Quality of Pack Symbols

The place to discuss things relating specifically to The Pack
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Quality of Pack Symbols

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I don't know if this has been raised anywhere else, but, my pack symbol is getting worn; the paint rubs off easily under basic abrasion and the thing itself gets chipped. Has anyone else gotten this? I'dve figured it would be able to withstand the rigors of just getting worn every day; whenever I'm doing stuff that might muck it up I generally take it off.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Mine is flecking paint too, but nothin g major. I'm planning on touching it up with acrylics and adding a couple coats of sealer.

I am actually amazed at how durable the material is. Many times I've leaned over a countertop and cringed as I heard it smack against the hard surface, but it's still just fine. Can't believe I havn't managed to shatter it.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Actually, mine is just as pristene as when I got it eight or nine months ago at A-Kon 17. Perhaps one of those batches was made differently?
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
nekocj
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nekocj »

Ah why are you guys complaining? At least you got one :cry:

:lol: eh well that kind of sucks though, but the touching up and sealing sounds like a good idea Pariah :D
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Oh heck, I'm not complaining. :)
Re-touching is simple enough. I just still can't believe how durable these things are. ^^
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I got one of the first rounds, which are different from the ones that went out last A-Kon. Mine has picked up a few scratches, but I've brushed over them with a black Sharpee and it's not noticeable. The second round ones seem less scratch prone. Mine has too much sentimental value to complain about. Besides, it was given freely at appreciable expense and effort to make.

I've seen at least three versions:

The first round: given at A-Kon 2004 to Figarou, Arania, and myself, and also worn by various staff members with ReQuest and Cashel. Word has it Goldenwolf has one, too. These are a darker gray, pewter, and brown, and, being plaster, are the ones that may be prone to scratching. One was also featured in Red Victoria; Ed Landers' character wore it conspicuously in the "you have to stab them first" scene, and again in the A-Kon reshoot of "She's back!"

The second round: given at A-Kon 2005. Light tan foreground, silver logo, and darker brown back; these are roughly the same size but about 1/3 thinner. These also seem to be the ones going out by mail. They are the ones less scratch prone, possibly made of epoxy resin.

A few miscellaneous: I've seen Silver and Brownrigg wearing bronze versions of the first round. I've also seen them wearing a metallic blue version that also seems to be made of an upgraded metal. These would seem to be limited prototypes.

I suspect future Pack pendants will be more similar to the second round. If The Pack or Freeborn become a phenomenon, these Pack logo pendants could become collector's items. Given their personal nature, there won't be many showing up on eBay, either.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I'm not complaining, I was just wondering, since mine is...light tan on front, with a dark brown recessed symbol and a very dark brown back. The edges were "pre-worn" which is fine, but the paint scratched off pretty easily. Mine looks like it's plaster, so i may well just spend a few days in art class duplicating it in ceramics.
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

The ones they gave out at A-Kon 2006 used only two colors. A light tan background, with a dark brown logo and back. These don't feel like the proper weight to be made of plaster. The colors only fade slightly where rubbing occurs, which indicates its likely to be an acrylic paint.

AB or Silver would have to confirm it with us.
-Kaebora
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'm mis-remembering, then; I said that it had a silver logo, whereas it instead is dark brown.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Well, I'm making a similar one in art class out of clay so it cna be fired. That way my real one gets left at home and the ceramic on goes to school.. or something.
Werewolf-Kin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Healer lvl 1

Post by Werewolf-Kin »

im just confused. how do you know what your pack symbol is? do you make up one or something? cuz i dont have one. is it cuz i dont have a pack? :cry:
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

No, it's the Pack Pendant, search around in the forums.
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

And here we can see Kaebora, sporting his trendy black polo, and Pack pendant on a gold chain. Turn and pose! :D I hate this picture. :wink:

Edit:
Picture removed by Kaebora. "That photo feels too damn ominous and scary when posted in this forum!"
Last edited by Kaebora on Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Kaebora
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

I dont wear mine around (infact, it is on my desk at home) because I have to have rugged jewlry. I did notice some of the paint comming off last time I wore it though.. Nothing too bad.
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

I have worn mines everyday since A-kon, almost never take it off heh I even sleep with it on. Yeah I did notice some paint coming off, also I changed mines to a more stronger type rope, cause that lil ring kinda wasn't well working to well :|
Werewolf-Kin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Healer lvl 1

Post by Werewolf-Kin »

oh ok. well. ill look around
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I wear mine everyday, except today, because i didn't get any time to put it on, heh...
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by *nagowteena* »

I wouldn't know, don't have one. :(
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Then I have no idea why you just posted here. At all.

I managed to fire a clay one. Now to glaze and refire...

Note to others: the symbol wont survive getting dropped on the ground from four feet. Which I found out the hard way.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

It does look and feel very brittle and easy to chip and scratch.

I don't think that is going to be an issue for me though, as I don't expect to wear or carry it around with me often anyway. It would get pulverized if I had it on me at work. However, I plan to buy or make a neckstrap for it eventually, as I'm sure I will want to wear it as a necklace eventually. ...just not at work.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Kzinistzerg wrote:Note to others: the symbol wont survive getting dropped on the ground from four feet. Which I found out the hard way.
Geeze I dropped mines several times..Prollie only reason being I had grabbed it for it actually connected, but it still ended up falling an yes this happened everytime, I try to save it from really falling lol

You know I was thinking of somehow making one like you did Kzin I dunno even where to start, but I was thinkin of trying a different design all together, but like I said I dunno where to start. Well i'm looking at my necklace right now. Not really that much change from my last post here. Well maybe a lil more paint :Jester3:
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Well, my brother has a mill for metalworking, so he's making a similar thing out of aluminum stock for me. Plus my dad can glue back together the symbol that broke.
Zombie
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ribbed For Her Pleasure

Post by Zombie »

Depending on what it is made out of to begin with, you may be able to powdercoat it. Powdercoating is tough and really durable (A friend of mine had his Jeeps frame done- you can whack it with a hammer and it wont chip!) and there are do-it-yourself kits so you can do it at home. Obviously, if its wood or a metal with a low melting point (lead,gold, pewter, silver etc...) it will get ruined. We dont want that! For touch up painting , you could try doping compound (available at most hobby shops) as a sealer. This stuff is tough too, and it can resist the corrosive effects of methanol and or nitromethane. I cant really reccomend anything unless I know what it is made of though.
I work with too many chemicals.....
:cafinated:
-Zombie
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Most of them are plaster. I heard that the latest ones are a resin polymer, but nobody confirmed that with me.
-Kaebora
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Well, I made a little imitation one out of clay and fired it, and it's quite nice.