Human-form telltale signs?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:Better ducks than people!
*tosses Lupin* :jester:
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

Better you than me...
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

thanks! and until i learn exactly what's going on, i'll just impart my vast knowledge unto the masses.........lol, now i sound like a know-it-all. i AM one, but i don't want to sound so conceited!

and i'm NOT fresh meat. if you try to eat me, you'll find out just what i mean by 'psychological parallels'
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Akela wrote:Better you than me...
*tosses Akela*

Welcome to the club!! :jester2:
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

What's that, a scent in the wind.... by George... its... its... FRESH MEAT!

If you are a know it all, then answer this; What exactly is the function of a bolter? :lol:
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

"...shall reap what he sowed..."
*tosses Figarou*
:lol:
Sanity is relative.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Ralith Lupus wrote:"...shall reap what he sowed..."
*tosses Figarou*
:lol:
Oooo...look at me!! I can fly!! :lol:
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

i'd tell you what it was and what it did if it had anything to do with this threads topic. speaking of witch, let's get back on track. i thank you all for the welcom, but we are straying from the topic 'human signs of a werewolf'
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Okay newbie rule #1: Figarou is the master of off topicness.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

celtwolf wrote:i'd tell you what it was and what it did if it had anything to do with this threads topic. speaking of witch, let's get back on track. i thank you all for the welcom, but we are straying from the topic 'human signs of a werewolf'

Ok...back on track.

Human sign of a werewolf

Presto!!!

http://www.zerotime.com/night/detect.htm
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

celtwolf wrote:i'd tell you what it was and what it did if it had anything to do with this threads topic. speaking of witch, let's get back on track. i thank you all for the welcom, but we are straying from the topic 'human signs of a werewolf'
Well you could always do it in the introduction thread sticked in "General Stuff"
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Staying on topic too much gets boring :)
Sanity is relative.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Akela wrote:Okay newbie rule #1: Figarou is the master of off topicness.

My post count proves it. :sweatdrop:
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Congratulations, you win the "Too shy to post" award.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Ralith Lupus wrote:Staying on topic too much gets boring :)
Not to mention the fact that it's not that hard to get an off-topic thread back on topic.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Akela wrote:Congratulations, you win the "Too shy to post" award.
no..I win the "I didn't catch that post" award.
(Thats if you're refering to me.)
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Lupin wrote:
Ralith Lupus wrote:Staying on topic too much gets boring :)
Not to mention the fact that it's not that hard to get an off-topic thread back on topic.
It's nigh impossible actually
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

What? It's happend in several threads on this forum.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Re: Human-form telltale signs?

Post by Volkodlak »

my take:

on first look they are normal but on touch they are hoter because high body temp.
but friends could notice better reflexes and senses they are stronger than before, eat more meet food and absence during full moon and the next day.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

I agree with the heightened body temperature. Canids have a higher metabolism and run several degrees hotter that humans do. If you've become a hybrid of the two, then that would make sense.
FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis
Mood: Indifferent

Post by FoxKnight »

Yeah, but the difference between the two species is that humans have sweat glands and canines pant

The only thing I can see being tell-tale in human form is the tail remaining from the werewolf form, if it had one.
Tailed werewolves shouldn't be able to shed a whole appendage that was only there for only a day or so. At least, it makes more sense this way to me... o.o
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

FoxKnight wrote:Yeah, but the difference between the two species is that humans have sweat glands and canines pant

:P no necro-posting :P JOKE(just in case) :P
Maybe they do both in varying degrees depending on their form.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

The general idea I have so far is that werewolves don't have one definitive telltale sign that is universally applicable that anyone can point to and definitively say "That means he's a werewolf!", but that they display multiple signs which may not seem out of the ordinary by themselves, but that a combination of such may be telltale by comparison.

Here's what I've got so far:

Frequent yet short-lived bleeding:
Shapeshifters are more "fluid" than normal humans, which means they bleed easier, but because they are regenerators, wounds clot and heal just as easily as they are acquired. As such, a werewolf may have scabs, nosebleeds, reddened fingernails, bleeding gums, darkened urine and subconjunctival hemorrhaging.

Sweating, etc. / dehydration:
For the same reason, werewolves sweat or otherwise expel fluids (runny nose, watery eyes, etc.) more easily. Werewolves are thus prone to dehydration. Typical practice of a werewolf is to keep a six-pack of bottled water at their workplace, another one in their car and a modest stockpile at home.

Pain / spasms:
It isn't just during transformation that the body is shifting. Transformation is the only time when it is physically apparent, but werewolves sometimes experience aches, pains, spasms or tics similar to that of minor Tourette's patients.

Headaches, dizziness, light sensitivity, etc.:
Werewolves also endure recurring chemical alterations in their brain and nervous system, which can have any number of side effects. A werewolf may need to sit down, close his eyes or otherwise steady himself without any apparent reason.

Immunity:
Werewolves seemingly never get sick. At least not in the literal sense.

Weak-stomached / wimpy eaters:
A werewolf's immunity comes at the expense of having a weak stomach and an overactive bladder. Most hunters and trackers assume werewolves have expanded pallets, but this is only true in the sense that werewolves can eat anything and live. Werewolves in civilization are actually very timid eaters, or at the very least, will try to avoid eating anything they've never had before outside of their own home.

Sniffling, squinting, etc.:
The werewolf form has a different set of sensory organs than the human body, and werewolves often have trouble readjusting after moving from one to the other. Someone who had been a werewolf the night before, for example, might feel like they have stuffed up sinuses after experiencing the world with a nose much more sensitive than their default form's. Symptoms vary, but the general idea is that a werewolf will demonstrate symptoms as if something was wrong when they are otherwise fine.

Cosmetic apathy:
Turning into a wolf on occasion, as well as all the other aforementioned problems they deal with, gradually reduces their concern for their outward appearance. They don't completely let themselves go, but they will stop shaving or shave less often, put off haircuts or manicures, stop wearing makeup and hold onto clothing for longer.

Antisocial / reclusive:
Yeah. Self-explanatory.

Awkward social dynamics:
Werewolves generally walk a delicate line between community and isolation with their fellow werewolves. They try to look out for each other because if one gets in trouble, it could trigger a panic reaction with the general populace that will make life a million times more difficult for them, but also keep their distance so that any would-be hunter who successfully identifies one won't be able to immediately identify the rest of the pack among his associates. As such, werewolves try to downplay their connections by masking them with a "cover story" of sorts, IE: when writing the other werewolves' phone numbers in their address book, will list them by occupation or their workplace instead.

A werewolf may, therefore, have some professional relationships that don't make a lot of sense. If the werewolf listed as their hairdresser or auto mechanic lives in a different area code, if they inexplicably have a business like Mack Trucks or Jiffy John in their book, if they somehow know the name and phone number of their mail carrier or trash collector, or if they profess to enjoy a local artist or eatery that otherwise sucks royally, chances are their real connection is with another werewolf.

Cold and/or distant family dynamics:
The general code word when referring to another member of a pack is to call them "family." Though they remain outwardly distant, the bonds of lycanthropy heavily outweigh all other bonds. Werewolves are family for life, whether you like it or not.

Consequently, "official" family relations like between husband and wife tend not to appear not to hold as much weight and yet simultaneously are seldom ever broken. Werewolves who are happily married may not show it often because, in terms of their own perspective, their relationship is first and foremost as members of the pack. Likewise, werewolves who fall out of love with each other seldom separate because of it since, like it or not, they will still both be werewolves -- still both be family -- after the divorce.

We've all seen the old Irish or Italian couple that clearly hate each other but won't separate because they've got old Christian values. Somebody might be a werewolf if s/he is in a similar relationship but is otherwise very young with very liberal-progressive views.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

good idea Terastas but i would add elevated body temperature too your list and i think there would be a telltale signs but it could be mistaken example:
pronouced canines and body temperature are signs that i think WW will have in human form , but body temperature could be youst fever, but for canines some people have them so you cant tell hes werewolf.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

lovec1990 wrote:good idea Terastas but i would add elevated body temperature too your list and i think there would be a telltale signs but it could be mistaken example:
pronouced canines and body temperature are signs that i think WW will have in human form , but body temperature could be youst fever, but for canines some people have them so you cant tell hes werewolf.
Possibly, though I didn't think to add that one because I didn't think of it as something that could be outwardly observable. If we're assuming the person looking for werewolves doesn't want anyone to know they're looking for werewolves, walking up to a suspect and feeling their forehead wouldn't be an option.