Interesting news (L. David Mech)

The place for anything at all...
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Interesting news (L. David Mech)

Post by Doruk Golcu »

L. David Mech is one of the most prominent researchers of wolves in North America, and in the whole world. His books The Wolf: The Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species and Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation are considered the definitive works on wolf behavior. He has studied wolves all around North America, including key locations like Yellowstone, Isle Royale, and Alaska. You can find more information on him on his website at http://www.davemech.org/

So, he is an important person in the firld of wolf biology, but why am I suddenly talking about him? Because he is coming to my university to give a talk as part of one of our student sponsored seminar series! And the best thing about it? Since I nominated him as a speaker, I get to host him :D YAY!
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

How awesome! :o
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Lucky you. I wish I had some wolf expert come to my high school. But no I got Retro Bill instead. :P
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

:o wow that is really great...i would like to meet him too :D
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Wow!! Never had anything remotely kool happen like that when i was going to school :P This guy has alot of respect from me. he went out into the wild an studied a pack of Arctic wolves. They were wild wolves an it was amazing how devoted he was to his research. I remember watching this on National Geographic video an I need to own that dvd it was just so awesome :howl:  :oo

Yea this is the one http://www.amazon.com/National-Geograph ... 6304475993

It's something so amazing about how this man did this an never once got attacked..All this proof that wolves are harmless yet people just want to avoid truth..I hope you have a great time Doruk Golcu :jester:
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

They aren't harmless-unless you give them the respect they are due. Their social structure is older than ours, and a lot more stable.
Just remember that
>they were here first, and
>they are very very intelligent.
Not Human intelligence, no; that would get them extinct really fast. They are as alien as Martians, yet can understand what we do, most of the time.
Give them your honest respect, though- and they'll give you theirs.
Just remember, it's their world, and you play by their rules...
IF you act like an honest Wolf, they'll treat you as one. Act like a silly human, and they'll chase you away.
Willfully kill or deliberately injure one--you're a threat to the Pack, and therefore Prey.
That's why European Wolves are not as friendly as American Wolves: They have been raised to distrust and fear Humans, based on many centuries of human/wolf interactions.
I've run with Wolves-back in the early seventies. This is what They taught me.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

RedEye wrote:They aren't harmless-unless you give them the respect they are due. Their social structure is older than ours, and a lot more stable.
Just remember that
>they were here first, and
>they are very very intelligent.
Not Human intelligence, no; that would get them extinct really fast. They are as alien as Martians, yet can understand what we do, most of the time.
Give them your honest respect, though- and they'll give you theirs.
Just remember, it's their world, and you play by their rules...
IF you act like an honest Wolf, they'll treat you as one. Act like a silly human, and they'll chase you away.
Willfully kill or deliberately injure one--you're a threat to the Pack, and therefore Prey.
That's why European Wolves are not as friendly as American Wolves: They have been raised to distrust and fear Humans, based on many centuries of human/wolf interactions.
I've run with Wolves-back in the early seventies. This is what They taught me.
Point taken, but look at all your resources before you say tha wolves aren't harmless. Wolves kill wat they need not for sport, most of man hunts for power an sport..Wolves have NEVER have harmed nor attacked a human. Humans have forever hated wolves which is why they almost died out. Wolves distrust humans for good reason. Look how many have been killed in recent years an even now in many places the wolves are the prey of man. No..Wolves are not dangerous, the majority of the human race is..If you read up on this an look at all the you'll see my words are true..
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Thats very awesome that you get to interview him. Make sure to tell us all about it afterwards!
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend