Language!!!

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Language!!!

Post by RedEye »

Please, people: Watch the language you use! We have under-eighteen year-old people on this forum, and what might pass in an adult forum won't pass here.
If you disagree with someone, by all means say so-but say it politely. We can agree to disagree on things and still stay civil.
Deliberate slams, flame attaks, and negative comments about ancestry, habits, or orientation will be pulled and referred to the Administrators for action.
You'll usually get one private warning, one public warning-and if you ignore those-you'll be deleted where necessary.
Everyone has opinions which may be right, wrong, or interesting; but they are not automatically right.
Let's be nice to each other. It makes for a better Forum.
Last edited by RedEye on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

That's a farfin load of bleeb tregs. You friffin darbd bilfersnat!
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Re: Language!!!

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

RedEye wrote:Please, people: Watch the language you use! We have under-eighteen year-old people on this forum, and what might pass in an adult forum won't pass here.
If you disagree with someone, by all means say so-but say it politely. We can agree to disagree on things and still stay civil.
Deliberate slams, flame attaks, and negative comments about ancestry, habits, or orientation will be pulled and referred to the Administrators for action.

The only people who are always right on this Forum are Anthony Brownrigg and Silver. Everyone else has opinions which may be right, wrong, or interesting; but they are not automatically right.
This is treating Brownrigg and Silver solely as Authority Figures and not as people. You should treat them as both. I doubt they would like it if you agreed with everyhting they said just because of their authority or that they are idols.
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

MattSullivan wrote:That's a farfin load of bleeb tregs. You friffin darbd bilfersnat!
Well, it looks like the bibblesnickers are blorting fellishly now! :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Not so sure this should be a sticky here, rather, as a sticky in a more general section. This can apply to the entire forum. Tho personally I'd keep names out of the declarations.

The rules and regulations for this forum are signed by everyone that has a profile. Admins and Moderators have the right to judge a situation based on the Terms of Service. Harassment and lewd language are clearly listed as not allowed, and bannable offenses. We've been very leaniant about how language is used here. Even I have posted some nasty words, but only for humor. Something I will personally try and stop doing.

I would thus like to reword the above post, paste the ToS in a quote, and put it up in the general section for everyone to read again. Things aren't extremely out of hand or anything, but a friendly reminder doesnt hurt. What do yall think?
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I think it will frustrate me one way or the other, because i can't pretend to be a speech sophisticate, like Alan Shore from Boston Legal, all the time.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv

Re: Language!!!

Post by Morkulv »

cumulusprotagonist wrote:
RedEye wrote:Please, people: Watch the language you use! We have under-eighteen year-old people on this forum, and what might pass in an adult forum won't pass here.

The only people who are always right on this Forum are Anthony Brownrigg and Silver. Everyone else has opinions which may be right, wrong, or interesting; but they are not automatically right.
This is treating Brownrigg and Silver solely as Authority Figures and not as people. You should treat them as both. I doubt they would like it if you agreed with everyhting they said just because of their authority or that they are idols.
I completely agree. More and more sense is floating from this forum.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Kaebora wrote:Not so sure this should be a sticky here, rather, as a sticky in a more general section. This can apply to the entire forum. Tho personally I'd keep names out of the declarations.

The rules and regulations for this forum are signed by everyone that has a profile. Admins and Moderators have the right to judge a situation based on the Terms of Service. Harassment and lewd language are clearly listed as not allowed, and bannable offenses. We've been very leaniant about how language is used here. Even I have posted some nasty words, but only for humor. Something I will personally try and stop doing.

I would thus like to reword the above post, paste the ToS in a quote, and put it up in the general section for everyone to read again. Things aren't extremely out of hand or anything, but a friendly reminder doesnt hurt. What do yall think?
He asked me about posting it here Kae an I said he was fine in doing so. He is only trying to help out around here
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Did i say it was a bad idea? It should be reworked a bit regardless. :|

Declareing AB and Silver as never wrong in itself is not true. In regards to the films, they have every say. As members of the forum, they are on the level of any pack member. Even we admins and mods are not above anyone else. We're all just members that listen to the majority rule. If the majority thinks that there are some issues to resolve, then lets take care of it.

Next time why not clue me in on these happenings? I'm on yahoo all the time. :(
-Kaebora
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Kaebora wrote:Did i say it was a bad idea? It should be reworked a bit regardless. :|

Declareing AB and Silver as never wrong in itself is not true. In regards to the films, they have every say. As members of the forum, they are on the level of any pack member. Even we admins and mods are not above anyone else. We're all just members that listen to the majority rule. If the majority thinks that there are some issues to resolve, then lets take care of it.

Next time why not clue me in on these happenings? I'm on yahoo all the time. :(
So am I Kae :P
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Okeez! Do you guys want to reword it, or shall I? Its simply that there is getting to be some pretty strong language here, and that's poison for an open forum like this.
It can divide people up into camps, and lead to bickering with no real content involved. Then everybody leaves and the forum dies.
That's what I don't want to happen.

We need opinions, we need input, we need diverse viewpoints. What we don't need is slamming, flaming, calling names- that sort of stuff.
Just saying "You're stupid" or "You're lying" is not the way to encourage people to bring up new ideas or new viewpoints...but that's what was starting.
So...whaddaya want to do, have me fix it; or do you guys want to do it?
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

For some time now we've locked threads due to debates turning into mud-slinging flame fests. Is it nessesary to ban repeat offenders, dispite how long they have been on the forum? It is rare for that to happen, and it has happened. Just because someone isn't using foul language, doesn't mean they can't be insulting. It more an issue with attitude and manners than it is with swearing.

In my opinion, the most major cause of tension here is how people are unwilling to give in to the opposite side of the conversation, and at least agree to some of what is counter-pointed. Too much pride and teen angst I suppose.

We can reassert the rules in a sticky, but it wont change the fact that arguments DO happen, and can get out of hand with or without foul language.
-Kaebora
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

OK... these are just personal observations, not Serious Suggestions, but if anyone else thinks this is a good idea feel free to appropriate it.

Having had a look at some of those topics you're talking about, before they got bombed, it looks like this is what needs to happen:

* No personal abuse;
* No obscene language.

To which should probably be appended:

* If a mod or an admin tells you you're out of line, then you're out of line. Tone it down.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that topics shouldn't be censored for content, except if the original topic itself is obscene (or illegal for minors to view), but that people who are likely to be offended (and, in particular, people who are likely to stoop to abuse or obscenities themselves) should abstain from participation in any resulting discussion.

Thoughts?
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Well, I've tried Kaebora's chatroom and can't get past the entry screen.

I'll try again later.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Got It: Kae, Joker, and I all have AIM. That will work for a start.
Try me at AIM as Kyllein.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Dag fabble! Smerb!
Caine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Caine »

Clearly, with Matt Sullivan at the helm, this thread is going nowhere--fast!

Ahoy matey! Thar be sharks in the water!
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

MattSullivan wrote:Dag fabble! Smerb!
YOU SPORKING SPORK!
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
Templar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: No Title

Post by Templar »

AWWWWW F@$#% TO HIGH !#$# #@$#$@#$ IN A #@%&ING HANDBASCKET ALL THESE F!#$ING @#$%#@$-SUCKERS SO @$%@ING BENT ON !#$#$ING #@%$%@ $%$^% @% ^&$ %$@#$^& ^&&$%% $@#$#%^&*( &^%$#@$ %#^& &^$%^&(*^%%&^&*((*&^%$##$%%^^&&$#$%^^#^%$%&*((%#@!! #$^&&**(&^$ WITH AN ANCHOVES' %&*%$^& ^$##@!@#$%##!# #@!#$%^& **&(** ^% %** (^% ^&^&** *!#@$ THOSE $#!@%ING PIECESE OF $%$@#ING MONKEY $#@%&$%$$ !#@^ &^^#$$^ @@!##!$!$@^t^#%^$%$%&^&$$%^$% DRYING IN THE #!$ #$^ %&* &)(^%%$ !## #%#$^%%$ !@&&$^*&$ ^*%#@%&*((* SUN!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that was fun. Heheh, I love them lil symbol keys...
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
www.knight-templar.deviantart.com
Kaebora

Post by Kaebora »

Yeah... I guess we've pritty much moved on to PMs and IM discussion between admins/mods now. We'll let yall know what conclusions are drawn, and let everyone discuss on it after the fact for fine tuning.

In legal fact, we can't enforce anything outside of the Terms of Service that everyone signs before joining, so it would seem it's just a matter of reposting that legal statement, and breaking it down.
-Kaebora
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

You daggum sniffersnadz
Templar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: No Title

Post by Templar »

God bess ya Matt, ya slimy aunt-%$@%%^$ fulla !#$^$%-pale rassin'-frassin' varmint!
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
www.knight-templar.deviantart.com
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

Okay. So what you guys are saying that if someone was use to cursing and swearing on this site then they should use other things to replace those words ?? Man, am I conuse.
Am I willing to risk failure in order to succeed? The answer is always YES!!!
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Exactly. Terms of Service say "No profanity, vulgarity, obscenity, or racially-charged (or religiously-charged) words may be used.
There is some discretion here, but the "four-letter words" are a no-no.

In short, write the way you'd like to be written to-as in politely. Say
nothing you'd be ashamed to say in front of someone you respected.
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

Well I think that some people might be offened by this. Because they are sooo use to cursing and swearing outloud and on computers that they may not come back on the site anymore. But of course, I may be use to cursing and swearing outloud and on computers, I am not offended by this at all. I am just pointing it out on another person's point of view.
Am I willing to risk failure in order to succeed? The answer is always YES!!!