How should Werewolves Be?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Re: How should Werewolves Be?

Post by Celestialwolf »

Lukoi wrote:Screw this, im not gonna explain the details of its looks, here, just look at this site, it will give u the idea of what i meen.
http://www.emryswolf.summerdragoness.co ... allery.htm
Wow! I can't believe I stumbled upon this thread so late! Thanks for that link, I remeber seeing that artist months and months ago, but never had the link to visit their site again!

Also, as for posting an image of how I think a werewolf should look, Here's one for me:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/ ... rewolf.jpg

I love this picture. It's my all-time favorite.
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

Did we ever address if weres in gestalt form sweat or pant or both?
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I don't think so.

I'd hope they would pant, sweat + fur = eww...
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Short Tail »

yeah they would always smell like wet dog. phew
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Petard wrote:yeah they would always smell like wet dog. phew
More like armpit smell. All over your body. (They smell 'cuase of the amonia in the sweat clinging to the hairs, thus if you sweat all over...well...You have the worse B.O. on the block bud.)
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Aki wrote:More like armpit smell. All over your body. (They smell 'cuase of the amonia in the sweat clinging to the hairs, thus if you sweat all over...well...You have the worse B.O. on the block bud.)
Not to mention that it wouldn't really work very well for heat dissipation since all the sweat would be trapped in the fur, and not evaporating like it's supposed to.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Short Tail »

I was always taught that the smell was a byproduct if the bacteria that fed on the salt and their byproduct was the smell. either way if they did sweat, a werewolf wouldnt be able to wear deodorant because of how strong it smells (and that is from a human perspectave including the "unscented") Furthermore would it be offensive to an their noses? since they along with alot of other animals identify idividuals by their personal smell. I did hear somewhere however that humans evolved their strong B.O. as a defence mechanism and due to that are the only animals that need to bathe.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I would compare use of deodorant to wearing a brightly and obnoxiously colored T-shirt. The underlying person is still identifiable. A truely bad ammonia smell would be on the order of smelling salts or unflushed toilets.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Lazywolf wrote:
Lukoi wrote:Screw this, im not gonna explain the details of its looks, here, just look at this site, it will give u the idea of what i meen.
Wow! I can't believe I stumbled upon this thread so late! Thanks for that link, I remeber seeing that artist months and months ago, but never had the link to visit their site again!

Also, as for posting an image of how I think a werewolf should look, Here's one for me:

It really is a great character.

But not the right image of how a werewolf should look, IMO.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Ultraken
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ultraken »

Morkulv wrote:It really is a great character.

I think that'd be fine for a werewolf in a happy, lazy mood. Wolves can look cute when they want to. :D
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Morkulv wrote:
Lazywolf wrote:

It really is a great character.

I used to disagree with you about this picture, but now I think I'm leaning towards agreeing with you.

Though I think the anatomy is fantastic overall, there's something about this picture that just doesn't make it seem like a werewolf. I think it's the attitude.

Maybe if he was to jump up and growl and snarl a bit, he'd look more werewolfish. I'd also make a few changes to his face. I don't want any human in the face, but I don't want it to look entirely wolven either. The only way I can really describe what I want in a werewolf's head is that I want sort of an advanced wolf.

Maybe if I make an analogy, it will help.

The head of a chihuahua is to the head of a wolf as the head of a wolf is to the head of a werewolf.

.....grr....that still doesn't really express what I want. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to revert to saying that I want werewolves with 'uber-wolf' faces. Bleh. :P Ultimately, I want werewolves with heads that look somehow way more canine and fierce than that of wolves. Not necessarily scary to behold at all times, but at least intimidating. Unlike lazy wolf up there.

Edit: Maybe something like Goldie's Kierrn, in Interrupted or I Eat You! Still very wolfish, but somehow more wolfish than a wolf.
Ultraken
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ultraken »

Attitude is important, of course, but werewolves can have different moods and different personalities. And from what I can tell, there are very few human elements to the head aside from the way it attaches to the body. Of course, Goldie seems to have deliberately portrayed him as unthreatening and friendly at the moment. There is an important disinction between capability and intent...

I think the best way I can describe this is that particular werewolf character seems like a "civilian", as opposed to the aggressive "warrior" type more often portrayed. I figure he just lives his life doing whatever it is he does, and doesn't go looking for trouble. He looks like he could fight back reasonably well if threatened, but not as well as a hardened fighter.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Ultraken wrote:There is an important disinction between capability and intent...

Yep, just because something doesn't look fierce right now, doesn't mean that it can't look fierce.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Part of what makes the thought of werewolves as I see them intimidating is that they aren't vicious monsters all the time. You know they can be; that part is a given. If you're used to seeing Hollywood crap monsters, then it might even take a moment of looking at a live werewolf to realize what it is. The experience would be very unsettling and disorienting, throwing off kilter your sense of reality.

A werewolf with a casual, neutral expression and soul-ful wolf eyes can be very intimidating. You then get two moments to wet yourself--first, when you see one for the first time, and a second time, when you do see one angry, and realize that everything you thought about werewolves before was not completely without merit.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Oooh Scott's comment really gets me thinking. :D
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

Yeah, me too.
Leighlia
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Stalking the Shadows

Post by Leighlia »

Has ther been any discussion here about the supposed werewolf rage and where it stems from? You know...wolf vs. human....Or are we all agreeing that it just doesn't happen the way we've all been lead to believe it does?

Yes, I know that question falls in the relms of the old hollywood version of the wolf that's been shoved on us for years, but I thought I saw something of a discussion on it here and now I can't find it. If I'm dreaming having seen it, which is likely here lately, is it thread worthy?
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Ultraken wrote:And from what I can tell, there are very few human elements to the head aside from the way it attaches to the body.

I didn't mean that this particular drawing had human elements. I was actually referring to some other werewolf artists who attempt to blend human and wolf anatomy for the head and end up with a butt-ugly disaster.
Ultraken
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ultraken »

Excelsia wrote:I didn't mean that this particular drawing had human elements. I was actually referring to some other werewolf artists who attempt to blend human and wolf anatomy for the head and end up with a butt-ugly disaster.
Oh. Fair enough, then. :D