How should Werewolves Be?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Morkulv wrote:
Vuldari wrote:
Morkulv wrote:Full wolves aren't werewolves.
That is a matter of opinion and perspective. If it is a man who can become a full wolf and back to a man again, what is it, if it is not a werewolf?

...of course it is a werewolf...just a different kind.

The "gestalt" form we are all so fond of is really just an "Anthropomorphic" wolf shape.
But 'were' means 'man'. So it has to contain some kind of human element, right?
...uh...yeah...

The wolf is actually a man. It is a creature that is sometimes Man...sometimes WOLF.

...Man...Wolf...Man...Wolf... "Werewolf"
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Werewolf.
Werewolf?
No. There wolf: There, castle.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Fel
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Fel »

The anthro vision of the werewolf is relatively new, and was designed to be a thriller of sorts. Example:In early movies and books, what is more likely to inspire fear,

A humanoid werewolf monster, or a full wolf?

What makes the werewolf today so fearful to most people is the fact that they contain a human element mixed with the animal. Before the 1900's, werewolves were men that could p-shift into a pure wolf body, and still retain some or all of their human MIND. In documented cases in medevil Europe of werewolf cases, there is nothing saying that the werewolves were Anthros. The were all full wolf in their shift. What im saying is that the humanish figure is nothing more than a thriller, and is usually NOT the finished shift, but a shift that is half finished.
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Let's remember that Europe isn't the only source of werewolf legends.
Sanity is relative.
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

Odd, I'm supposed to be writing an essay that's due tomorrow right now instead of being on the computer, and your sig pretty much sums up the whole thing.
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Apokryltaros wrote:Werewolf.
Werewolf?
No. There wolf: There, castle.
Actually, the quote is...

(distant howl)
Inga: Werewolf
Dr. Frankenstein: Werewolf?
Igor: There.
Dr. Frankenstein: What?
Igor: There wolf. There castle.
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Hehe. That was a good movie.
@Shaun: You referring to mine?
Sanity is relative.
Curan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wor'Kai

Post by Curan »

Morkulv wrote:But 'were' means 'man'. So it has to contain some kind of human element, right?
The prefix "were" has nothing to do with the picture of the form a man p-shifts to. The origin meaning of werewolf is a man with the ability to do a p-shift to a wolf.

Remember, in the old european sagas and mythologies is spoken about men who were transformed into full wolves.

For example the greece mythology reports that the king of Arcadia was transformed to a wolf by Zeus after enraging him with is cruelty.
Enothger example for that are the reports of Herodot about the abilities of the Skyts to transform themselfs into wolves.

The celtic myths tells us about abilities to transform to wolves and bears. You'll never find a word wich describe something like that we call Gestalt form.

So the Gastalt form is only a product of modern horror story teller and film makers.
Homo lupo lupus est.
Scisne, homo, quod lupum essendum profecto significat?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Curan wrote:
Morkulv wrote:But 'were' means 'man'. So it has to contain some kind of human element, right?
The prefix "were" has nothing to do with the picture of the form a man p-shifts to. The origin meaning of werewolf is a man with the ability to do a p-shift to a wolf.

Remember, in the old european sagas and mythologies is spoken about men who were transformed into full wolves.

For example the greece mythology reports that the king of Arcadia was transformed to a wolf by Zeus after enraging him with is cruelty.
Enothger example for that are the reports of Herodot about the abilities of the Skyts to transform themselfs into wolves.

The celtic myths tells us about abilities to transform to wolves and bears. You'll never find a word wich describe something like that we call Gestalt form.

So the Gastalt form is only a product of modern horror story teller and film makers.
Exactly.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Actually, you could say that what they thought were bears were actually the gestalt version, because bears can also walk on thier hind legs 8)
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Fel
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Fel »

Thank you, Curan. That is the point i was trying to make
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Vuldari wrote:
Curan wrote:

Exactly.
That is a negative sir, I wacthed alot of documentary on TV where they talk about the werewolfs in history and half of what they mention is a creature with a wolf head and a mans body so the Gastalt form has been around for just as long as the full wolf form, if you look closely thiers lots of pics of gastalt from back in the greeks times. Just look at fang vs fiction.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Shadow has a point; even king Lycaon and his male descendants were called by many to be 'more wolf than man', but not entirely wolf.
Sanity is relative.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Ralith Lupus wrote:Let's remember that Europe isn't the only source of werewolf legends.
That reminds me. Isnt it strange that more than half of the countries in the world has a werewolf legend or some kind of were animal somewhere in thier history.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Well, not really. Almost every country has shapeshifter legends relating to the local apex predator(s); it's just that wolves were ( :( ) spread out over most of the world and usually dominant.
Sanity is relative.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Shadow Wulf wrote:That reminds me. Isnt it strange that more than half of the countries in the world has a werewolf legend or some kind of were animal somewhere in thier history.

Well they tend to be as, Ralith Lupus said, the apex predator. If it wasn't wolves, it was cats, or foxes, or even sharks.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Lupin wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:That reminds me. Isnt it strange that more than half of the countries in the world has a werewolf legend or some kind of were animal somewhere in thier history.

Well they tend to be as, Ralith Lupus said, the apex predator. If it wasn't wolves, it was cats, or foxes, or even sharks.
Yes I know, China has a werefox. Look at my post I said some other werecreature, everyone has one, but it seems like werewolfs are the most common ones.
Image Image
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

I could've sworn that wasn't there before...

As I said before, werewolves would be the most common because the wolf is the most common apex predator
Sanity is relative.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Yes I know, China has a werefox. Look at my post I said some other werecreature, everyone has one, but it seems like werewolfs are the most common ones.
Image That's because the wolf was the second most widespread land animal on the planet. (I'm sure you can all guess who the first is.)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:Yes I know, China has a werefox. Look at my post I said some other werecreature, everyone has one, but it seems like werewolfs are the most common ones.
Image That's because the wolf was the second most widespread land animal on the planet. (I'm sure you can all guess who the first is.)
Is it man? Am I right? Do I get a cookie? :grinp:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:
Lupin wrote:Image That's because the wolf was the second most widespread land animal on the planet. (I'm sure you can all guess who the first is.)
Is it man? Am I right? Do I get a cookie? :grinp:
Yes, yes, and no.

(I don't have any cookies.)

Edit: Tags, bleh! thpt
Last edited by Lupin on Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

oh darn I was going to guess the kangaroo :jester2:
Image Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I've never heard stories about full-wolf werewolves, really. I've only seen them in movies and on TV and such. It just annoyed me. :P

Edit: don't get me wrong here, wolves are really a thing of beauty, but not as WEREwolves.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Mystic Fang

Post by Mystic Fang »

My personal opinion on how a werewolf should be is best represented in the art of Christy Grandjean. You can find said artwork here: http://www.goldenwolfen.com

Of course, a lot of the pictures are pure fiction, bluejay wings and such, but her main ideal of werewolves are superb in my point of view. O.o
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Mystic Fang wrote:My personal opinion on how a werewolf should be is best represented in the art of Christy Grandjean. You can find said artwork here: http://www.goldenwolfen.com

Of course, a lot of the pictures are pure fiction, bluejay wings and such, but her main ideal of werewolves are superb in my point of view. O.o
Yes, we know.
We all know.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon