Wolf to Human

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Wolf to Human

Post by Rosiewolf »

I've noticed that mostly people talk about what would trigger the werewolf to change into a wolf, but how come there really is nothing about what situation would trigger the werewolf in wolf form into human form? Other organisms besides humans do have emotions; such as fear, anger, etc.
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Ooooh! Something we haven't talked to death already!

What would cause a reversion in a Werewolf?
A bucket of cold water? The arrival of Animal Control? Being tickled?(Seriously here; tickling is a massive releaser of endorphins, a counter chemical to adrenalin)
Moonset ( for Lunar-triggered Werewolves) or dawn (ditto).
On the Endorphin thing, brushing would also release endorphins; as would any mainline "pleasurable sensations" do.
We are talking an Uncontrolled Reversion here, aren't we?
Hmmm: Death is the usual movie reversion cause, but there would almost have to be others.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

RedEye wrote:Ooooh! Something we haven't talked to death already!

What would cause a reversion in a Werewolf?
A bucket of cold water? The arrival of Animal Control? Being tickled?
(Seriously here; tickling is a massive releaser of endorphins, a counter chemical to adrenalin)
Moonset ( for Lunar-triggered Werewolves) or dawn (ditto).
On the Endorphin thing, brushing would also release endorphins; as would any mainline "pleasurable sensations" do.
We are talking an Uncontrolled Reversion here, aren't we?
Hmmm: Death is the usual movie reversion cause, but there would almost have to be others.

A belly rub? :grinp:
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

hmm.... interesting...

being knocked out? (i.e. unconsciousness if the body itself is NOT weakened to the point where it can't shift back) If you're unconscious, would you rather be in your werewolf form or your human form when somebody finds you? Hmm? Defensive mechanism anybody?

gas/bloat.... when canines get gas, due to their physiology they can get a deadly condition where the stomach, after inflating a bit, rotates backwards and pinches off the esophagus. Needless to say, it's a BAD thing. If this ever happened, it might be damn embarrassing....but it would be useful to shift back and take a good belch.
Night_Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: My cross to bare

Post by Night_Hunter »

the opposite of what triggered the human to wolf?
OH FOR GOD'S SAKE YOU HAVE RABIES TOO ?!!?

Read my stuff at:
http://nightfiction.blogspot.com/
Shikao
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by Shikao »

Well, if endorphins are counter-chemicals to adrenaline...
-Eating excessive amounts of chili peppers (capsaicin stimulates endorphin release)
-Running or swimming for a very long distance.
-Fine needles in specific body points (nails, spike strips, running into a cactus)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Well, the short answer would be, as Night_Hunter said, the opposite of what caused it.

Most commonly (at least based on my own observations here at the Pack), the shift has been attributed to an increase in adrenaline. So, if you go by that, a shift from wolf to man would be induced by a sudden drop in adrenaline.

So I think the most common causes of reversion would be either a prolonged period of inactivity, or as cliche as it might sound, just plain passing out from exhaustion. Tranquilizers or other alternative "sedatives" like alcohol might do the trick too.
MoonCalled
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by MoonCalled »

But woudln't it take more energy, and a greater toll on your body if you were to shift while you were weak/tired. And most of the time when your drunk your thoughts are impared so wouldn't you be more freaked out?

And while your shifted you can heal better right? So wouldn't that mean that your body would try to get rid of the 'toxin's' aka alcohol?

Maybe Tranquilizers, depending on what's in it though. . .

(sorry if I seem to be. . . yeah. More questions. . . :P)
yeah, my Avi's a wolf. :P
Night_Hunter
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Night_Hunter »

it'd be like scenerio like HULKing out

You meet a situation that makes you mad or scared. Your body fires up the adrenaline and you go fuzzy. When you over come the situation of obstacle and you have no stimuli get you scared, mad, or excited, the trigger (the adrenaline) leaves and you return to normal. (Full moon could attribute to transformation because the were get worried or mad)

I don't think the Tranqs would work. 2 reasons 1) would an animal tranq formula on a were? I don't think so
2) Weres are supposed to have a healing factor. THe chemicals would be gleaned out

and if the tranqs fail it would likely make the were more mad, so he stays in wolf form.

(WOULD MORE TRIGGER I.E MADDER AND SCARRIER THE PERSON THE MORE "WOLFISH" THEY'D BECOME?????)

Read my stuff at:
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Night_Hunter wrote:it'd be like scenerio like HULKing out

You meet a situation that makes you mad or scared. Your body fires up the adrenaline and you go fuzzy. When you over come the situation of obstacle and you have no stimuli get you scared, mad, or excited, the trigger (the adrenaline) leaves and you return to normal. (Full moon could attribute to transformation because the were get worried or mad)
Anybody else see the connection to The Incredible Hulk?
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

There is one difference between Hulking out, and coming down with a case of Fuzzy and Toothy; namely that in many stories the Werewolf stays a Werewolf even after the original stimulus has worn off.
So...maybe there is a sort of biological trigger that starts the reversion that has nothing to do with what caused the Shift.

What would probably happen is that once the adrenalin was used up, the Wulf would most likely be more able to deal with things in a non-reflexive way, as opposed to dealing with things during the adrenalin surge. At that time, even Smoothskins experience time dilation, sound damping, loss of fine motor control, and a drop in intelligence (seriously) from reasoning to reflexive response to things, and narrowing of vision to what's immediately in front of you and nothing more.

I suspect that after the Surge is over, A werewolf would have to consiously decide to revert, since we've pretty well established that the Wulf is a better survivor than the Smooth, and nature is survival driven.
Just ask the Dodo.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

MoonCalled wrote:But woudln't it take more energy, and a greater toll on your body if you were to shift while you were weak/tired.
*nods* By a period of inactivity, I mean like two to three hours. And whether or not the body would reject it really depends on the sedative itself, but it's for that reason you mentioned that I think sedatives would be frowned upon and/or used with caution.

It would hurt, yes, but then again, so does stretching when you get out of bed, and yet we all do that anyway. If shifting was caused by adrenaline, a werewolf couldn't force himself to shift out of his wereform the same way he could force himself to shift back; shifting out would have to be a much slower, more controlled process.

Think of the difference between shifting in and shifting out as, oh, I dunno. . . The difference between doing Tae Bo and doing yoga.

So yes, shifting back would hurt and take some toll on the body, but if it was done at a slower, more controlled pace, it could be done without causing the werewolf's adrenaline to spike again.

Again, this is only if we assume adrenaline is the factor. There are others, but adrenaline is the most common factor that isn't cliche that I know of.
Irish Wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sneezy
Location: If I told you...well let's just say it wouldn't be good

Post by Irish Wolf »

well i'm going to repeat most of what has been said with influence from a book

a character shifted because anger :shift: and when he calmed back down he shifted back to his human form rvt so really the ideas above pretty much sum it up
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rosiewolf »

How would death exactly, cause the werewolf in his/her wolf form to shift back to human form, RedEye? I mean, obviously the body would not be able to shift back since the heart would stop pumping blood, and the brain wouldn't be working as well.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Well, going by the countless movies that have shown just that thing happening, I would suspect that there was something that required bodily energy to maintain the Wulf form and death would cout off that energy source.
Mind you; almost all of these movies use the "Cursed" form of Werewolf, and when you're dead the curse has nothing to work with.

If, on the other paw, the Wulf is a "natural" Werewolf; then A: the whateveritis that makes them into werewolves dies with the body. This implies that the Wulf form in NOT their native or natural form, rather it's an excited state they achieve that ends with death...or, B: The Wulf form is their natural form, and the "Human" one is the forced version. Then they wouldn't revert, since they were in their natural state already.

Personally, I favor the "Natural" version: you Cross Over, you get a new baseform in the Werewolf; and the Smoothskin form is something you have to push yourself into...but once there, it's stable, too, so whatever you are when you die is what you stay dead as...no reversion.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Rosiewolf wrote:How would death exactly, cause the werewolf in his/her wolf form to shift back to human form, RedEye? I mean, obviously the body would not be able to shift back since the heart would stop pumping blood, and the brain wouldn't be working as well.
I think the logic behind that is that, when the body dies, its adrenaline levels drop down to zero and the body, for lack of a better word, "deflates" back into human form.

It's sort of the same logic I had when I mentioned passing out. What I was thinking was that, assuming it takes two to three minutes for a werewolf to shift from man to wolf, it could be possible for a werewolf to shift out automatically and painlessly if it happened over a couple of hours.

So it's possible that a werewolf could shift back after dying, but it wouldn't be like it is in the movies where the dead werewolf is in human form before whoever killed him can kick him to make sure he's dead and/or deliver a lame catch phrase. At the very least, I figure it'd take too much time for an unconscious/dead werewolf to automatically shift back for it to be observed in motion. At least not without one of those stop-frame cameras they use to record plants blooming n' such -- certainly not with the human eye.
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rosiewolf »

Ah, yes, I see both of your points; RedEye and Terastas.
But also, a question that just sprung to my mind; if the werewolf were in wolf form, and died and changed back to human (using the example of the adrenline dropping to zero, Terastas), in this case, would human form, always be the dominant form of a werewolf?
Night_Hunter
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Night_Hunter »

yes........... kind of

but like most other questions it depends on the type of were.

if it is the ones taht only change on a full moon then yes. The ones that cahange on free will....yes if the stay human alot. BUT if it the ones like here where they change because of stress and horomones then probably not because, especially in our world today, the average human incounters alot of stress

Late for Work? BOOM your fuzzy

playing a game of football with the guys? WATCH OUT a werewolf

playing a VIDEO GAME and you lose as you almost finish? Wolf out!

Girlfriend dump you? Transform

Spill starbcuks on u? It's were-time

Computer crashes while your writing important emails? AAAAAHHH MONSTER!

Fall in the shower? Get yelled at, at work? You're refridgerator breaks? Your landlord is nagging about rent? Check bounces? YOU TURN INTO A WEREWOLF!

these are but a fraction of the frequent problems a person might face... so you'd most likely be a were most of the time.

Read my stuff at:
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

Night_Hunter wrote:-Snip-
If that were the case then a non moon transforming werewolf would be dead fast. Its anonymity would last pretty much, less than a day. The were would most likely end up dead. If a werewolf can't take the pressure of daily life then what good is it? In my mind a very heavy amount of stress would make more sense so as to trigger a shift. Otherwise he would transform at the slightest mishap. I would say an extreme amount of stress or an extreme feeling of any given negative emotion would do it. It makes more sense given that to give an extreme amount of say fear; there would have to be something big. The problem is now defining what is "extreme".
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Rosiewolf wrote:Ah, yes, I see both of your points; RedEye and Terastas.
But also, a question that just sprung to my mind; if the werewolf were in wolf form, and died and changed back to human (using the example of the adrenline dropping to zero, Terastas), in this case, would human form, always be the dominant form of a werewolf?
As it was (presumably) also the original form, yes, I would say so.
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rosiewolf »

Thanks Terastas. :D

I do have to agree with Silent Hunter. The werewolf shouldn't change that frequently, because most people have that kind of stress on them everyday, and if that were to happen to werewolves, then everyone would know that werewolves were real, since you might see one in in the cubical next to you.

Though I myself would be pretty angry if my Starbucks spilled onto me...
Shikao
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by Shikao »

I would be p***ed off beyond belief if somebody spilled scalding hot coffee on me.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Shikao wrote:I would be p***ed off beyond belief if somebody spilled scalding hot coffee on me.
It's ten time worse if you're fuzzy at the time; your fur holds the hot coffee against your skin so a slight burn can become a very painful scalding.

In Smooth, you can at least pull your garments away from yourself; fur is gonna stay right there. :cry:
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rosiewolf »

Next time I go to Starbucks, I'll make sure that I don't spill my drink on anyone and myself. I don't want someone turning into a werewolf and then attacking me.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Rosiewolf wrote:Next time I go to Starbucks, I'll make sure that I don't spill my drink on anyone and myself. I don't want someone turning into a werewolf and then attacking me.
Actually, you'd have the perfect weapon in your hand; the scalding hot coffee! Remember: fur can't be pulled away from the skin (well it can but it hurts like the devil...).