Depression thread

The place for anything at all...
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Re: Depression thread

Post by RedEye »

Who knows, you might meet a cute girl...with odd ears and pointy teeth and strange feet... :o Much of Scandanavia was spared in the Scattering.

Stuck out in the wilderness, you might actually find fun stuff to do; remember, right now you're a n00b to an entire country. Be patient (I know, it's hard to do) and let what's happening happen to you. Whether it's enjoyable or a pain is frequently a matter of individual interpretation. Keep your mind open to the pleasures of what's happening, not the bum-outs. :wink:
Last edited by RedEye on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Coat with graphite before baking in a 253 degree oven, then add glue
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

RedEye wrote:Who knows, you might meet a cute girl...with odd ears and pointy teeth and strange feet... :o Much of Scandanavia was spared in the Scattering.

Stuck out in the wilderness, you might actually find fun stuff to do; remember, right now you're a n00b to an entire country. Be patient (I know, it's hard to do) and let what's happening happen to you. Whether it's enjoyable or a pain is frequently a matter of individual interpretation. Keep your mind open to the pleasures of what's happening, not the bum-outs. :wink:
Listen to him...
(Yeah... he's old enough to know... kidding. We appriciate the advise of a such a sagely pressence.)
{Blink} *cough* suck up *cough*
( :P {tosses duckie})
:missed:
( :x crap!)
:lol:
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot

(well this is a first... another mind seeking help...
It just doesn't seem like me being in existence in enough anymore... i've tried my best to help but... right now, i just don't see the point in anything... i don't see horrorible things as i should anymore... and i just don't see why a heart is needed...

I'm married, but i'm worried i'll fail and make the worst mistake of my life by letting her go.
I can't handle this anymore... life is meaningless, pointless and filled with hatred and violence... why do have to live here?)

Why didn't you tell me?
(Because it just suddenly hit me like a cold shock. I've been feeling like this for a long time... and i just don't know what to do anymore...)
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: RAR!

Post by LunarCarnivore »

i know what you mean werewolf keeper, i finally found a girl who loves me not in spite of my oddities, but because of them. i should be happy, and when im with her i am, but when im away and i get to thinking, i just dont think i deserve her. so im almost waiting for the shoe to fall, and if it does, it may destroy me.
Formerly known as Wolf-Man-24
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

(well this is a first... another mind seeking help...
Ha...hahahaha...uh, no. Not by a long shot. Maybe with you specifically but in general no.
and i just don't see why a heart is needed...
Because not having one sucks? (I ought to know... *grumble*) Besides most things would be really kinda dead without a literal one.
life is meaningless, pointless and filled with hatred and violence...
Yep. Always has been always will be. Not much you can do except try and make the best of it.
why do have to live here?)
Because you got the short straw like the rest of us.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

Wolf-man-24 wrote:i know what you mean werewolf keeper, i finally found a girl who loves me not in spite of my oddities, but because of them. i should be happy, and when im with her i am, but when im away and i get to thinking, i just dont think i deserve her. so im almost waiting for the shoe to fall, and if it does, it may destroy me.

(It's been a while now... but i'm finally over whatever that was...
Okay, now i want to get something straight: I exist in someone elses head, as does my wife. Just because this is true, does not mean i was making all that up... the human was not the one who typed those things... i was...
Now that that's done:
If you expect something bad to happen,it will... you have to trust she won't hurt you... it sounds to me like she does love you... a lot... don't make her out to be one who hurts you...
You'll be making the worst mistake of your life... {turns away})

You okay?

(Yeah... it's just... i was very close to doing that with Cindy... too close... she loved me and i almost pushed her away... i'm just lucky she was stubborn enough she didn't let me...)
V, from V for Vendetta.

RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Let's deal with contradictions:
You feel like you don't deserve... That's because you are aware, and aren't perfect in every way. The people that really don't deserve are the people who are certain that they DO deserve something. It's called Vanity. The opposite, Humility; is what makes us realize how fortunate we are, and keeps us trying to do better and make this place better for everyone, not just us.

Love is a mystery, literally; but it's the best thing we have going for us in this world. Your "other" is someone who knows you, and still likes you. Don't get hung up in the why; focus on validating that positive vision: for you and for her. Do that, and you will find there is such a thing as happiniess, once you admit it and let it into yourself.
Happiness is passive; you have to invite it in...
And where you exist is unimportant. You exist; leave it at that. If you didn't exist, you wouldn't feel. Feeling defines what we have declared to be our universe, and we get to live in it for all our existence as whatever we are.
That's known as Divine Justice: You make your universe. You declare what it will be. Then you live in it. You are rewarded or punished as you deem fit. And Heaven waits for you to wake up...and try again.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

(No idea if that was meant just for me, or for both me and Wolf-Man-24, or just for him but... that makes me feel better for some reason...
Thanks... you will what will be... and it is... somethings you can't change... but others...

eh... Cindy's been sick for the past week and i've been taking care of her... hopefully, this proves i'll be there for her, like she's been there for me all those other times... speak of the she-devil... {Cindy beckons to him} ...Hmm... seems she's feeling better... but just in case {brings extra blanket with him.})

It makes me feel... okay... which is probably better than i have been feeling... thanks RedEye...
V, from V for Vendetta.

LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LunarCarnivore »

you know redeye, when you lay down the logic like that it hard not to feel better. Thanks. logic i can wrap my head around, feelings i find difficult, so its nice to see things from an objective point of view. again, thanks.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Being my age has some benefits... :D

Like Social Security, Dentures, and...I forget the third one... :lol:
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Post by takyoji »

Sorry if I'm just budging in, but yea, I feel lifeless once again. Every day I just wake up without any form of motivation or interest in the day. I just sit down and work for most of the day. But throughout this whole summer I've become depressive probably every 2 weeks at most for a few days or longer. Some days I just can't do anything at all since I'm just completely unable to focus on the task at hand without my mind going blank (such as right now). I've also come to the realization that throughout pretty much most of my life I've just simply been trying to make it through the day with no motivation. And along side that, my grades usually go to crap since I can't ever really do any homework. HOWEVER, that's during school, which is something I don't have at this moment (on summer vacation).

Yet I do realize that I am starting school soon again in ~12 days from now and that I'll just have to bare with the schedule again of trying to make it through the school day, then trying to make it through the rest of the day as I work. Also throughout this summer none of my friends have called me at all, it's pretty much always been throughout my life that I'd have to call my friends in order to do something with them. But recently I've been starting to do things with one friend of mine, however I just feel plain and not deeply interested. Video games and the such have also become a bit dry to myself as well. Then I try to motivate myself by thinking of some thing I'd like to have as of something that I would have to work for, but at this point, there's really nothing I care about getting anymore.

Then I look into the future of what type of career path I'd like to take, and there's really nothing in specific that really comes to mind. Or I even look to the future in general realizing that it's many more years of life that I'll just have to bare with slowly second-by-second, day-by-day, year-by-year, et al. I look at the work I've done this summer and I've only done like 10% of what I've wanted to get done. The only time I ever feel good about myself is when I actually get a project accomplished, not much else really. Then I start thinking about what the hell there is in life, and I see those usual desires everyone has (marriage, children, getting a good job, etc) yet they just seem all so bleak.

And no, I'm not the suicidal type, I'm just careless of my life just trying to make it through each day. Yes, I do have a good home, education, health, and so on; yet, it hasn't exactly counteracted with my current stale views. I'm also usually just sick of myself (self-loathing) at times, and at the same time I don't really have any enemies. Even though I've been in this condition in and out for a few years (or probably even shorter than that), I ironically haven't gone insane. I also don't know whether to consider it depression when it isn't consistent. Some days I feel like complete crap, other days I'm just indifferent.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Consistent? Who said it needed to be consistent? There's a bit more to depression than just "Woe is me, life sucks" anyway.

Can't offer you any advice, unfortunately. Making people feel better isn't my area of expertise.
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Post by Gevaudan »

If it helps, Takyoji, I empathize. Your description is pretty much exactly what my summer has been like.
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

takyoji wrote:Sorry if I'm just budging in, but yea, I feel lifeless once again. Every day I just wake up without any form of motivation or interest in the day. I just sit down and work for most of the day. But throughout this whole summer I've become depressive probably every 2 weeks at most for a few days or longer. Some days I just can't do anything at all since I'm just completely unable to focus on the task at hand without my mind going blank (such as right now). I've also come to the realization that throughout pretty much most of my life I've just simply been trying to make it through the day with no motivation. And along side that, my grades usually go to crap since I can't ever really do any homework. HOWEVER, that's during school, which is something I don't have at this moment (on summer vacation).

Yet I do realize that I am starting school soon again in ~12 days from now and that I'll just have to bare with the schedule again of trying to make it through the school day, then trying to make it through the rest of the day as I work. Also throughout this summer none of my friends have called me at all, it's pretty much always been throughout my life that I'd have to call my friends in order to do something with them. But recently I've been starting to do things with one friend of mine, however I just feel plain and not deeply interested. Video games and the such have also become a bit dry to myself as well. Then I try to motivate myself by thinking of some thing I'd like to have as of something that I would have to work for, but at this point, there's really nothing I care about getting anymore.

Then I look into the future of what type of career path I'd like to take, and there's really nothing in specific that really comes to mind. Or I even look to the future in general realizing that it's many more years of life that I'll just have to bare with slowly second-by-second, day-by-day, year-by-year, et al. I look at the work I've done this summer and I've only done like 10% of what I've wanted to get done. The only time I ever feel good about myself is when I actually get a project accomplished, not much else really. Then I start thinking about what the hell there is in life, and I see those usual desires everyone has (marriage, children, getting a good job, etc) yet they just seem all so bleak.

And no, I'm not the suicidal type, I'm just careless of my life just trying to make it through each day. Yes, I do have a good home, education, health, and so on; yet, it hasn't exactly counteracted with my current stale views. I'm also usually just sick of myself (self-loathing) at times, and at the same time I don't really have any enemies. Even though I've been in this condition in and out for a few years (or probably even shorter than that), I ironically haven't gone insane. I also don't know whether to consider it depression when it isn't consistent. Some days I feel like complete crap, other days I'm just indifferent.
That's... exactly how i feel most of the time... i am out of school... and havn't gone to college if that's where you are now...
I wanted to be a writer, and now, when i actually have time, {my hours got cut at work again... fantastic, ain't it?} i can't write anything worth crap.
I haven't been able to really write in over a year... Lewis on the other hand is working on a few right now... and he needs to get back to work on those soon, too...

(i heard you before you even typed that... i'm still trying to get of the crude your brain keeps acculumating... geeze... haven't i told you a thousand times to NOT...) Moving on...
(eh... i know i need to get to work... only thing is, you've been busying having a really weak a** life, so i can't get to the computer... that, and now that you've got the Diablo II Battle Chest, you're playing that game alot of the time when you could be doing something else... like typing, working on that game of yours that involves going somewhere and talking to people, or basically NOT sitting there and acting like a zombie... Geeze...)

I know... i started on something new for even me... and i need to keep going with it...
(Mmm... good... finally something's sunk in...
Wolf-Man 24, don't mean to go too deeply in your personal life, but... have you told her about your worries yet?)
V, from V for Vendetta.

RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Suggestion to one and all...Boredom and anxiety do not depression make.
I know, having been there and having acquired some nice long scars on my arms as a result...

If where you are is making a down of your life, then

Go somewhere different!

Get out of your house, cabin, apartment, etc. and go do something that you wouldn't normally do. Experience something new. Experience something that is fun, enjoyable or exciting.
If nothing else, go for a long (as in a couple of hours) walk! Break the cycle you're in and experience something new.
Try it. I dare you. :P
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Post by takyoji »

RedEye wrote:If where you are is making a down of your life, then

Go somewhere different!

Get out of your house, cabin, apartment, etc. and go do something that you wouldn't normally do. Experience something new. Experience something that is fun, enjoyable or exciting.
Can you guess the ironic aspect about that though? I was just on vacation a couple of days ago for a week. xP Otherwise probably every 14 days or so I go on a little bike ride and it doesn't make a major difference.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

takyoji wrote: Then I try to motivate myself by thinking of some thing I'd like to have as of something that I would have to work for, but at this point, there's really nothing I care about getting anymore.
Once you get the job you always wanted. There WILL be things you want to get. Like....your own house. A new car. Maybe a 60 inch HDTV LCD. (Who knows)

You're 16. You STILL have the rest of your life to think on what to do or get. Me, I'm 41. I HAVE my own house, pick-up truck, and a home theater I was dreaming of owning since I was 10 years old. My job is not the greatest, but it pays the bills.
takyoji wrote:Then I look into the future of what type of career path I'd like to take, and there's really nothing in specific that really comes to mind. Or I even look to the future in general realizing that it's many more years of life that I'll just have to bare with slowly second-by-second, day-by-day, year-by-year, et al. I look at the work I've done this summer and I've only done like 10% of what I've wanted to get done. The only time I ever feel good about myself is when I actually get a project accomplished, not much else really. Then I start thinking about what the hell there is in life, and I see those usual desires everyone has (marriage, children, getting a good job, etc) yet they just seem all so bleak.

Consider youself lucky cause when I was your age, the computers were like crap compared to today. The internet was JUST getting started. As for a job.....gee whiz....you have PLENTY of computer knowledge. You might land a job in hollywood making CGI films for us to enjoy. ME? I'm just a plain gasoline tanker driver thats stuck in that type of field. I don't have time to learn anything about computers since I have bills to pay. If I was 16 in 2008, going to school, and with computer knowledge, I would consider myself lucky and proud to know a lot about that field. You should know that computers get better and better each year. Programs get more and more sophisticated. Without people like you, we wouldn't enjoy enhanced graphics, programs, and ever evolving computers.

Soon a door will open and you'll have to make a choice. Step inside...or turn around and walk away. Only YOU can make that decision.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

Figarou wrote:
takyoji wrote: Then I try to motivate myself by thinking of some thing I'd like to have as of something that I would have to work for, but at this point, there's really nothing I care about getting anymore.
Once you get the job you always wanted. There WILL be things you want to get. Like....your own house. A new car. Maybe a 60 inch HDTV LCD. (Who knows)

You're 16. You STILL have the rest of your life to think on what to do or get. Me, I'm 41. I HAVE my own house, pick-up truck, and a home theater I was dreaming of owning since I was 10 years old. My job is not the greatest, but it pays the bills.
takyoji wrote:Then I look into the future of what type of career path I'd like to take, and there's really nothing in specific that really comes to mind. Or I even look to the future in general realizing that it's many more years of life that I'll just have to bare with slowly second-by-second, day-by-day, year-by-year, et al. I look at the work I've done this summer and I've only done like 10% of what I've wanted to get done. The only time I ever feel good about myself is when I actually get a project accomplished, not much else really. Then I start thinking about what the hell there is in life, and I see those usual desires everyone has (marriage, children, getting a good job, etc) yet they just seem all so bleak.

Consider youself lucky cause when I was your age, the computers were like crap compared to today. The internet was JUST getting started. As for a job.....gee whiz....you have PLENTY of computer knowledge. You might land a job in hollywood making CGI films for us to enjoy. ME? I'm just a plain gasoline tanker driver thats stuck in that type of field. I don't have time to learn anything about computers since I have bills to pay. If I was 16 in 2008, going to school, and with computer knowledge, I would consider myself lucky and proud to know a lot about that field. You should know that computers get better and better each year. Programs get more and more sophisticated. Without people like you, we wouldn't enjoy enhanced graphics, programs, and ever evolving computers.

Soon a door will open and you'll have to make a choice. Step inside...or turn around and walk away. Only YOU can make that decision.
I hate to contradict myself but... he's got a point... as i've said, i've wanted to be a writer, but now the one thing i've wanted, i can't do anymore. And it's annoying the heck out of me... and makes me question why i even tried to write in the first place...

I'm still nineteen, and although there's no chance i'll ever get into college anytime soon, i don't have excuse not to try to write... i'm just very doubtful of myself... you on the other hand, have skills i don't, and that people are looking for. You're road will be just as hard as others, maybe harder, but you've probably got more a certain future then me right now...
V, from V for Vendetta.

Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

To combat worldly tristesse, some goals usually help. I know often in a depressive state people think they are worthless and maladapted but even outrageous goals help to get the wheel turning.

If it is just a strange feeling of meaninglessness despite a good life I recommend nailing some classic literature (a lot good contemporary literature often requires the canon as a base). Philosophy, if you are into it and nihilism, if you are game. It can be quite empowering and challenging.
Real humanity presents a mixture of all that is most sublime and beautiful with all that is vilest and most monstrous in the world - Mikhail Bakunin, God and The State

Nothing in life is certain except negative patient care outcomes and revenue enhancement - William Lutz
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by *nagowteena* »

ugh.... I'm having so much trouble sleeping, that it's making me depressed. I've even tried sleeping pills...they don't work for me. I'm so sleepy, I can't stay on track or do anything right. :cry:
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Sounds silly, but try warm milk...not over 95 degrees. It usually works very well, since there are natural relaxants in it.

Or...go to bed and read something dull. Works for me...
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Wselfwulf: You bring up a very good point. When I went through a period of depression, I found that giving myself certain distractions helped put off thoughts of "ridding myself." For example, I'd pick up a book I know I like, and tell myself I can't do anything until I finish the book. Or I play a new video game, and then tell myself I can't do anything to myself unless I finish that game. Same went for drawing.

If anyone is feeling to that point, not only should you be recieving help ASAP (your family will understand, and they will want to help.), but pick up something new to do. Watch the LoTR Series, or learn how to cross-stitch.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

For a while there, i was using my stories as a way to relieve pressure on myself. Therapy through writing...
Yeah it sounds kinda stupid, but believe me, it's a fun way of ridding yourself of bad thoughts... by having characters go through that...

the story is sorta like a sponge for evil intents. The energy you would have used to bash yourself is, instead, transferred to the page, in something productive...

Might explain why i'm having worse days... i haven't written in a long time...
V, from V for Vendetta.

LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LunarCarnivore »

Wolf-Man 24, don't mean to go too deeply in your personal life, but... have you told her about your worries yet?)
yeah, we talked. turns out she had some of the same worries. things have been getting alot better now, with the exception of it being a somewhat long distance relationship now that school's started, but we're working through it. thanks for all the help and understanding guys.
*nagowteena* wrote:ugh.... I'm having so much trouble sleeping, that it's making me depressed. I've even tried sleeping pills...they don't work for me. I'm so sleepy, I can't stay on track or do anything right. :cry:
yeah i suffer from mild insomnia as well, instead of sleeping pills, take melatonin. it comes as pills you can pick up at you local health store. and its 100% natural and non-habit forming. it also helps with nightmares, i find. another thing to try is being really active. if you exhaust your body enough, it will have no choice but to fall asleep.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Wolf-man-24 wrote:
*nagowteena* wrote:ugh.... I'm having so much trouble sleeping, that it's making me depressed. I've even tried sleeping pills...they don't work for me. I'm so sleepy, I can't stay on track or do anything right. :cry:
yeah i suffer from mild insomnia as well, instead of sleeping pills, take melatonin. it comes as pills you can pick up at you local health store. and its 100% natural and non-habit forming. it also helps with nightmares, i find. another thing to try is being really active. if you exhaust your body enough, it will have no choice but to fall asleep.
Word.

I used to take Melatonin. It makes me groggy in the morning, but otherwise keeps me asleep the entire night. Melatonin is a natural hormone that your body produces when you sleep.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."