How should Werewolves Be?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

Well I think a werewolf should look like my drawing:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/18795256/ - I have a couple others if you want to look.

They should look like a WEREWOLF, not a werecat, rat, bat, hat, duck whatever :D . I think their feet should look a little more human then a normal pawed foot.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Shadowblaze wrote:yeah. the morrowind/bloodmoon werewolf also had amazing legs- somethign about jumping 100 feet ibnto the air and landing and not dying...

the mw werewolf is the first one i started drawing. it's also what i based my early drawings on. but the hunchie-ness was quite annoying.
Yeah, the MW Werewolf jumped like a freaking frog. Its crazy.

Useful though, esspecially with the style of fighting a Werewolf in MW has. The jump allowed for a quick escape. 'Course, NPCs had this bug where if the play, no matter what he had/was, jumped above them in combat, they'd spaz out and run away. :lol:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Aki wrote:...Yeah, the MW Werewolf jumped like a freaking frog. Its crazy.

Useful though, esspecially with the style of fighting a Werewolf in MW has. The jump allowed for a quick escape. 'Course, NPCs had this bug where if the play, no matter what he had/was, jumped above them in combat, they'd spaz out and run away. :lol:
Really?...

I've never tried that. I'll have to test that "NPC's will run away if you jump over thier head" theory. The funny thing is, the way I play the game, I allways build up my character to be a super-jumper (without cheating even).

What I do is...whenever I am traveling across country from one location to another, I never Walk...I'm usually Running everywhere, (It builds up stamina quickly), and very often "hopping" for miles and miles (That earns both stamina AND Agility points), from town to town, untill I have such high AGILITY that I just jump OVER Fences, Gaps and Monsters in my way, rather than bother trying to go around them.

...BOING!... Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Lucifer
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Lucifer »

Well in my opinion he/she should be intimidating

Lucifer
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Yeah, me too. i NEVER walk anywhere. i bounce maniacally. :lol:
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Intimidating, but beautiful. A healthy person looks beautiful. A healthy wolf looks beautiful. There's no reason a healthy werewolf has to look butt-ugly.

There should be this alluring bipolar quality, in which you at once want to go in for a closer look and run for your life. There should be this noble quality, blatantly absent in nearly all movie werewolves to date, but present in real wolves. Do that, and intimidation should come naturally. I think people would be more intimidated by a werewolf if it were beautiful, because the sense of panic would be tempered with the confusing alternate emotion of fascination.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Lucifer
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Lucifer »

Have you ever heard of beauty and the beast? Id rather be the beast. Besides I've had more women tell me how sexy this character is. I think the werewolves in Dog Soldiers were alot like what you just described.
The heads loooked like a modern wolf and the bodies were more human.
My favorite werewolf was the one in Bad Moon I would just like to see it in black fur.

Lucifer
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Scott Gardener wrote:Intimidating, but beautiful. A healthy person looks beautiful. A healthy wolf looks beautiful. There's no reason a healthy werewolf has to look butt-ugly.

There should be this alluring bipolar quality, in which you at once want to go in for a closer look and run for your life. There should be this noble quality, blatantly absent in nearly all movie werewolves to date, but present in real wolves. Do that, and intimidation should come naturally. I think people would be more intimidated by a werewolf if it were beautiful, because the sense of panic would be tempered with the confusing alternate emotion of fascination.
"It is the crulest trick of hell lthat demons should be so magnificent"
~Jocelyn-human, His Segrant's Honor, Man-Kzin wars IX

thought it was appropirate...[/quote]
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Scott Gardener wrote:Intimidating, but beautiful. A healthy person looks beautiful. A healthy wolf looks beautiful. There's no reason a healthy werewolf has to look butt-ugly.

Of course, the problem is, that the movie makers want to scare you when they show you a werewolf.
What better way to scare you than to show you something that's horrible and ugly, ja?
A tragically overused, yet understated axiom, alas.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote: Of course, the problem is, that the movie makers want to scare you when they show you a werewolf.
What better way to scare you than to show you something that's horrible and ugly, ja?

You can have a perfectly normal human in a movie. Loving, caring, ETC. But he turns out to be a vicious killer at the end. Why not add that element of suprize to a werewolf?

The werewolf may look tame and beautiful. But if need be, it can be as vicious as an ugly one!!
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote: You can have a perfectly normal human in a movie. Loving, caring, ETC. But he turns out to be a vicious killer at the end. Why not add that element of suprize to a werewolf?

The werewolf may look tame and beautiful. But if need be, it can be as vicious as an ugly one!!
Tragically, it's cheaper to make a werewolf that's ugly all the time.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Apokryltaros wrote:

Of course, the problem is, that the movie makers want to scare you when they show you a werewolf.
Of course, they totally overlook how scary a Wolf can look when pissed off. :P
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Aki wrote: Of course, they totally overlook how scary a Wolf can look when pissed off. :P
It's not that the 'wolf is pissed off, it's that it's like, how a man would react if he was stricken with PMS for the rest of his life.
-Calculon
IblisPendragon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ekte norsk varulv

Post by IblisPendragon »

I think the werewolves shoild have bare torsos, with a line of fur following their protruding spine which ends in a tail. Their legs are hairy of course, and their knees are bent the wrong way. They should be bulky, muscular and very intimidating. Yellow eyes of course, sharp teeth, a bit yellow, with chunks of meat between them, clawed hands or more handlike paws,since they have arms and not forelegs..The skin on their torsos should be leathery, and if they're old, cracked and with warts..hehe..Bad breath goes without saying..and a terrifying guttural voice...beautiful..hehe :shift:
.? That is the problem with you mortals, you die too easily. You hardly fight back. A couple of pitiful screams and a little squirming and you are done. I can hardly call it satisfactory."

What's the point? They got their Keanu Reeves now...
hydrocarbon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Random passerby

Post by hydrocarbon »

IblisPendragon wrote:...and their knees are bent the wrong way.
Why? No mammal, bird, or reptile (that I know of) has knees that bend backwards, wolves included.
IblisPendragon wrote:They should be bulky, muscular and very intimidating.
But I do like your direction here :lol: They're an unnatural creature, so they'd make your hairs stand on end, hehe.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

I think he's thinking of the digitigrade versus plantigrade stances. The ankle might be his "knee bent backwards." He might be doing what I did back in the late 80s--pushing the actual knee up near the pelvis, keeping a short femur and long tibia and fibula, thus exaggerating the plantigrade to the point of generating a new kind of posture.

The only problem with that is that it either makes one short and squatty-looking, or requires having metatarsals that are longer than either human or wolf.

Easier to follow the "consensus" digitigrade template, and it looks more elegant to boot.
IblisPendragon
Legendary
Legendary

Post by IblisPendragon »

I didn't actually mean for the knee to be bent backwards, it's hard to explain without a picture really..but not a normal straight human-leg, if you get my drift..hehe....and tall, I've always pictured them taller than humans..dunno why..
.? That is the problem with you mortals, you die too easily. You hardly fight back. A couple of pitiful screams and a little squirming and you are done. I can hardly call it satisfactory."

Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

IblisPendragon wrote:I didn't actually mean for the knee to be bent backwards, it's hard to explain without a picture really..but not a normal straight human-leg, if you get my drift..hehe....and tall, I've always pictured them taller than humans..dunno why..
Actually theres very little difference between a Wolf and human leg.

Stand on your tip-toes, and bend your knees some. Viola, wolf-leg. Thats a digitgrade pose, walking on your toes.

Wolves just have a longer 'foot'.
IblisPendragon
Legendary
Legendary

Post by IblisPendragon »

find then..a longer foot..as long as it looks unnatural to humans..

Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

i think that werewolves should be at least 7 ft tall. walk up right like a human but walks on wolf like hind legs and sterong enof to easily rip a door of its hinges fast enof to make a drag racer jelous . males should be muscle bound ragging bags of testosterone and females should be well muscled but still have sexy figures
THE GAME

My Armory
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Werewolves being very tall isn't quite going to happen, yeah, I'll bet 'cha they'll be taller but never 20 ft. Their strength will depend on their human strength (yet may naturally be healtheir.). and we females don't need sexy figures when we're busy pulling door's of their hinges!
:)
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

outwarddoodles wrote:and we females don't need sexy figures when we're busy pulling door's of their hinges!
:roflmao:

-- Vilkacis
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Personally I'm for a "as realistic as possible," design, mainly because, as you all know, real wolves can be cute, pretty or scary depending on thier age and mood. I'm assuming that if you build them realistically enough they'll have a similer range of looks.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

The Neuri attending Christmas mass

Post by Scott Gardener »

The digitigrade stance will add a little height, but seven feet or more implies a gained mass, unless you do a thin and lanky look, and none of us want a repeat of Azkaban.

And, if you start changing mass, you're diddling with fundamental physics in such a way as to make our virus debate obsolete. If you can gain and loose mass, you're screwing with the basic laws of the universe, and that takes more than rewriting DNA.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Unfortunetly, there's no real way to get around a transformation without adding mass or taking it from elsewhere. I mean, where the heck is this muzzle or tail come from? It's not as if humans have a few pounds of extra bones hanging around thier body just incase they grow some new limbs.

Fur and some other aspects of the change can be accomplished without breaking this rule of course, but once you get to bones it starts becoming difficult.

and no shrinking down the size of the werewolf slightly to accomadate the new bones wouldn't work because all the internal organs would need to shrink as well. If you're going the sci-fi route you would simply need to fudge it, though this isn't a problem if you're relying on magic or seemingly magic technalogy.