AHHHHHHHHHHH SILVER

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Do You think werewolves can die/be hurt by silver

yes
65%
no
35%

Total votes: 68

WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Re: AHHHHHHHHHHH SILVER

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

RedEye wrote:
Terastas wrote:Sort of like Alucard's bullets or Andersen's knives in the Hellsing anime (both of them had their weapons "baptized" on top of being pure silver). That's delving into the realm of magic though, and silver by itself is regarded as being a magical material; the additional curses and/or blessings might just be overkill.

It's going off topic somewhat, but I had to rethink vampires for my writing too, and while I did keep their severe allergy to the sun, I downplayed it somewhat, IE: they are incredibly prone sunburns and heatstroke, but it doesn't literally make them burst into flame (though any vampire that's been in the sun will tell you that's what it feels like).

Silver, if it has any unique affect on werewolves, I don't think would be much different. It might cause a burning sensation, but I seriously doubt that it would literally burn.
No, making an entrance, turning to face the campers and letting your tail swing into the campfire and thus igniting it, and then running off into the forest yelping at the top of your lungs...
Now THAT would literally :lol: burn.
(Hmmm... it wasn't a campfire... just a regular fire... uh... nevermind... {runs off and hides})
Yeah i can imagine how much that would hurt...
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:
RedEye wrote:No, making an entrance, turning to face the campers and letting your tail swing into the campfire and thus igniting it, and then running off into the forest yelping at the top of your lungs...
(Hmmm... it wasn't a campfire... just a regular fire... uh... nevermind... {runs off and hides})
:? Umm. . . Okay.

I suppose that was worth bringing up since a lot of people attribute fire to be cleansing and therefore effective against vampire/werewolves, but. . . That's another one of those things that can kill vampires/werewolves the same way it can kill everything else. The religious fanatics that gave us most of, if not all of the prescribed weaknesses had this mentality that killing someone before they have the chance to sin counts as saving them, so they didn't exactly leave us with any safe methods to test whether someone is a vampire, werewolf, etc. or not. :P
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Terastas wrote:
WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:
RedEye wrote:No, making an entrance, turning to face the campers and letting your tail swing into the campfire and thus igniting it, and then running off into the forest yelping at the top of your lungs...
:? Umm. . . Okay.

I suppose that was worth bringing up since a lot of people attribute fire to be cleansing and therefore effective against vampire/werewolves, but. . . That's another one of those things that can kill vampires/werewolves the same way it can kill everything else. The religious fanatics that gave us most of, if not all of the prescribed weaknesses had this mentality that killing someone before they have the chance to sin counts as saving them, so they didn't exactly leave us with any safe methods to test whether someone is a vampire, werewolf, etc. or not. :P
On that note, I've heard that nearly anything that can kill a vampire is likewise affective against a werewolf -- and vice versa. The logistics behind that being that both monsters are hellish satanic spawn; and any purifying object is capable of destroying such an unclean abomination, regardless of the specifics.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

outwarddoodles wrote:On that note, I've heard that nearly anything that can kill a vampire is likewise affective against a werewolf -- and vice versa. The logistics behind that being that both monsters are hellish satanic spawn; and any purifying object is capable of destroying such an unclean abomination, regardless of the specifics.
The reverse is more or less accepted, but nothing ever makes mention of garlic, sunlight or flowing water being dangerous to werewolves. It may simply be because vampire legends were in more abundance, or it could be because the two more or less represented different kinds of evils (vampires the dark temptation of Satan, werewolves the unforgiving wildness of nature. . . or something like that), but at any rate, not everything that is effective against vampires is guaranteed to be effective against werewolves.
Ookami-kun
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Luffs Buff Wuffs!

Post by Ookami-kun »

In my version, I have werewolves being tough and quite enduring, but they can be harmed with anything as long as its strong enough to cause damage. None of the silver crap.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Keep in mind that Silver is Poison.

Silver kills normal cells and readlly does a job on infections, but it works the same way Iodine does, by poisoning the tissues its in contact with.

Some stories have the Werewolf injured as a secondary effect of the silver, since a silver (or silver plated bullet) would keep the Werewolf's body from making the repairs needed, and causing infections as a result.
It's called Necrotization... The killing of adjacent tissues by infection or damage in the area that is affected.
The Skin-Destroying disease is called Necrotizing Fascitis, and will eventually kill the person afflicted with it, unless it is stopped somehow.
Frequently, major amputation or removal of all affected tissue is the only way to stop it.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Leonca~
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Cat who walks by Herself
Mood: Stressed

Post by Leonca~ »

Silver damages cells? What about all of those people with argyria from ingesting silver? It gets deposited in their tissues and discolors them, but I’ve never heard of it actually hurting anyone.
Then again just about anything can be toxic in the right doses. Even too much oxygen is harmful, go figure. :P
Sombra avatar by Leopreston at deviantart.com
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Last edited by Midnight on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Midnight wrote:I know silver nitrate is used for medicinal purposes... when I was young, I had a wart or a verruca or something like that on my foot, and had some silver nitrate on a stick (looked like a long match) to burn it off with. (This was back in the 1970s and they probably don't do that any more). I didn't know that normal silver was particularly hazardous; if it was, surely they wouldn't have been making silver coins right up to the 1940s, and still making silver jewellery?
They still do that today, only nowadays they use liquid nitrogen.

Silver isn't so poisonous that even simple skin contact can be hazardous, but it's still not something you should ever want in your body. The use of colloquial silver as a "cure-all" is an old wives' tale playing on silver's association as a "pure" substance; one miracle cure scheme among thousands.
Ookami-kun
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Luffs Buff Wuffs!

Post by Ookami-kun »

First werewolves aren't really weak to anything.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Ookami-kun wrote:First werewolves aren't really weak to anything.
Except for pie.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Wingman wrote:
Except for pie.
And duckies.
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Undead Mutant Dinosaur
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

Since when?
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching."
-Jack Handey
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Bloodyredbaron wrote:
Since when?
Since he decided so.

Though, the sentence itself is a little ambiguous. It might be talking about the first werewolves. When considering evolution and mutation, they could either be drastically more vulnerable to silver, or not bothered by it.
Or, it could be "First of all, werewolves aren't exceptionally vulnerable to anything.", which I'm guessing was what was intended to be posted and got lost in translation somewhere.

Either way, the statement has as much merit as a color-blind man telling me the sky is red. I say it's blue, but regardless of how much thought we put into it, neither of us can truly be sure of what color the sky is up until some supreme being appears and gives us a declaration. Even then, we'd likely be told we're both mistaken and it's really green.

He's got his red werewolves, you've got your blue werewolves, and I've got my orange werewolves. It's a fictional creature, we're all right up until someone carts out a real werewolf and can prove that they're all the exact same as it, and it's different from what we've been claiming.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Wingman wrote:Or, it could be "First of all, werewolves aren't exceptionally vulnerable to anything.", which I'm guessing was what was intended to be posted and got lost in translation somewhere.
A better statement might have been "nothing is exclusively hazardous to werewolves." The only two common killers of werewolves are belladonna and silver bullets; the former is one of the most poisonous plants known to man, the the latter. . . Well yeah, what won't die if you put a bullet in its brain?
You could also kill a werewolf with a hellfire missile. . . Well duh!! :grinp:
Cyberwatt
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Packmate of Sabbatis
Mood: Happy

Post by Cyberwatt »

Hi everyone!

There is another alternative converning silver: in the old mystery movie "The Beast Must Die," the werewolf could only be killed by silver when the full moon was out and a concentrated amount of Wolfsbane pollen was present in the air. In other words a highly unlikely combination (unless deliberately engineered as in the movie). With this, you have a fatal weakness but a somewhat difficult one to exploit.

Just a thought. Cheers!

- CW
http://thevindicad.blogspot.com/ - The new apocalyptic serial novel. With werewolves!
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

Wingman wrote: -Snip-
I love it when people on this forum try to peg me as some kind of free will hating werewolf Nazi. Or better yet, a stupid free will hating werewolf Nazi.
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching."
-Jack Handey
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Take a chill-pill, Bloody Red... Nobody is calling you a Werewolf Nazi or anything like it.

And Ookami-Kun, please clairify your statement.

Thank you.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Bloodyredbaron wrote:
Wingman wrote: -Snip-
I love it when people on this forum try to peg me as some kind of free will hating werewolf Nazi. Or better yet, a stupid free will hating werewolf Nazi.
1) Always reply to sarcasm with a hint of sincerity and light-heartedness.

2) Taking sarcasm seriously is what you DON'T do.

3) You do NOT retaliate with serious business by sardonic imitations of said sarcasm.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Hear that wooshing sound, it's the subtext I tried to include in the post in a way that wouldn't get me banned.
There will always be people who pop into a thread, make a semi-literate statement, and then vanish again. So what's the point of calling them out on it? Very little short of tracking down their IP address, driving to their house, and pulverizing them is going to change their opinion. Why get worked up over it?
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

My comment was not one hundred percent directed at Wingman, it was a general observation of what usually happens when I debate on this forum.
This is about as light hearted as I get.
-Jack Handey
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Bloodyredbaron wrote:My comment was not one hundred percent directed at Wingman, it was a general observation of what usually happens when I debate on this forum.
So why the sardonic remark about people accusing you of being a freedom nazi? To me you sound more heavy-hearted.
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

As in, I am very heavy hearted.
-Jack Handey
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Wingman wrote:There will always be people who pop into a thread, make a semi-literate statement, and then vanish again. So what's the point of calling them out on it? Very little short of tracking down their IP address, driving to their house, and pulverizing them is going to change their opinion. Why get worked up over it?
This would have been my advice if it was someone new to the board, like if they had a single-digit post count or had only registered the day before. Ookami-kun, however, has been here long enough and contributed enough that I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a response.

I too wouldn't mind seeing some further explanation. You can't just make a statement like that (or start it with "First off") and then not follow it up with anything.
Khuwwa
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Khuwwa »

I think the whole silver weakness seems like just another myth that humans tell each other to feel as though they have the secret weapon against the werewolves... well, at least for skin contact only. I could see it being more harmful to a werewolf if it was to pierce the skin, get into the bloodstream, etc. because of the generally elevated metabolism if nothing else (yay science! It's why I love these boards).

I am in the camp that a silver bullet would take out anyone, werewolf or not. If someone could get their hands on one.