AB's "Shamequins"

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

AB's "Shamequins"

Post by Silverclaw »

New movie being directed by Anthony Brownrigg. Only thing know so far- In pre-production and is a horror movie :D

edit: ok, link is not working. You can just go to ABs myspace page and look under the pictures section. Has the poster there.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Looks like he's putting "Freeborn" on the shelf then.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Well he says Freeborn is still getting funding. Hopefully it wont take too much longer or whatever :|
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Freeborn is taking awhile because it's a bigger production, with an estimated budget of $6,000,000, and yet he wants to keep control. He has already turned down one studio about a year ago, because they wanted to fiddle with it too much. He did not want to make the next Cursed. By comparison, Red Victoria was done with $5000, with funding from his wife, our own Figarou, the lady in charge of A-Kon, and two or three others, none of whom wanted to recast all the female roles with lesbians or make any absurd plot changes. When making cheap horror films, you've got a lot of creative freedom. When making a big time production, you've got to get support from bigger and richer sources, many of whom will want to fiddle with it.

Why do you think Asimov's "I, Robot" got turned into an action movie starring Will Smith, wearing Converse All Stars in the late 2020s? (Those shoes should by then be as dated as the Atkin's Diet, iPods, and being sick and tired of mother[bleep]ing snakes on a mother[bleep]ing plane.)

Anthony figures it's better to release the movie done right in 2010 than to put out yet another crappy werewolf that could have been great tomorrow. If he had wanted, it could have already been out, but it would have sucked. Any of you still remember Blood and Chocolate?

Meanwhile, I'm curious to see how this thing goes.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Scott Gardener wrote:being sick and tired of mother[bleep]ing snakes on a mother[bleep]ing plane.
My favourite description of them is "Oedipal snakes on an Oedipal plane"...
Scott Gardener wrote:Any of you still remember Blood and Chocolate?
That was an Elvis Costello album, wasn't it? :lol:
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Scott Gardener wrote:Freeborn is taking awhile because it's a bigger production, with an estimated budget of $6,000,000, and yet he wants to keep control. He has already turned down one studio about a year ago, because they wanted to fiddle with it too much. He did not want to make the next Cursed. By comparison, Red Victoria was done with $5000, with funding from his wife, our own Figarou, the lady in charge of A-Kon, and two or three others, none of whom wanted to recast all the female roles with lesbians or make any absurd plot changes. When making cheap horror films, you've got a lot of creative freedom. When making a big time production, you've got to get support from bigger and richer sources, many of whom will want to fiddle with it.

Why do you think Asimov's "I, Robot" got turned into an action movie starring Will Smith, wearing Converse All Stars in the late 2020s? (Those shoes should by then be as dated as the Atkin's Diet, iPods, and being sick and tired of mother[bleep]ing snakes on a mother[bleep]ing plane.)

Anthony figures it's better to release the movie done right in 2010 than to put out yet another crappy werewolf that could have been great tomorrow. If he had wanted, it could have already been out, but it would have sucked. Any of you still remember Blood and Chocolate?

Meanwhile, I'm curious to see how this thing goes.
In addition, just like myself with my much smaller budged scripts that I am working, if AB can successfully get smaller projects produced and marketed with a sizable return, it will make his chances of getting Freeborn produced with himself at the helm. Even with Freeborn taking a leave for a while, as long as AB can continue to attract business, he will not only put money into his own pocket, but show larger studios that he is someone to pay attention to. A larger studio of course means more money of which means bigger budget, better effects, and so on and so forth.

I am in the same position with H.O.D. The project is simply too large for anybody that I know to produce. I even had prospective agents to love it to death, but pass on it, because the cost puts it on a high risk market. Freeborn can be produced for 6 million, H.O.D. can't be produced for anything less than 80 million. This of course makes it a high risk, as it would have to generate that and more to make any money. Freeborn, even as it is, if produced for 6 mil, could generate a healthy return if it only made 10 mil. That means AB and those associated with the project could pocket 4 mil. Most movies, even really bad ones, can at least generate that much with theatrical sales and DVD sales... well unless you are Uwe Bol, but then again I hear that terrorists are starting to use his movies as torture devices... Damn... give me the guillatine any time! :P
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

AB also doesn't have much in the name of name recognition yet, and most people that do know him probably know him best for his pre-Freeborn work, a-la the "doesn't even have a car" guy from They Crawl or whatever. :P Yes, Uwe Bol sucks, but he's got name recognition, and since most production companies think the average American moviegoer can't tell the difference between quality product and crap, they have no problem keeping the bad writers and actors busy.

Just think of Red Victoria as being to A.B. what American Graffiti was to George Lucas; the small movie he needed to make before anyone would consider him for the big one. I too am glad Freeborn is being put on hold for the exact same reasons. Better a movie that was damn well worth the wait than something quick yet crappy, right?
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Another point to consider; Sony waited until the copyright on "I, Robot" expired before making their version of the story; simply so they could do whatever they wanted with the name.

"Blood and Chocolate" was literally sold to the studios by the author, who stated she didn't care what was done with the picture-she had the cash, which was her principal motivation. :P

AB wants to tell a story about Werewolves...HIS story. So we wait, rather than let the financiers and marketing ruin it. It's an investment well worth sitting on for a while. We'll get a better story as a result. :D
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

I liked the B&C movie better than the book. I hate that the dude tries to kill her and she ends up with that slimeball in the end in the book.
(and you guys accuse me of being anti-human)