Why would a werewolf leave a pack?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Why would a werewolf leave a pack?

Post by Dreamer »

Well, in my story I'm trying to write (I'm in the processs of thinking about the next chapter and what it's gonna be like), :SPOILER:

the reason that he never knew is that his mother had a bad experience, and decided to live outside a pack. But I can't think what a catalyst for htat would be. So, why would a were choose to live outside a pack?
XIV
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

A number of different reasons:

- The bad experience caused the members to dislike them and they decided that no company was preferable to constant resentment.
- The bad experience revealed the pack was engaging in acts the were did not agree with.
- A variant on the one above, the bad experience was attempting (and failing) to stop those disagreeable acts. The flight in this case, is less out of digust, and more out of "I gotta go before they hunt me down and tear my throat out".
- Came to hate one (or more) pack member(s) that they left, despite the rest of the pack being generally good people. They simply didn't want to deal with those people any more.
- Failed play for power.
- Leaving to start own pack.
- Betrayed by a packmate.

etc. etc.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Hmmm...

Post by RedEye »

With the doubled social drives a Werewolf would have; leaving a pack would represent a serious turning point for someone.

There is the possibility that the Were' was simply a solopsist: someone who enjoys being alone.
Another potential could be to find a mate. It might be policy that Wulfen who are unmated after a given age MUST leave their home pack...or there might be the "Hillbilly" recusal: said Were' is related to everybody in the Pack too closely for safe offspring. Hence, said Were' would need to seek a mate elsewhere; perhaps to return-or perhaps to join their mate's pack. Note: I'm deliberately avoiding gender here, it could be a female that leaves our sample pack as easily as a male.*
Another possibility is the Pack leaving the Were'. They either get caught or killed or...whatever.

So, another couple of reasons. *Dibs on the Female leaving to seek a mate storyline- 6mos.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Just came up with another reason for a Werewolf to leave the pack...
He's decided to stop smoking.... :lol:
Anónimo Juan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anónimo Juan »

Maybe he is too weak or has any kind of injuries/sickness that doesn't help the pack so they leave him, sounds harsh but it's natural selection. :D
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

How about because he or she wants to have a LIFE? Seriously. who wants to live with the same damn people day in and day out.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

That would apply only if said Werewolf was part of some sort of Pack/Commune.
I think that most folks see a Werewolf pack as a group of Were's that hang together, but have their own lives in the Smooth world. Sort of a social club with fangs.

On the other hand (paw?) if they're feral and have left the Smooth human world behind them, there are a lot of reasons-already discussed.
Jarden
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Jarden »

Well usually it bils down to either the person is doing something the pack doesn't like or the pack is doing something the person doesn't like.
"River running free, You know how I feel" --Feeling Good.
Which, at 3 AM, didn't make any sense to me. The river is (usually,) always running. So, it really wouldn't know how he felt. Imagine what the river would give to play a game, write a play or run right back up the hill. Now, that's freedom.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

- He/she has people who want him/her dead, and collateral damage means more wasted $$$ and another hundred hours of drama.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

It could be for the human reason of that's where their career takes them.

Or maybe some dramatic story where they didn't know she was pregnant and wouldn't approve of the father so she ran away.

Then a couple of you suggested the pack was going somewhere she didn't like. Like starting to hunt humans. Or cult like stuff. Or just a new bad leader.

Maybe a hunter was coming after the entire pack but she was the only one to swallow her pride and run.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

Why not for the reason why a werewolf would have to leave a pack would be because his or her child is destined to be the end of all werewolves, or because a were-child is born different never changeing but with all the perks of his brethern and the pack, or born to change at will from birth and is more powerful than any werewolf in existence from birth and so the pack sends mother and child away so that any acts to kill the child will be directed away from the savor of the pack.
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rosiewolf »

I suppose it could be out of his or her own freewill. Or maybe some other factors went into this as why they wanted to leave. But it wouldn't make sense (to me at least) of a werewolf leaving his or her's pack. In that pack, they could be themselves and not have to worry about a human finding out who or what they are. Unless the werewolf wanted to leave the pack because they wanted to make their own. I think it just depends on what the werewolf wants to do.
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
Caine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Caine »

MattSullivan wrote:How about because he or she wants to have a LIFE? Seriously. who wants to live with the same damn people day in and day out.
I did that for four years. Trust me, it's all good, as long as you get to pick your packmates! Though... eventually, maybe after 8 years or so they'd start to stink like week old fish.
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rosiewolf »

But wouldn't you want to stay because you can trust them, and they understand you. And if you are changing they know what you are going through?
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

Or maybe one would leave to find another who is misguided, one who had been sired by another but the elder left the new found pup to fend for his or her self.
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.