A-Kon baby!

General convention type stuff.
bluephoenix
Legendary
Legendary

Post by bluephoenix »

hmm.... i may have seen you at the booth. i went on saturday and sunday. i kept stopping by. i saw someone drawing at the table on sunday (perhaps artman?) and there was a guy talking to abrownrigg sunday i think and he said that he was also and independent film director. i don't know. i probably saw you.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

bluephoenix wrote:hmm.... i may have seen you at the booth. i went on saturday and sunday. i kept stopping by. i saw someone drawing at the table on sunday (perhaps artman?) and there was a guy talking to abrownrigg sunday i think and he said that he was also and independent film director. i don't know. i probably saw you.
The person drawing was Akujiwolf. And yes, you probably did see me. I can't remember if I seen you at the booth. I did see you at the filmmakers panel.
Apharoh
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Enemy of The Gnomes

Post by Apharoh »

i missed that panel. in the words of Vader " NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
*I.Q. drops another 10 points*
gosh darn it now im mustard
"mmmmm mustard sandwiches
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apharoh wrote:i missed that panel. in the words of Vader " NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
*I.Q. drops another 10 points*
gosh darn it now im mustard
"mmmmm mustard sandwiches
I'll say it for you.

"OW---My pride."

:D
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

A-Kon squeezed into a three page essay

Post by Scott Gardener »

Here's my end. It was an extremely busy weekend, as I had a lot of family stuff going on from several directions at the same time.

Thursday: My wife Cathey and I drove up to Fort Worth and spent the night with her mother. She and her husband were holding a garage sale to clear out excess junk from their garage. They were holding it at Cathey's recommendation, and she recommended holding it that weekend so she could ride up with me on my way to A-Kon to go help her. (Though I've been a regular at A-Kon every year, Cathey's not that interested outside of meeting with family and friends, and she feels a bit out of place there. It's one of the only events so far that we don't do together.)

Friday morning: I wake up to a call from someone named "Figarou" asking for my werewolf novel character. I explain to Cathey about the forthcoming meeting with members of The Pack, including the masterminds of Freeborn.

While helping sort through garage sale stuff, I came upon a box of detergent with a free rubber duckie. Though Cathey was instantly charmed and took first dibs, I went on ahead and brought it with me to the convention. After eating breakfast, I drive over, followed by Cathey's son Jason in a seperate car, to Dallas, to the convention. I get the room, get the badge, and give calls to Cathey, my sister, and Figarou. Unable to reach my sister right away, I head straight to the Request Entertainment stand, and there meet Silver, Anthony, Figarou, and Akujiwulf, plus more of ReQuest. I see the trailer, and for one and a half minutes fully understand the harmony of the cosmos and grand unified theory.

Friday afternoon: Most of the afternoon is spent going back and forth among the room, the dealer's room, the ReQuest station, and the like, until opening ceremonies. I wait for an hour and a half, and a lot of chaos happens. At one point I get sent to the back of the line because I was in the wrong line, but when I went back and asked about this, I got allowed to rejoin the wrong line, because I wasn't the only one confused about it. I got in fairly early, but because I had a camera in my pocket and Japanese record labels are as friendly to photography as ours is to peer-to-peer networks, I had to go back out and rejoin at the back of the line, after I got up to the room. Knowing that the room was an elevator ride--which at A-Kon means a 30 minute wait--I left it instead with the concierge desk at the hotel, and then went back. Thankfully, the convention had done a remarkable job making sure the auditorium was big enough to accomodate a lot more than last year (which filled up and left some people out), so I got in, a lot closer than I thought I would. I gave up my closer seat so someone could sit with a friend, so I moved back, ending up...right next to Figarou at his volunteer camera job.

The ceremonies showed off Meri's and her husband's child in a rendition of the stage production of the Lion King. (Meri Hazelwood Clark is the founder of A-Kon, some 16 years ago, when anime fandom in America wasn't even a niche market so much as a cult phenomenon. She's gone from managing a 200 person get-together to managing an event of over 10,000 people. Silver is part of her upper echelon of convention organizers, by the way.)

After the ceremonies, Anthony, Silver, and the ReQuest group took us, and, get this, thanked US. We thanked them, and made it a point to let them know how many of you were also grateful. We talked about how the thing has grown from what would have been yet another B movie to something much more developed, and about the decision ReQuest made to hand over the production to a larger company.

After freeing Figarou from the video station, we talked some more about all kinds of stuff and went out to eat. The only place open was a Chinese restauraunt, and they were out of everything except chicken chow mein and chicken and rice. And, after Silver started to order the chow mein, they were out of that. When I mentioned my vegitarianism and asked for just rice, I almost expected them to say "is OK, we're out of chicken."

Anthony had to go and do stuff, but Silver was up to gaming, but we couldn't find any gaming sessions still going. By this point it was now Saturday morning, and we mutually decided to retire and get some sleep.

Saturday morning: I got up around five am, having trouble sleeping over my roommate's obstructive sleep apnea. I walked over to the truck and picked up a stockpile of food and the duckie. Fig and I both catch on video the now famous duckie toss. After hanging out for a little while, we go over to a panel Brownrigg does on independent film-making.

Saturday afternoon: I spend the afternoon wandering about the convention, alternating among visiting with my sister, watching videos, and revisiting the ReQuest station, seeing the teaser over and over. ("please don't be afraid...") I started getting tired, so I feared that I would not be up to the evening events. (I fell asleep last year during what is A-Kon's prime time.) But, after changing clothes and taking a short nap, my energy levels started getting good again. I expressed wanting to introduce my sister and her husband Michael to Silver and Brownrigg, unaware that Silver and Michael already knew each other through the convention. Michael works security at A-Kon, and has done so since A-Kon III, back in 1992. He in fact met my sister there and is a good friend of Meri Clark, the head of the entire convention. Interestingly enough, I got to be re-introduced to Meri myself while travelling with Silver and Anthony, now giving Meri two different contexts in which to ask herself "where do I know that guy?" I also discovered a pair of wolf eye contacts, which after putting on, discovered that my eyes looked almost the same.

Saturday night: I met with my sister and her husband Michael, who got off work around eight pm. Around that time, we met with some of their friends and visited a group party in one of the upstairs convention suites. After awhile, I decided to go roaming downstairs, and went into the techno-industrial dance. My therianthropy was catching up with me; I discovered that I had more energy when I walked digitigrade. I came upon Silver running a Digital Burn game, but it was almost over already.

Sunday morning: I went to bed a number of hours before my room-mates, but was still up until past one am. After showering, I went to sleep, but again woke up around five. I was in such a stupor that I found the giant mecha anime "Gundam X" emotionally moving. I then got tired, went back to the room, and fell asleep, waking a few hours later.

Sunday afternoon: After eating breakfast with my sister, Michael joined us and we talked about the new Star Wars movie. Then, I left to pick up Cathey, who had travelled from her mother's to her other son Blaine's house. I left the convention for quite awhile, spending most of the afternoon with them, eating a late lunch. I then went back with Cathey.

On arrival back at the convention, before reaching the room, we ran into Silver. I introduced her and Cathey to each other, and she expressed a desire to meet again later. Then Cathey and I ran into Anthony Brownrigg on the way to finish unloading stuff in the room.

Sunday night: Cathey and I joined Alicia and Michael with their friends from Austin, and the group of seven of us ate out at the West End. Cathey was still full from lunch at Olive Garden, but I had room for a crab thing. The Brownriggs were tied up in other events, and I would later learn that it involved politics surrounding the visiting guests from Japan.

Monday morning: My wish was fulfilled, in that Cathey, my sister Alicia and her husband Michael, and Anthony and Silver all converged into the same place and time, eating breakfast at the hotel before heading out. For that matter, Meri Clark and her husband were there as well, along with some guy who appearantly was dissatisfied with the restaurant service. He made a scene, but I can assure you that Brownrigg is a much better in that venue. Once that was over, we enjoyed our harmonic convergence and then scattered into the four winds, travelling home.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Apharoh
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apharoh »

I laugh at the unsatisfied customer. Mwhahahahaha.
ow my mustard brain hurts.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

My therianthropy was catching up with me; I discovered that I had more energy when I walked digitigrade.
Sorry I must point this out, when my therianthropy cathes up on me I become afraid of people, crowds, and tigh spaces. A-kon would of been hell on me for even in a very human mind-set I may of freaked out.

Thanks for the story time both of you! I wish one day to meet you all like that, and especially Fig; he has gifts! I've been planning on somehow giving a gift to Anthony and pals (Shh!!!), infact maybe I'll mail Fig a duckie and tell him to bonk it on his head for me.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Heh, nice stories. 8)

Sounded like i missed a helluva a party. Oh well. :P
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

outwarddoodles wrote:

Thanks for the story time both of you! I wish one day to meet you all like that, and especially Fig; he has gifts! I've been planning on somehow giving a gift to Anthony and pals (Shh!!!), infact maybe I'll mail Fig a duckie and tell him to bonk it on his head for me.
I spent almost $300 on the gifts I gave everyone. :o
Apharoh
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apharoh »

and i spent $15 on a retractable sword... i then stabbed Fig
Apharoh:* finishes sweeping the floor* "Adolph its time for you to mop"
Adolph:"you did a terrible job of sweeping"
Apharoh:"So whats your point"
Adolph:"YOU CANT MOP A DIRTY FLOOR APHAROH!"
Apharoh:"Not with that attitude"
Apharoh
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apharoh »

Hey cool im up to legendary. Yay * runs around in a circle cheering. hits head on wall and passes out for a few hours*
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Yeah, Fig your such a nice friend in that way! :D
bluephoenix
Legendary
Legendary

Post by bluephoenix »

Figarou wrote:
outwarddoodles wrote:

I spent almost $300 on the gifts I gave everyone. :o
and yet, here i am, giftless :(

i'm just kidding. i don't love you any less because i didn't *twitch* get a *twitch* gift. :wink:
PETER:are you going to eat that stapler?

GUY:you can't eat a stapl....

PETER:wanna split it?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

bluephoenix wrote: and yet, here i am, giftless :(

i'm just kidding. i don't love you any less because i didn't *twitch* get a *twitch* gift. :wink:

Love? ??

Ack!!!

*runs away screaming*
Apharoh
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apharoh »

ha ha
Fig and bluepheonix sittin in a tree...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apharoh wrote:ha ha
Fig and bluepheonix sittin in a tree...

Very funny. Ha. ha. So funny, I forgot to laugh. :oops:
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:So funny, I forgot to laugh. :oops:
No, you didn't:
Figarou wrote:Ha. ha.
Silly Figarou, forgetting you didn't forget.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Figarou wrote:So funny, I forgot to laugh. :oops:
No, you didn't:
Figarou wrote:Ha. ha.
Silly Figarou, forgetting you didn't forget.

-- Vilkacis

You to? Here, I have a suprized for you.

outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

I love Fig to. :evil: But ever heard of tough love? *chases after Fig with a club.*
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

outwarddoodles wrote:I love Fig to. :evil: But ever heard of tough love? *chases after Fig with a club.*

Club? as in sandwich? yummy!!! :lol:
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Club? as in sandwich? yummy!!!
Yep! Its a Subway! Eat Flesh, err, Fresh!
Shadowsaber
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Silver shadowsaber the six tailed

Yeah A-Kon was a Blast

Post by Shadowsaber »

I cant wait for Dragon Con after the A-kon sreaming and I really enjoy see every one! look look I'm posting Yeah oh I have pic of my Nintailed Demon Fox up at DA www.shadowsaber.devantart.com

Oh yeah and look out for that Duck Figarou :lol: :D
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Yeah A-Kon was a Blast

Post by Figarou »

Shadowsaber wrote: Oh yeah and look out for that Duck Figarou :lol: :D

I should be telling YOU that!! :lol:
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

is there a legal aga limit to go to A-kon?
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

LoyalReaperDragon wrote:is there a legal aga limit to go to A-kon?

Any age can go to A-kon. But there are certain things within the con thats 18 and over.