TES: Oblivion

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Akela wrote:Yes I was indeed bothered at the lack of the Twin Lamps, however, I downloaded two twin lamp mods and merged them. There is also this, I found it very interesting.
Vuldari wrote:What if you "die" inside an enemy stronghold? Do you wake up in thier dungeon...or maybe laying face down in the dirt outside of the main gate, with most or all of your items gone?...or do you wake up right where you fell down, even if it's the main cousel chamber of some cult, where you will immediately be attacked again? ...no...that can't be it. Bethesda is smarter than that.
Nope, it would be a game over.
Rereading the previous post, I see that is says "NPC" and not "player" which makes me think I don't really know what this means, as I thought I did.

I really just should look it up on the website.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

My post was purely one of speculation, however, basing it on the previous 3 games if you die then you're dead for good.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Akela wrote:My post was purely one of speculation, however, basing it on the previous 3 games if you die then you're dead for good.
How is that different from morrowind?

In any game where you can save your progress, you can allways start over from your last save if you die. I doubt the game will be cruel enough to delete your save file if you happen to screw up.

What exactly is supposedly different now. I'm confused. Image

So, if you die...you will restart from where you last saved. Isn't that how it worked in Morrowind?
Aki wrote:Bwha.

Totally awesome news, Forced reloading is OUT.

They replaced it with a process where you can 'kill' the NPC but its more like you knocked 'em unconscious as they'll get back up in a few days or so.

Much better, not too realistic but much better.
Or is it...you cant kill essential NPCs (Non-Playable-Characters: The people you talk to and battle with in the game), anymore?

That would make more sense. In Morrowind, killing the leader of certain groups, or other important characters would make the game impossible to complete. It would actually make alot of sense to make those specific characters essentially "immortal", so it remains possible to finish primary quests.

...like, if you happened to "defeat" one of them in combat, or they died for some other unforseeable reason, they would vanish (transported to safety) and not return for a few days untill they heal. ...maybe...

But yeah...even in Morrowind, when your "Player"/"Avatar" died, you were supposedly dead for good too. ...only, the game knew that you were not going to just turn it off and give up, so it would "force-reload" your last save so you could try again.

...I think I get it now. After re-reading Aki's post, I see that I had mis-read it before.

I don't know for sure, becasue I never killed an essential NPC in morrowind before, but maybe the game would automatically reload if you did this...but this no longer happens because those NPC's are immortal now...or something.

Aki...help...

What did you mean?
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I really spent months behind Morrowind. I will devinitaly buy Oblivion.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

Morkulv wrote:I really spent months behind Morrowind. I will devinitaly buy Oblivion.
Me too, I'm looking for a job now so I'll have the hardware to run it when it comes out. I've got to have the CS so I'll need pc version which means I'll need a whole lot of money. :P
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Heh, I still have a crappy PC, so I'm gonna buy me a XBox 360. I also thinks it playes a lot better with controller (well, at least Morrowind did, IMO).
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

Morkulv wrote:Heh, I still have a crappy PC, so I'm gonna buy me a XBox 360. I also thinks it playes a lot better with controller (well, at least Morrowind did, IMO).
My PC is pretty bad too, that's why I'll need a whole lot of money, I'll have to do some major upgrading for oblivion. Mine has trouble with morrowind as it is. I'll probably get a 360 too, but I think I like the keyboard more than the controller and I've got to have the construction set and capability to add mods. So PC it is. :D
Prowler
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Arctic interests

Post by Prowler »

I'm sure oblivion didn't tax Pc's that much. There was a demo you could download of the oblivion forests and that didn't require HUGE specs.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Vuldari wrote:
Aki...help...

What did you mean?
Heh, whoops, maybe I thought I'd mentioned forced-reloading before, or simply wasn't clear.

Okay, so, BEFORE, Oblivion's essential NPCs (think like, guys that gave you 'thread of prophecy is severed please reload blah blah' in morrowind. Guys like Caius Cosades and Vivec) would cause the game to load to the previous save if the NPC was killed.

Morrowind example: You stab Caius, he died, game reloads to your previous save, no matter how far backj it was.

Now, its so when they die, they're just...unconscious, kinda. They reawaken in three (IIRC) days (ASSS A VAMMMPIIREE! No, just kidding, the three day similarity was too good to let pass though, hehe) brand new.

Lets you beat the hell out of a essential character without wrecking the game.
:evil:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Prowler wrote:I'm sure oblivion didn't tax Pc's that much. There was a demo you could download of the oblivion forests and that didn't require HUGE specs.
...whaa? ?... Demo?...

Where?

What?
Prowler
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Prowler »

http://www.speedtree.com Thats the home site of the program Bethsada are using to "grow" the Oblivion forests, it looks exceptionaly good.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Beth's also got a cool program called FaceGen.

Its how they're making faces his time 'round. Obviously, they have some modifications for races like Khajiit and Argies, but you get the idea. You can even download the faceGen demo and screw around, its rather versatile.

faceGen and Speedtree are both great and should make the game more realistic.
:D
Heh, I still have a crappy PC, so I'm gonna buy me a XBox 360. I also thinks it playes a lot better with controller (well, at least Morrowind did, IMO).
I prefer keyboard + mouse. The ability to use the quick keys proved invaluable to me. It would be a pain in the a** to have to open inventory every time I needed to change my weapon for a lockpick or something.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

In Morrowind for PC, you have to drag all the items to your character. A sword for instance. For the XBox, you can just click on it, and it will automaticly appear on the right spot on your character. Those kinda things are just more handy, I think. And when I play a game on my TV, I can really get into the game. On my PC, not. For shooters I think, mouse + keyboard is great. But for RPG's, it doesn't matter much for me.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Prowler wrote:http://www.speedtree.com Thats the home site of the program Bethsada are using to "grow" the Oblivion forests, it looks exceptionaly good.
Grrrrrrrr....

I updated my Direct X9 software and graphics drivers, but I still cant get this thing to run.

All I get is a "Failed to create Direct3D Device" message every time.

...I wonder if that means I will need to upgrade from my G-Force 4 Ti 4200 8x just to run the game.

That would be really frustrating if I get the game in December (I allready pre-ordered the "Collectors Edition"), only to find I need to spend hundreds of dollars extra just to play it.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Prowler
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Prowler »

thats odd, i never got any errors on my G-force 4 Mx card :?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Prowler wrote:thats odd, i never got any errors on my G-force 4 Mx card :?
Actually, with my brothers help, I found out that the exact card that I have, though decently powerful, was NOT built with any Direct x 9 support...for some reason.

It looks like I'm going to have to shop for a new DX9 compatable card (and probobly some extra RAM...just becasue), between now and December 5th, if I want to even PLAY the game at all. *grumbles*

It's just like when I got my GAMECUBE. My local games store started selling the game "Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader" several weeks before the console was even available, so a bought the game and just stared at the disk for two weeks before I could play it.

=^.^'= ~
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Ooo, you can preorder it?
Sanity is relative.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Yeah, but I wouldn't reccomend it from past experiences. I preorder a game and have to wait for about a week after the game comes out before I'm able to play it. Besides it not like demand for the game will be *that* high, TES is only a cult classic after all.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Akela wrote:Yeah, but I wouldn't reccomend it from past experiences. I preorder a game and have to wait for about a week after the game comes out before I'm able to play it. Besides it not like demand for the game will be *that* high, TES is only a cult classic after all.

yeeewaaaht? it's liek the hottest thing Beth. St. ever turned out!
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Akela wrote:Yeah, but I wouldn't reccomend it from past experiences. I preorder a game and have to wait for about a week after the game comes out before I'm able to play it. Besides it not like demand for the game will be *that* high, TES is only a cult classic after all.
You just pre-order from the wrong places. The stores I usually buy my games from will give the products to me the day they recieve it...even if that is a week before the scheduled release date. (I recieved my copies of Zelda:Ocarina of Time, Zelda: Majoras Mask and Pokemon Gold/Silver all a few days to a full week prior to the announced release dates.)

Demand not that high?! Image

...name one PC game comming out this holoday season that is BIGGER (in hype) than ES IV: Oblivion.
Last edited by Vuldari on Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

=^.^'= ~
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Yeah. Cult Classic.

I mean, thats why they've got dozens of game magazines with Oblivion on the cover. :P
Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lycanthrope »

Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Yeah, I've seen that before. I like how they cast Jim Carey for Sheogorath.

Sounds like the perect guy to play him, IMO. 8)
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Bad news and good news for Oblivion folks...

Good news; The highly acclaimed Werewolves mod will continue on Oblivion.

Bad news; Oblivion is delayed to Q1 2006 until further notice.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Akela wrote:Bad news and good news for Oblivion folks...

Good news; The highly acclaimed Werewolves mod will continue on Oblivion.

Bad news; Oblivion is delayed to Q1 2006 until further notice.
Cool...Image

Bummer... Image

On the bright side...this will give me a little more time to save up for the upgrades my PC will need to run it.

=^.^'= ~