An interesting quandry...(werewolf surgery)

The place for anything at all...

If the scientific technology existed to make you the closest physically possible facmile to a werewolf, would you alter yourself like that?

Yes
39%
No
17%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
43%

Total votes: 23

Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

An interesting quandry...(werewolf surgery)

Post by Dreamer »

Now, you know if humanity isn't wiped out by global warming, peak oil or the supervolcano in Yellowstone, you know we'll probably in our lifetimes have the genetic technology to make ourselves real werewolves, or at least the closest thing physically possible. My question is, would you alter yourself like that or would it just be a biiiiit too close to those vampire fanatics who sharpen their teeth and drink each others blood?
XIV
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

As anxious as I am to become a werewolf, I can't see myself doing it through science. It just...doesn't seem right. I wont be doing any rituals either though, so unless I wake up a werewolf one morning, I don't think I'll be one any time soon. But I want to be one so badly...it's like a twisting yearning in my chest sometimes, so painfully acute, such a wonderful dream. But I guess that's all it is, a dream, and dreams can't take the place of reality. :(
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

*shrug* If all else fails, sure, why not.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

The social hostilities you would inevitably recieve from others as a result, would be more than enough to make me not want it at all.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Sure. Assuming it was tested to work about 90% of the time or more, wasn't so expensive my descendants would still be paying bills even as that werewolfy corpse rotted in a grave or sat in an urn as a pile of ash... :P

Man, it'd make you a shoe-in for a movie career! Who needs special effects that cost a truckload when you can hire the real thing for much cheaper? :lol:
FoxOfWar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Fiery Foxish TFmage Extraordinaire
Location: Finland. Most probably lurking behing that rock. *points*

Post by FoxOfWar »

I suppose after much, much bantering about it with myself, I'd do it.

...or maybe a werefox *grin*
Btw, If you're wondering about FoxOfWar, think about Real-Time Strategy Games and certain aspect profilic in all of them... lurking about in the shadows, kind of like me...
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

They'd have to have it pretty well down for me to get my wings and a tail. So 'no' on the Werewolf Body. Right now my geneticist is working on immortality first, then genetic manipulation for cosmetic alteration.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Man, Im pretty sure we had this conversation a few times before. ??
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Well, look at it this way. If you have the money to undergo this most likely incredibly expensive procedure, you shouldn't have to worry too much about what other people may perceive on your new form. If you have truck loads of money, people will respect you for that fact alone, even if you are a bit more canine like around the edges. Also, with that much money, you shouldn't have to worry too much about getting jumped since you'll never have to go into the bad parts of town. (or at the very least, you'll have someone to do it for you

No doubt you already know my answer, hell yes! The full werewolf package please.
Guy!
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I'd rather not be a wolf. So, no. :P
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lover of Life

Post by geekboy1500 »

meh

it depends how well it works. Could I really TRANSFORM or would I just be stuck in one form all the time.
The Think Geek Annoy-o-Tron, insanity in convenient attractive box.
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

yeah, i found a thread what's pretty similar to this one:
http://www.thepacksden.com/thepackboard ... ht=surgery

anyways, i think i would. but a werewolf wouldn't be my first choice. i'd much rather be a weretiger.
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

Hell yes...i would do it...in any case. I would reconsider this proposal, jeah...but i know that i would do it after all... :wiggle:
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Like I said in the same kind of thread before.

If was just the tail and ears, yes. but not the whole body.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

To be, or not to be...A Werewolf

Post by RedEye »

Well, it'd take a lot of work to just do the shifting bit, unless it were done by some sort of 3-D Laser image.
But, let's say that there were a way to make one into a Werewolf. I believe we did something on this as a permanent physical reassignment.
Heck, why not? It would likely be some sort of genetic restructuring with a bit of surgery involved.
First-It'd be expensive. Second-There would be quite a lot of time when you were halfway done, and just looked silly. Thirdly, you can bet that somebody in Government would interfere with it.
Still...why not? The experience is in the journey, not the destination.
A lot would depend on the popularity of the thing as well...sort of lilke Tattoos or piercings.
Then you'd get to have all the fun of being fur covered and dealing with fleas and "doggy odor' when you tried to cool off in the shower. Oh, there would be the I.D. switchover to do as well...
It's just crazy enough for me to say, yeah, I'd do it, but I'll most likely be dead by then.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'm worried at the present rate that, if we can't convince our politicians that God doesn't hate stem cell research and that humans aren't the absolute pinnacle of evolution any time soon, I'll be cold and dead before the transhumanist revolution that could have given me immortality and the next five billion years to watch the universe evolve. But, if that doesn't happen, I figure curing death will be a higher priority than werewolves, and only marginally harder. So, ironically, the way to be a werewolf might be first to become a vampire, or at least the nano-biotechnological equivalent of such.

But, if I'm wrong and it's available by 2020 or so, count me in.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

If it would be in the form of genetic mutation, then why not? Plastic surgery is not such a good idea I think.

I voted "I'll be dead by then" because I'm such a pessimistic jerk. :lol:
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Scott Gardener wrote:I'm worried at the present rate that, if we can't convince our politicians that God doesn't hate stem cell research and that humans aren't the absolute pinnacle of evolution any time soon, I'll be cold and dead before the transhumanist revolution that could have given me immortality and the next five billion years to watch the universe evolve. But, if that doesn't happen, I figure curing death will be a higher priority than werewolves, and only marginally harder. So, ironically, the way to be a werewolf might be first to become a vampire, or at least the nano-biotechnological equivalent of such.

But, if I'm wrong and it's available by 2020 or so, count me in.
Clearly

werewolves > cure for death
Guy!
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

If they've figured out how to do it by 2033, and ironed out all the obvious bugs, I'll do it then.

Why that year? Because that's when I hit retirement age, at which point I will no longer give a flying farnarkle about what anybody thinks of what I look like...
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Post by deruty »

I'd do it, then I'd run up north into Canada and terrorize...trees and squirrels.
My real online handle is Derutydragon
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I probably wouldn't want to do anything overly visible. If they could enhance my senses and strength and agility, reflexes, etc, sure. Maybe a tail would be nice.

I just wouldn't want to go full-out without being able to transform. Which isn't gonna happen any time soon.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Scott Gardener may have hit on something. With the changes in the climate and degrading of the ozone layer, Transhuman Genetic modification may well be the way to go, unless you want to live inside a city all the time.
A Wolf-like form would be tough enough to survive in the coming times, as would Baphenedia's draconic form (Ditto Deruty).
I suspect it would be one-way and permanent, though; shifting would be a waste of biological energy (as well as making the job twice as hard).
Okay- I can hear the questions versus fur and the heat; I'll point out that Wolves use their fur to both keep warm and stay cool. It's insulation.
So, there may indeed be a chance, in the future... :wink:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Hadn't even thought of using it as an adaptation to ecological disruption. That's a pretty nifty plot device, actually. (It's sad when you look at real world crises and think first of how great story elements they'd be.)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...