Attitude Regarding the Change

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Dr. T

Attitude Regarding the Change

Post by Dr. T »

I think transformation scenes are the best when the character doesn't "embrace" the change and can't control it. Sort of like in American Werewolf in London. He didn't want the change and struggled against it. That is far more interesting to a story than when they can control the change. There's more of an element of suspense when the character doesn't know when the change is going to occur.

It's also best when the animal takes over their mentality, rather than being a human brain in werewolf form.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I also feel that the struggle is important. A story about some one who can transform...sometimes...when they feel like it...and it isn't disturbing or painful to them at all...just doesn't say "Suspense, Thriller" to me. Regardless of the original nature of the Werewolf condition,( whatever they make that out to be), I think there should always be some sort of danger or struggle involved with the transformation, even when the protagonist WANTS the change to take place.
Perhaps some "consequences" should follow a transformation. Such as, the person feeling sick, weak or even in Near-Death condition once they are forced to return to human form...at least for some period of time.
...but ,yes, the Struggle is key.
SnowWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Suck it up, cupcake

Post by SnowWalker »

I feel the exact same way. I've always appreciated when they struggled against it. I wish I had something else inteligent to say in this post, but alas I do not.

~Snowy
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Well, I consider this a matter of personality and experience.

It makes sense that a person whom is reletivly new to werewolfism is going to have trouble coping with the life changes. It also makes sense that a person new to it is going to likely experience pain during the transformation.

However, somebody whom is accustomed to all this, would probably cope much better. The simple fact of the matter is that humans are extremly adaptive creatures, and I see no reason for werewolves not to be.

This doesn't mean we don't have to have a struggle, it simply means that the logical focus would be on somebody whom is new to Werewolfdom. Somebody whom is going to struggle against his "curse" and doesn't know how to cope with things.

I would concede that it's very concievable that a werewolf would likely feel something that felt like coming down from a drug induced high upon returning from human form. Plus, unless the werewolf really stuffed itself before transforming back to human, that werewolf would need to spend quite a bit of time replenishing the calories they would lose during the transformation.

So, I'd imagine that werewolf would be spending quite a bit of time downing all sorts of food in a no holds bar glut-fest. ;)

Post by Guest »

I know I'm in the minority here, but I feel a better TF scene would involve a werewolf who has control over the change, especially one who is an experienced shapeshifter. Like the famous scene in the "Howling," it's simply sexier and scarier when you see someone trigger their dark side to change into the wolf. These powerful creatures should have dominion over their dual natures, although I agree the TF should be painful--but maybe painful in a good way, like a strong orgasm or something. For example, if there's a scene where a werewolf has to rescue someone or defend a friend/lover or simply fight in a battle, he or she could "summon" the powers of the Change, even if there isn't a full moon. This would give the story and writing more flexibility, as well as have more interesting and powerful characters.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

I also feel that it would be cooler if experienced Weres had the capacity to "summon" the change at any time, besides just full moons or at night.

However, moments where even strong willed Werewolves loose controll of the change seems not only likely but just a good plot element. ( If transformation is a natural bodily function, then I would assume that it can "twitch" like any mucle when they are startled, aggrivated or hurt.)
Sporty Fox
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Sporty Fox »

I like the idea of the WW learning to control the change as they experience it more and more. After someone has "suffered" from being a WW and gone thru the TF enough times they could learn to initiate the process at will. But that doesn't mean that they no longer feel the agony of thier body going thru the process, sort of a is it worth the agony to TF right now delima.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

But that doesn't mean that they no longer feel the agony of thier body going thru the process, sort of a is it worth the agony to TF right now delima.
(director puts his finger on his nose) You betcha! And just as various folks have diffferent pain threshholds, and some even LIKE pain.. the same attributes would apply to a TF.

Anthony Brownrigg
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

ABrownrigg wrote:
But that doesn't mean that they no longer feel the agony of thier body going thru the process, sort of a is it worth the agony to TF right now delima.
(director puts his finger on his nose) You betcha! And just as various folks have diffferent pain threshholds, and some even LIKE pain.. the same attributes would apply to a TF.

Anthony Brownrigg
I never could understand the minds of masochists...
*keg of beer drops on guy's foot*
"Mmmmmmm... That hit the spot."
*guy opens letter from IRS concerning a surprise audit*
"Oh baby..."
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Mmm.. I would say that the attitude would differ a bit from person to person. However, the most stable werewolves would probably be those whom are constantly making a conscious struggle against thier beastial nature.

Well, that may not be a good way of putting it, so I guess I'll clarify.

The ones whom revel in it and whom are essentially taken by thier beastial nature, probably handle the change a bit more easily, however, the combination of a wolves beastial nature, human intellect, and the human love of power, would probably make for a real monster.

Think of it this way, take the worst aspects of wolves, and humans, and throw them together, and you'd probably get a werewolf that's completly lost itself to the power and freedom of thier new form.

On the other hand, a werewolf whom struggles to keep his beastial nature intact, and whom is consciously making an effort not to succumb to his own newly found power, would probably be a werewolf that's fairly stable and humane.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

ABrownrigg wrote:

Anthony Brownrigg
That's the right Idea. Even if you are used to it and even like it to some extent, it still hurts. I mean...how could it not?! :?
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

The first couple shifts would hurt like hell and the one transforming would most likely be freaking out. They would proably think of it as unnatural. But the more times one transform, the less painful it seems. It would still hurt, but like already said, some would enjoy the pain. Transforming would seem more of a natural thing to an experinced werewolf.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Nice, I can hear it now. Surround sound of bones cracking, clothes tearing, and flesh stretching.

hmm...how does flesh stretching sounds like?

*pulls on skin*

Ow!!! No sound, but it hurts. :P
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Flesh stretching would probably sound very much like the sound of tearing apart raw chicken meat. But slightly louder.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

I hope they don't get carried away in the sound department. some sound effects is ok during the transformation. i just don't want it sounding like a tree falling in the forest.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:I hope they don't get carried away in the sound department. some sound effects is ok during the transformation. i just don't want it sounding like a tree falling in the forest.
I now have this horrible horrible horrible mental image of a guy turning into a werewolf, and he shouts "TIMBER" as the crotch of his pants is exploding. Excuse me whilst I go stick my head in a toilet and flush repeatedly.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Figarou wrote:I hope they don't get carried away in the sound department. some sound effects is ok during the transformation. i just don't want it sounding like a tree falling in the forest.
I now have this horrible horrible horrible mental image of a guy turning into a werewolf, and he shouts "TIMBER" as the crotch of his pants is exploding. Excuse me whilst I go stick my head in a toilet and flush repeatedly.

LOL!!! Must be a Timberwolf. :lol:
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Oh gadzooks....

The mental image......

IT BURNS!

*falls to the floor, wailing in pain.*
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

WolvenOne wrote:Oh gadzooks....

The mental image......

IT BURNS!

*falls to the floor, wailing in pain.*
You should be thankful I never steered this conversation towards internal parasites.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

What about internal parasites?

They're real friendly types, you know, salt of the earth folks, well, salt of my gut anyway. ;)

In all seriousness, I just cannot visualize internal parasites, I just don't know what they look like. Nor do I really want to find out.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

WolvenOne wrote:What about internal parasites?

They're real friendly types, you know, salt of the earth folks, well, salt of my gut anyway. ;)

In all seriousness, I just cannot visualize internal parasites, I just don't know what they look like. Nor do I really want to find out.

The external ones are Lunaticks. :wink:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:The external ones are Lunaticks. :wink:
Wold someone please let this joke Die?... :?
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
awwww.......ok. I say no more.

But I bet someone else will.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:
Vuldari wrote:
awwww.......ok. I say no more.

But I bet someone else will.
Yes, I think it's about run it's course.
Who would get the joke when you mention "lunafleas" or "lunalice"?
WolvenOne wrote:What about internal parasites?

Ever hear of two little critters by the names of Toxocara and Echinococcus?
(They be "Heartworm" and "Dog Tapeworm" respectively...)
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Attitude Regarding the Change

Post by NightmareHero »

Dr. T wrote:I think transformation scenes are the best when the character doesn't "embrace" the change and can't control it. Sort of like in American Werewolf in London. He didn't want the change and struggled against it. That is far more interesting to a story than when they can control the change. There's more of an element of suspense when the character doesn't know when the change is going to occur.

It's also best when the animal takes over their mentality, rather than being a human brain in werewolf form.
In some instance that would work, for a wolf cub who is not experienced or old enough to control his change, then yes. But I favor a controlled one. And for a change I'd like the werewolves to not all be feral in their transformed states.