I'm considering going to the dark side!!!! (Buying a PS3)

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion

Should I get a PS3?

Yes! Sell out and buy a PS3!!!
52%
No! How dare you even think about doing such a thing!!!
48%

Total votes: 21

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Figarou wrote:You should know that prices don't actually come down. What they do is take some of the features away. :roll: Just look at the 40GB PS3.
Er. . . Yeah they do. Inevitably all game console manufacturers have to take a loss on their systems; they just make up for those losses with game sales and licensing.

And even I do lose features. . . Well crap, what do I care as long as it plays the video game? If I'm getting a discount by sacrificing a feature I wouldn't have used anyway, then hey, let them.

I agree with your analogy of the car and the gas though. The problem with that logic is that there will be gas eventually. It's only because I don't know which gas will be the best gas that I'm still holding onto my rainy day fund.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

yeah prices did actually go down for the PS3, from 425 to 399 i believe
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:
Figarou wrote:You should know that prices don't actually come down. What they do is take some of the features away. :roll: Just look at the 40GB PS3.
Er. . . Yeah they do. Inevitably all game console manufacturers have to take a loss on their systems; they just make up for those losses with game sales and licensing.

And even I do lose features. . . Well crap, what do I care as long as it plays the video game? If I'm getting a discount by sacrificing a feature I wouldn't have used anyway, then hey, let them.
How much do you think it'll cost if all it did was play games? :wink:

Probably cheaper than the Wii. :D

Lukas wrote:yeah prices did actually go down for the PS3, from 425 to 399 i believe

Of course it did.

What I was refering to is that to lower it even more.....they take some of the features away.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

How much do you think it'll cost if all it did was play games? Wink

Probably cheaper than the Wii.
Not a chance. This is a company too cheap to include component cables, and worse, too cheap to include the USB cable necessary to use half of their portable console's features.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Confidential
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Confidential »

My lil' bro and me has bought a PlayStation 3 (40GB, black, Japanese imported) since Monday at the price that you guys possibly wouldn't believe. The console alone cost about 15,680 THB ($460). Blu-Ray Game Disc cost varies from 2,000-3,000 THB ($60-$90). I'm starting to think that it's a rip-off. Probably because of the game price (2-3 times more expensive comparing to PC and PS2 games). And the HDMI connector is also sold separately. I think it sounds kinda unreasonable. But at least they did include Wi-Fi and stuff. For 60GB and 80GB, I'm not sure about those. Since the price is neck-breaking and I instantly lose interest in those models.

I hope I'll enjoy upcoming 2008 games, including GTA IV, Burnout Paradise and Devil May Cry 4.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Aki wrote:
you can buy a better PC from that money if you are indeed a hardware-freak
Perhaps if you know a good buddy who knows a even better buddy who knows a guy who can get you the parts REALLY cheap.

PS3 has the best, most reliable hardware of the three. But it's also got crap for games. And You really can't buy a $500 PC that can match a PS3. If you have a decent PC you could likely upgrade it for about that much and match a PS3. But a completely new one? Nah.
Scott Gardener wrote:There is one additional major selling point to the PS3 over the X-Box 360, and that's reliability. The X-Box 360 is prone to suddenly dying. They've even given hardware total failure a name: the "red ring of death." By comparison, the Playstation 3 seems to have an excellent stability track record. Sony got past their disposable Walkman mindset and remembered that they were Sony again. The PS2 for that matter seems to have good staying power, though the original PlayStation from what I read was a bit buggy, sometimes only working if turned sideways or whacked a few times.

I'm a stickler for reliability. I'll spend extra on something to go with a reliable model instead of one at risk of corking off in a few months. I know, with tech gear, I don't have to worry about whether or not an external hard drive will still work ten years from now, because it'll be replaced long before then with something a hundred times more powerful. But, I want things to last as long as my need for them, especially if they're big ticket items. DVD writers--yeah, in two years, I'll be burning BD-Rs instead. Cars, that's a little different.

Game consoles are pricy enough that reliability is an important issue. And, even if you keep your receipts in alphabetized storage bins, there's always downloaded content and saved game settings--which, by the way, you can back up and copy from the PS3 via ordinary USB ports.
Reliability is all well and good.

But if you have, for example, the world's most reliable car in the world, but no gas, what good is it? It's a brick. A reliable brick, but a one-ton brick of metal nonetheless, no?

Same thing for the PS3. There ain't much in the way of good games for it that nothing else has.
Haha, are you kidding? Believe it or not, but both Microsoft and Sony are known to use the same hardware including NVidia GeForce videocard support, so both your and Scott's posts are off.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

When I game, I use the same PC that I use for everything else. The difference is the $99.00 Joystick module that I USb-connect to the machine and let the two gigs of Ram and 200 Gigs of hard drive do their thing, along with the two point five gig processor speed.
About the only trouble comes from the Service: when they get busy, lag time gets slightly noticable.
Heck, I even play Air-Aces online, and nary a bobble. If you stick to good equipment, the rest is easy (except for the high-speed problem above)...sucky Pac Bell.
The one thing that doesn't work well is Second Life; and that's because Linden is still behind in their equipment upgrades...too many people; and lag gets annoying. Plus Linden just doesn't do customer service very well.
Anyway-my vote is for what you got. There'll be something new out that parallels the PS3: there always is. :)
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Figarou wrote:How much do you think it'll cost if all it did was play games? :wink:

Probably cheaper than the Wii. :D
That's what I'm hoping. :D
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Either you buy it, or you just don't. I'd buy the PS3 and probably the other 2 consoles myself, but only if the prices are ripe enough for me to invest money on. I call that "consumer strategy".

So don't go being a fantard, because that's just going to get in your way of thinking. This is coming from a gamertard.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Morkulv wrote: Haha, are you kidding? Believe it or not, but both Microsoft and Sony are known to use the same hardware including NVidia GeForce videocard support, so both your and Scott's posts are off.
Microsoft must've f*** up in the assembly process if so many of it's systems Red-Ring then, no?
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

So Fig, is the Blueray worth all the hype? Do you get a good picture or what?
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

I heard something that I really have to ask about, is it true that Sony doesn't even give you component cables? Because that's ridiculous.

Though I wouldn't put it past them... I had to buy a USB cable for my PSP.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Kaebora wrote:So Fig, is the Blueray worth all the hype? Do you get a good picture or what?

You better believe it!! Thing is....my set does only 1080i. I don't have an LCD that does 1080p. I plan on getting one in the future.
ravaged_warrior wrote:I heard something that I really have to ask about, is it true that Sony doesn't even give you component cables? Because that's ridiculous.

Though I wouldn't put it past them... I had to buy a USB cable for my PSP.

I wouldn't complain because let me tell you what I went through with Nintendo.

When I bought the Nintendo Gamecube when it 1st came out....it didn't have component cables. Guess where you had to buy it? Only at Nintendo's online store. There is no 3rd party component cables that you can buy at a store. Only online. And everytime I checked, it was "out of stock." Those component cables was hard to get. Finally...after several months of waiting...they had some in stock for me to order.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living

Post by Lukas »

Aki wrote:
Morkulv wrote: Haha, are you kidding? Believe it or not, but both Microsoft and Sony are known to use the same hardware including NVidia GeForce videocard support, so both your and Scott's posts are off.
Microsoft must've f*** up in the assembly process if so many of it's systems Red-Ring then, no?
the problem is the 360 has extremely problems of overheating, and models which had the bigger 90mm chip tended get damaged easier then the newer 60mm chip models thus parts get damaged or have to be replaced. thus free repairs
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

There are 3rd party cooling systems you can attach to your 360.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Figarou wrote:When I bought the Nintendo Gamecube when it 1st came out....it didn't have component cables. Guess where you had to buy it? Only at Nintendo's online store. There is no 3rd party component cables that you can buy at a store. Only online. And everytime I checked, it was "out of stock." Those component cables was hard to get. Finally...after several months of waiting...they had some in stock for me to order.
Well, that sucks... But the Gamecube wasn't a high definition game system. Since the PS3 is advertised as being high definition, you'd think they'd give you the cables or something, like Microsoft does. But you're right, at least you don't have to order off of an online store.
-Jack Handey
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Aki wrote:
Both systems f*** up. I had just as many crashes and f***-ups ith XBox (360) as with the PlayStation's.

Anyway, I was trying to make clear that saying that Sony has more trustworthy hardware is bullshit in every way since they mostly use stuff that came from the same factories.

Don't get me wrong here, both systems are good, but the 360 is the better console here and is also better marketed in every way (try getting a PlayStation 3 from the price of a XBox 360, hahaha).
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Its been proven that the PS3 is alot more reliable than the 360, you just had bad luck Morkulv. 360 got branded as the most unreliable system in history. Hardware wise and all it sucks but the features it comes with like the xbox live and achievement points is what makes it good.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

The all new PS3 from Lexus... When the world is ready...

Post by Scott Gardener »

No pretenses of perfection with any system, or for that matter, any company, but the X-Box 360 has had enough problems that they've even given it a name, the "red ring of death."

Microsoft's track record for reliability historically hasn't been stellar. One of the main criticisms of Windows, the product that makes Microsoft such a huge juggernaut, has been the addition of so many features that it compromises stability. I'm not saying this out of bias against Microsoft. (I'm one of the few people I know who actively champion Windows Vista. I have a hard time seeing what all the complaining is about, other than that it's not enough of a leap forward from XP to the average user to justify paying extra for it.) If anything, I should be biased against Sony, who historically has brought us wave after wave of proprietary formats like MiniDisc, Memory Stick, UMD, and not to mention the legendary BetaMax VCR. More recently, they've contributed towards an unending Blu-Ray / HD-DVD format war with mounting casualties and no exit strategy--heck, they and Toshiba are the Bush Administrations of high definition video. That, and let's not forget that fiasco about rootkit-infected CDs. I've just found the Playstation 3 to be a great product.

It may share inards with the X-Box 360 in some respects, but it's not the same. Its hardware gets hot, but it doesn't self-destruct, at least not routinely. Just about every product has one or two lemons. Case in point: look up reviews on some of the most reliable cars on the road--Hondas and Toyotas. You'll find complaints if you look hard enough, even on their luxury lines, Acura and Lexus, respectively. Lexus has sparkling reviews on Consumer Reports, and, other than the rather obvious sticker shock that goes with a $50,000 luxury car, their track record is pretty phenomenal. Yet, I managed to find someone complaining about problems with one. (It was an SC430, a hard-top convertible coupe, and it was one of the user reviews on CNet.) By way of comparison, there are people out there quite loyal to rival brands like Jaguar or Mercedes that have as of late much worse reliability problems. Don't get the wrong idea; they're great cars with lots of cool features, and I don't think very many of us here would complain if given one, except perhaps about the tax consequences. But, if I'm going to splurge $50,000 for a car, seat warmers and leather interiors aside, I will go with the car that is more likely on a day to day basis to start each time I get in it. Likewise, these new generation game consoles are not cheap. Reliability on a $20 doohickey may not be much of an issue, but it becomes an issue when you get into the $400+ range.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

I finally did it!!

As of 6:30 am 12/27/07 Mt. time.

I became an owner of a bran new 80gig PS3.

I'ms ashamed :(
THE GAME

My Armory
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Another Playing B3yond

Post by Scott Gardener »

Yay! Congradulations!

(I'm surprised you didn't say "As of 0630.")

And, you went with the 80 Gig model, too! I endorse that one, not for the hard drive size (you can replace it with any standard SATA laptop 2.5" drive, and I intend to have a 250 Gig PS3 in a month or two), but for its retained software compatibility with the PS2, giving you thousands of additional game titles, including most importantly, Okami. (The older 60 Gig model had an actual, tiny little PS2 inside. None-the-less, even it had some imperfect reverse compatibilities.) It's also got some extra nicities, like built-in Wi-Fi and multiple memory card readers.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Its been proven that the PS3 is alot more reliable than the 360, you just had bad luck Morkulv. 360 got branded as the most unreliable system in history. Hardware wise and all it sucks but the features it comes with like the xbox live and achievement points is what makes it good.
I had bad luck? You can tell that to all my friends, ex-classmates, and relatives then because according to your logic they all had bad luck. I saw a PlayStation crashing multiple times at different people and it also happened to myself numorous times, so saying it was out of bad luck is thus plain ignorant if you ask me. And yes I know the XBox has been getting a lot of criticism, but in truth the XBox is no more less trustworthy then any PlayStation or Sony-product.

And no, I am not a Microsoft-supporter. I am a supporter of quality products. But maybe you could perhaps say I'm actually lucky because I had so few problems with my XBox's?
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Well maybe you have all the defective PS3 in your country because over here its the exact reverse of what you said. I have not heard any PS3 owners had their systems break down around where I live. On top of that your buddies probably got one of the PS3 that came out on the release date, thus making it a buggy like all the systems that newly came out before it.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Saying that every PlayStation over here is a screwup is even less believable then your last argument...

Didn't you get the point? They all screw up at some point. There is no such thing as a perfect console. I'm just trying to say that the XBox's from Microsoft aren't waaaaaaay as bad as some people try and make you believe. Again; I'm no Microsoft-supporter, but I'm giving credit where credit is due, and in terms of originality and improvement I believe the 360 is the winner (improved Live-support, improved controller, HD-support).
Anónimo Juan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anónimo Juan »

I have a 360 and it just failed me like 1 week ago :D But I like it, it has nice games, that's the only thing I feel the PS3 lacks, more games.

Banjo - Threeie ftw! if it ever gets released, of course!