Hurricane!

The place for anything at all...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Hurricane!

Post by Scott Gardener »

The new season has begun! Arlene, a tropical storm, blew across Pensacola, Florida. The residents there were unimpressed with that particular storm, considering it dinky compared to what they've already been through, but it's only June, and things get worse in Autumn.

I'm in the Houston area, and I commute routinely to a community hospital near Port Arthur, so this Fall, I could end up blowing by any of you as I circle the globe.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Well, unless it can blow you to Ohio, I doubt I'll see you. But why don't you take a duckie place 'Scott says Hi' and let it loose in the hurricane to see if we can find it! Infact, thats an idea! I'll take a dallor bill, draw a small duckie on it, and see if someone else finds it. Hmm... Well, Have a nice hurricane season!
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

:lol: yeah i know what you guys mean i live in Gainesville Fl. I moved here last year right before the hurricanes hit. It was quite an experience and i am sure this year will be just as bad.
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
Rogue_A
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Der amerikanische Steppenwolf

Post by Rogue_A »

outwarddoodles: Somehow your whole post amuses me. I don't think the hurricane could even blow a duckie all the way to Ohio...but it's funny enough that I can at least imagine it happening. I can even imagine somehow, that scenario happening here. :lol:

But, of course.....Washington state doesn't get hurricanes. The only season I have to worry about is winter. Once, I had to help my friend save his silly garden while it was POURING down pea sized hail balls that hurt and left me soaked to the bone, all while his little brother and sister inside were wailing and freaking about a tornado warning.... ?? Yah, we have seen these little tornadoes, but strangely enough, they always touch down for only like five minutes on a small commercial airplane field or Fairchild AFB, or something completely desolate like that.
"In fear I hurried this way and that. I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other."-Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Ooooooo I like your avatar, Darth Canis!! :D
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Rogue_A: It's good to see someone else from WA around here. We don't get hurricanes, we get earthquakes. We don't (often) get tornadoes, because we favor volcanos!

Anyhow, have fun. When I'm there, I'm up in Bellingham... anyhow, I should sleep soon.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

outwarddoodles wrote:Well, unless it can blow you to Ohio, I doubt I'll see you. But why don't you take a duckie place 'Scott says Hi' and let it loose in the hurricane to see if we can find it! Infact, thats an idea! I'll take a dallor bill, draw a small duckie on it, and see if someone else finds it. Hmm... Well, Have a nice hurricane season!

Hmmmm..that reminds me of a story on a show called "Thats Incredible"

A little girl from another country got $5 from her uncle for her birthday. He lived in the U.S. He wrote on the $5 bill saying "from Uncle to (her name)" I think thats what he said....but anyways...he wrote her name on the bill.

She went to the bank and cashed it for the currency she is using in her country.

Almost 20 years later, she came to the U.S. She stopped at a convenience store to buy some items. When she got her change back from a large bill, she noticed a $5 bill had her name on it. It was the same $5 bill she got on her birthday when she was little!! :o

So yes. draw a duckie on a bill and see where it ends up. Who knows, maybe one of us might end up with it.

:D
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

that would be hilarious!
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

outwarddoodles wrote:Well, unless it can blow you to Ohio, I doubt I'll see you. But why don't you take a duckie place 'Scott says Hi' and let it loose in the hurricane to see if we can find it! Infact, thats an idea! I'll take a dallor bill, draw a small duckie on it, and see if someone else finds it. Hmm... Well, Have a nice hurricane season!
You can rule me out of that duck hunt as well because, as crazy as the weather can be in New England (ever seen snow during a thunder storm?), I have my doubts that a strom would hit Florida and then move up the entire Eastern coastline, much less keep a rubber duckie airborn until it can bean me as I'm making a mad dash from the grocery store (the only time I ever wish I had a car is when it pours).

Still, if that happened, as soon as I got out of the rain I'd have the biggest, loudest, longest gut-laugh of my entire life. :lol:
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Okay then, I'll see how good of a duckie I can draw and I'll put outwarddoodles on it. I have a couple dallor bills near me. I have heard it is not illegal on the outside of the dallor bill. When the world ends and someone finds it, please tell us!
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

I wonder what size large hail was before the game of golf was invented?
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Scott Gardener wrote:I wonder what size large hail was before the game of golf was invented?
Big enough to fit in your palm.
Almost half the size of your fist!
As big as a cow's left testicle! o_O
They were this big! *indicates scale with thumb and index finger* Really!
Big enough to knock you out.
If you were to try, you could barely fit it in your mouth.

I'm sure people weren't lacking in creative ways of describing it.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote: As big as a cow's left testicle! o_O

-- Vilkacis
ummmmm...since when cow's have testicles?

:lol:

Cow 1 a : the mature female of cattle (genus Bos) b : the mature female of various usually large animals (as an elephant, whale, or moose)
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Bull, then. My bad.

-- Vilkacis
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

175 MILES PER HOUR!?!

Katrina is a Category 5, and it's barrelling straight towards New Orleans. Not good. If any of you are from there, GET OUT OF THERE!!!
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Um well I get the wimpey part of it but its still gonna rain pretty hard so I might get a day off of school, but New Orleans is going to have a bad time there three feet below sea level there's going to be major flooding :cry:
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

To all in the path of this hurricane our thoughts and prayers are with you :mourn:
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Hey I posted this in a different thread. But I thought I would just go ahead and post it here since this one was here first, and I didn't see it before:

Well, as many of you may have heard, the worst hurricane in history is heading for land. I believe landfall is expected at around between 3 and 7 a.m. There's a very real possibility that New Orleans will be covered in water, destroying or severely damaging all the homes.

Some predict that many towns and cities will be pretty much eradicated after this. Some believe the Gulf may never recede, and Louisiana will be a smaller state and many places won't be rebuilt. I don't know if I believe that or not, but we'll see.

Traffic on the various interstates is at a standstill, in many places. If it doesn't start moving quick, some people may be blown away while sitting in their cars, waiting for traffic to move.

If worst-case scenario happens, it will take years to repair all the damage, and many people will die. No Mardi-Gras in New Orleans this year.

My parents live in a small town near Bogalusa, which is in Washington Parish. We're North of where the real damage will hit, but I'm still worried about our animals.

So, anyway, this is a natural disaster of epic proportions. To those of you that are religious, please pray for Louisiana.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

if you think gas prices are rediculous now wait untill after the storm. because where the strom is going to hit is were half of the US's gas gets refind there
THE GAME

My Armory
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Really now...who'd be dumb enough to build a city below sea level? Especially when it's surrounded by water on three sides. And knowing that why on earth would you live there? People make no sense...

Well if they wanted to live where a hurricane could easily kill them then that's their problem. No one made them buy a house in New Orleans.

[spoiler]I know I'm an insensitive b****. So sue me.[/spoiler]
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Well, it is a port city, and port cities are typically built close to the ocean on purpose. That being said.... that's still royally stupid in my book, I know the current people of NO had nothing to do with planning the location, and I know that most people that live there probably never thought about it.

However I just want to find the ghost of whomever decided to build a city there and whap them in the back of the head with a rolled up newspaper.

"Bad ghost BAD! No Bisquit!"

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Well, no matter where you live, there's probably gonna be some kinda disaster. Some people have tsunamis, some have hurricanes, some have volcanoes, some have blizzards, some have earthquakes, some have forest fires, some have tornadoes, some have drought...the list goes on. There aren't a huge amount of 'safe' places to live, most regions have some sort of disaster lurking around the corner.

That being said, it really isn't a great idea to build a city below sea level. But if we avoided every natural disaster by building away from it, we'd have a lot less space on which to live.

In the defense of the New Orleaninians, most hurricanes that have come their way haven't exactly devastated the way this one will. Sure, there's been a couple of bad hurricanes and a lot of serious flooding and wind damage, but all in all, they haven't had that much damage (at least not what you would think they would have had, considering their location). Also, the officials keep predicting massive disaster, and it's never as bad as they say it will be, so people eventually start to blow it off and keep moving in there, and all too often not evacuating when the need arises. (Sorta like The Boy Who Cried Wolf....). This hurricane will definitely make people take future evactuations more seriously, and may get less people to live there in the future.
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

Yeah, that's true. There's not really any place on earth safe from SOME kind of natural disaster.

But there is such a thing as inviting trouble...
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I don't think they purposefully built NOLA three feet below sea level. They built it — it grew — and it's sinking.

And you just described the plight of most of Die Nederlands. Half of that country, including Amsterdam, is below sea level and hiding behind levees and dykes.
ImageImageImageImage
Koshaw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Duckinator

Post by Koshaw »

Same with Venice, Italy =)
ImageImage