Your Current Portable Music Device

The place for anything at all...
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Your Current Portable Music Device

Post by Xiroteus »

What are you currently using? (If you own a portable music device.)

How often do you feel the need to purchase a new model?

Do you feel there is such a thing as being too small?

I normally like electronic gadgets to be small, however, I also need to be able to hold on to it.

I know it is just business, however, there is always an updated model, doubt people want to wait forever just because there will be another new model, unless it is a new device like the Iphone, that would be best to wait for the next generation. Of course no one always has to have the newest model, I am still using the Ipod mini I got as a gift three years ago, still working correctly, I would have to have a good reason to buy another to use it for the same reason as my current Ipod, even if I would like a new model. The new Ipod Classic and Nano looks good, should be more then enough for most people (160GB) unless they store many hours of video.

Anyone still using the first generation Ipod? :D

It is also possible that some members here have no portable music device.

Does anyone have one yet it never leaves the house? I use mine at home for the last three years, really do not play music in public (I like to hear what is going on around me.)
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

An old Samsung thing, I forget the name.

All the time. Someday you'll be mine, Creative Zen Vision... Damn that Zune for breaking on me! It was so cool, too!

A limit of 512 MB that I can't swap out because I lost the cable is annoyingly small. If I had had more space, I'd at least have more songs on there, cable or not.
Last edited by ravaged_warrior on Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

How long did your Zune last?

Which Creative Zen Vision? I saw two on Amazon.

Some people are waiting or were hoping for a sixteen gigabyte Ipod Nano, some were hoping the I Touch would have more storage for the price.

I keep wondering how small they will try to make these gadgets, they look great, maybe they are going for the wallet Ipod.

I would never need one hundred and sixty gigabytes of storage for music, I am not even using three right now, could store video, however, unless I travel a lot, not sure how often I would be watching videos, television programs or movies on an Ipod. If the mini broke, I would most likely go with the new black nano. However, for fifty more I could get an eighty gigabyte Ipod classic. Decisions.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Xiroteus wrote:How long did your Zune last?
Five days.
Which Creative Zen Vision? I saw two on Amazon.
Hmmm... There's a widescreen version now, didn't know that. The fullscreen one, I don't have $600 to pay for one of these. The other one is $250, but that's how much the Zune was.
I would never need one hundred and sixty gigabytes of storage for music, I am not even using three right now, could store video, however, unless I travel a lot, not sure how often I would be watching videos, television programs or movies on an Ipod. If the mini broke, I would most likely go with the new black nano. However, for fifty more I could get an eighty gigabyte Ipod classic. Decisions.
I think that 30 GB should be just about enough for me for video and music. I can't believe that they're packing them up so much now.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

Five days.
Wow, not so good, replacement possible?
I think that 30 GB should be just about enough for me for video and music. I can't believe that they're packing them up so much now.
There will be a time when more space will be needed, however, I believe there has to be some type of limit to how small these items can become, Ipod paper?

Prefer Zen and Zune over Ipod?
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Xiroteus wrote:
Five days.
Wow, not so good, replacement possible?
There will be a time when more space will be needed, however, I believe there has to be some type of limit to how small these items can become, Ipod paper?

Prefer Zen and Zune over Ipod?
I don't think the warranty covers the product being too fragile, so I don't think they'll fix or replace it, and I will NOT buy another one for the same price. I put it in my backpack because I was afraid of the screen getting messed up in my pocket. The screen, unfortunately, cracked from the back while inside my backpack. I don't honestly know why, I had only two relatively light textbooks in there.

The smaller they get, it seems, the more limited the space is going to be for that size until much later. It's the larger ones that I'd pay attention to. However, the iPod Video has a nice thin quality to it, but I'm not all that interested in the iPod brand as a whole, since there are better ones out there (the Zen Vision not only has a radio, but a sound recorder). iPod is just the most popular.
-Jack Handey
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

I don't think the warranty covers the product being too fragile, so I don't think they'll fix or replace it, and I will NOT buy another one for the same price. I put it in my backpack because I was afraid of the screen getting messed up in my pocket. The screen, unfortunately, cracked from the back while inside my backpack. I don't honestly know why, I had only two relatively light textbooks in there.
So, that is what happened, they most likely do not cover that, unless they have some type of extra insurance like some cellular telephones have. By trying to protect your player, it breaks anyway, a bit painful losing an expensive item like that so quickly.
The smaller they get, it seems, the more limited the space is going to be for that size until much later. It's the larger ones that I'd pay attention to. However, the iPod Video has a nice thin quality to it, but I'm not all that interested in the iPod brand as a whole, since there are better ones out there (the Zen Vision not only has a radio, but a sound recorder). iPod is just the most popular.
The Ipod has more support, there does appear to be other players out there for cheaper and do more, the new Ipod Classic may beat some of those now. Ipods look the best of all other players, as well as size, that is a big factor.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

i used to use a sony CD player but then i got a 40G 2004 ipod with adapter(plus wheel) for free( i have a good friend) and now i use that
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Xiroteus wrote:So, that is what happened, they most likely do not cover that, unless they have some type of extra insurance like some cellular telephones have. By trying to protect your player, it breaks anyway, a bit painful losing an expensive item like that so quickly.
And it was the only birthday present I got that day, so that made it suck even more.
The Ipod has more support, there does appear to be other players out there for cheaper and do more, the new Ipod Classic may beat some of those now. Ipods look the best of all other players, as well as size, that is a big factor.
It is pretty good for size, but compared to the Zune and the Zen Vision, there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference. This is ignoring other iPods, though, and there are other iPods that are smaller that have less features. Nano's good if you just want music. The iPod Shuffle, however... probably the worst MP3 player ever. No screen, small size limit, and my MP3 player has a screen, has the same amount of space, and best of all, was cheaper just because it wasn't the iPod brand. "You get what you pay for", my friend sometimes says of the Apple brands, and in one way, you do: the name. The other iPods are decent, they just don't interest me, and other players are out there that cost less and do the same thing. The video players seem to be the only ones with a constant price range where Apple hasn't jacked up the price just because it's iPod.

I'm being a little vicious here, so I'll stop ranting now.
Last edited by ravaged_warrior on Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jack Handey
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

And it was the only birthday present I got that day, so that made it suck even more.
That would, if it had to break, you could of least had it for a few months. (Fifty?)
It is pretty good for size, but compared to the Zune and the Zen Vision, there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference. This is ignoring other iPods, though, and there are other iPods that are smaller that have less features. Nano's good if you just want music.

The new nano can now play video.......... on a two inch screen, maybe not so useful.
The iPod Shuffle, however... probably the worst MP3 player ever. No screen, small size limit, and my MP3 player has a screen, has the same amount of space, and best of all, was cheaper just because it wasn't the iPod brand.

The only thing the Ipod shuffle going for it, is that it is an Ipod and small, I have seen other one gigabyte players for half the price with a screen so you can at least pick the next song. Apple is good at design.
"You get what you pay for", my friend sometimes says of the Apple brands, and in one way, you do: the name. The other iPods are decent, they just don't interest me, and other players are out there that cost less and do the same thing. The video players seem to be the only ones with a constant price range where Apple hasn't jacked up the price just because it's iPod.
I noticed that my battery life on my mini is almost useless, guess it does not matter as I never take it anywhere, only for all music at home.
Two hundred for eight gigabytes or eighty for fifty dollars more, those prices are based on hard drive and flash memories from what I read. People also want something in the middle, four, eight then eighty giga bytes, however, maybe they are thinking the price would differ little from eight to eighty.
I'm being a little vicious here, so I'll stop ranting now.
You have your reasons.
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

The only music portable device I have is the Top-Tint 512mb E28 mp3 player. I got it from Chinatown for a good price. $40

I bought it 2 years ago and it is still working, but the screens shield broke.
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

....this is sad but.....my phone..... it's a cu500 and it's got this MP3 thingy that I use....I knwo I'am lame
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

I have an iPod and it's the second generation thing. As for how often I use it, everyday, and I don't go buying new model until my current one is dead and broken.
Confidential
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Confidential »

So far the only thing I considered as a music device is my 60GB Creative Zen Vision W, other than my mobile phone and Pocket PC.
I just saw a 6th generation 160GB iPod recently released but I think I won't buy it until the Zen is broke and/or obsolete.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

I don't go buying new model until my current one is dead and broken.
I will wait until my Ipod mini is dead to buy another one as well, otherwise it is too easy to want the next best thing.
Some people sell their last generation model shortly before the release of a new Ipod, they do not always lose much.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Portable music device....um, for me, that would be my car :P :wink: I just buy actual cds and play em in my room or my car....I guess I should get with the times one of these days....
lol
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

I just buy actual cds and play em in my room or my car....I guess I should get with the times one of these days....
lol
Compact discs? :?

Maybe you will move to something else when and if you feel the need.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

None. The MP3-player I got for my birthday just gave up on me one day.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

I have a 2GB Samsung USB MP3 player. I have it rigged to play through my car's cassette player. 75 bucks that never failed me, accept when the battery needs a recharge. It does survive playing non-stop for 10 hours on the long drive to Texas though, and always dies just as I enter Fort Worth.

I switch out the music every month or so for other stuff on my compy. Right now I am mostly blowing my brains out with Techno music. Darude, Apex Twin, Chemical Brothers, Black Eyed Peas, 2 Blind Mice, Moby, DJ Photek, Ivy and Spin. Mostly early 90's club stuff. The nostalgia blows my mind every time I hear "Sandstorm" or "Block Rockin' Beats". I might switch back to some 90's rock this month.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Absolute Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Absolute Wolf »

I have a 1GB Allfine USB MP3 player.I have used it for over a year now and it's still works. I mostly use in places where I have to wait for a long time,sometimes in traffic.After recharge it takes me about 6-9 hours non-stop to completely drain it, depending on the volume.
I think I will stay with it until it will break or will be of no use to me!
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Call me old fashioned: I have a 2GB Samsung, but mostly I use a portable CD player with a built-in FM radio. The sound is just better, that's all. I do have a pair of white earbuds, though, that I use as camoufllage :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Caine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Caine »

iPod here. Still running First Gen!

The scroll wheel isn't very smooth anymore :lol:
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

The iTopic

Post by Scott Gardener »

Hmm... I wonder if the new line of iPods inspired this topic? (I also wonder if this topic should be moved to non-were related, at least until the iMoon rises next MacWorld.)

I've got a 5.5th gen. video iPod, the 80GB black model. It was a Christmas gift from my wife; I unknowingly bought her a 30GB white one at the same time, too. Since it's not even a year old, the newest iPods aren't enough of a jump forward tech-wise to justify spending that much all over again so soon. Perhaps when the iPod Touch flash memory reaches 128GB or is offered with a 160GB hard drive. It's great having my entire music library with me, and since I got a car with an aux. adapter three months back, even mp3 CDs are starting to seem clunky and low capacity by comparison. It's hard for me to believe I was using cassettes as recently as seven years ago.

I work 24 hour shifts, so having something to help stay awake at 3am if I have to be up is nice, too. I've found the screen too tiny for watching anything cinematic, but for watching short animated features such as "Frisky Dingo" or shows like "The Daily Show" or downloads from CNet of Molly Wood's "The Buzz Report," which don't rely heavily on high definition resolution, it works reasonably well. Still, if I could get the iPod Touch's extra capabilities with my existing iPod's capacity, I'd consider it.

Then again, I have that now on my laptop. It just doesn't fit in a pocket. That's why I'm watching the UMPC movement closely. Get a look at this: http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/sma ... /index.php. It's not quite pocket sized, but it's closer. Note that before I got an iPod, I used my last PDA as an mp3 player, using a one Gig SD card. My phone could do it today, and my default SD card is a one Gig that pops open and fits into USB ports, doubling as a keychain drive. But, most of the time when I need a music player I either have my iPod or one of my computers--laptop or desktop--right in front of me anyway.

In the portable mp3 player venue, Apple has attained iconic status. The iPod will be one of the things people associate with this decade, alongside the Atkins Diet, 9/11, and "wardrobe malfunctions." All attempts at an "iPod killer" to date have been largely unsuccessful in uprooting the popularity of the device, regardless of professed technological superiority. Still, I think the Zune will have a cult following, assuming very many of them survive to the end of the decade.

I want to compile a playlist called "Destroy Humanity" in hommage to Scary Movie 4.

(edits: fixed some screwy hyperlinks)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Re: The iTopic

Post by Xiroteus »

Scott Gardener wrote:Hmm... I wonder if the new line of iPods inspired this topic? (I also wonder if this topic should be moved to non-were related, at least until the iMoon rises next MacWorld.)
Yes, the new line of Ipods did inspire this topic, looks like many people are waiting until theirs dies, no reason to pay more money when it may just be used the same as it is now.
It could be moved, I have always seen random general topics here, however, I overlooked the section type, general stood out more then the section.
I've got a 5.5th gen. video iPod, the 80GB black model. It was a Christmas gift from my wife; I unknowingly bought her a 30GB white one at the same time, too. Since it's not even a year old, the newest iPods aren't enough of a jump forward tech-wise to justify spending that much all over again so soon. Perhaps when the iPod Touch flash memory reaches 128GB or is offered with a 160GB hard drive. It's great having my entire music library with me, and since I got a car with an aux. adapter three months back, even mp3 CDs are starting to seem clunky and low capacity by comparison. It's hard for me to believe I was using cassettes as recently as seven years ago.
I was using cassettes until about eight nine years ago, I have heard many people that would like an Ipod Touch, they want to wait until the memory increases, not enough for the price.
All attempts at an "iPod killer" to date have been largely unsuccessful in uprooting the popularity of the device, regardless of professed technological superiority. Still, I think the Zune will have a cult following, assuming very many of them survive to the end of the decade.
It would take something advanced to beat the Ipod, it would have to do more, work just as well or better, same or more storage space, a design as good as the Ipods and cost less, then maybe it would have a chance.
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by *nagowteena* »

I Have a CD Player, it's a Sony and I've had it for about a year now. And I have my Cell Phone, it's a Sprint Samsung A-900, and it has a built in mp3 Player. so yeah... that's all I've got.... oh though I would love to have an ipod, but my mom said no. :(
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z