Dragonball

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Anónimo Juan
Legendary
Legendary

Dragonball

Post by Anónimo Juan »

If you ever saw the Dragon Ball anime, well this must be....weird for you so I warn you, you'll feel sad/excited/hopeless.

There's a live action movie in production for the Piccolo saga with real actors/actress; Piccolo won't be green (that's what I heard) and the actor who plays Goku won't wear a wig.

Here's its wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonball_%28film%29

It's hard for me to get excited, I was a big fan of the anime when I was younger and it's one of the small list of animes I have seen and that's why I don't feel it'll live to my expectations, I see it as my childhood and it'll be hard to make real something composed of pure crazy fiction moves.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I watched the anime untill the Boo-saga (don't know wich episode or season that was), but in all truth I thought it was going downhill ever since the Namek-saga started. So I think this movie is gonna be pretty horrible.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Anónimo Juan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anónimo Juan »

I liked the Boo saga, GT was when it started going downhill for me.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

They would be better off doing the first saga of the Z series, but overall, Dragonball is not a series that I can see as translating over to live action successfully. There have been rumors of a DBZ movie for years now, but no progress.
Wikipedia wrote:In adapting the Dragon Ball manga, the futuristic cities were kept, but the anthropomorphic talking animals were dropped.
Whaaaat?! No talking dog as the mayor? Oolong wont be a talking pig?!?! Damn them. Oh well, no extremely major characters were anthros, so I guess its ok. Who will the comic releif fall on now?
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Anónimo Juan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anónimo Juan »

I think it's more like a child anime so it is not very elaborate, I used to watched it when I was a kid and indeed some episodes were boring but, I just kept watching it. lck cartoons are like addiction at that age ya'know.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

Curious how they are going to make this look.

Dragonball Z could have been cut in half with the same story lines, they perfected the art of padding and dragging.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

So, express your displeasure by not seeing it, and buying the DBZ anime. That'll show them :P
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Why? The anime already sucks to begin with. And for those who think I'm wrong have never read or seen much anime/manga besides this or Pokemon. Even Naruto is better then this, or today's popular fake-anime Avatar.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

A lot of people LIKE Dragonball. That's why it's sold millions of manga books and vhs/dvd. Its ratings were stellar on Cartoon Network.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Morkulv wrote:I hated it, especially because I was starting to see a clear pattern between every saga.
*nods* The original Dragonball had some level of appeal to me, but I never understood what the point of DBZ was. They all had pretty much the same storyline in basic:

1] Villain appears.
2] Goku battles villain to a draw.
3] Goku gets stronger.
4] Villain gets stronger.
5] Goku gets even stronger.
6] Villain gets even stronger.
7] Villain blows up the Earth.
8] Goku blows up the Villain.
9] Goku uses the Dragon Balls to restore everything back to normal.
:P I smell another Double Dragon movie.
Templar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: No Title

Post by Templar »

Is this the one with guys with tails that fly and shoot energy beam out of their hands? Looks like it will be another film that borrows too much from the Matrix....

When oh when are they gonna make a live-action version of Hellsing, the one anime I've seen that looks like it could work in the US?
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
www.knight-templar.deviantart.com
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Templar wrote:When oh when are they gonna make a live-action version of Hellsing, the one anime I've seen that looks like it could work in the US?
YES!!! Great minds think alike! :D

Still, the secondary villain is the Vatican, and the primary villain is the Nazi Millennium Group, so right off the bat it's guaranteed to attract major fanfare from the Christian Reich and assured to be banned from German theaters. That's probably why nobody wants to touch it; the only thing guaranteed is the risk involved. :P
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

MattSullivan wrote:A lot of people LIKE Dragonball. That's why it's sold millions of manga books and vhs/dvd. Its ratings were stellar on Cartoon Network.
Ofcourse it was hyped, but that doesn't make it good. My point was that there are a lot more (and way better) anime/manga's out there besides this who give more storydepth and actual information about the techniques and attacks that are used throughout the show.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

MattSullivan wrote:A lot of people LIKE Dragonball. That's why it's sold millions of manga books and vhs/dvd. Its ratings were stellar on Cartoon Network.
Before I got into film, I really liked the series. I followed it all through Dragonball and Dragonball Z. After I reached the Buu saga, I was left yawning. Heh, most of the Namek episodes took WAY too long for events to unfold. If they shortened things more, Z would be a smash hit for me. Dragonball was the best series, and perhaps the first saga in DBZ. Everything else needed a trash compactor to get all the plotlines less stretched.

Considering that american film companies are at the helm with this one, I know for a fact that the plot will be compressed into no more than two hours of movie time. This is why the DBZ movies are often better than the regular series. You get straight to the action faster.

Take the special effects of The Matrix Revolutions ending fight scene, and insert the characters of DBZ. Then we have a winner.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
CyberWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CyberWolf »