My Concept for stopping the great human-made mass extinction

The place for anything at all...
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

My Concept for stopping the great human-made mass extinction

Post by Dreamer »

I don't have much faith in humanity's ability to stop the mass extinction, mainly because we are too fant and stupid, gong about our daily lives with little time to think of such concerns (only 37 % of americans care about the environment), and the poor could care less about stuopid animals because they want to live as well as us at any cost (Not that I blame them). So I have an idea.

The pidgeons and the rats have adapted well because they have been able tyointegrate and survive in human cities. So why not genetically alter endangered species to live in a more poluted environment or to live in human cities without altering their distinctive characteristics.. Such as whale-like polar bears and rainforest trees that propegate in the same ways that weeds do.

Is it a good idea, or crap?
XIV
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Eh, never good when humans try to play god with the world...we messed up a lot of stuff already, I'm sure that wouldnt be any different...

On the other hand, I think their needs to be a world-wide law on how many kids people can have. Nobody should have 11 plus kids or whatever :P Also, people should have an IQ of a certain amount. We dont need more idiots allowed to breed and make more idiots :P lol
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: booooooooooored.....

Post by wolf4life »

NO!

I agree with silver....humans trying to play god is like hell in their hand waiting to open it!

and yes there are fat and lazy people...and yes poor people couldnt give a damn about the environment because they are worrying enough about their own lives. Poor for them.... :(

Besides, genetically altering animals! Where did that idea come from? That has to be sick...

Would it be cool to have alot of animals walking around in city environments with humans and other animals? Yes it would but that would totally take away their individuality! You restrict them from the wild and put them with civilized communities...any mishape and they get punishment for it or whatever. It's like prison! Or worse....SCHOOL!
"Es gibt nix, was es nicht gibt", translated "There's nothing which can't exist."

"Choose a good path....because you only get to choose once"-Wolf4life

"TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"-Gir
DarkShadow
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The coffee addicted were

Post by DarkShadow »

I also agree with Silverclaw and W4L. People playing god isn't a good idea. there could be many many consequences for doing things like that. A few pros maybe, but all in all, not that great IMO.
I can proudly say that I am not a stamp of the person beside me

Icon made by Z :D
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

I have to agree with Silver as well. Even if we could predict how the new creature would affect the environment, we could not predict how it will change and evolve.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

scientists estimate they will create new life within ten years.

They are already playing God.

however altering existing life forms is a whole other can of worms, and for many is was simply a matter of size, reproduction rate, and behavior that allows them not to simply adapt but in some cases to thrive.

when you alter one thing in something it always has a dominio effect that may change other features unpredictably. Like what happened with the altered corn.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

No, no, no, don't you remember what happened last time we tried this?

Why, indeed, Hyena-man.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
KittyRose
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Spotted Feline Writer

Post by KittyRose »

ravaged_warrior wrote:No, no, no, don't you remember what happened last time we tried this?

Why, indeed, Hyena-man.
Once I read this thread, that idea came to mind. That movie has some deep themes and meanings.

As for altering endangered species, I don't think that would be such a great idea. I can see that causing more harm than good. Playing God has many disadvantages and troublesome consequences.
DeviantART
Meez

:wolfpaint: Avatar created by Z
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I thought the movie sucked, so I didn't think too far into it. The excellent book had the meanings you're talking about, though. However, it was written way before genetics was really around, so instead of genetic alteration Moreau did vivisections... Basically doing plastic surgery on them while they were awake until they resembled people. A few things made no sense (Moreau talked about adding things to their brains to make them more intelligent, which was a very WTF moment, but you gotta remember when it was written), but overall it was an excellent book. I'd recommend it.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

Evolution occurs naturally. for some reason many are hell-bent on preserving the world exactly as it is. because of us (humans) the world and its enviroments are changing at rapid pace. natural selection will take its course, though at a much harsher level. many species will perish. sad but true. but, as was stated, most poeple dont care about the enviroment. they dont have to. no matter how much the world changes, we WILL be able to adapt. everything else isnt so lucky
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Not a good idea. You screw around with genetics and you alter the entire animal, whether you wanted to or not. How do you think humanity ended up with the domestic dog? Breeding for tameness caused mutations like altered coat color, curled tails, differing sizes, etc. It's not as simple as "take an animal, make it more adaptable". And why should nature cater to humans, anyhow?
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

Agreeing with everyone who says "Nay" to humans playing God, it just wont end well.
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolf4life »

Rhuen wrote:scientists estimate they will create new life within ten years.

They are already playing God.

however altering existing life forms is a whole other can of worms, and for many is was simply a matter of size, reproduction rate, and behavior that allows them not to simply adapt but in some cases to thrive.

when you alter one thing in something it always has a dominio effect that may change other features unpredictably. Like what happened with the altered corn.

and they will go down in flames when the animal sucks a** and cant live or something....

stupid scientists.....

and dont say anything against me on scientists...

i have heard it all before
"Es gibt nix, was es nicht gibt", translated "There's nothing which can't exist."

"TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"-Gir
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

I proposed this because we're probably not goign to save all those animals from extinction because of public apathy, the poor people's lack of willingness to help (And, although it's sad, this is completely justifiable because they shouldn't remain poor) and the fact that the Megacorporatons poluting our environment own us and will do everything in their power to destroy the environment. I heard the tiger is going to go extinct soon.

I think I'll go cry now :cry: :cry: :cry:
XIV
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolf4life »

*sigh*

its to bad that we cant do anything about it....

i shall join you

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

the fact that the Megacorporatons poluting our environment own us
how exactly do mega corporations own me?
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolf4life »

THEY DONT OWN US!

WERE THE ONES WHO WORK AND PAY THEM!!

i think

cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Re: My Concept for stopping the great human-made mass extinc

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

"Playing god" has so much more meaning, that it should not be used lightly. However it is always used lightly. There is a lot more to God than the fact that he had the power to create the universe.

In this case it is very difficult for me to decide considering the heart is in the right place.

Our entire lifestyle was created when people took such risks. Doing something when the outcome was unknown.
One could argue that not trying it would be the result of fearing the unknown.
But one could argue that trying it could do more harm than good.

I am not going to delve in that particular field, thus it is something you will have to decide for yourself.
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Lukas wrote:
the fact that the Megacorporatons poluting our environment own us
how exactly do mega corporations own me?
They own everything around us. They own the media, shaping our (or, more specifically, the dumber and more-distracte section of America that gets their political opinions from commercials) opinions to their advantage. They control us because they are the ones that give us jobs. They are trying to control the internet (And, sadly, I think they will win what with the Leiberman-esque Democrats around, doing things like bending over backwards to Bush's will and letting him wiretap us). They control the politicians through campaign donations.

So I think it is true that they own us. And unfortunately, they are run by sociopaths (see Rupert Murdoch) so...
XIV
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I hate to say this but the US is not run by the common people anymore, just the rich and big corporations.

This is why its important to have a revolution or rebel againts the government every now and then.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolf4life »

i dont like the government or politics...

people say im just pig headed and stuff...

the rich get the tax breaks and us poor people get the back handed slap and get stuck with the taxes that we cant pay!

cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

I hate to say this but I find it unlogical to think that ALL people in a position of power are bad. The government is no exception.
Maybe all the good politicians go by unoticed. The few that do not get murdered or are misunderstood. Maybe the ones that are misunderstood do things to avoid being murdered.
I doubt anyone on the outside truly knows what goes on behind those closed doors.
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Oh ofcourse not all politicians are bad, they just like us. And by the way wolf4life, rich people get much bigger taxes than we do.

Anyway the government also needs to be reminded of who they are working for, we as people are the top authority of this country, we are higher than the congress if most of US doesn't agree on something then it will not pass.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolf4life »

i never said they didnt get higher taxes....

Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Shadow Wulf wrote: we are higher than the congress if most of US doesn't agree on something then it will not pass.
Then how do you explain those LEiberman-clone BASTARDS of democrats giving unchecked wiretapping power to Alberto Gozales! KILL THE PSEUDO-DEMOCRATS!

AND VOTE OBAMA IN 2008! (Watch the Daily Show interview. He did good, especially when he said why the youth seem to like him )
XIV