"300" Reviews (No spoilers!)

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

"300" Reviews (No spoilers!)

Post by Kaebora »

If any of you wish to post reviews here, please try not to give any specifics that will ruin the movie for others. Blot out the section of text with the special tags if you simply HAVE to mention something from the story.

The film adaptation of Frank Miller's graphic novel "300", to me, is a roaring success.

The filming style used holds true to the art style of the novel, as well as the attitude. Most notably, another rule of filmmaking is broken with great results. They often will change the frame rate during many of the scenes, particularly during battles. The raw feeling you get from seeing a slow motion strike hit real motion the moment it hits the victim is quite a rush. They didn't overdo it. The CG visuals seemingly don't exist. The graphics work fits seamlessly into the scenes with the characters, making one unified picture, rather than something that looks fake.

The battles to not look choreographed. They look as if they are improvised, which provides more realism to the movie. Some of the kills made are bizarre and nearly all are grotesque due to the camera styles used. They definitely added more blood to each shot in post production. It without a doubt punches up the drama of the situation. Each different faction of soldiers has its own fighting style, and they stick with it. In that way we get a sense of different backgrounds from each foriegn fighting force.

The characters you love to hate are also big in this movie. In fact, when one such character finally got his just desserts with a timely death, the audience cheered. I LOVE it when that happens with a movie. You gain a sense of loyalty to the protagonist side, and cheer on their progress. There is also a good mix of humor in the film, especially when the Spartans show off their pride and arrogance towards everyone else. The scenes where the Spartan king speaks to the enemy characters is sweet as can be. I even laughed myself at how pissed they would get.

"300" displays themes about corruption, liberty, importance of family, and how the impact of a person's actions outweighs their words. I recommend this movie to anyone who likes bloody war movies. I also think that anyone who likes epic or dramatic movies will enjoy this as well. Be warned though... if you have a weak stomach, you may be better off skipping out on this one.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Just got back from the movie. It friggin rocks!

Killer musical score, great story, courageous characters- Plus some of the most impressive battle scenes I have seen.

One of the things I really liked was the portrayal of the queen. It was just a minor part in the film, but it really stuck out to me. I'm no raging femenist (we have equality, that's all I'm concerned about. Not "female empowerment" crap), but I get so tired of seeing women that fall down the stairs in high heels and just stand there doing nothing while another character is being attacked. I love that the queen in the movie had a spine! One scene with her I found particularly satisfying(you'll know which one if you see the movie, when it happened everyone in the theatre was yelling "YEAH!!")

One thing about the movie that kind of threw me off was the visual style. Everything was highly stylized. It was obviously shot on greenscreen and it looked like it took place in a painting. So don't be disappointed by the look of the wolf in the beginning of the movie, it isn't meant to be realistic. Some of the stranger human characters as well as animals are done the same way. That bit was a little awkward because some of the characters looked like they should be from a horror movie. But the movie is being told like a story, so the cinematics are done to show the impression that the speaker is giving as he recounts rather than a realistic depiction of the events.

Now, the movie is really gory, so it isn't for the squeamish.

All in all I was very pleased with it. This may even be one that I buy.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I agree with you on all counts Pariah. My favorite part was actually the part when the Queen takes her "bite out of crime", so to speak. Best drama I've seen in film in awhile.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I just got home from this movie a couple hours ago. Every showing tonight was completely sold out and everyone was pumped for it. And yes, I agree, THAT SCENE got us up in arms and cheering riotously!

I've heard this movie described as operatic. Yes, yes, yes!!

I went to see it with a couple friends and we're going to spread out, grab more friends and take a contingent. Shawnna said she wants to go again tomorrow but it's probably sold out for the entire weekend. That's okay, because I'm thinking of throwing a fast black wolf mask together and going costumed as a Black Fury, like me 'n the gang used to do back in the '80s when we went to blockbuster films.

The wolf kicked a**. I saw him (her?) walking out of the snow and I wanted to howl. I held onto it until the film was over and cut loose, right in the theatre. I didn't care what other people thought but everyone was so amped...especially after THAT SCENE...that it just flew. There's wolf howls throughout the whole movie; I think they have them in every scene in Sparta.

Okay, Kaebora said no spoilers, so I'll stop there. Anyway, GO SEE IT! It's like a Greek amphora painting come to life. It starts off with a bang and never, ever, EVER lets up for a moment, even through the end creds. The only thing I didn't like about the film was the bad guys are riding Friesians :x

But yeah, the battle rhino is cool. Xerxes is even cooler. Go see 300! Take a bunch of friends!!
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Kaebora wrote:I agree with you on all counts Pariah. My favorite part was actually the part when the Queen takes her "bite out of crime", so to speak. Best drama I've seen in film in awhile.
:lol:

Yeah, I could've done without all the boobies though. :P But in a movie that cool I can put up with it.

Yeah, the rhino was the second most awesome part of the movie, that and when they push the *ahem* wall. That made everybody laugh! I also really enjoyed the dry Spartan humor. They earned their right to arrogance.

The only thing I was disappounted in was the last battle of the 300. I wanted to see more of that. It didn't last long enough.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Aw c'mon. That was tasteful nudity..and why complain. At least the ladies got to stare at half-naked men for 99% of the movie :]
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

We're not gonna get it over here for a bit yet :cry:

But its a movie I've been SERIOUSLY wanting to see.

Can't Wait!! lck :howl:  :oo
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Saw it...LOVED it...can't think of much else to say.

...very, VERY Bloody...

Yet...strangely, though I am not a fan of gore, for some reason, the blood didn't bother me much in this film...and yet, the sex scene did, even though it was tastefully done, mostly. Go figure.

I guess I'm just a prude. Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
nekocj
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nekocj »

f-in awesome movie!! I didn't like the sex scene because it was totally pointless :D To me pointless sex scenes can ruin movies. Like BloodRayne! Although that movie was ruined without the pointless sex scene.

Yes that part with the queen was more than awesome is was...SUPER-awesome!!! Everyone in the theater was like "Hell yeah!" :lol: I loved the way they did the battle scenes. Slowing the camera for each crucial little hit. You would think it would get old after awhile but no it doesn't.

The wolf...hmm I always have problems with CG wolves, I never think anyone really does them right and although this one was supposed to be overexaggerated it just still wasn't right. My friends and I were talking about the inconsistencies about it all day after we saw it.

I thought the whole oracle part was pointless too. In fact I think that entire scene could have been left out.

-Neko
lupine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lupine »

Whats with this wolf? Anyone got a pic. seeing as I'm not gonna see it for a while? :(
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I'll be seeing this Friday, probably at the IMAX.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Well, I think that it would've helped if the rhino and elephants were exaggerated more. The wolf itself was awesome, but because the other animals looked mostly realistic, it seemed like it was a bit off.

Here's a picture of it
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/180926286 ... /970414488

And other stills from the movie-
http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/30/3730/gal2479/
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Possibly the wolf was a spirit-wolf? And that's why s/he looked...unnatural? I like to think that Leonidas's totem was Wolf and that was a totem encounter.
nekocj
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nekocj »

mm no it was just a wolf but because the David Wenham character was telling the story they wanted to make it like an overimagined type of thing, like the people he is telling the story are imagining it as he tells it. Does that make sense? Not that it wasn't cool...it just didn't look right. Disproportional or something I don't know.

-Neko
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Mmmmh...good story but I think I'll settle with "it was a totem encounter, that was a spirit-wolf." It's a movie, we each digest it according to whatever keeps our particular water-going vessel on the surface :) :spiritwolf:

Edit: It's getting mixed reviews, our paper's reviewer ripped it six ways from Sunday. But she's a dipstick anyway, she capped on "The Fountain," too. I've seen a couple C-grades on Yahoo!Movies but overall, people are going bonkers over it. I'm almost too scared to check out the discussion on IMdB, we had a brace of trolls come through a couple weeks ago and crap all over it. Now that it's out I'll bet the political-correctness brigade will be out in force and spouting.
Meh...screw 'em. It's just pixels.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Political-correctness?
lupine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lupine »

Thanx Pariah :D
PariahPoet wrote: Here's a picture of it
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/180926286 ... /970414488
He/she looks quite large and grizzly. Hard to tell that well from the pic but he looks pretty cool. 8) :D

vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

PariahPoet wrote:Political-correctness?
Yeah, people are yelping that this is Bush propaganda to get everyone pumped up to go to war with Iran.

Yes, I agree, very nonsensical. Never mind that modern-day Muslims would skin everyone in that movie alive, Greek or Persian, because they were all infidel pagans and idolators. Never mind that the ancient Greeks had a lot of respect for Persian culture and in fact borrowed a few things from it.

I heard reports that one city, with a sizeable Iranian immigrant population and a mosque, was trying to get it banned in that town. They were saying that it's offensive to their culture (ah, so Astarte and Marduk worship is still alive! I have to wonder if the prevailing laws of America wouldn't take a dim view on temple whores, though?). I also read a post by a guy that describes himself as Persian saying that he and his buddies enjoyed the hell out of the movie and everyone should get a life and go see it.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Oh good grief. :roll:
That's absurd.

Can't people just enjoy a movie anymore without bringing politics into it?
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Apparently not...

Eh, well. It pulled down $27 million it's first day. They're thinking it's going to smash the opening weekend box office record and I'm not surprised in the least. They're selling Immortals masks for $15.

Anyone going to see it again? I'm getting together a Spartan werewolf costume for next time.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Ooh! I want pictures!!!
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

The mask will probably be transferred onto my Nothing-to-Prove puppet head, I'm going to get working on it tomorrow. My horoscope said do something creative.
nekocj
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nekocj »

Lol I that sounds way beyond awesome Vrikasatma! I would definitely love to see some pics of your costume!

I'm going to see it again probably during spring break. I watched the film version, but now I'm going to go see it on the digital projector :D Just for the heck of it.

-Neko
Templar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: No Title

Post by Templar »

Just saw it today.

Still speechless.

New fav. movie, up there w/ Braveheart an' Sichin-no Samurai.

Only fear is that Hollywood'll start crankin' out crappy clones 'cause this did so well.

Love ta see that Spartan werewolf, Vrik.
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
www.knight-templar.deviantart.com
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Templar wrote:Just saw it today.

Still speechless.

New fav. movie, up there w/ Braveheart an' Sichin-no Samurai.

Only fear is that Hollywood'll start crankin' out crappy clones 'cause this did so well.

Love ta see that Spartan werewolf, Vrik.
Wouldn't be surprised if clones were made of this film. Hollywood is lazy as hell. You know, they're remaking Seven Samurai... Again! You know, because the Hollywood versions Magnificent Seven (not too bad of a film, actually) and Battle Beyond the Stars (never seen it, but I heard that the original director remade this because of new genre popularity caused by Star Wars and even cast one of the same actors from Magnificent Seven as the SAME CHARACTER) weren't enough.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey