Werewolfs and Diseases?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Harry_Osborn
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: Your Friendly Neighborhood Mad Scientist

Werewolfs and Diseases?

Post by Harry_Osborn »

Okay one question I have in my head at the current moment. Would werewolves if they had any physical problems such as poor eye sight, asthma, or the like, would they need to still continue using glasses and the like when in werewolf form?

Why I ask this is because I have a diabetic character named Zack Lyell and he was bitten and turned into a werewolf, however the question is while in werewolf would he have the need for the insulin pump. Most likely I'm thinking yes due to the fact that diabetes can effect even animals, but then again there is the part of them being classified as mystical creatures. So I guess it could go either way. I redally don't know. I know I ask stupid questions.
"We are the architect of our own demise."

~Me (Andy Davis)
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

I don't think it's a stupid question. Frankly, there don't seem to be any questions about it that are. After all, some people may be wondering the same thing.
(Thanks Dr. Phil, for that amazing speech.)
:P :roll:
( :D
Anyway, it might depend on certain details but i think the werewolf power would override those problems. Hate to sound like i'm stealing this from Cumulus, but, o could be wrong. Any thoughts?) :?
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

I believe that the most realistic truth on the matter is that it could go either why depending on the individual person. For some becoming a werewolf may cure any illnesses and for others it would not. I also believe that there can be more than one type of werewolf in the same reality. But this is just me...
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It's not a bad question, but we do have a thread on sickness and diseases somewhere.

I think the overall argument from the original thread was that, though lycanthropy may or may not cure the disease, the constant regeneration effect would negate a lot of the damage caused by said diseases and enable werewolves to live with them.

Diabetes could go either way depending on what type it is.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Poor eyesight wouldn't likely be fixed by any type of lycanthropy that doesn't go "lol, magic" to explain how/why. A more scientific/biological type of lycanthropy wouldn't fix your eyesight. Aside from better night vision, wolves eyes suck. They see less color and are utterly blind after like, IIIC, 70 yards. Or some short distance like that. They're primarily users of their noses and ears rather than their eyes.

More magical lycanthropy might, 'cause magic lets you pull off illogical stuffs.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Your stipulated "Insulin Pump" could be a problem. Some of them operate on a time base, rather than a need base...
Real bad day if the pump does its thing just as the Shift occurs.
As in: KA-thud. Comatose Werewolf.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Harry_Osborn
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Harry_Osborn »

What changed take place, I am aware how insulin pumps work but the question that I wonder now is why would they become unconscious I mean I didn't think there would be a sudden drop in blood sugar but yeah.

~Me (Andy Davis)
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

There would be a drop in blood sugar because of the Shift. It uses energy, and if there wasn't an excess of sugar in the Werewolf's bloodstream, there would be a sudden hypoglycemic episode.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Harry_Osborn
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Harry_Osborn »

How much energy the shift would take is what didn't come across my mind. I know much about diabetes, but then again taking into consideration what problems it would cause during a shift did not occur to me. However now that you state that it seems like it was staring me right in the face and that it was so logical. thanks. :lol:

~Me (Andy Davis)
bar1scorpio
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: Sierra Mist Abuser

Post by bar1scorpio »

Depends if it's science, or magic. In PitW, the lycantrope's regenerative properties can take care of quite a bit (short of decapitation, and of course, fire & silver). But of course, old age catches up with everyone, and senility makes an old werewolf a doubly dangerous creature, to themselves and others. In PitW, it's usually up to the Pack Alpha, or Beta to 'put down' those few wolves that make it to such an advanced age. A lycanthrope that can't control it's change is a threat to both bystanders and to the secret of the werewolf.
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" - Robert Heinlein

"The World Will Be Saved By Steam!" - Professor Steamhead