Godwin's Law

The place for anything at all...
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Godwin's Law

Post by deruty »

Just curious as to how many people have ever heard of this. Seeing as the discussions here are often lengthy.

If you are completely baffled by the prior text then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law

P.S. stupid linky thing isn't working
My real online handle is Derutydragon
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Re: Godwin's Law

Post by Aki »

deruty wrote:Just curious as to how many people have ever heard of this. Seeing as the discussions here are often lengthy.

If you are completely baffled by the prior text then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law

P.S. stupid linky thing isn't working
Url tags work by putting the URL like so:

Code: Select all

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law]Godwin's Law[/url]
Anyways, I've heard the term "Godwin's Law" but never knew what it meant.

It does ring pretty true, though.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I've heard of it. Well, it pretty much works as long as the thread turns into an argument. Which they tend to do once people start taking internet conversations seriously.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I tried using my Moderator Powers of Awesome to edit the link, but PHP forum code does not recognise the ' mark as a valid character in links.

I have never heard of Goodwin's Law before, but I have indeed been a part of it's statistics when I made the following photoshopped image...
Guilty as charged.
:P :lol:
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

You fascist bastard! :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Jeez, Shadow Wulf, don't be such a photo-Nazi! :D
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I've heard of Godwin's law before, but only really gave some adequate thought to it now. I think it is true that the longer an argument goes on, the more likely a Hitler comparison will come up.

Something I would add is that, the longer an argument has gone on, the more likely it's because of a Ferrous Cranus, Tireless Rebutter, or some other variant of poster that is 100% uncompromising to the arguments and/or suggestions of others. The longer the thread is stuck on just one subject, the hotter under the collar the posters will get at having to repeat themselves. The more frustrated the forum becomes, the more likely it will erupt into a flame war. That's when the unyielding gets called a Nazi.

The other most common example I've seen is when a Provocateur, Troller, Rebel Without A Clue, etc. starts causing trouble and gets a punt from the mods/admins. The more warnings a troublemaker is given, the more likely he'll call the mods/admins Nazis.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

But... the moderators on the chromehound.net forum ARE faciast iron fist rulers. They banned me because I argued how Chrome Hounds wasn't as good as Steel Battalion. Oh noes! I had an opinion! No mud slinging on my part other than that picture I made after being banned. Says alot about a forum if they ban a Pack moderator, right?
:o :lol:

Just the little story behind that image.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Kaebora wrote:But... the moderators on the chromehound.net forum ARE faciast iron fist rulers. They banned me because I argued how Chrome Hounds wasn't as good as Steel Battalion. Oh noes! I had an opinion! No mud slinging on my part other than that picture I made after being banned. Says alot about a forum if they ban a Pack moderator, right?
:o :lol:

Just the little story behind that image.
Well yeah, sometimes the description is justified. Their description in the Flame Warriors roster goes right along with Godwin's Law:

Netiquette Nazi

Ironically enough, the only Netiquette Nazi was at the Flame Warriors forum. I don't recommend posting there -- Mike Reed's profiles are good, but the board has basically degenerated into a forum where a bunch of dumb assholes brag about how good they are at flame warfare. The admin was no exception.