What problems would being a werewolf cause?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

Wolf-man-24 wrote:What was said about smells is a good point, i mean im human and the smell of any sort of perfume makes me gag. honestly my girlfriend is pissed cuz i wont get close if shes wearing it. amplify other smells, and there could be serious issues. imagine trying to walk int McD's and then *BARF!!!!!* :shift: :(
Thank you! I was thinking about smell as well. I can't stand certain smells. I can't imagine what it would be like if I had to smell a person as if my face was right next to the something that smells. Damn it, I can already smell a person. I know what I smell like, hence I shower very often...I don't want to smell anything. Nothing against cats, but I can't stand the cat-woman, the girl who owns 15 cats. I can't even breath around popcorn! Peanut butter! A person after they just got back from the bathroom! I'd die if my nose was so sensitive. I'd hang myself with my own intestines! Screw being a werewolf. I don't see why people would want to...having to smell everything in an extraordinary sense.
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

BUt, maybe being a Were you'd grow a tolarance to these things as in Were form, these smells might not bother you anymore. This could cross over into normal human form. :)
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

In my one of my fiction the main character is isolated from other weres. The only contact he had with another werewolf was the one that bit him when he was just a child.

So he feels detached from humanity for the fact he isn't human any more, he hungers for a connection with his own kind. Also no ever told him how a werewolf develops from a human and through puberty. he doesn't know that what is happening with his lycanthropic body is normal.

he feels lonely, isolated, and confused.
THE GAME

My Armory
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Troubles as Werewolf? Thought about it- Lemmesee here...

Shedding. Fleas. Poodles. Chihuahuas. Fleas. Getting the peasant out of your teeth (floss is a must). Keeping your cool-no matter what! Vacuuming your fur out of the furniture. Fleas. Getting hit on, and having to bow out: now everyone thinks you're gay/straight/non. Wanting to hit on someone-and realizing there isn't any safe sex with a Werewolf. If you mate, your signifigant other is either a dog or a b****. So are YOU! Every Thrift-shop owner knowing you by your first name, and giving you a volume discount on clothing...

The compensations? Infinite..... :D :shift:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
chubhound
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chubhound »

Hmmm.... Well, I'm not sure if these would affect wolves (and thus, presumeably, werewolves), but they do affect dogs of the domestic variety so who knows? Would eating certain foods cause a problem? Some things that're totally cool for humans are not good for dogs (chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, macadamia nuts, garlic, grapes & raisins, to name a few). It could be a problem if a werewolf has a few cups of coffee and then shifts into a wolf, and the caffeine in the coffee causes an increase in their heart rate or brings on a seizure. Or if that extra large piece of chocolate cake brings on severe vomiting, or that beer over dinner knocks you into a coma once you shift. Would you have to really watch your diet, or just wait a reasonable amount of time after eating "no-no" foods before shifting?
Life is too serious to be taken too seriously
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

chubhound wrote:Hmmm.... Well, I'm not sure if these would affect wolves (and thus, presumeably, werewolves), but they do affect dogs of the domestic variety so who knows? Would eating certain foods cause a problem? Some things that're totally cool for humans are not good for dogs (chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, macadamia nuts, garlic, grapes & raisins, to name a few). It could be a problem if a werewolf has a few cups of coffee and then shifts into a wolf, and the caffeine in the coffee causes an increase in their heart rate or brings on a seizure. Or if that extra large piece of chocolate cake brings on severe vomiting, or that beer over dinner knocks you into a coma once you shift. Would you have to really watch your diet, or just wait a reasonable amount of time after eating "no-no" foods before shifting?
I think that would depend on the sort of Werewolf involved. The more Caniform Werewolf (Canid-like Were') might well have those problems, but unless the digestive tract changes a great deal in the Shift, there shouldn't be much of a problem. One of the problems with some of the above foods and Canines is Dosage: What's a sip for a human mass is a big gulp for a smaller mass dog.
Then, pure Canine intestines are shorter than human ones, and absorb things differently.
What would probably be the most diet-limiting factor would be indigestion-and the resultant gas.
That might be one of the reasons that Werewolves are so grumpy. Tummy-rumbles. :lol:
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

At least it would cause problems if ou were going to live in human society :|
Humans can't stand anything unnormal among them.
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Moonstalker wrote:At least it would cause problems if ou were going to live in human society :|
Humans can't stand anything unnormal among them.
Including other Humans. Humans should come with a warning: "Does not play well with others, Hoards Toys, Engages in disruptive behaviour, and Will not adopt proper manners even after correction."

And that's the nice parts... :lol:
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

chubhound wrote:Hmmm.... Well, I'm not sure if these would affect wolves (and thus, presumeably, werewolves), but they do affect dogs of the domestic variety so who knows? Would eating certain foods cause a problem? Some things that're totally cool for humans are not good for dogs (chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, macadamia nuts, garlic, grapes & raisins, to name a few). It could be a problem if a werewolf has a few cups of coffee and then shifts into a wolf, and the caffeine in the coffee causes an increase in their heart rate or brings on a seizure. Or if that extra large piece of chocolate cake brings on severe vomiting, or that beer over dinner knocks you into a coma once you shift. Would you have to really watch your diet, or just wait a reasonable amount of time after eating "no-no" foods before shifting?
For dogs indeed, not for wolves. Wolves have a slightly better digesting-system then most dogs.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

One possible initial problem might be a clash between your human biological clock and wolfs. There'd be a period of "jet lag" while you adjust to being awake during the night.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Wait a minute, there! Wolves are awake when they need to be, and only then, for the most part.
They do prefer to hunt by day for obstacle avoidance reasons. They tend to sleep at night.

Not so much of a problem, then...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

The most basic and important problem about being a werewolf would have to eating habit. You would probably find yourself eating more meat than normal, and probably will get less often unless you shift a lot back and forth.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

As you get older, more of the Wolf problems occur.
Hip Dysplasia: because Wolves and Wolf-related dogs have shallow hip sockets.
Cataracts: Many Wolves three years old have lost 50% of their vision to cataracts.
Hypo-Calcemia: older wolves get brittle bones.

And specific to Werewolves: Hinge-and-slide joint degereration. Eventually, they just can't shift anymore; it hurts too much.
Spiritbw
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spiritbw »

Heh, maybe one of the reasons for werewolves not liking Garlic is becasue they now have those hightened noses. The stuff can be pretty pugent for a human, I can't imagine what it would be like for someone with Canine like senses. Noise would be another problem as there is alot that goes on outswide a human's hearing range...

Actually reminds me of a comic. Not a werewolf one but one of the characters is a geneticly modified being known as a Bowman's wolf. She's basicly a man made 24/7 werewolf that was a "proof of concept" for terraforming efforts. She has more than a few problems from having no colour sight to having problems with things like drinking cofffee(lapping hot liquids = not good).
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

RedEye wrote:As you get older, more of the Wolf problems occur.
Hip Dysplasia: because Wolves and Wolf-related dogs have shallow hip sockets.
Cataracts: Many Wolves three years old have lost 50% of their vision to cataracts.
Hypo-Calcemia: older wolves get brittle bones.

And specific to Werewolves: Hinge-and-slide joint degereration. Eventually, they just can't shift anymore; it hurts too much.
In my visions the first time is most painful, after few times the body gets used to it and it doesn't hurt. But getting older? how long they are supposed to live and wouldn't they have some kinda regeration system that prevents them dying in their "old mans" problems? ??
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Spiritbw
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spiritbw »

The regen might help with wear and tear type problems I suppose, but genetic ones could be a problem after a while I imagine. The body might be tricked to thinking it's suppose to be there so doesn't try to fix it.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

The Werewolves in "Wulfen Blood" live on the average of one hundred to one hundred twenty-five years; with the exceptional Wulf reaching one hundred fifty years of age at time of death.
That's if they don't do anything stupid...like being caught by the villagers.

Their extended life spans are due to their extra robustness, compared to Smoothskin Humans. From the age of twenty (on the average) they slow their aging down by a factor of three or thereabouts. A Werewolf of fifty years age is in the same shape as a Smooth at thirty; and a Werewolf at the age of eighty is comparable to a Smoothskin of fifty years old: mature.
In their nineties; time begins to catch up. Arthritis is common; at this age most Werewolves decide on a form and stay there. High Cholesterol is also a problem at older ages, and at age one hundred, they're tired but still vital and active. Senility is non-existant in Werewolves, but they do get strokes and may not fully recover from them at that age.
After a century of life, the most common form of death is the Reunion Cup. One of a Mating-Bonded pair dies, and usually the survivor requests the Cup, drinks, goes to sleep and passes away. Death does not separate them though; their religion is deeply reincarnation-oriented, and they know that after a rest in Lunara's place of peace and renewal they will be born again, find each other again, and once more enjoy the world together.
(This is all from "Wulfen Blood" and I an seriously trying to get published. If not; there's either Amazon or Lulu.)
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

(This is all from "Wulfen Blood" and I an seriously trying to get published. If not; there's either Amazon or Lulu.)
I'd definetly buy a copy :) Good luck :howl:  :oo
RoseMacska
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by RoseMacska »

RedEye wrote:The Werewolves in "Wulfen Blood" live on the average of one hundred to one hundred twenty-five years; with the exceptional Wulf reaching one hundred fifty years of age at time of death.
That's if they don't do anything stupid...like being caught by the villagers.

Their extended life spans are due to their extra robustness, compared to Smoothskin Humans. From the age of twenty (on the average) they slow their aging down by a factor of three or thereabouts. A Werewolf of fifty years age is in the same shape as a Smooth at thirty; and a Werewolf at the age of eighty is comparable to a Smoothskin of fifty years old: mature.
In their nineties; time begins to catch up. Arthritis is common; at this age most Werewolves decide on a form and stay there. High Cholesterol is also a problem at older ages, and at age one hundred, they're tired but still vital and active. Senility is non-existant in Werewolves, but they do get strokes and may not fully recover from them at that age.
After a century of life, the most common form of death is the Reunion Cup. One of a Mating-Bonded pair dies, and usually the survivor requests the Cup, drinks, goes to sleep and passes away. Death does not separate them though; their religion is deeply reincarnation-oriented, and they know that after a rest in Lunara's place of peace and renewal they will be born again, find each other again, and once more enjoy the world together.
I look forward to seeing this story. Not saying one is better or worse, but just to contrast story styles, I will share a bit of what I would have in mind for my story. It would also I believe add a different spin to were problems since a pure human mate could not be bitten, scratched or mated into the "pack" by transmitting the shape shifting ability that way.

Mate issues and cultural conflicts so to speak would be at the heart of the reasons I want to write about a strain of "genetic only transmission of shape shifters". I see it as all too easy if the pure human partner just gets assimilated into the 'pack' or in my story group of were-panthers through either bite, scratch or mating itself (or to go to the more "naughty" side a bit of all of these though I would mean more "gentle" bites and scratches).

Like your story mine would have a "mating bond" perhaps going back "lifetimes" but throwing in the extra hardship of one of the mates being a pure human in this lifetime and that human remaining human even though having a family with the were. I did see all the threads about these subjects, though usually the "human mother/were father" gets solved rather quickly and easily with "she will be 'infected' and become a shape shifter herself."

I have been reading the many threads about werewolf children, but maintaining the "as opposed to those bitten or otherwise infected in". I also see how the "science" of my version may need more explanation or might be considered even more impossible than the usual improbability of weres in general.

I had this in mind before I found this forum and will at least give a try for "genetic aka you can inherit it from parents only" model of shape shifting for my story.

:thumbsup: Again good luck to you on your story.
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

Avareis wrote:
Wolf-man-24 wrote:What was said about smells is a good point, i mean im human and the smell of any sort of perfume makes me gag. honestly my girlfriend is pissed cuz i wont get close if shes wearing it. amplify other smells, and there could be serious issues. imagine trying to walk int McD's and then *BARF!!!!!* :shift: :(
Thank you! I was thinking about smell as well. I can't stand certain smells. I can't imagine what it would be like if I had to smell a person as if my face was right next to the something that smells. Damn it, I can already smell a person. I know what I smell like, hence I shower very often...I don't want to smell anything. Nothing against cats, but I can't stand the cat-woman, the girl who owns 15 cats. I can't even breath around popcorn! Peanut butter! A person after they just got back from the bathroom! I'd die if my nose was so sensitive. I'd hang myself with my own intestines! Screw being a werewolf. I don't see why people would want to...having to smell everything in an extraordinary sense.
>.< ok...yeah I'd have to agree with you.... that would be a big problem.

I would NOT want my nose any more sensitive than it is already. It's already pretty damn sensitive thanks to my dad's side of the family...

My dad can smell food in neighboring cars while driving and identify which fast food restaurant it came from...which is kinda freaky in itself..... my nose is just about as good as that, minus the distinguishing-between-restaurants thing, which might just be experience. Pretty much I can not be in a room with someone who has used any type of body spray, scented candle, etc. because the smell makes my head hurt.. the only exception being coconut, banana, and chocolate...

but AXE body spray, NO... someone aimed a can at me once and ripped the top off so it emptied on me... I threw up. Literally, I vomited all over the floor after sneezing and gagging for 10 minutes.

The only upside to this would be that I've won bets by smelling what someone had for breakfast, that they have had their house repainted (and what type of paint), where their parents buy their detergent, and if they've gone swimming recently.

garlic...garlic is fun. If I eat garlic bread, I can smell garlic bread for the next 3 days because the smell gets into the oil in my skin ??

and cabbage....omfg.... If anyone has had coleslaw or New England "Boiled dinner" within the last 24 hours, I can tell. I HATE the smell of cabbage.

so yeah, I'd go nuts if someone amped that sense up by a thousandfold.... ??
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Uhhh, Howlitzer; are you SURE your family doesn't have a secret fuzzy side? :lol:

What you just described is what my Werewolves can do, Passing in Smooth, with three-quarters of their scent-abilities shut down by the retraction of their muzzle.

E-e-e-enteresting. :wink:
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Howlitzer wrote:garlic...garlic is fun. If I eat garlic bread, I can smell garlic bread for the next 3 days because the smell gets into the oil in my skin ??
I get that a bit as well, with garlic... I think it's supposed to be good for you. It's in my pores, not for three days but for at least a day. Seeing as I'm stuck in an office these days I've got to be careful of my garlic intake between Sundays and Thursdays...
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Howlitzer »

RedEye wrote:Uhhh, Howlitzer; are you SURE your family doesn't have a secret fuzzy side? :lol:
*checks* hmm...ok. I have one filling thanks to a dental screw up, I have not recently found myself in the middle of a field naked, nor I have ever woken up with my clothes shredded, and I do not get unusual cravings for meat, especially around the full moon...and I don't, nor have I ever to my knowledge had a tail....lol.

Yeah I think I'm fine.

RedEye wrote: What you just described is what my Werewolves can do, Passing in Smooth, with three-quarters of their scent-abilities shut down by the retraction of their muzzle.

E-e-e-enteresting. :wink:
um...it is? ok...heh. I wasn't yanking your tail.

I will have to read your book when it's available though.

I still blame my dad.

And hey....there ARE people who can do freakier things out there, who aren't in someone's book.
Last edited by Howlitzer on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Howlitzer »

Midnight wrote:
Howlitzer wrote:garlic...garlic is fun. If I eat garlic bread, I can smell garlic bread for the next 3 days because the smell gets into the oil in my skin ??
I get that a bit as well, with garlic... I think it's supposed to be good for you. It's in my pores, not for three days but for at least a day. Seeing as I'm stuck in an office these days I've got to be careful of my garlic intake between Sundays and Thursdays...
Yeah...I don't know if it is good for you, it'd be nice if it was... and it definitely did stick around for a while last time.

But I do have skin-oil production issues among other things, not acne, but it causes other problems with my eyes and stuff...so I'm on medication for it. This might explain the smell lingering for longer.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Re:

Post by Dreamer »

Avareis wrote:Yeah, you got to think about that sort of stuff, scott. I can't imagine having to marrying into my own "kind." I'm partly asian and I rather not marry into an asian family. Don't get me wrong. I do have pride in my bloodline, but I would like other nationalities in my bloodline, like italian...mmmh brunettes.
Imagine if you're a werewolf and your marriage has been organized before you were even born. Some cultures still do it, but having no control over who you want to be with because of the risk of thinning or mixing blood. And who would marry a monster anyway? How many people out there are understanding enough. Surely not americans..I know, because I live in America and I've met plenty of girls that say they don't like asian men, because they aren't attracted to them. Yeah me.....Good old fashioned racism.
Well, if you did it right, it could work as the basis for a love story. A good one, not that supermarket-shelf crap.
XIV