Genetic Traits and Shifting

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
RedRio
Custom Title: Call me Rio!

Genetic Traits and Shifting

Post by RedRio »

I have, in my endless and pointless quries, assembled what I believe a werewolf is and should be capable of. This was created for my use, in future stories or novels, but I would like to share it here, where I can put these ideas into a community that can discuss and (I hope) put to use in literature and film.

I support many many kinds of shifting and forms, this is the type I choose to use in my story (which isn't into writing at all yet) "Roses Are Red". Many traits listed here are probably scientifically incorrect, but I try.

Genetic and Physical Traits

- An adrenaline rush stimulates the change. This makes it difficult for were's to seek thrills without being caught. However self control can curb the urge (the adrenaline causes the were to want to change, to seek the comfort of true shape. Reaction to fight or flight) and allow the were to hide among humans sucessfully.

- The change begins with the need. A were can will himself to change by thinking about true shape. Imagining what it feels like. The body begins to mirror this need and begins with hormones. The body produces testosterone, bringing great strength and disregard for pain (despite how painful the shift can be, weres enjoy the change). A hormone that does not exist in humans is stimulated by this, and it promotes insane growth of keratin (hair and fingernails).

- Weres can choose to what degree they shift, from human shape with claws and fangs, perhaps changed eyes color; to full wolf

- Weres to not weigh 170lb as humans and 230lb as "guardian" (I refer in my diagram as Anthro). They gain no mass or weight when they change. 170lb is 170lb, that's all. If anything they lose weight burning fat energy in orger the change. They aren't 7 foot tall monsters, they actually get a little shorter when changed halfway (or appear to, with the digitigrade posture of being hunched a little)

-There is in fact enough tissue to change the entire anatomy without years of growth in twenty seconds. In human shape their tissues are all very compact. Bone, fat and muscle are stronger and heavier on weres. A human with the same dimensions and build as a were would weigh much less.

- it's spiritual, not satanic. Were's change because they can, and their soul demands it. To be one with nature.

-of course, there is a demanding and volitile social structure, with everyone veing for dominance.

I have nicknamed each phase based on what I see them as resembling.

1. "Goblin" stage
- nose lifts as upper jaw moves forward
- severe underbite, lower jaw grows faster (it's not pulling the skull and waiting on it to change)
-teeth change
-tongue flattens like wolf's
-eyes color changes and pink tissue (lips and around eyes) turn black
-ears point
-hair spreads from head, back, groin, forearms and shins, to cover body
-pads and claws thicken and form

2."Lycan" stage (as likened to "Underworld" weres)
-lip clefts
-nostrils slit (on sides, like canines)
-at this point, entire body is covered with thin, light fur
-ears cup and point
-skull flattens and upper jaw catches up
-teeth are fully changed
-maw is nearly full length
dull claws
-digitigrade
-toes curl, "dew claw" digit forms from little toe, on OUTSIDE

3."Guardian/ Anthro" stage
-hunched
-full pelt (chest has a lighter fur than rest of body)
-wolfish feet
-knobby joints
-deeper chest (larger heart and lungs)
-humanlike torso
-full wolf face and neck

4. "Kierrn" stage *likened to Goldenwolfen's werewolf species, Kierrn
-shaggy outerpelt
-bigger wolf-like eyes
-stocky limbs (like short human arms and legs)
-more canine paws
-thick ruff
-arched back
-walks on fours

5. "Direwolf" stage
-very wolfish
-human-like joint rotation
-still present defined abs and pecs
-big ears
-big wolf paws, not like human digits

6. Full wolf
-complete wolf anatomy, features may resemble human forms, but very little and hardly noticable

Characteristics present in all but Full Wolf forms
-collarbone
-strucures like Adam's apple
-pecs and abs
-short tail, fluffy, looks longer
-shorter muzzle than wolf, looks like a wolf that got cracked upside the nose with a bat. "broken" nose ridge

that's all the information I wrote for my use. There are some features that make my weres slightly unique, but this is what i think the basis should be. The "scientific" stuff is speculation and probably has no biological sense[/list][/list]
Protector of dignity of werewolves everywhere
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Nifty information. I liked the included diagram. :D

Though the info seems a bit scant. Might wanna include things like whether or not lycanthropy, or certain forms increase speed/strength, etc. resilience, weaknesses, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about the scientific incorrectness too much. Werewolves are pretty much scientifically impossible, so anything else doesn't matter too much.
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

i agree w/ Aki. Niffty Diagram and th@ is alot of info on the Diagram. but Werewolves are pretty much scientifically as well as to some people are just myths and legends.
Am I willing to risk failure in order to succeed? The answer is always YES!!!
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: *thinking*

Post by Motsiewolf »

I love the diagram. Very thought out. Looks like you put some effort into finding out bout this stuff.
Harry_Osborn
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: Your Friendly Neighborhood Mad Scientist

Post by Harry_Osborn »

Love the diagram and the descriptions. I think it is just fine the way it is. Looks like you took a lot of time and work on this.
"We are the architect of our own demise."

~Me (Andy Davis)
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Good diagram...but is the "Dire Wolf" intelligent or instinct driven? Are we seeing the old-style Mind-out-the-window Werewolf or is this an intelligent being in a non-human body?

If it is non-sapient; when do you think the Human mind shut down? ??
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Rosiewolf »

Yes. I love the diagram as well, and I like the detail that you put into the drawings of each step, and how you explained it. Some people might like werewolves are real, and some might not, but in a way, this does back up how the change could go.
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway