Showing the werewolf's softer side.

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Could one possible reason why a werewolf would smoke, aside from having been addicted before being infected, would be to dull his own senses, so that he wouldn't be subjected to sensory overload?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

I don't see why; sensory overload would only be a problem for maybe an hour or so after one's first shift.
Sanity is relative.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Apokryltaros wrote:Could one possible reason why a werewolf would smoke, aside from having been addicted before being infected, would be to dull his own senses, so that he wouldn't be subjected to sensory overload?
Not likely. Cigarettes aren't naturally relaxing, and chances are that if the werewolf were addicted prior, the last way to calm him down would be to show him the object of his addiction -- he may become more stressed out instead while he tries to properly light it and inhale on it with bigger hands and a bigger muzzle. Breathing exercises could work, but their intention would be to help the new werewolf adjust to shifting, and introducing any kind of drug, even tobacco, durring the shift could just make him even more dependent on it than he was before.
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Let's not forget the possibility that either shifting or the regenerative ability could probably clear out one's addictions quite quickly. I can imagine a newbie finally returning to human form, feeling relieved, grabbing a smoke, and proceeding to cough himself crazy.
Sanity is relative.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Ralith Lupus wrote:Let's not forget the possibility that either shifting or the regenerative ability could probably clear out one's addictions quite quickly. I can imagine a newbie finally returning to human form, feeling relieved, grabbing a smoke, and proceeding to cough himself crazy.
I don't know if it would clear up the addiction unless it was a matter of one's body needing it like some lifelong drug addicts eventually do. Most addictions are in terms of mentality, so while I can't picture lycanthropy clearing an addiction, I could imagine the adrenaline of shifting or the new senses and experiences in their gestalt/full wolf forms replacing the addiction.

The easiest way to stop smoking is to not even think about it, and giving somebody an alternative physical form... I think in most cases, that would become the subject of the majority of their daydreaming.
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Agreed.
Sanity is relative.
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Showing the werewolf's softer side.

Post by Moonstalker »

Figarou wrote:New topic!! Get your thinking caps on!! :D

I know some people wants to see a friendly werewolf. But how friendly are we talking? As a human, he could help an old lady cross the street. Or maybe hold the door open for someone.

As a wolf, he could let children pet him, scratch behind the ears, or give him a belly rub. (Man, I sure could go for some of that now!!) :D

Now how about the Gestalt form? What kind of "soft side" are we looking for? Something to make the people go "AWWW how cute." For example....a Gestalt werewolf letting a baby duckling snuggle up in its fur. Yes, I know. To childish

I'm not sure what to expect. A death scene, perhaps. We saw one like it in Van Helsing. Thing is, he killed that woman before the soft side of the werewolf appeared.

Thoughts please.

Hmm... this is interesting. Softer side, lets see. I think they would show they softer side to lifemates and close friends. They could help a friend or helpless human even in a werewolf form. And if were saved humans life I'm pretty sure human will keep his mouth shut.
I've seen much werewolf art in the internet and weres can be suprisingly compassionable. Goldenwolf has good image 'bout this. Theres so warm pictures about werewolves and I love the way they show they feelings :D
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
chezarawolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chezarawolf »

I agree about the showing the soft side. If a werewolf is shown being no more than a bloodthirsty beast, than people are going to believe it is the wolf side that is murderous; and that makes humans hate wolves even more than they already do. :x Stupid humans. They believe what they hear in fairy tales instead of meeting the creature face to face.
What I think would be cool when showing the soft side would be:

The werewolf is stalking prey in the forest when he comes across a lost child who is desperately crying for his mother. The kid is maybe about 4?
The werewolf shifts into his wolf shape and approaches the child cautiously, wagging his tail and pretending to be a dog.
The child is scared at first, naturally. But the wolf licks his hand and face, showing he's friendly. The wolf leads him to the border of the town or city, and let's him go there. (Of course the werewolf would know where the city is, Who couldn't recognize that stench?)
As the child gets near civilization, he gives one last look back, and hears the haunting howl of the werewolf...
:D Awwwww... I think it's cute, anyway. Don't you?
Hark
Hear the howl that eats the moon alive
Your fur is on fire, the smoke turns the sky raven black
And the world upon you back will crack
Alteron
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

*blinks*

Post by Alteron »

Actually, most 'anti wolf' stigma comes not from movie and modern society, but instead from ancient times, when wolves hunted the same food as humans, humans occasionly stumbled onto wolf pups (wolves WILL attack humans to protect their cubs. Sorry, but that's true) The stories of 'evil' wolves probably started up because wolves are big, scary and group hunters. by creating works of fiction around them, it let the people of that time feel some measure of control.
And also, look at Russian folktales. The wolf is usually not 'evil'. In fac the wolf is often he old 'wise man' who gives advice in the form of riddles! Foxes are clever, etc.

Onto the subject of softer side:
Hmmmmm... Well I hope it is alright to reiterate as well as add on?
In human form, any common type of 'human kindness' would work. Helping littlye old ladies cross the street, or carry heavy bags. Seeing someone with a stalled car and helping them push it to a gas station. Just sitting down and hving a quiet drink and laugh with friends. Simular things.
In wolf from, just sitting, laying down beside someone in need of comfort, playing tag, stealing someones sock and playing keep away, tackling people and 'kissing' them to death (Merrick, my sheltie, did that :) ) 'Herding' or playing with kids and the like.
In gesalt form, it could be any of those. Or perhaps saving someone rather then killing them :wink:

-Alteron
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

In fact, as far as I can tell, the evil image of the wolf originates from a single place: the old european church. They portrayed the wolf as an animal of the devil; everywhere uninfluinced by this has a very definitively positive portrayl. Even withing the church there was much contradiction, as occasion they portray them positively too; for example, some saint was killed and a wolf guarded his body (or was it just his head?) until friends came to retrieve it. There's even a piece of ancient literature (can't remember what it's called, if anyone really wants to know msg me or post here and I'll look it up) that has a benevolent werewolf defending the protagonist's family (or someone good, at least :P ).

Anyway. I agree with the human and wolf form ideas you suggest, particularily in pretending to be a dog and giving comfort and/or assistance. In gestalt, though, helping someone probably would prove too great a risk; instead, I envision werewolves showing gentleness among eachother.

[edit: added something more on-topic]
Sanity is relative.
Alteron
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

ERm...

Post by Alteron »

Actually it wasn't so much the old european church as it was the old european culture. The church REFLECTS this, but delve into history and you'll see that the 'anti wolf' stigma ppears well before it worked it's way into church, and animals are usually seen in a positive light in the bible.
Old church was actuallymuch more anti-CAT then anything :lol:
I don't remember ever reading any 'postive' light werewolf stories from that era though... could I have that link if you ever find it? I'm studying to get a degree in research librarian, so I love knwoing interesting tidbits :D

Anyway, I'm rambling... so to cut it down.
Europe=tend to have big bad wolf, the wrewolf reflects this
Asia=neutral. some good, some bad, but wolves rarely show up in general
russia=pro wolf.
south america=overal neutral, if I recall correctly
austraila=didn't have indigenoius canines until recently (historically speaking)
north america=overall, neutral/pro wolf, until the introductin of european folktales/stigma

Back ON subject (I ramble when I'm tired, can you tell? :) )
Hmmm, has anyone here but me read Blood and Chocolate?
In case someone HASN"T read it but plans to, I'll try not to spoil any plot points;)
Anyway, I think that would be a fairly realistic view on werewolves and their life structure. they can be kind and caring with each other, but they can be hard if need be.
A WW pack, certain of their sfatey, could be very 'old english gentlmen' with their interactions;) And also, if they lived in an 'out of the way' enough area, where the 'normal' humans around them knew and kept the secret, you might see the 'soft gesalt' actions

-Alteron
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Ralith Lupus wrote:Anyway. I agree with the human and wolf form ideas you suggest, particularily in pretending to be a dog and giving comfort and/or assistance. In gestalt, though, helping someone probably would prove too great a risk; instead, I envision werewolves showing gentleness among eachother.
Good point. If they were going to offer any form of assistance in gestalt form, it'd have to be someone they considered trustworthy.

Either that or they could sneak in a random act of kindness here and there, where they could offer help without actually being seen for what they are. If it's a stormy and/or foggy night, a motorist is caught in the mud and, for one reason or another, a werewolf knows that the area is not safe (like because there's a savage werewolf on the loose, or because there's a hunter after him and the werewolf doesn't want any innocents in the crossfire), it'd be dark enough that he could give the car a push the next time the driver hits the gas, and if done correctly, he could do it hard enough to send the driver on his way, and subtle enough that the driver won't know he was pushed and instead think he finally got the traction he needed.

I doubt werewolves would always be Mr. Helpful since they need to maintain their anonymity, but there are some things that we just know will haunt us forever if we don't act upon them. The trick would be lending a hand in such a way that either nobody will see you, or nobody will believe it.

If, for example, somebody checks into the infirmary with deep teeth marks all over him and claims that he was attacked by a werewolf, that could alert the Men In Black. . .

But if somebody checks into the police department with minor scrapes and bruises and claims that a werewolf pulled his shirt over his head, spun him around a few times and gave him a nudge downhill, that could alert the Men In White. :wink:
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Hehe. Brings up another good point: there's no particular reason for werewolves to be any more helpful than anyone else. Well, perhaps a little; it'd do well to prove to a noob or even someone else for whom it was necessary that they're not the spawn of the devil or something like that Also, I can only speak for myself here, but as a werewolf I think I would have quite a good time wandering around in wolf form comforting/assisting random people and performing other random good deeds.

Back to gestalt good deeds. Helping someone, particularily in a dangerous or requiring great strength/agility situation could be a very good way to introduce them to werewolves if it had to be done and they weren't very prepared (while one of us would be an example of someone who is prepared). Random acts of punishment could be good too, particularily to someone stupid enough to go and talk about it (assuming you dodn't leave obvious marks, and didn't let them get too clear a look at you)
Sanity is relative.
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Ralith Lupus wrote:In fact, as far as I can tell, the evil image of the wolf originates from a single place: the old european church. They portrayed the wolf as an animal of the devil; everywhere uninfluinced by this has a very definitively positive portrayl. Even withing the church there was much contradiction, as occasion they portray them positively too; for example, some saint was killed and a wolf guarded his body (or was it just his head?) until friends came to retrieve it. There's even a piece of ancient literature (can't remember what it's called, if anyone really wants to know msg me or post here and I'll look it up) that has a benevolent werewolf defending the protagonist's family (or someone good, at least :P ).

Anyway. I agree with the human and wolf form ideas you suggest, particularily in pretending to be a dog and giving comfort and/or assistance. In gestalt, though, helping someone probably would prove too great a risk; instead, I envision werewolves showing gentleness among eachother.

[edit: added something more on-topic]

No to mention that in dark middle age, if you didn't believe werewolves to be exist you were heretic. People thought werewolves to get they orders straight from satan himself :lol:
Stupid isn't it. If something scares you it's always evil. :P
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Lone_Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Moonstalker wrote: No to mention that in dark middle age, if you didn't believe werewolves to be exist you were heretic. People thought werewolves to get they orders straight from satan himself :lol:
Stupid isn't it. If something scares you it's always evil. :P
Not terribly unexpected, unfortunately. People are scared of evil, and the unknown essentially means potential for evil to originate. In an effort to protect themselves, anything not like them has to be evil it seems. Look at how many types of "evil" throughout history turn out to be a figment of the imagination due to fear of evil. Unfortunate but true. Though, it would make more sense for "created evil" to be something unsuspected if you're going all that way. Ah well, human nature, a bugger of a thing.
Alteron
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

On the subject of softer sides...

Post by Alteron »

While I most definitly agree that, yes, there's no reason for WW to show the softer side more then the average human/wolf... I'm just going to point out that I've yet to see a movie that shows anything but the 'SNARLING SAVAGE BEAST THAT KNOWS NOTHING BUT DEATH AND PAIN BLLAAAAHAHAHA!' :D
Hence, showing some softer side... and also some other emotions (fear, saddness, confusion) would be nice, simple to show that WW are not mindless beasts of the devil;)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Ralith Lupus wrote: Well, perhaps a little; it'd do well to prove to a noob or even someone else for whom it was necessary that they're not the spawn of the devil or something like that Also, I can only speak for myself here, but as a werewolf I think I would have quite a good time wandering around in wolf form comforting/assisting random people and performing other random good deeds.
Very good point. Acts of violence definitely get more publicity than acts of kindness. Sure, there'd still be the tabloids and the fanatical werewolf hunters either way, but not the FBI.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

just a random thought.... if you were in wolf form, or better yet, gestalt, and some random dude decided he wanted to pat your head/scratch your ear/ etc., would that be insulting? Probibly if you were trying to be scary...
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Alteron
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Alteron »

...That would be SUCH a funny scene... I mean I can picture it so clearly, and I Can. Not. Stop. Laughing.
RRRRRRAAAAARRR! *gets skritched*
It probably would be insulting, if they were trying to be scarey. If they were trying to be NOT scarey... well, skritches and pats would actually probalby be socially 'acceptable' to WWs, the equivilent of hugs and a kiss on the cheek in the average american society
Erm, average american culture before the advent of 'if you touch someone you are gay' rant that we're currently on.
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Physical contact is much more acceptable among wolves, and I would expect it to follow that way among werewolves. There would be inappropriate times, times when it could be taken as belittling or condescending, but for the most part I think it would be happily accepted.

[edit: typo]
Last edited by white on Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sanity is relative.
Alteron
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Yea!

Post by Alteron »

I'm not the only one to think that!
ThankyouRalith!!!
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Timber-WoIf wrote:just a random thought.... if you were in wolf form, or better yet, gestalt, and some random dude decided he wanted to pat your head/scratch your ear/ etc., would that be insulting? Probibly if you were trying to be scary...
Nah, especially the 'dude' was a female and I was playing up the cute doggy aspect for whatever reason. :grinp:

But anyone I would be using the gestalt form to scare would already know that I'm a werewolf.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Timber-WoIf wrote:just a random thought.... if you were in wolf form, or better yet, gestalt, and some random dude decided he wanted to pat your head/scratch your ear/ etc., would that be insulting? Probibly if you were trying to be scary...

insulting? Naaaa....werewolves love belly rubs!!

That or rub the right spot and watch that hind leg go wild!! :lol:
chezarawolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chezarawolf »

Yes! I have read Blood and Chocolate, and it was the best werewolf book I have ever read. It described the way I picture the werewolf to be perfectly. But I was really suprised by the way it ended. :o
But was still very good! It would be so cool if they turned into a movie... :D

And you peoples are right about how the hatred of th Wolf began.
I forgot about all that stuff. :oops:
What did ya'll (Sorry, I'm a Texan; Howdy!) think about my idea of the soft side? Was it a little to mushy?
Hark
Hear the howl that eats the moon alive
Your fur is on fire, the smoke turns the sky raven black
And the world upon you back will crack
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

chezarawolf wrote:Yes! I have read Blood and Chocolate, and it was the best werewolf book I have ever read. It described the way I picture the werewolf to be perfectly. But I was really suprised by the way it ended. :o
But was still very good! It would be so cool if they turned into a movie... :D

And you peoples are right about how the hatred of th Wolf began.
I forgot about all that stuff. :oops:
What did ya'll (Sorry, I'm a Texan; Howdy!) think about my idea of the soft side? Was it a little to mushy?
Ooooo.. a fellow Texan!!

*tips the hat* :cowboywolf: "Howdy, ma'am"

What you said could work in a children's novel. :D