were-wolf vs were-dog

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

were-wolf vs were-dog

Post by Rhuen »

okay moving aside the comedies with their were-poodals (which make no sense at all as those fancy groomings make this once upon a time bird hunting breed look silly)

what do you feel the following differences would be like between them?

the physical differences between a were-wolf and a were-dog?

behavioral differences?

abilites?

reactions to people?

ect...
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Depends on the dog, of course, which can determine both temperament and appearance. Dogs have wildly differing personalities... some weredogs (and I'll assume we're talking about ones with more animal mind than human,) might actually be more dangerous than werewolves, since some dog breeds were developed to be more aggressive, and wolves are well... not. Either way, I don't think there would be a gigantic difference in behavior, since both wolves and dogs are social, pack-oriented carnivores. Despite the fact that dogs have evolved a certain genetic memory to be more accepting of human beings, I think a weredog's reaction towards human beings would be better determined by the amount of human instinct remaining in him.

As for appearance... if we take the gray wolf as the standard against which all domestic dogs should be measured, then a were-dog's size should be proportionate, with were-huskies being approximately similar, and were-chihuahuas being diminutive. :P
LightPaws
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The 1st Alchemy using WerePomeranian evAr!

Post by LightPaws »

Well, I honestly think it depends on the individual and what dog breed they represent.

Physical differences? Well, a weredog would probably look like a demonic version of Fluffy, depending how you like your weres

In my mind, Werewolves will generally be larger than weredogs, with some exceptions(like those huge Great Danes and certain hounds)

In their relations to humans, it'd probably be the same as all werebeast's, which is most likely: 'They're fine as long as we aren't discovered, if they attack, i'll have their guts for garters'.

relation to werewolves may also depend on the individual. In my book, i have two were-dalmation twins who are close friends with the wolfy main characters, while the badguys send out a Were-borzoi to kill them off!

If they went on a head to head fight, well it's sort of like a pirate versus ninja kind of thing.
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

Well, we've agreed that werewolf behavior is a mix between wolf and human behaviors. So, assuming that the human behavior remains unchanged, you'd have the difference between a wolf and a dog. These differences are many, but I don't have the energy to type them now. Maybe tomorrow :sleepy:
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Kelpten wrote:Well, we've agreed that werewolf behavior is a mix between wolf and human behaviors. So, assuming that the human behavior remains unchanged, you'd have the difference between a wolf and a dog. These differences are many, but I don't have the energy to type them now. Maybe tomorrow :sleepy:
Probably like a Presidential candidate...(the dog-were', that is)
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Id imagine that certain breeds of dogs would be more dangerous than a wolf. For example; a pit bull able to bite with tremendous force and having the ability to lock its jaw up would be a very deadly against a werewolf.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

I'd be more afraid of one of those yappy little dogs...imagine one of those grwn up to human size...and not realizing it.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

RedEye wrote:I'd be more afraid of one of those yappy little dogs...imagine one of those grwn up to human size...and not realizing it.
I imagine a small pug or similar dog human size and shape may look a little like King Seesar. only alot shorter and more hairy than scaley.

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Well. . . One possibility is that werewolves, dogs etc. are actually the same thing, but we regard them as being different because of their appearance. In one of the story concepts I'm working on, for example, "dog" is just a slang term for a werewolf that doesn't look very threatening. After all, we use the term "werewolf" because all we know is that they have a resemblance to wolves; that doesn't necessarily mean they are related to wolves, right?
Ansuru
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ansuru »

I pitty the poor fool who gets bit by a were-poodle. :thpt2:
The wind whipping past my face...
The underbrush combing through my fur...
The earth flying beneath my paws...
Am I alive?
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Ansuru wrote:I pitty the poor fool who gets bit by a were-poodle. :thpt2:
Worse yet: a toy Chihuaha! :lol:
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Ansuru wrote:I pitty the poor fool who gets bit by a were-poodle. :thpt2:
its actually a bird hunting dog originally. granted its fur is kinda fluffy. and the original poodle lacked even that until they started breeding them for those stupid fluffy tufts and we ended up with a bird retriever buried under sheep looking wooly fur.

the toy poodle though what most think of when they hear "poodle".