The problem with Freeborn's concept...

The place for anything at all...
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

The problem with Freeborn's concept...

Post by Dreamer »

The problem is that, if it gets made, when people hear about the concept (e.G. non-evil werewolves) they automatically associate it with Teen Wolf. I mean, that happens every time I tell people about the film's concept, so what will it be like if people do this on a national scale?
XIV
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

when I first heard the concept I pictured those whiney emo (we are the victims) vampires like Angel or Ann Rice's creations.
only as werewolves.

I am not a fan of the outright evil and know it, or the whiney we are the victims and must fight our nature type of things.

More between the two, a monster that is what it is and makes no excuses but doesn't go out of its way to be evil.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

Then the movie trailer has to be made so that people don't believe so. It will need to blow people's minds. Either that or in the movie reviews it needs to say it's not like Teen Wolf...which I thought wasn't the best movie, but that's for another thread.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

This was hashed once or twice as I recall. I am a member of the crowd (however lonely it might be) that says 'Freeborn will be Freeborn'. If you're not giving the people your speaking to a frame of reference, then they will come up with what they think is close. Since what Freeborn is doing hasn't really been done with werewolves yet, nothing may exist.

I may better be able to use a personal example. While I don't wholly believe the following statment - the guy who was introducing me to people that he knows in LA kept saying that I was the Eric Clapton of the violin. Had he said that I was an awesome violinist, or skilled, or talented, or whatever; they wouldn't know what to measure that against. So, look for a movie that you think compares to Freeborn content wise the best, and say that Freeborn is the _______ of werewolf movies.

That way, nobody winds up thinking it's another Teen Wolf.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

How bout 'Freeborn is the Citizen Kane of werewolf movies'
:D 8) :wink:
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

They do have a preview teaser trailer thing that defiantly does not give the impression of teen wolf. Its on the site somewhere..look it up yourself, Im lazy. :wink:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Baphnedia wrote:This was hashed once or twice as I recall. I am a member of the crowd (however lonely it might be) that says 'Freeborn will be Freeborn'. If you're not giving the people your speaking to a frame of reference, then they will come up with what they think is close. Since what Freeborn is doing hasn't really been done with werewolves yet, nothing may exist.

I may better be able to use a personal example. While I don't wholly believe the following statment - the guy who was introducing me to people that he knows in LA kept saying that I was the Eric Clapton of the violin. Had he said that I was an awesome violinist, or skilled, or talented, or whatever; they wouldn't know what to measure that against. So, look for a movie that you think compares to Freeborn content wise the best, and say that Freeborn is the _______ of werewolf movies.

That way, nobody winds up thinking it's another Teen Wolf.

Sounds good: howzabout "Freeborn is the Re-Definition of Werewolf movies." (IMHO)
That'd get people in just out of curiosity...it is a love story, after all.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Everything I've seen about the film so far leads me to think that it's a character drama about werewolves. Adult, not in the R20 sense but in the sense that it's aimed at an adult audience.

What "Freeborn" needs to do is make some sort of inroad into the mass market. There are obviously enough people willing to go to any movie with something that resembles a werewolf in it (how many sequels did "The Howling" get? six? seven? and I've seen hardly a good word about any of them, so there are obviously enough diehards out there) but the trick will be to get people who couldn't really care about werewolves as such - but would give a chance to a movie if it's likely to have a decent plot, good characters, some action, some drama, etc. - to go and see the film.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Oddly enough the teaser has brought several folks into interest that normally have no interest in werewolf films..

And no, there are no 'self loathing' werewolves in freeborn... evil is personal... not global.. wolves are instinctual.. humans choose good and evil..

This is a character piece.... it has more werewolves in it, than any other werewolf film.. but oddly enough, it's not about werewolves.. its about people... and THAT is waht a general audience can cling to.. and relate to.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

I have a REAL hard time convincing other screenwriters that CampLycanthrope isn't like Teen Wolf because it relis so much on humor. I go to extremes to point out that it is "dark humor"
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

ABrownrigg wrote:Oddly enough the teaser has brought several folks into interest that normally have no interest in werewolf films..

And no, there are no 'self loathing' werewolves in freeborn... evil is personal... not global.. wolves are instinctual.. humans choose good and evil..

This is a character piece.... it has more werewolves in it, than any other werewolf film.. but oddly enough, it's not about werewolves.. its about people... and THAT is waht a general audience can cling to.. and relate to.
It's about people; some of whom can do something unusual and unique. That doesn't make them monsters. Hunting one of these unusual people because of what they can do, or Killing one of them: that's what makes a monster-not the fur and fangs.
That's why I so want to see this project get the funding it needs and get made: Its treatment of Werewolves is unique; and the Wulfen in the picture are probably more like what they'd be, as people-if they existed.
That-ultimately-will be the saddest part of the film: that we humans are still alone on this planet as the only sapient species.
Still, this is a picture that needs to be made.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

ABrownrigg wrote:evil is personal... not global.. wolves are instinctual.. humans choose good and evil..
Wow, that makes me so happy. :o
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

I have yet to test out what others would think of the films plot, personally the thought never crossed my mind as I wanted non evil werewolves years before I found this forum and saw many others that were looking for the same.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Xiroteus wrote:I have yet to test out what others would think of the films plot, personally the thought never crossed my mind as I wanted non evil werewolves years before I found this forum and saw many others that were looking for the same.
Same with me. It's just that when I mention the movie's conept of non-evil weres people allways say "Oh, like in Teen Wolf?".
XIV
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

Same with me. It's just that when I mention the movie's conept of non-evil weres people allways say "Oh, like in Teen Wolf?".
I may have to bring this subject up at some time and hear what reactions I receive.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

I guess the long scene in Freeborn with gestalt-formed werewolves playing basketball together doesn't help...
:wink:
Wolf22
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Wolf22 »

I too have waited a long time for a movie in which the werewolves are evil, but the problem is that (for what I noticed) whenever you bring up werewolves they think evil righ away. So even if the movie doesn't have evil werewolves people will hear the word werewolves and think the werewolves are evil.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Wolf22, what you say of associating evil and werewolves... are you form Elkhorn by chance? :p
Ceekur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ceekur »

I'm guessing his beginning clause of the first sentence was just a typo. :P

Hmm, claws...
' They have come to take my life...
Let us settle this 300 year-old war once and for all...
Who shall live...? Who shall die...? ' ~ Moonlight Symphony - Vampire Night

Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Freeborn is a pretty serious piece. I don't think Teen Wolf will be the first thing that springs to most people's minds. Indeed, from a movie standpoint, it'll be something pretty unique, though perhaps hopefully a trend-setter.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

I can agree with the possibility of Freeborn as a trend setter. Consider: The Geico cavemen are being considered for a winter comedy series on television.
And they aren't half as good looking... :)
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

RedEye wrote:I can agree with the possibility of Freeborn as a trend setter. Consider: The Geico cavemen are being considered for a winter comedy series on television.
And they aren't half as good looking... :)
Fall actually I think. I couldnt believe it when I heard. Companies have now moved to creating whole shows as advertisements...because you know there will be not so subtle Geico posters in the back. :P
Wolf22
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Wolf22 »

Hehe! My bad on the last reply, alot of stuff was circling in my head and the hands just couldn't get it right on the key board. :lol:
Baphnedia wrote:Wolf22, what you say of associating evil and werewolves... are you form Elkhorn by chance? :p
No, I'm not. I've heard of it but I don't know where it is.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Elkhorn is the county seat of Walworth County you!!

Fun facts about Elkhorn:

NW of the 'town' is supposedly a huge (and new) shrine to Hitler. (the shrine made statewide and possibly national news in '06, if I remember right)
SE of the town is Bray Road, which has a mess of lore about it - to include the story behind the movie: The Beast of Bray Road.
Elkhorn, WI is almost as weird as Monroe, WI. If you want to know where they are, look on a map.
Wolf22
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Wolf22 »

That's why I did know where it. It's in southern WI. I'm in central WI, so I really don't pay much attention to stuff in the southern part of the state. :|