Cloths or without?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Cloths or without?

Post by NightmareHero »

Should werewolves in this movie make an effort to wear strethable cloths?

There are two reasons why this would not be neccessary:

They already have fur; the main purpose of cloths is to keep us warm, and to some extent conceal our nudity. Since they already have fur, they wouldn't need cloths for this reason, and I wonder if they would want to conceal their bodies to other members of their pack, especially if they wanted to mate and look desirable.

it doesn't look realistic; the only place outside of myth that I have heard of werewolves wearing cloths is in furry stories and art. Also, who would see them with cloths. Since they don't need it for warmth, is it for sex appeal. Wouldn't they look better without cloths. I don't think they would want to go out in public with cloths on when transformed.

I don't think, if they have lived all their lives as werewolves, that they would care about cloths, but again one possible reason would be if it was to save time, for example, if a female needed to do something quickly, she could put on sweat gear, just take off her running shoes, transform, kill a bunny for a late dinner snack, and just put her shoes back on and transform into human, without worrying that anyone would find her cloths.

There is another reason that I believe they shouldn't have cloths: Association
People don't readily associate animals covered in fur to wear cloths, so if this movie is to take an artistically realistic approach to the werewolves, then it would look silly for them to wear T shirts or stretchy cloths. People wouldn't buy it as easily.
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

I would think that those that know enough about their condition would strip in advance, and those that don't would have phenomenal clothing bills :)

Likely those that shift more frequently would just wear loose things that are easy to get out of, rather than stretchy things.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

There's already a thread going on about this. It's agreed that werewolves wouldn't need clothing, but might wear it or have some handy out of decnecy or because they'll need it when they turn back into human form.

I'm not sure any solid ideas have been established though. My idea was that a werewolf would prefer to wear things that wouldn't get in the way during a transformation, but apparently the idea of a werewolf in a button-down shirt and dorm pants didn't sit that well with a lot of people. :oops:
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Call me a drama queen, or a drama junkie, even, but, I'm of the opinion that clothing should be featured mostly to show it being ripped apart, for the dramatic effect.
And after all, doesn't the average movie-goer want some drama in their films?

Post by Guest »

I'm definitely in support of rippage. Mostly for the dramatic aspect, and just because it's cool. But there is such a thing as overkill, so maybe the first changes have massive rippage, but the other times, once they know about their condition, they take it off and have extras. No clothed werewolves, though.
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Nah, no clothes at all. Maybe to the extend of a loin cloth, some jewlrey maybe no no pants, shirt or whatever. Unless of course it was a young werewolf who got caught shifting with his clothes one. Shred-city!

I've always asked myself this question to other people. "If we were covered in fur, would we wear clothes?" Well, would you? I know I woulden't. It would be way to hot!
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

I probably would wear clothes actually, just as a form of self expression, ya know.

Though it'd be pretty light loose fitting clothing, stuff that I hopefully wouldn't notice much in wolf form.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Not all werewolves would be the type who, as soon as they grow fur, would think, "allright!...FREEDOM...I don't have to wear clothes anymore!...". Don't forget that the weres are human too, and most humans a very modest about the idea of running around stark naked, even if wearing clothes was unbearably uncomfortable.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

It's not that important,actually nah forget about clothing if you have tosomehow to hide their private parts .
the werewolf in The Monster Squad was wearing a pants and a shirt,it looked ridiculous.
"The Wolf in Me...desires the Sheep in you."
Mr_Lycos
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Mr_Lycos »

the werewolf in The Monster Squad was wearing a pants and a shirt,it looked ridiculous.
But if he didn't we'd all have seen his Wolf-Nards! :lol:

PS: Its sad that Monster Squad will likely never be released on DVD due to questionable ownership rights. :cry:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Nothing but a little bit of fur can't cure.

But when push comes to shove, they might give them the scooby doo treatment. Nothing showing at all.
Silverfang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silverfang »

Figarou wrote:Nothing but a little bit of fur can't cure.

But when push comes to shove, they might give them the scooby doo treatment. Nothing showing at all.
Yikes... a male werewolf could go crazy not having .. ya know :shock: :P
*When you're down... howl*
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

The naked truth

Post by Scott Gardener »

Clothing serves a protective effect, but it also serves a tremendous cultural purpose. In fact, I put it to you that its primary purpose is cultural; the protective effect is secondary, since we spend so much time indoors in air-conditioned comfort.

I suspect that contemporary laws against public nudity will be some day considered as archaic as we feel about corsets, men with long hair being rebellious, and women being not supposed to wear jeans. In my fiction, I have werewolves going public right before 2013, and around 2020 or so, they challenge the use of public nudity laws--used as an excuse by conservative lycanthro-phobics to arrest and harass werewolves--by wolf-streaking--running in wolf form through high profile public places.

But, since a movie has to be shown to people in this culture, omitting clothes forces the decision either to show "forbidden" anatomy and deal with censorship ratings or to compromise by making the fur conspicuously cover breasts and genitalia. A bit of a rock and hard place.

My personal preference is to aim for realism. It's not like werewolf movies are traditionally G-rated.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ShadowFang »

Yup, werewolves should only wear clothing as a symbol of social status. It depends on the pack and society of the werewolves exactly what those clothes are. If you have a pack who meet on the countryside, you might have more of a tribal look going on with a more feral appearance. However, packs in the hearts of cities might keep their biker gloves, head bands...what have you. They might even prefer to wear ripped jeans (next to nothing at all).

Man, I'm liking Scott more and more with each post I read of his. Welcome to the forums, Scott! Glad to have yet another intelligent mind providing us all feedback for us to digest.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I like the idea off them just being in the fur. They would gain some wolf instincts so their sense of modesty may not be as strong as before. A newbie, proably would try to fit something on. Though they would have to make a tail hole in their pants. Uncomfertable as well, with all their fur with clothing on top.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Vuldari wrote:Not all werewolves would be the type who, as soon as they grow fur, would think, "allright!...FREEDOM...I don't have to wear clothes anymore!...". Don't forget that the weres are human too, and most humans a very modest about the idea of running around stark naked, even if wearing clothes was unbearably uncomfortable.
This is the point I'm going to have to stress. If most people became a werewolf, they would spend less time thinking about how they look and more time wondering how many people are looking. If lycanthropy could work for wolves the same way it works for humans (which I'm starting a thread about so don't discuss it here), you might have a werewolf with no sense of decency, but since the mind was human beforehand, the werewolf mentality would be predominantly human, and therefore would come equipped with (among others) shame. Rippage on the first time would be common, but after a werewolf has busted out of his underpants, the first thing he'll want to think about is how to prevent that from happening again.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Terastas wrote:
Vuldari wrote:Not all werewolves would be the type who, as soon as they grow fur, would think, "allright!...FREEDOM...I don't have to wear clothes anymore!...". Don't forget that the weres are human too, and most humans a very modest about the idea of running around stark naked, even if wearing clothes was unbearably uncomfortable.
This is the point I'm going to have to stress. If most people became a werewolf, they would spend less time thinking about how they look and more time wondering how many people are looking. If lycanthropy could work for wolves the same way it works for humans (which I'm starting a thread about so don't discuss it here), you might have a werewolf with no sense of decency, but since the mind was human beforehand, the werewolf mentality would be predominantly human, and therefore would come equipped with (among others) shame. Rippage on the first time would be common, but after a werewolf has busted out of his underpants, the first thing he'll want to think about is how to prevent that from happening again.
The "underwear" comment here helped me see the NO Clothes viewpoint a little better. I can't imagine that being a pleasant expereince. Leaving ones clothes on durring a shift would definately be a BAD idea. However, I still believe that the Werewolves would retain enough of their human sense of "shame" and "decency" to not be willing to go about completely uncovered.
Both Male and Female Werewolves would almost certainly cover certain arias before going out. Maybe not a Bra and Bluejeans...but something. A baggy shirt...a loincloth,(or Tablecloth for that matter)...whatever.

...he, he...suddenly I have a vision of a werewolf in a kilt in my mind. :lol:
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Agreed.

Of course, there isn't much out there that's both stylish and stretchy. The first thing I thought of was dorm pants, because not only are they stretchy, they could be worn backwards to let the fly suffice as a tailhole. The problem, of course, is that there's no such thing as a pair of dorm and/or maternity pants that can be worn in public. :P

Maybe one of the werewolf sympathists in the movie could be a tailor, not necessarily because he believes in the cause, but because they ensure him a steady line of commissions for extra stretchy sweat pants. :P
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Vuldari wrote:...he, he...suddenly I have a vision of a werewolf in a kilt in my mind. :lol:
Well, there IS a Scottish lycanthrope in the X-Men comics, by name of Rahne Sinclair. Granted, she's a mutant and not a 'true' werewolf, but that's beside the point, I think.

Oh, and sorry, boys, but Rahne is MY b****.

And yes, I meant that in whatever way you choose to read it. :wink: :P
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

ChaosWolf wrote:Well, there IS a Scottish lycanthrope in the X-Men comics, by name of Rahne Sinclair. Granted, she's a mutant and not a 'true' werewolf, but that's beside the point, I think.
Oh yeah...my favorite X-Men character. I forgot she was scottish. :P

I liked the version of her they did for "X-Men; Evolution" .

Just for the heck of it, I decided to look her up again.
www.rahne-sinclair.com

It may not be relevant to the topic, but she is a girl who can shapeshift into a Wolf/Dog...so she is cool.

...back to the topic...rippage would be painful, and experienced shifters would not let it happen, but it sure is fun to watch. :wink: I'd be very dissapointed if there was NO rippage at all in this movie.

=^.^'= ~
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ShadowFang »

rrrrawwrr
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Vuldari wrote:...back to the topic...rippage would be painful, and experienced shifters would not let it happen, but it sure is fun to watch. :wink: I'd be very dissapointed if there was NO rippage at all in this movie.
That would probably be the first transformation scene, or at least the first scene involving a rookie werewolf. Then he'll get his proper clothing. :P
KitsuneKit
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by KitsuneKit »

I think just ripped up blue jeans should do. I mean I'm okay will werewolve in the buff. But the torn clothes on a werewolf give some clue to their human life also I don't think that the movie should show "somethings", if you know want I mean.
KitsuneKit
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by KitsuneKit »

I think just ripped up blue jeans should do. I mean I'm okay will werewolve in the buff. But the torn clothes on a werewolf give some clue to their human life also I don't think that the movie should show "somethings", if you know want I mean.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

To me at least, wearing clothes as a HUMAN is uncomfortable. I can't imagine how it must be to wear them as a wolf! It really does depend on the form mostly, a transformation to full wolf would make it nearly impossible to wear clothes anyway. A half wolf form might be in need of something, but anything more than a lioncloth or a kilt would not only be uncomfortable, it would be impractical. Running through the forest in a big, loose fitting robe thing would end up having it snagged on branches, torn up by the thorns, ect. Tight things made of spandex would be ridiculously hot and uncomfortable. My vote is really for minimal to no clothes.