Bad children! No hugging your friends!

The place for anything at all...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Bad children! No hugging your friends!

Post by Set »

Yet more stupidity from the human sector.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19293872/?GT1=10056
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

There is no substitute for human contact when growing up. The thought of not being able to touch one another leads to the feeling of being alone, thus leading to depression or paranoiya (sp). This clearly can and probably will do more harm then good. And that is what we get when we leave children in the hands of adults who clearly did not get help enough as a child.
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
DarkShadow
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The coffee addicted were

Post by DarkShadow »

:blink: Not even high fives? Jeez.. well I agree with Fenrir when he said this will do more harm than good. I mean, that's pretty harsh. Sure, it's great to have a no violent contact (punching, hitting, etc) but that's just a little too far IMO.
I can proudly say that I am not a stamp of the person beside me

Icon made by Z :D
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I like the teacher's logic... "If they see others high fiving, then they'll start asking why they can't punch each other!"
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

This is why I hate school administration,

They still treat their students like they were kids, like as if they don't know between what is acceptable and what isn't. I can see this in elementary school where children don't know the difference between friendly and abusive physical contact, but even then it is too extreme. that is when a child LEARNS the difference.

But these are middle school where students are from 12 to 15 years of age. They know bad from good, and saying no touching period is completely stupid.

What I think is just the staff is making stupid rules so they wont have to deal with the occasional fight. It's the equivalent of parents who give their child Ritalin to an active three-year-old so they wont have to deal with their kids NORMAL behavior.

Also thanks to law suits, schools in general are being way too paranoid. They are making more and more rules about the dress code, what can and cannot be taken to school, ETC. Like I had a movie pulled from the school's film festival all because an actor said f**K one time, and carried a crow bar like a weapon, and I asked why. I got a long explanation, that when boiled down, said that we don't want to be sued.

schools are way too concerned with law suits and insurance issues.
THE GAME

My Armory
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

This is why private institutions are better. The parents or students are paying for it, therefore they have the power to make demands. It's best to please those that pay your salary. For public schools, the state pays them regardless of changes made. They just have to meet a certain criteria, and thusly set rules to meet them.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I think its a dumb rule but it doesnt actually bother me. Think of all the people who have to stop making out in the hallways. Because really, get a room. And hey, less germs being spread. :wink:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
KittyRose
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Spotted Feline Writer

Post by KittyRose »

That's just crazy! Sometimes schools can go a little too far with their rules and their authority.
DeviantART
Meez

:wolfpaint: Avatar created by Z
chubhound
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chubhound »

Stuff like this makes me glad I'm not in school anymore. I can understand the school's point of view in wanting to keep the students safe & avoid violence and all, but....this just seems a tad over the top. *sighs* Oh, for the good ol' days when my friends & I would spend recess hitting each other on the arm to see who could hit the hardest. Or when we'd rub the metal edge of the ruler (for those that REMEMBER back when wooden rulers had the metal edge) on the bottom of our shoes 'till it got really hot, and then we'd sneak up on someone & touch the metal part to their neck. Fun fun fun.
Life is too serious to be taken too seriously
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

ravaged_warrior wrote:I like the teacher's logic... "If they see others high fiving, then they'll start asking why they can't punch each other!"
though progression isnt quite that direct, that is kinda what it leads too. Much simpler just to say "no pysical contact PERIOD than waste time and endure headaces over tecnicalities. It makes percet sense, especially in an overcrowded school, that such a rule exist. Of course, another alternitive would be to fix the overcrowding, but that would require more tax money. And no one wants to pay more taxes.

generally when it comes to conflicts between government and the public, both sides are morons. because the government answer is simpler in this case, i favor it.
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

My high school was way overcrowded and there was construction going on so we had hallways and stairwells blocked off so it got pretty crazy in there. Unfortunately in a crowded school like that you could accidentally bump into someone and have a fight start.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Overcrowdedness is a good reason for this rule. I just think that the part of it about "judgment of teachers' should me stronger. I mean, if an aide can come by and see it's a friendly hug, okay. Obviously if the aide sees a headlock it's not friendly. You know? The rule isn't' all bad.

My only problem is... SCHOOL IS NOT A FREAKING SANDBOX. American schools are tryign to turn into sandboxes, where gently smiling adults with room-temperature IQ's lead about even shallowr children about by the hadn.

"it's okay, you don't have to pass the grade..." "... No, touching is baaaad...." "You don't need to know anything to answer the SAT, you just have to cheat a lot. Here's a book on how to cheat... No, let me tell you so you don't have to read..."
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

This rule would absolutely kill me. I'm a very "touchy person," a lot of my day consists of giving known people hugs.

They're basically treating these teenagers like delinquents.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

This is the dumbest thing I have heard as of lately. Its boldly taking away their freedom to express themselves. I can see as to have a little restrictions like no making out. But holding hands and shaking hands and hugging for a few seconds should in no way be discourage. They are just simply setting a bad example on the kids. I personaly will try to defy it and keep on shaking hands and hug untill I get kicked out of the school. I know if this rule were to take in affect in my county, most of the teachers in my school would not enforce it.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

yeah. the elementary school i went to as a lil kid has adopted a very similar rule in the last few years. i don't understand what the kids do at recess nowadays. they can't play football, basketball, tag or like anything we played when i went there. it bugs me, man.
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com