What would werewolves think of therianthropes??

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
garouda
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Do You Believe In Magic ?

Post by garouda »

Terastas wrote:*nods* Something else I forgot to mention that separates us from real werewolves is that we probably guess things incorrectly a lot. We're free to disagree and come up with our own wild theories because, as far as we're concerned, lycanthropy is fictional. A real werewolf, or even someone that just associates with werewolves, on the other hand, would have the solid facts and would be less able to think freely about them; they would have an accurate "idea" of what werewolves are truly like, and would also have a more difficult time accepting counterarguments. Basically, he'd be a p-shifter with one difference: if pressed, he'd not only announce that he is not a werewolf, he'd more likely than not completely deny their existence. To a hunter observing the chat room or message board, that would translate to "I have something to hide."

You need to be careful about what you put on the Internet because anyone can see it. I think for that reason werewolves would be reluctant to use the Internet for anything, and therians are almost exclusively an online community. A therian would have a hard time keeping a low profile for his pack and maintaining appearances online. The red flags for a chat room attendant or a blogger are about the same as the ones an artist would be at risk of raising.
Or perhaps the werewolves would simply use the internet in a circumspect fashion:

Encryption

Obscurity

Invisible web sites

Undernet etc.
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

Possibly, but in a world without crazy werewolf hunters, I think it would be safe for werewolves to use the internet, since anyone not specifically looking for them wouldn't notice
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I can't see why the internet would be such a concern. You can say any damned thing you want. Doesn't mean it's true, doesn't mean anyone will believe you. And hell...simply BECAUSE it's the internet, people are automatically going to doubt anything you happen to say.
garouda
Legendary
Legendary

Post by garouda »

What Set Sed
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Set wrote:I can't see why the internet would be such a concern. You can say any damned thing you want. Doesn't mean it's true, doesn't mean anyone will believe you. And hell...simply BECAUSE it's the internet, people are automatically going to doubt anything you happen to say.
Well yeah, but there are also plenty of people that believe anything they read on the Internet. Also, like I said, if you knew the facts about lycanthropy, it would be easy enough to pick the real werewolf out of the crowd.

The thing about the Internet is that you can never guarantee privacy (especially under the Patriot Act). They would have to use the Internet for some work related things and such, but they'd use it sparingly and wouldn't do anything that could even be moderately werewolf-related. Chances are that people aren't eavesdropping on their e-mails, but if I was a werewolf, I wouldn't take that kind of chance.
garouda
Legendary
Legendary

Post by garouda »

Terastas wrote:The thing about the Internet is that you can never guarantee privacy (especially under the Patriot Act). They would have to use the Internet for some work related things and such, but they'd use it sparingly and wouldn't do anything that could even be moderately werewolf-related. Chances are that people aren't eavesdropping on their e-mails, but if I was a werewolf, I wouldn't take that kind of chance.
But a werewolf could use lots of means to access the net.

Internet Cafes

Free Wi Fi locations

Foolishly unencrypted WiFi sites which are becoming ubiquitous

Public Libraries

And lord alone knows what other connections to the internet

And much like code speakers, could communicate in either oblique fashion or lingual jargon.....

Notwithstanding that all kinds of tunneling and encryption are possible, including steganography.

Oh, and lets remember.

At their very most dangerous, werewolves look to me like small potatoes.

So do you really think governments are going to give a rip ?

Most could and will care less.

Only governments already insane will NEED and make use of such weird enemies.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Well yeah, there are countless things they could do on the Internet, but considering their very survival depends on their ability to keep secrets, I think the members of the pack would constantly be on each other's backs about Internet safety. Werewolves would have a lot to worry about, so I think at least a few of them would worry more than they have to.
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

garouda wrote:Only governments already insane will NEED and make use of such weird enemies.
Yeah, but that doesn't really narrow the field down that much...
garouda
Legendary
Legendary

Post by garouda »

Midnight wrote:
garouda wrote:Only governments already insane will NEED and make use of such weird enemies.
Yeah, but that doesn't really narrow the field down that much...

*grins broadly and chuckles*

Such cynicism !
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

garouda wrote:*grins broadly and chuckles*

Such cynicism !
Cynicism about politicians comes naturally to me. About 22 years ago the local Prime Minister had a furious row with a back-bench MP, hit the bottle in a big way and woke up the next morning to find that he'd gone on nationwide TV that night while visibly drunk, dissolved Parliament and called an early election. (Which he proceeded to lose in a big way. Ouch.) I haven't seen much of any later politician to indicate that they're all that much better...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

*sighs deeply* I love this site, I really do. But sometimes Im not sure its good for any therian under the sun because most of you are so quick to dismiss them as not 'real werewolves'. :P
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

MoonKit wrote:*sighs deeply* I love this site, I really do. But sometimes Im not sure its good for any therian under the sun because most of you are so quick to dismiss them as not 'real werewolves'. :P
Well are they?

And if they were real werewolves, would they ever admit it?

There's a fine line between just liking werewolves and actually having to live as one 24/7. It's not like a real werewolf had the ability to define lycanthropy however they thought it should be and/or wanted it to be like we do sometimes. We theorize and fantasize while they have to live with the fact.
garouda
Legendary
Legendary

Post by garouda »

Terastas wrote:
MoonKit wrote:*sighs deeply* I love this site, I really do. But sometimes Im not sure its good for any therian under the sun because most of you are so quick to dismiss them as not 'real werewolves'. :P
Well are they?

And if they were real werewolves, would they ever admit it?

There's a fine line between just liking werewolves and actually having to live as one 24/7. It's not like a real werewolf had the ability to define lycanthropy however they thought it should be and/or wanted it to be like we do sometimes. We theorize and fantasize while they have to live with the fact.
Well, call it what we will, it does have its own name when we speculate and even hunt for animals currently believed to be of questionable existance:

Cryptozoology.

And whether we are just playing around or trying to be serious, the best we can do is use a combination of our intelligence and our imaginations to speculate, interpolate and theorize about any such cryptids for which we do not have verifiable scientific data.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Dreamer wrote:I think that only SOME of the world would be that stupid. Some would be accepting and some would be, well ...
like us about it.

The amount of these would be dependant on the way it is revealed.
Change the word "some" to "most" and your statement becomes true.
I have met people in life who if not for the law would string up and torture anybody who doesn't follow their exact version of the bible.
We have wars all over the world about this type of thing.
and these are just idological and minor physical differences.

Think X-men in this, speaking to parents or anyone with cousins, nieces/nephews or what not in school. How would you feel if you learned that their were people out there with anykind of innate lethal capabilities, and you learned that they had kids in the same educational system as your own. Its easy to say, "I'm not a bigget I wouldn't care" if you say this then either you were homeschooled, private schooled, got lucky on your school, or don't remember school all that clearly.
Kids can be violant and any rules given thrown out the window in the heat of anger. Its one thing for a kid to loose their temper and start throwing fists, its another thing is this kid has the ability to grow razer sharp claws and teeth and rip a drinking fountain out of the wall (just sticking with werewolves on this, but the mutant thing would be scarier with powers that rival military weaponry and they can't completly control it yet)
Which is important. Kids in their teens are hormonial unstable, imagine would a beast mind shapeshifting ability would do to this equation.

And we add that your neighbors might have this, we have elderly people alone in their homes afraid of teens. Tell them that at night while they are alone and defensless that their are people put there that can transform into stealthy predators.

inducing panic from this would not only be easy, it would be quik. We see why back in the middle ages people who believed this would send out hunting parties and slaughter innocent animals and loner people who didn't fit in so they suspected them of being a witch, werewolf, devil worshiper, ect... .
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
garouda
Legendary
Legendary

Post by garouda »

Rhuen wrote:
Dreamer wrote:I think that only SOME of the world would be that stupid. Some would be accepting and some would be, well ...
like us about it.

The amount of these would be dependant on the way it is revealed.
Change the word "some" to "most" and your statement becomes true.
I have met people in life who if not for the law would string up and torture anybody who doesn't follow their exact version of the bible.
We have wars all over the world about this type of thing.
and these are just idological and minor physical differences.

Think X-men in this, speaking to parents or anyone with cousins, nieces/nephews or what not in school. How would you feel if you learned that their were people out there with anykind of innate lethal capabilities, and you learned that they had kids in the same educational system as your own. Its easy to say, "I'm not a bigget I wouldn't care" if you say this then either you were homeschooled, private schooled, got lucky on your school, or don't remember school all that clearly.
Kids can be violant and any rules given thrown out the window in the heat of anger. Its one thing for a kid to loose their temper and start throwing fists, its another thing is this kid has the ability to grow razer sharp claws and teeth and rip a drinking fountain out of the wall (just sticking with werewolves on this, but the mutant thing would be scarier with powers that rival military weaponry and they can't completly control it yet)
Which is important. Kids in their teens are hormonial unstable, imagine would a beast mind shapeshifting ability would do to this equation.

And we add that your neighbors might have this, we have elderly people alone in their homes afraid of teens. Tell them that at night while they are alone and defensless that their are people put there that can transform into stealthy predators.

inducing panic from this would not only be easy, it would be quik. We see why back in the middle ages people who believed this would send out hunting parties and slaughter innocent animals and loner people who didn't fit in so they suspected them of being a witch, werewolf, devil worshiper, ect... .
That is why education is needed. To separate myth from fact.
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

The problem with that is getting people to listen. There's no guarantee that they will.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

garouda wrote:Well, call it what we will, it does have its own name when we speculate and even hunt for animals currently believed to be of questionable existance:

Cryptozoology.

And whether we are just playing around or trying to be serious, the best we can do is use a combination of our intelligence and our imaginations to speculate, interpolate and theorize about any such cryptids for which we do not have verifiable scientific data.
You're missing the point. While we're just guessing what it could be or stating what we wish it was instead, a real werewolf has all the facts that he has to keep all to himself.

If a werewolf read all of the topics and posts at this forum, I think his overall response would be 50% "I'm insulted," 45% "Yeah, I wish" and 5% "Lucky guess."

A werewolf watching a therian forum would be kind of like an alien at Area 51 watching the Sci-Fi channel. If you have the absolute facts, it's hard not to look down on the people that are just making it up as they go.
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

You make it sound so serious, Terestas. I think they'd be highly amused by places like this.
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

Even though your personal information can be hacked or what not, most people would not consume the time and energy to find such things out.
For someone with a specific target in mind, I doubt they would use this forum to find whomever they are looking for.

You do not want to look inside my head; so stop reading the small text!

Psychic manipulation of the purple rain...
Drives all the people insane...

False "deities" controlling matter...
The only way to see is through their defeat...

Illusions of granduer
A person can not know of ones betterness,if such a thing does exist
A person can not know of someone elses betterness,
for a person does not know of all the qualities that only exist within...

A person is anyone who can comunicate
Which could possibly include an computer (A.I.)
Who's to say where the soul goes...

These thoughts keep coming back to me...
These things may even apply to this forum conversation,
and not even I would know it...

If you are reading this then...

"GET OUT OF MY HEAD!"

-Cumulus

Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

cumulusprotagonist wrote:You do not want to look inside my head; so stop reading the small text!
:lol: You don't want us to read it, then stop posting it. And really...your head's not that bad. I've seen worse.
cumulusprotagonist wrote:If you are reading this then...

"GET OUT OF MY HEAD!"

-Cumulus
Um...no. :grinp:

"Big brother, is it time for my cameo yet?"
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I'm more interested in 4chan's reaction if werewolves existed. 9_9
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Set wrote:You make it sound so serious, Terestas. I think they'd be highly amused by places like this.
unlikely give the typical responses people have of movies and such that depict their people from a biased or un-educated light.

Back onto the therian or what ever term they want to use bit. It reminds me of true stories I have heard of people being conned into thinking someone is a real vampire and following them around and giving them money. Or fake Gurus and such. Although the werewolf thing might be harder to fake (what with the lack of transformation) unless you have someone who can convince their pidgion"sp" that they can only transform hidden away from them because of animal instinct or some secret pack rule about initiation. and con the poor sap.
and if you had a real pack of werewolves, why even bother with this at all? Why go out of their way to use the interenet and such to find a new member. It would make more sense if they were to be attracted to someone and stalk them, and overtime develop a relation ship before bringing them into the fold. (or do the fae thing where they impregante a human and when the child is born wisk them away, or the one night stand thing where they wait for the child to reach the right age before moving in and introducing them to a world they belong to "this method uses the teen angst to get them to leave their life behind"

In other words, real world attraction, and offspring make more sense as new pack member targets than surfing the internet like some pervert sexual predator.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

In my humble opinion, therianthropy is a form a werewolvism. And I know a lot of people here will disagree with me on that, but thats the way I see it.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Were's might consider Therianthropes as either "Shift-incapable Were's", or perhaps even as a smoke screen.

"You don't have to be invisible if everyone is looking the wrong way"
----Tsuyu Nikki, Kitsune
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
garouda
Legendary
Legendary

Post by garouda »

Therianthropes

A public service of the Werewolf Community

Something to disbelieve in !

Your Werewolf Community Donations at Work

All claims and determinations are subject to withdrawal and can neither be confirmed nor denied. Persons claiming to be spokespersons of the were or therian community are not authorized as such. Donations to the were/therian protection fund will show on your receipt as having been given to PETA. By donating to this organization you receive no certifications of the veracity or non-veracity of statements or claims made herein.