Hypothetical: Would you fund Freeborn?

The place for anything at all...

Would you pledge the amount mentioned below?

I could, but I won't.
8%
I would, but I can't.
75%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
4%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
4%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
8%

Total votes: 24

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Hypothetical: Would you fund Freeborn?

Post by Terastas »

The thread on AB's "Shamequins" in the general movies thread got me to wondering: How much would it take for us, the Pack, to get the six million dollar budget estimated to make "Freeborn?"

Well, I was bored enough to actually do the math. Obviously this isn't accurate since I'm counting users that have stopped posting or have 0 for a post count, but again, this is just for the sake of a hypothetical question:

"Freeborn" requires an estimated 6,000,000 budget.
"The Pack" has 1367 users.

So if I did the math right, The Pack could fund Freeborn if each registered user contributed $4389.17.

So, just hypothetically, if all of our registered users were still active at the message board, would you make the pledge?
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mood: RAR!

Post by *nagowteena* »

I would, but unfortunately I can't.

I'm a 15 year old kid, using what little money I have to get head shots, and to go to acting class.

I wish I had money to spare, but I just don't. :(
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:
"Freeborn" requires an estimated 6,000,000 budget.
"The Pack" has 1367 users.

So if I did the math right, The Pack could fund Freeborn if each registered user contributed $4389.17.
You forgot one thing.

There's the possibility of running out of funds before the film is finished.

6 million can turn into 8 million quite easily. Then the Pack would have to cough up some more money. That or look for an outside source.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Fig,

Everything is always overbudget. One should raise twice to three times as much as they actually 'need' because unforseen costs and delays will take a big bite out of the other stuff.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

You know, I'm dedicated to Freeborn and all that and such...

But I figured watching the Movie and buying the DVD was dedication enough.

Assuming I were ten years older, had a job, and a constant paycheck, I doubt I'd still pay that. I mean, $4,000 for a movie?! I have enough of a time paying $8 for the ticket and another $6 on popcorn.
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

If, I ever, say....suddenly become insanely rich....

sure, I'd provide some funding.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

At the moment, I cant even spare $20 let alone $4000. :P
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Actually by putting towards the movie and depending on how much of your money was used to film the movie, you would be considered part of the project, via funding. Because of this, once the movie gets made, you would be eligible for at least some of the profit, the amount of course is tied directly to the amount you put in and the amount the said film actually made, of which includes theatrical sales, international sales, DVD sales, and possibly download sales.

In short if you are helping fund a movie, you are due a return, unless noted otherwise. Funding/ producing a movie is a business model and is treated as thus.

As for the Pack funding it? The reality is most people don't have $1000 dollars lying around to be used for anything other than their own needs, let alone $4000 to $5000 dollars. It may only cost $6,000,000 to produce Freeborn, but you've not even considered the cost of marketing and other post production costs. In short if we conservatively tallied all of Freeborn's expenses, the total could run as much as $25,000,000 when it is said and done, and that is IF Freeborn's production costs stay within that 6 million dollar range. Getting it made is half the battle, and then you have to get it out there. There are TONS of things to also consider, such as dining and living quarters for the cast and crew, travel expenses... and a whole butt load of things that you may or may not even think about. In short it is serious doe...

So could the Pack fund it? I doubt it, as most of us here work regular jobs, with regular pay, and can't really afford to spend too extravagantly on things costing $500 dollars, let alone $4000 +.

This is, of course, why AB has to get larger studios interested in producing Freeborn. They have the money and the no how as to where to get the money to produce his feature. This is also why AB has been producing smaller budget things, as to get some credit and clout behind his name, because he also wants to retain the majority of the control of his feature.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Howlitzer wrote:If, I ever, say....suddenly become insanely rich....

sure, I'd provide some funding.
Agreed. If I were to hit the Lottery, Freeborn would start shooting as soon as AB could get the people together.

Of course, I would provide the money anonymously :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

There is a lot one could do if they had a few billion dollars, of course funding a film is a business deal.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Baphnedia wrote:Fig,

Everything is always overbudget. One should raise twice to three times as much as they actually 'need' because unforseen costs and delays will take a big bite out of the other stuff.
Yes...I know.

Just like giving yourself extra time when asked how long something will take.
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

I would in a flash if i had the funds todo so. :)
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
Ansuru
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ansuru »

I'm a 24 year old college graduate who can't find a job because the economy's tanked. Sorry, can't do it.

If I win one of these $100+ million lotteries, then I'd consider backing the whole thing, but we all know the odds of that happening. ;)
The wind whipping past my face...
The underbrush combing through my fur...
The earth flying beneath my paws...
Am I alive?
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

ya, slim to maybe. lol :lol:
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Dude, I'm broke. I'm a college student, so I'm spending thousands of dollars I don't have as it is.

I would chip in if it came down to "Oh hey winning lottery ticket!" but otherwise I can't do it.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

alphanubilus wrote:
In short if you are helping fund a movie, you are due a return, unless noted otherwise. Funding/ producing a movie is a business model and is treated as thus.
Plus you get a title. (Executive producer) :D

I helped fund Red Victoria. But its a much smaller scale compared to Freeborn.

If I had the funds....I'd help out with Freeborn. :D
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Figarou wrote:
alphanubilus wrote:
Plus you get a title. (Executive producer) :D
*nods* If I had the money, that would have been my reasoning. Even some total crap movies that I wouldn't even pay $2.00 for a bootleg copy of can make ten to twenty million in the first week. If the budget for Freeborn stays within seven figures, I think it could turn a profit just on opening night.

At least that's assuming it gets the required publicity, which I believe it will since it's "the movie the fans helped create." I figure it'll come into the box offices kind of like the way The Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield went in -- where the press will generate more interest than any marketing campaign. I'm not saying I think Freeborn will be as good/bad as those movies were; just that most people will go to see Freeborn not knowing what they're in for.

So if I had a job, I'd probably ration that any money I put into the movie would be coming back and put the rest of my dream list on hold, but as of this moment, I'm still unemployed, so I don't even have the option of cutting back right now.
Which is why I'm glad this is just a hypothetical question and not something I'll ever be hitting myself over in the future. :P *sigh*
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

I wouldn't. ( this is assuming i had the money, which I don't ) but if I DID, I wouldn't fund the movie because I didn't think the script was very strong.
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Howlitzer »

well...who says everybody would have to fork over and entire $5000 at once, on the spot?

You could take up some kind of donation collection account with, say, progress updates posted regularly.

That might not cover the whole thing but it may help...you never know. If anything, it might help pay to get things rolling so more money can be found to pay for the actual movie.
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mood: RAR!

Post by *nagowteena* »

Howlitzer wrote:well...who says everybody would have to fork over and entire $5000 at once, on the spot?

You could take up some kind of donation collection account with, say, progress updates posted regularly.

That might not cover the whole thing but it may help...you never know. If anything, it might help pay to get things rolling so more money can be found to pay for the actual movie.
you've got a very good point there.

and even if just a few donate, it's still something to help out.
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Ehhh if AB can get funding, he'll get it. The amount of money any of could donate would probably only add up to a few weeks of gasoline for him. It's going to be all or nothing on Freeborn.
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Howlitzer »

well it's still worth looking into. I can't see it hurting anything.

It makes sense that getting the money to actually MAKE the movie, which, yes, would be all-or-nothing..... would take some amount of money in the first place to get.

It costs money to get any kind of project out there so the right people see it, and maybe throw more money your way to make it a *reality*. Otherwise you're stuck with forums, word-of-mouth, and whatever else you can grab on to.
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer
Mood: Excited

Post by Black Claw »

i would but i m still in school and getting ready for college so i would make a big contribution if i could. :howl:  :oo
I am the guardian of the light and darkness,
I am the one who whispers in the dark,
I am the eyes of your soul,
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Dudes, the economy is So bad and people are struggling SO much i doubt anyone on this board could cough up 5 bucks much less 5,000
Last edited by MattSullivan on Wed May 07, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'm game. I'll first have to pay off the cat, and then trade in the Lamborghini for a more fuel-efficient Tesla Roadster, but it's doable.

And, I do remember having said at some point, "I'd pay good money to see a werewolf movie done right." And good money finally has a specific figure, or at least a starting budget, of $6.1 million.

Of course, I think at least a few of the 1300+ registered members may be Spam-Bots. Not intending to seem like a racist profiler, but Spam-Bots are sometimes real deadbeats, so the rest of us may have to take up the slack, raising our proposed pledges to $5000 a piece or so.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...