AHHHHHHHHHHH SILVER

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Do You think werewolves can die/be hurt by silver

yes
65%
no
35%

Total votes: 68

Night_Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: My cross to bare

AHHHHHHHHHHH SILVER

Post by Night_Hunter »

i think ther is another thread like this. If there is im sorry

Does a werewolf die by silver bullets. Or get hurt when exposed/touches silver. I think not

heep in mind back in the day Mercury was considered quick silver. idk if that effects anything though
OH FOR GOD'S SAKE YOU HAVE RABIES TOO ?!!?

Read my stuff at:
http://nightfiction.blogspot.com/
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

I think it's a good convention.
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

We've already done many topics on this board, but as we gain new members we end up repeating most of them.

Just remember that as you give werewolves extraordiany powers, you have to balance it with weaknesses. Generally I go by this rule.

If they have fast healing abilities and involnerablility, silver injures them.
If they are hurt by regular weapons and can't heal faster than an avarage wolf (which is a little faster than humans) silver is nothing special.

That's how I work it out
Joey Liverwurst
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Joey Liverwurst »

Yes. I don't think silver bullets are gentle on anyone.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

We first were presented with the Werewolf/Silver business in the original Wolf-man movie. Before that...none of the legends circulating about Werewolves mentioned silver as a specific Werewolf destroyer.

Silver has several magical properties that might make it more effective against werewolves; mostly involving Silver as the "Lunar" metal opposinig Gold as the "Solar" metal. Since Werewolves were "Lunar" creatures, silver would affect them most, being a sympathetic (similar) substance.

IRL: Silver is a b**** to work with. You don't just cast up silver bullets like lead ones; its melting temperature is much too high. It is a lot harder than lead, too; while being much less dense. The only real life reason for Werewolves to be damaged by silver is that it is extremely toxic to the body...any body; and with a Werewolf's elevated metabolism...
It could really hurt.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
loganx5142
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by loganx5142 »

How do you feel about silver by it's self hurting a werewolf? Example: A werewolf picks up a silver knife. Will the werewolf be injured by the contact or does the silver knife need to be used in a way that would be considered violent to the werewolf? (IE: stuck into the chest of the werewolf.)
Whoever is bitten by a werewolf and lives becomes a werewolf himself.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

I think werewolves would have a psychological aversion to silver because it's one of the few things that can kill them. So even though they wouldn't be hurt by just picking up a silver object, they might be apprehensive.
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer
Mood: Excited

Post by Black Claw »

I think that if a werewolf was shot by a silver bullet, eventually he loses his ability and must revert back to his human form to regain strength. but not just touching it or wearing it as jewelry will kill it. If so death by jewelry. :lol: :howl:  :oo
I am the guardian of the light and darkness,
I am the one who whispers in the dark,
I am the eyes of your soul,
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

In my main storyline, werewolves can regenerate moderate wounds and even ears or fingers, though it takes days or weeks, depending on the severity. They can't regrow severed whole arms or legs or neurologically complex structures like eyes or brains, and they can still bleed to death or otherwise succomb to trauma-related problems. Shape-shifting can solve some problems, but it creates a host of others.

Mine are not affected one way or the other by silver. A silver bullet can kill, but it would do so not because it's silver, but because it's a bullet.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

You're forgetting that the skin would offer protection from silver...it's pretty selective as to what gets through it.

News, people: Silver will damage Humans (Smoothskins) as readily as it damages Werewolves. It's is TOXIC. On the skin, it just makes black spots. Inside, it kills cells and organs. It isn't just Werewolves that are endangered by Silver...it's everyone!
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer

Post by Black Claw »

my cousin has a allergic reaction to silver so she can't wear a belt i got her a few days ago, shich sucks cause payed ten bucks for it. :howl:  :oo
I am the guardian of the light and darkness,
I am the one who whispers in the dark,
I am the eyes of your soul,
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

Silver is a major threat, especially in the full werewolf form. Fortunately, they can feel when silver is near which gives them plenty of advance warning. Silver-caused wounds take considerably longer to heal, and if left in contact with it for long periods of time, they can die or suffer irreversible damage. For that reason silver bullets are especially dangerous. Silver directly touching the skin (not fur) causes a painful rash within a few minutes, but generally doesn't do more than that if removed quickly. Some werewolves choose to slowly build up a silver immunity over time, though the process can be difficult and painful.
That's from my website.
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
ghostfang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ghostfang »

Lazywolf wrote:
Silver is a major threat, especially in the full werewolf form. Fortunately, they can feel when silver is near which gives them plenty of advance warning. Silver-caused wounds take considerably longer to heal, and if left in contact with it for long periods of time, they can die or suffer irreversible damage. For that reason silver bullets are especially dangerous. Silver directly touching the skin (not fur) causes a painful rash within a few minutes, but generally doesn't do more than that if removed quickly. Some werewolves choose to slowly build up a silver immunity over time, though the process can be difficult and painful.
That's from my website.
good read
ImageImage
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Rosiewolf »

Well, if all werewolves had an allergic reaction to silver for some reason, then I would say yes to this. But if they don't, I don't really see how it would matter if they were to touch silver. Still, if a werewolf was to get hit by a silver bullet (in this scenario, the werewolf has no reaction to touching silver), the werewolf would still be wounded from the bullet.
People will probably never know the truth until they ask a werewolf; well, more than one werewolf I should say. You can't really come to a conclusion if you were to just ask one werewolf.
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
desethrus

Post by desethrus »

no i don't think that silver can kill a were-wolf........at least as much as it can a human......murcury is hugely poisinous............and bullets are still deadly even if they are silver......so..........silver isn't particularly effective but it can still kill them i guess........
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Berserker wrote:I think werewolves would have a psychological aversion to silver because it's one of the few things that can kill them. So even though they wouldn't be hurt by just picking up a silver object, they might be apprehensive.
This was the only way I could envision silver being special to a werewolf either. A lot of the questions that have been asked here at the Pack, even a werewolf himself may not know the answers to. Though silver itself may not be any more hazardous to a werewolf than a normal human, a werewolf may develop a phobia of silver since he wouldn't know either. After all, the only way to truly know the full extent of silver's potency would be to subject himself to it.
AngryGothChick
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hello person.
Mood: Depressed

Re: AHHHHHHHHHHH SILVER

Post by AngryGothChick »

Depends on how you mean hurt or killed.A silver bullet to the head would kill anyone.And as for being hurt by silver,I don't think silver actually hurts a werewolf.Might irrate them,but probably not actually hurt them.(I'm trying to remember what a friend told me)

The Ginger snaps series says you don't need silver to kill a werewolf.
Out by sixteen or dead on the scene, but together forever
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Warrior Hero
Additional Details: Email: werewolfwarrior@ymail.com

http://myspace.com/werewolfwarrior

Main Grid Second Life Name: Alexie Borgin.

Post by Werewolf Warrior »

Well with the whole sliver thing....that idea came from movies and false rumors, especialy stories. so in real life no one knows what is a werewolves true weakness.
Werewolf Nation Leader

If any of you wish to join us in Second Life please do, and if you want to you can join our site at http://www.werewolfnation.webs.com/index.htm
Goliathe Dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Inquisitor

Post by Goliathe Dark »

I suppose if a werewolf's genes had been realined (don't really know how to spell that), there could be some sort of chemical reaction with the element silver. Although, I'm not sure about the muscle structure and their body's natural healing ability.

Also, if what RedEye said before was right (that silver would cause serious health problems if punctured into the skin of both were' and human) shouldn't a more dangerous material cause more physical damage?
What is the difference between an optimistic man and a blind one?

Reality is for those who lack imagination.

Those who beg for death are destined to live forever.

I see you. I know of your intentions. I'd ask you to leave but that wasn't in the cards.....so I'll ask you to die.
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Undead Mutant Dinosaur
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

From a storytelling standpoint, I've found silver is usefull if you find that you have written your werewolves as ridiculously strong and tough. Why go back and rewrite your werewolves as weaker when you can just go "AHAHAHAHA! SILVER BULLETS YOU PIGF###ERS!"?

(And yes, that was a line from a werewolf story I once wrote.)
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching."
-Jack Handey
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Night_Hunter wrote:Mercury was considered quick silver. idk if that effects anything though
Mercury? Oh, hell yes. That stuff is seriously bad news. We've got a huge problem with that junk here in California. Back in the late 19th century, they got heavily into hydraulic gold mining. They'd use mercury to separate the gold from the surrounding minerals. When they were done with the stuff, they just dumped it wherever. There's literally tons of the stuff all over the place, and it's still dangerously toxic even a hundred years later. If anybody wants to go visit the Bodie ghost town, make sure you don't bring a lunch and sit down in the dirt to eat it. They dumped arsenic by the metric ton, but it leached into the groundwater where it eventually got back to the surface where the UV rays managed to break down its chemical structure (at least so says California State Parks), but the relatively small amount of Mercury they dumped there is still friggin lethal now in the 21st century.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Silver was originally thought to be harmful to werewolves, vampires etc. because it is a "pure" metal.

Though the reality, like RedEye said, is that silver nitrate is poisonous and will kill just about anything.

I agree that silver can make for an effective plot device, but not necessarily as a means of giving "uber" werewolves an easily exploitable weakness (that would be the cliche approach). The thing is that, regardless of whether silver is effective against werewolves, it's been readily burned into our consciousness from a lifetime's worth of movies and several centuries of folklore.
So when we hear the term "silver bullet," we tend to immediately think of two things: beer and werewolves. :grinp:

As utterly horrible as the movie Darkwolf was, I will give them kudos in one department: the professional werewolf hunter already had all the silver bullets he needed, and as soon as you see those silver bullets, you know exactly what he plans to do with them. Silver might not be necessary to kill a werewolf, but taking into account everything that's been said against silver in this thread and beyond, why else would anyone in their right mind want silver bullets?

Might be something worth considering if a pack wants to stay a step ahead of their adversaries.

"Hey boss, it's me, Steve from the gun shop. You're not going to believe this: We've got a customer out front that wants to know if we stock silver bullets."
"For real? Okay, ask to see some I.D. so we can get together the welcoming committee."
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Terastas wrote:Silver was originally thought to be harmful to werewolves, vampires etc. because it is a "pure" metal.

Though the reality, like RedEye said, is that silver nitrate is poisonous and will kill just about anything.

I agree that silver can make for an effective plot device, but not necessarily as a means of giving "uber" werewolves an easily exploitable weakness (that would be the cliche approach). The thing is that, regardless of whether silver is effective against werewolves, it's been readily burned into our consciousness from a lifetime's worth of movies and several centuries of folklore.
So when we hear the term "silver bullet," we tend to immediately think of two things: beer and werewolves. :grinp:

As utterly horrible as the movie Darkwolf was, I will give them kudos in one department: the professional werewolf hunter already had all the silver bullets he needed, and as soon as you see those silver bullets, you know exactly what he plans to do with them. Silver might not be necessary to kill a werewolf, but taking into account everything that's been said against silver in this thread and beyond, why else would anyone in their right mind want silver bullets?

Might be something worth considering if a pack wants to stay a step ahead of their adversaries.

"Hey boss, it's me, Steve from the gun shop. You're not going to believe this: We've got a customer out front that wants to know if we stock silver bullets."
"For real? Okay, ask to see some I.D. so we can get together the welcoming committee."
That last sentence rhymed by the way...
Anywho... i think it can kill them in certain situations... just depends on what those are. Honestly, in some cases i could see silver being like sunlight is to vampires: You put it on the skin and it starts dissolving. But that's just me... in my stories i don't have silver as a weakness for the "good" werewolves. Just for the bad in it's purest state. It turns toxic when you taint it usually with blood of child, and then it acts like it does for the bad ones, for the good ones. Yes it's a weakness and it can kill... but i still have it that silver in of itself is not a danger to the werewolves...

Oh, and here's a proof positive way to make sure someone's not a werewolf {if you're willing to risk killing them that is} Some people's skin can have a negative reaction if they ingest silver, ie, it turns blue. That's a sure way that person isn't a werewolf, if silver can actually kill them...
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Sort of like Alucard's bullets or Andersen's knives in the Hellsing anime (both of them had their weapons "baptized" on top of being pure silver). That's delving into the realm of magic though, and silver by itself is regarded as being a magical material; the additional curses and/or blessings might just be overkill.

It's going off topic somewhat, but I had to rethink vampires for my writing too, and while I did keep their severe allergy to the sun, I downplayed it somewhat, IE: they are incredibly prone sunburns and heatstroke, but it doesn't literally make them burst into flame (though any vampire that's been in the sun will tell you that's what it feels like).

Silver, if it has any unique affect on werewolves, I don't think would be much different. It might cause a burning sensation, but I seriously doubt that it would literally burn.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Terastas wrote:Sort of like Alucard's bullets or Andersen's knives in the Hellsing anime (both of them had their weapons "baptized" on top of being pure silver). That's delving into the realm of magic though, and silver by itself is regarded as being a magical material; the additional curses and/or blessings might just be overkill.

It's going off topic somewhat, but I had to rethink vampires for my writing too, and while I did keep their severe allergy to the sun, I downplayed it somewhat, IE: they are incredibly prone sunburns and heatstroke, but it doesn't literally make them burst into flame (though any vampire that's been in the sun will tell you that's what it feels like).

Silver, if it has any unique affect on werewolves, I don't think would be much different. It might cause a burning sensation, but I seriously doubt that it would literally burn.
No, making an entrance, turning to face the campers and letting your tail swing into the campfire and thus igniting it, and then running off into the forest yelping at the top of your lungs...
Now THAT would literally :lol: burn.