Werewolves on the moon. Astronauts anyone?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Ceekur
Legendary
Legendary

Werewolves on the moon. Astronauts anyone?

Post by Ceekur »

' They have come to take my life...
Let us settle this 300 year-old war once and for all...
Who shall live...? Who shall die...? ' ~ Moonlight Symphony - Vampire Night

JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

A) They would be unable to change at all because the so-called "lunar power" would be too much for them to handle.

B) They would change from looking at something round from the distance, in this case, the earth.

C) Nothing happens.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I think the psychological effect of the moon is based on the light that reflects off of it and into the Earth's atmosphere, not the moon itself.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Yeah, I agree. I think its more of the earth, moon, sun relationship rather then just the moon itself. And yes, the sun plays a part too. :howl:  :oo
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Terastas wrote:I think the psychological effect of the moon is based on the light that reflects off of it and into the Earth's atmosphere, not the moon itself.
True.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

Terastas wrote:I think the psychological effect of the moon is based on the light that reflects off of it and into the Earth's atmosphere, not the moon itself.
Exactly. I think so too hwlwnk
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

This leads to a potential Werewolf "trap"- made up of specially polarized lights that exactly mimic the full moon's light.

Made up as a hand held "flashlight", the villain would just shine it into the suspected Were's face and step back to watch for transformation start.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

RedEye wrote:This leads to a potential Werewolf "trap"- made up of specially polarized lights that exactly mimic the full moon's light.

Made up as a hand held "flashlight", the villain would just shine it into the suspected Were's face and step back to watch for transformation start.
Indeed....that is an interesting Theory...
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: Werewolves on the moon. Astronauts anyone?

Post by Figarou »

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

RedEye wrote:This leads to a potential Werewolf "trap"- made up of specially polarized lights that exactly mimic the full moon's light.

I don't believe that moon-light is easy to mimic, since the moon is still a very different energysource by itself.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

Maybe they'd have so much energy from the moon that they'd explode. Or maybe just be a wolf all the time or something. And I actually had a thought about moonlight. If the werewolf is in a place where there is no moonlight, say underground, will they still transform on the night of a full moon? Is it the moonlight itself that's the trigger or is it a huge coincidence that a werewolf always transforms every 24 and 1/4 days?

Edit: Oh, and I loved the video Figarou! :D
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Going to go with C.

Final answer.
Guy!
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

I can see the astronaut suddenly start to shift, and since space suits aren't at all stretchy-suddenly smash his nose into his faceplate and get a super space wedgie as his body tried to change. :lol:

What's more likely is that under the superabundance of lunar energy--nothing will happen. Tha' poor woofie will just be unchanged because there is no "ground" for the energy to flow into. No ground, no flow, no change.

IMHO.... :P
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

One small step for a man, one giant leap for a wolf.

Post by Scott Gardener »

John Stewart posed the same question on The Daily Show.

In my own storyline, technology progresses to a point that werewolves actually get to be on the moon by 2060. And, my own lead werewolf characters Scott Gardener, Elodea Taylor, and Selena Hawthorne get to walk on the moon in a short story set in 2093. But, in that storyline, werewolves aren't physically directly affected in the sense of being forced to shift, so it's not an issue. Though they're very old at that point and welcome the reduced gravitational load on their legs.

In storylines in which the moon does force a shift, there's several possibilities. First, being there forces one into at least Gestalt form all the time--one can shift to wolf but not human, except inside protected areas. Then again, in order to be on the moon, one must be in a protected space anyway. Another is that being on the moon disrupts whatever effect the full moon has on Earth, but maybe a full Earth could do it.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

I'd have to say no change, as I often see it as more a psychological trigger, like a biological self-induced hypnosis.

Using two other moon based shape shifters as examples.

Saiyans from the various Dragon Ball shows and movies.
The full moon turns them into giant apes, but only if they have their tails. However as intersteller raiders they have had to come up with other means when a world doesn't have a full moon, or any moon. and they have to first see the moon before they can change, and only turn back when the full moon's light is blocked off.
1: Holographic projector, their ships could project a fake full moon in the sky to induce the transformation.
2: a special technique developed by Bratic"sp" Goku's father to create an energy sphere that gives off just enough light at the right altitude to imitate the full moon.

Now on Outlaw Star we had a race of shapeshifter cat-people who could transform, the level was based on the planet's moon and how full it was. However if they were on a moon, or an asteroid base it wouldn't work and they could only to their basic buff up a little level of transformation.
(although later in the series it seems to be implied that the moon only helps them in some psychological sense as if they get angry enough they can fully transform into their wolf-tiger beast forms completly anyways).

Which is an idea I like, that is a psychological effect more than anything else built into their very genes. Which would mean younger ones and newly transformed would be the most influinced by it with older ones able to better control the ability.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Re: Werewolves on the moon. Astronauts anyone?

Post by MoonKit »

You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Ceekur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ceekur »

I never really considered that all three objects, the sun, the Earth, and the moon, plays a part in causing a shift. From this point, I can see how it would require all of them to be in the right places for the moon's light to have an effect. I guess it makes sense that one can mimic the moon's light in a hand-held device. At least I now understand how that female werewolf was able to be force-shifted in that one Howling movie by the use of spotlights and camera shutters. :P
"What? Bright lights can make a werewolf change?" *years later* "Oh."

Ah, Fig, poor wolf! A little amusing though.
' They have come to take my life...
Let us settle this 300 year-old war once and for all...
Who shall live...? Who shall die...? ' ~ Moonlight Symphony - Vampire Night

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Come to think of it, would a werewolf even have a chance of getting off the planet to begin with? They won't even let an astronaut into orbit if he has the flu. What are the chance of someone with lycanthropy getting blasted off?
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

There has been a comic (I think it was called Full Moon Fever) where the staff of a lunar station all became werewolves, with the predicted full-time shift results. Unfortunately, it wasn't a great comic (blatant rip-off of Alien(s)).
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Terastas wrote:Come to think of it, would a werewolf even have a chance of getting off the planet to begin with? They won't even let an astronaut into orbit if he has the flu. What are the chance of someone with lycanthropy getting blasted off?
Just move the time scale up a few centuries to where space travel is common place and it resolves that issue for the story.

Or something unlikely, such as aliens capture a random group of people who are off in the woods and one turns out to be a werewolf.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

There is a more prosaic reason for Werewolves shifting at the full moon.
Wolves have very good night vision. Were's would probably share this adaptation.
Simple: they can see better at the full of the moon (sort of like an overcast day)
And, they can be better seen at the full of the moon by non-Were's.

They might be shifting all the time, it's just the full moon that lets non-Were's catch a glimpse of them... :lol: