Showing the werewolf's softer side.

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

chezarawolf wrote:What did ya'll (Sorry, I'm a Texan; Howdy!) think about my idea of the soft side? Was it a little to mushy?

No, think that might actually make a good opening secene for a moive.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Marcwolf
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Marcwolf »

Hi Folks..

Actually - when I perform in my fursuit http://marcwolf.org I often get people mentioning how real he is.. And I am constantly working to improve it.

When I am wearing Marc If so feel a very strong spiritual connection to my wolf side, but fortunately I am a pretty open and friendly person so that comes through as well.

So here are some observations..

When working with children etc I will keep my profile very low.. Play peek-a-boo with them. Often the will just want to come up and climb all over me as if I was just a big dog. So I presume that when a werwolf is in either full wolf form, or half form people will realtion to him more with what they common interact with. And that is a dog.

Marc can also look pretty scary too. Wolves can fix you with their eyes. We know that from ictures etc. Now a costume has a very blank stare so I have made a set of fake blinking pupils to give him life.

I have notices that just changin ones stance a little can look menacing esp whe looking directly at someone.. Or shifting into a more frendly stance and looking just away can be more friendly.

One must also be willing to loose one's dignity when interacting with humans. You will be touched, petted, have yout tail pulled and ear's tugged. Just like looking after the pack's cubs for a day :lol:

But it is worth it as people remeber you as a friend rather than as a menance or somehting to be feared.

Also - Wolves have thick fur to protect them from playful bites and scratches.. Humans do not. So when intercting with them you must always be aware of how delicate they are and act accordingly.

Just my observations..

Marcwolf
Walk Quietly Through This Earth
Leave Nothing But Smiles and PawPrints
chezarawolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chezarawolf »

Really? :o Thanks Lupin! :D

This is sorta off topic( Sorry!), but does anyone happen to know any therianthropes living in Texas? I feel so alone! Everyone else lives in Canada or something! H E L P M E ! ! !
Hark
Hear the howl that eats the moon alive
Your fur is on fire, the smoke turns the sky raven black
And the world upon you back will crack
Marcwolf
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Marcwolf »

Figarou wrote:
Timber-WoIf wrote:just a random thought.... if you were in wolf form, or better yet, gestalt, and some random dude decided he wanted to pat your head/scratch your ear/ etc., would that be insulting? Probibly if you were trying to be scary...

insulting? Naaaa....werewolves love belly rubs!!

That or rub the right spot and watch that hind leg go wild!! :lol:
err.. Depending on the sex of the werewolf and who and WHERE on the belly they are rubbing..

Is that left leg, right leg.. or MIDDLE Leg (or a combination of all three)

<Ducks and runs from the censors>

Marc
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Marcwolf wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Timber-WoIf wrote:just a random thought.... if you were in wolf form, or better yet, gestalt, and some random dude decided he wanted to pat your head/scratch your ear/ etc., would that be insulting? Probibly if you were trying to be scary...

insulting? Naaaa....werewolves love belly rubs!!

That or rub the right spot and watch that hind leg go wild!! :lol:
err.. Depending on the sex of the werewolf and who and WHERE on the belly they are rubbing..

Is that left leg, right leg.. or MIDDLE Leg (or a combination of all three)

<Ducks and runs from the censors>

Marc
:duckbomb:
Marcwolf
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Marcwolf »

<Laughs>

You know.. without my fur its just going to make things more obvious... :wink:

Take Care

Marc!!!
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Marcwolf wrote:Is that left leg, right leg.. or MIDDLE Leg (or a combination of all three)
*shrugs* Probably not the "middle" leg as you call it. Most people already mentioned they wouldn't like having their tail pulled, so I imagine it'd be a sensitive area that said werewolf would not take too kindly to intentionally being handled.

(remember Marc, if you're going to challenge the sensors, make sure you have two ways out). :wink:
Ronkonkoma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Going with the moon

Post by Ronkonkoma »

one way to show the ww's softer side,

Have a WW thats stuck in gestalt form, and limping on one leg go and take a bath, with a rubber duckie :bounce: and just have them rest there till WW reverts back to human
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Ronkonkoma wrote:one way to show the ww's softer side,

Have a WW thats stuck in gestalt form, and limping on one leg go and take a bath, with a rubber duckie :bounce: and just have them rest there till WW reverts back to human

Mmmm hmmmm. Suuuurrrrrre

And while the WW is resting there, the others pour ice cold water over him.

:jester:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Ronkonkoma wrote:Have a WW thats stuck in gestalt form, and limping on one leg go and take a bath, with a rubber duckie :bounce: and just have them rest there till WW reverts back to human
Now that you mention it, it would be kinda funny to see a werewolf dogpaddling through water.
Ronkonkoma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Going with the moon

Post by Ronkonkoma »

Lupin wrote:
Ronkonkoma wrote:Have a WW thats stuck in gestalt form, and limping on one leg go and take a bath, with a rubber duckie :bounce: and just have them rest there till WW reverts back to human
Now that you mention it, it would be kinda funny to see a werewolf dogpaddling through water.
heh, maybe have a few Werewolves goofing off around a pool (with high fences to keep humans from snooping on them) when the werewolf in gestalt form gets pushed into the pool.... werewolf gets out and shakes out their fur, and anyone too close gets wet
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Ronkonkoma wrote:heh, maybe have a few Werewolves goofing off around a pool (with high fences to keep humans from snooping on them) when the werewolf in gestalt form gets pushed into the pool.... werewolf gets out and shakes out their fur, and anyone too close gets wet

Hehehe. Or just a pond somewhere in the middle of the forest.
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Showing the werewolf's softer side.

Post by Moonstalker »

Figarou wrote:New topic!! Get your thinking caps on!! :D

I know some people wants to see a friendly werewolf. But how friendly are we talking? As a human, he could help an old lady cross the street. Or maybe hold the door open for someone.

As a wolf, he could let children pet him, scratch behind the ears, or give him a belly rub. (Man, I sure could go for some of that now!!) :D

Now how about the Gestalt form? What kind of "soft side" are we looking for? Something to make the people go "AWWW how cute." For example....a Gestalt werewolf letting a baby duckling snuggle up in its fur. Yes, I know. To childish

I'm not sure what to expect. A death scene, perhaps. We saw one like it in Van Helsing. Thing is, he killed that woman before the soft side of the werewolf appeared.

Thoughts please.
I'm not sure is this been in conversation but I'll say it anyway.

I watched Van Helsing again 'cause I got it as a Christmas present. In the end of it I noticed how well emotions of the werewolf were made. Werewolf wasn't beast anymore, it looked so emotional. Anyway I wasn't impressed 'cause of the werewolves in the movie. But for Christ sake, at least put a tail for it in Freeborn :cry:

I think it would be nice to see these things in Freeborn. Werewolf showing it's soft side is something I would like to see. Exactly something that makes people think "AAAAAWWWWW!" :D
But not anything too sad though.
Werewolf could hug the mate or friend in gestalt, friend could be human or gestalt too. I would like to see gestalt hugging another human or something, it wakes so warm feelings
Usually you don't see this in those s*** Hollywood werewolf horror films but it would be nice to get soft emotions in Freeborn. That is interesting in werewolves: they might look dangerous and bloodthirsted predators but also they got soft emotions. Little bit like humans :wink:
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I liked how in The Brothers Grimm, the WW in their came across a french guy and he of course started freaking out. The WW just kindof shook his head in disgust and walked casually away :D
Furya
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dirty little f***
Location: Talking to myself. It's the first sign of insanity.

Re: Showing the werewolf's softer side.

Post by Furya »

Figarou wrote:New topic!! Get your thinking caps on!! :D

I know some people wants to see a friendly werewolf. But how friendly are we talking? As a human, he could help an old lady cross the street. Or maybe hold the door open for someone.

As a wolf, he could let children pet him, scratch behind the ears, or give him a belly rub. (Man, I sure could go for some of that now!!) :D

Now how about the Gestalt form? What kind of "soft side" are we looking for? Something to make the people go "AWWW how cute." For example....a Gestalt werewolf letting a baby duckling snuggle up in its fur. Yes, I know. To childish

I'm not sure what to expect. A death scene, perhaps. We saw one like it in Van Helsing. Thing is, he killed that woman before the soft side of the werewolf appeared.

Thoughts please.

they should be friendly enough to live in packs, be aroun d humans without wanting to tear the,m up, but mean enough to pulverize anything that gets near their cubs.
wolfbuddy
Custom Title: Confused Loner

Post by wolfbuddy »

I vision Werewolves more as hidden protectors more than killers. maybey animals like chicken or other food they would kill but not people unless they were out of control or the person was going to hurt him/her or somthing. I can't realy draw what i imagine so its realy hard to show you what i mean and still have it look like i want it to be.
The Truth Will Be Revealed!!!
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Here's a potential softener...

WWs in gestalt giving each other a back- or shoulder-rub. Like Larry Niven said, everything from a mouse up loves to have their ears etc. rubbed. Remember the scene in Ringworld where the Kzin was getting a tandem massage from a bevy of beauties at a party?
ImageImageImageImage
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

'Normal' wolves can take care of human baby's (without eating them :P ), so thats very interesting.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Dingo
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by Dingo »

I'd love to see a few humorous scenes like the oldies pranking a newbie

-Kyle- a newbie is having trouble getting out of gestalt form and feeling a little down. His buddies show up and notice he's having trouble with the remote. They change the channel and ask him if he likes the program. He nods or whines, and then finally they come to the animal planet or some cheese werewolf move and he gives them a silent "you've gotta be kidding me!" look and goes to raid the fridge.

-It's someone's birtday and the gestalt gets a little to caught up in the excitment, picks up a pal in human form and gives a big ol' bear hug.
"Uh...Stacy.....you're shedding...*cough*"

- A woman is getting prepared for a nice night at the opera and she's talking off camera/stage while getting prepared. You hear these whines and such and the camera pans to a gestalt wolfman watching tv(maybe a sports event or wrestling) and she turns "Hank.....come on we agreed to the opera. Get changed and hurry up"

Just a few ideas heh
"Dude you can't fool me into jumping off the roof again..."
"Ok bro you got me....hey check it out a redheaded girl in a swimsuit holding a bag of freshly cooked bacon!"

"Cool!!....hey....aaaaaaarrrgh"
Ack42

I remember!

Post by Ack42 »

vrikasatma wrote:Here's a potential softener...

WWs in gestalt giving each other a back- or shoulder-rub. Like Larry Niven said, everything from a mouse up loves to have their ears etc. rubbed. Remember the scene in Ringworld where the Kzin was getting a tandem massage from a bevy of beauties at a party?
Yes, I remember that! I also remember that "Speaker-to-Animals" got mad at Teela Brown for calling him cute. :)
I don't conform in my form of non-conformity...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Silverclaw wrote:I liked how in The Brothers Grimm, the WW in their came across a french guy and he of course started freaking out. The WW just kindof shook his head in disgust and walked casually away :D
*nods* Like I said before, thanks to the typical brainless savage Hollywood usually depicts werewolves as being, anything could be a step towards the softer side. Even a werewolf narrowing his eyes harshly at someone without growling would be softer than what we can usually expect.

I also like the idea of there being a time minimum for how long until a werewolf can shift back (IE: time to recover physically and mentally from the shift to gestalt before shifting back), so if we assume that no werewolf can go from man to gestalt and back to man in less than five minutes, it could allow for gestalts to appear in some unconventional situations. I've noticed a lot of the ones that came up in this thread involved watching TV, which I imagine is one of the few things a werewolf could do since even going by a window lookling like that could risk exposure of the pack.

I also imagine the easiest way to involve humor would be in a "sitting around watching the clock" scenario.
mexwerewolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by mexwerewolf »

Terastas wrote: I also imagine the easiest way to involve humor would be in a "sitting around watching the clock" scenario.
It would be funny just seeing the WW going back and forth in the living room, with a worried look in his face and watching his wrist watch (hey, why not, they just need to adjust the size of the strap a bit) every fifteen seconds.
Howling Werewolf
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

mexwerewolf wrote:
Terastas wrote: I also imagine the easiest way to involve humor would be in a "sitting around watching the clock" scenario.
It would be funny just seeing the WW going back and forth in the living room, with a worried look in his face and watching his wrist watch (hey, why not, they just need to adjust the size of the strap a bit) every fifteen seconds.
*nods* Yeah, I can see it.

*werewolf is pacing around the room nervously while two others, at least one in human form, watch impatiently*
Human werewolf: (as Butthead) "Settle down Beavis!"

That's another thing we could consider: Impressions. Imitation isn't just a strictly human thing, but humans are pretty much the only species that will mimic something else just for a laugh.

For some reason though, the example of a werewolf doing an impression that I could think of would be if a werewolf in human form says or does something really feminine in front of two gestalt werewolves, to which the gestalts respond waving their hands a-la "like a fairy."
mexwerewolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by mexwerewolf »

I think the fact that showing emotions at all is a way to show a softer side. Showing a WW happy, worried, embarrazed, sad, nervous and all the rest is a very good way to humanize it a bit. Using only eyes, face, posture and maybe tail, you could do a vast array of emotions that could be picked up by the audience but they would be very subtle. I don't expect to see a werewolf (in gestalf form) crying over the floor because of something tragic just happened, but we could see a glimpse of his pain thru his eyes and face.

The movies up so far has only showed them in anger and savagery, as if they could only have those emotions (or probably trying to portray them as with lack of any emotion at all).

But of course, maybe a good prank happening in the movie could be a great comic. Just not overuse them. It's a drama after all, maybe one or two at most.
Howling Werewolf
Yakarin
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Lady

Post by Yakarin »

Another big difference between most werewolves and anthros is the fact that old-school and almost every werewolf can't speak clearly the human languague when shifted. Also, werewolves look more tall, stronger and savage than an average furry and of course, don't use clothes or human weapons.

About showing emotions, i agree with the fact that good human = good ww, bad human = bad ww. I think a good way to show tenderness in a ww would be having a ww lamenting (you know crying like a wolf) because people is afraid of them and run away. There could also be a time where people chase an inexpert or pacifist ww and the ww just curls in a corner afraid to be killed. A wolf would show nervous but would instinctly keep growling until there's no hope, but a half-human would have more cowardness and could just curl in fear.

What do you think?
Auuuuoooouuuooouuuuu!