Injury and Shifting

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Ookami-kun
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Luffs Buff Wuffs!

Injury and Shifting

Post by Ookami-kun »

I always wonder how injuries are carried over during the shifting process.

In my case, I always follow the "were form being advanced", that the injuries found in the human form would vanish the moment he or she transforms into his or her were form, but injuries sustained in were form would probably be carried to the human form... or that shifting could be painful... or worse, the person couldn't shift unless the injuries are healed.

And what about the tail injury? :wagtail:
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Re: Injury and Shifting

Post by outwarddoodles »

Depends on the injury.

I always imagined that a missing limb (IE. Arm, leg) would stay missing even while in were-form. Shifting uses the bones and muscles already available, and change them to fit a more wolven template. Simply, you can't have a paw when there's no hand for the paw to "grow off of." If a werewolf *were* to regrow an entire limb, finger or toe, there would be absolutely no difference between how many toes the wolf and human form have. Afterall, losing a limb or suffering an injure DOES NOT change your genetic makeup.

(Tails, on the other hand, are a whole new ball-game. Members here have speculated before that the tail could "fall off" after shifting, or could be cut off and regrown. EWWW, right?)

Cuts, bruises, and scrapes would likely heal during shifting -- after all, they're probably MUCH easier to fix than shifting in the first place, and the major healing and homeostatis involved in shifting would fix the problem almost instantly.

Fratures, deep gashes, internal injuries, and other such fatal injuries woud probably be doubly lethal during a shift, IMHO. There's no saying the body will be able to heal these injuries while the muscles and bones are changing shape at the same time. If anything, I'd expect severe infection.

I have a werewolf character with severe burns and scar tissues on one of his arms. Because hair cannot grow on scar tissue, my character grows no fur on that hand.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I always figured it the other way: that wounds would close when a werewolf is "shrinking" back into their human form.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

My werewolves have faster healing and minor regeneration--fingers and ears can regrow, but arms and legs are more or less gone. The biggest member that can regenerate fully is the tail. In my novel manuscript, my lead character as a wolf gets shot in his forepaw, and the following day someone sees him in human form with an injured hand. A week later, it is healed.

The superb regenerative ability of the tail gives the young and budding field of regenerative medicine a boost in the 2010s and 2020s after werewolves go public. It also spawns a cult phenomenon among Kitsune fans when it's first discovered that a tail cut off grows back; a few werewolves intentionally cut off and collect extra tails, and a few rig ways of holding the limp extra limbs in place. Other werewolves or for that matter normal people--already edgy about werewolves--are thoroughly weirded out by the trend.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
NamiTheUntamed
Custom Title: Rawr

Post by NamiTheUntamed »

I always went by the idea that injuries in your human/wolf form would carry over to your other form, because your body is just shifting to become more wolf-like, you aren’t getting a completely new body. But that’s just me. My werewolf characters are able to transform at will, so it’d be pretty godmoddish if they were able to totally heal themselves with a transformation. My version of werewolves don’t have regeneration, either. :P If it’s gone then it’s gone.

The tail is basically just an extension of the spine, so it’s basically just your spine getting longer and forming a tail. I imagine if one of my werewolves had one cut off it would probably damage your spinal column a little bit in human form, at least.
archangel_athena
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: isabella

Post by archangel_athena »

you cant shift when injured!!!!! your body may not take longer than a few hours to heal but if you were to shift while injured it distorts the body do to the fact that the injury isnt set...
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Dear god, please stop pretending to be a werewolf. It comes off with you looking like a little kid play-acting on teh interwebz. If you're going to do it, at least try to do it well like Werewolf_Keeper.

And that goes for the rest of you too.

:EDIT: Please delete this double post.

Redeye: I did. You can, too; use the delete in the edit function.
Last edited by RedEye on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Information splattering
XIV
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

*sigh* One more disbeliever... what will we have to do to force your eyes open? Come over and bite you?

:P

Naw for real listen to the D-man
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

So he thinks he's a werewolf. For all we know, he could be. Does it matter? No.

Now there's a story; A Werewolf trying to prove he's real! :lol: The adventures of trying to prove he/she is real and not in costume, or makeup; that he/she is real; at a Werewolf Con! (if there are any)

Like the farmer said when he saw the Giraffe at the circus: "There ain't any such animal, even if it's right in front of me."
Last edited by RedEye on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Radioactive Blanche-mange
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

archangel_athena wrote:you cant shift when injured!!!!! your body may not take longer than a few hours to heal but if you were to shift while injured it distorts the body do to the fact that the injury isnt set...
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

Ooo!!! Watch out!
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Back to topic:

The idea that one cannot shift while injured is an interesting plot twist, and a nice way of adding a weakness to an otherwise overpowered character.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

I hesitate to interject myself here, but I've never understood the resistance some of the people on the board here have to the concept of a werewolf with regenerative powers. I just don't get it. It's a shapeshifter. If it can alter its very physical structure with a thought, why is it suddenly so much of a leap for the werewolf to be able to alter its physical form during shifting so that it ends up without gaping wounds. Granted I actually liked the werewolves from old World of Darkness despite the fact that they could throw friggin magic at you (in addition to all of the other X-Men garbage they could do), but I just don't see how regeneration makes them (at least on its own) overpowered. It's a classic concept in fantasy literature that the more powerful a character is, the more they have to have some form of weakness that can be exploited. It doesn't matter if you're talking the Greek hero Achilles and the poison arrow (a story that's been told and retold in whatever variation for the last 2000 years or more), to Superman and Kryptonite. Well, werewolves have a weakness: silver. Bust out with that and the werewolf goes down. Fade to black, roll credits. :?
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I like the idea of shifting healing all wounds (save for dismemberments - I like those permanent. They're not salamanders or something). Gashes would close up some, bullet holes would seal up (potentially very bad if the bullet didn't punch straight through), minor damage to bones would be repaired, etc. The body's practically remaking itself already, repairing damage done isn't too much a threat.
Uniform Two Six wrote:I hesitate to interject myself here, but I've never understood the resistance some of the people on the board here have to the concept of a werewolf with regenerative powers. I just don't get it. It's a shapeshifter. If it can alter its very physical structure with a thought, why is it suddenly so much of a leap for the werewolf to be able to alter its physical form during shifting so that it ends up without gaping wounds. Granted I actually liked the werewolves from old World of Darkness despite the fact that they could throw friggin magic at you (in addition to all of the other X-Men garbage they could do), but I just don't see how regeneration makes them (at least on its own) overpowered. It's a classic concept in fantasy literature that the more powerful a character is, the more they have to have some form of weakness that can be exploited. It doesn't matter if you're talking the Greek hero Achilles and the poison arrow (a story that's been told and retold in whatever variation for the last 2000 years or more), to Superman and Kryptonite. Well, werewolves have a weakness: silver. Bust out with that and the werewolf goes down. Fade to black, roll credits. :?
Considering that everything else in the oWoD was overpowered anyways, the Garou's regeneration made sense. Their level of regeneration (were you shoot them with anything less than silver and don't headshot them they don't go down. And even then...) isn't really quite necessary in any other setting where there's nothing but werewolves or anything that's not a werewolf will take second seat to the werewolves in terms of spotlight and will probably be similarly 'weak' as the wolves themselves.

Besides, no one said Achilles or Superman were really 'good' characters to begin with. Superman's pretty boring, IMO, because either he walks all over someone or they somehow get the "rare" kryptonite and it's the same damn thing each time, growing more ridiculous with each iteration because there's simply MORE of this s*** being found that by now you could take all the kryptonite used in various things involving superman and build a city out of it.
Dire Mae
Custom Title: Dire Mae Hailey

Post by Dire Mae »

:? Good subject.
♫"When I awoke, the dire wolf, six hundred pounds of sin was grinning at my window, all I said was "Come on in" ♫
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Aki wrote: Considering that everything else in the oWoD was overpowered anyways, the Garou's regeneration made sense. Their level of regeneration (were you shoot them with anything less than silver and don't headshot them they don't go down. And even then...) isn't really quite necessary in any other setting where there's nothing but werewolves or anything that's not a werewolf will take second seat to the werewolves in terms of spotlight and will probably be similarly 'weak' as the wolves themselves.
I admit that I'm still infatuated with oWoD, and old Werewolf: The Apocalypse in particular, but that little bit of bias aside, I don't see how regeneration should be relegated only to over-the-top slashfests like W:TA. Granted, the Garou really were nearly unkillable (if you were playing a human at least), and headshots and stuff didn't really do you much good in terms of damage if you were using mundane weaponry. Admittedly, even if you somehow managed to drop a Garou with a headshot using lead bullets, said werewolf would immediately roll Rage the next round, instantaneously heal all injuries, drop into berserk frenzy and thus get, like, five extra actions and be able to ignore all wound penalties -- But if you ignore all of that garbage, I think regeneration works really well for werewolves thematically.

Now I tend to still think of werewolves in the "traditional" role of the hollywood monster antagonist, so I might be drifting off topic a bit, but... The werewolf as the bad guy is a signature character that is frightening for (among other things) the twin abilities of great power (speed, physical strength, etc.) and near invulnerability. The werewolf just doesn't represent much of a threat to a protagonist without regeneration. The lead character simply pulls out:
A. A gun.
B. A knife.
C. A crowbar.
D. A wooden board with a nail sticking out of it.
Or:
E. Other.
... and then proceeds to undertake conflict resolution (AKA: beating the ever-living-sh** out the bad guy). This is how werewolves differ from, say zombies or the aliens from Aliens. The latter creatures are both possessed of greatly enhanced attributes, but at least singly are not much of a threat. They have to swarm an even mildly equipped character to pose a credible threat (ie: using numbers and kamikazi tactics to substitute for an immunity to mundane weaponry). Granted, a character without regeneration can still pose as a terrifying antagonist, but the protagonist has to be essentially defenseless (ala Ripley in Alien 1).
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Uniform Two Six wrote:
Aki wrote: Considering that everything else in the oWoD was overpowered anyways, the Garou's regeneration made sense. Their level of regeneration (were you shoot them with anything less than silver and don't headshot them they don't go down. And even then...) isn't really quite necessary in any other setting where there's nothing but werewolves or anything that's not a werewolf will take second seat to the werewolves in terms of spotlight and will probably be similarly 'weak' as the wolves themselves.
I admit that I'm still infatuated with oWoD, and old Werewolf: The Apocalypse in particular, but that little bit of bias aside, I don't see how regeneration should be relegated only to over-the-top slashfests like W:TA. Granted, the Garou really were nearly unkillable (if you were playing a human at least), and headshots and stuff didn't really do you much good in terms of damage if you were using mundane weaponry. Admittedly, even if you somehow managed to drop a Garou with a headshot using lead bullets, said werewolf would immediately roll Rage the next round, instantaneously heal all injuries, drop into berserk frenzy and thus get, like, five extra actions and be able to ignore all wound penalties -- But if you ignore all of that garbage, I think regeneration works really well for werewolves thematically.

Now I tend to still think of werewolves in the "traditional" role of the hollywood monster antagonist, so I might be drifting off topic a bit, but... The werewolf as the bad guy is a signature character that is frightening for (among other things) the twin abilities of great power (speed, physical strength, etc.) and near invulnerability. The werewolf just doesn't represent much of a threat to a protagonist without regeneration. The lead character simply pulls out:
A. A gun.
B. A knife.
C. A crowbar.
Or:
E. Other.
... and then proceeds to undertake conflict resolution (AKA: beating the ever-living-sh** out the bad guy). This is how werewolves differ from, say zombies or the aliens from Aliens. The latter creatures are both possessed of greatly enhanced attributes, but at least singly are not much of a threat. They have to swarm an even mildly equipped character to pose a credible threat (ie: using numbers and kamikazi tactics to substitute for an immunity to mundane weaponry). Granted, a character without regeneration can still pose as a terrifying antagonist, but the protagonist has to be essentially defenseless (ala Ripley in Alien 1).
Not if the antagonist is clever, though. Werewolves are possessed of multiple (at least two) forms and can use them in interesting ways. That chick in Dog Soldiers really f*** up a bunch of soldiers by leading them on with the pretense that she was a human like them. A werewolf could similarly mask themselves as a human and use it to pick off people whilst alone. Even some hulking marine with a man portable minigun can't do much if he caught off guard.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Yes, but I think you just made my point for me. The werewolves in Dog Soldiers had regeneration. That's why they were a threat in the first place.

The best werewolf movie ever, by the way. "There was only supposed to be one!" Absolute gold. :)
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Yes, but I think you just made my point for me. The werewolves in Dog Soldiers had regeneration. That's why they were a threat in the first place.

The best werewolf movie ever, by the way. "There was only supposed to be one!" Absolute gold. :)
Yeah, my favorite.

But their regeneration wasn't why they were such a threat. It was that they were a pack working together. Only a few were visibly shown getting hit. Under the conditions they put the soldiers they could easily have pulled the same result off without regen. They had limited ammo, low visibility, no chance for backup, and a wolf in their midst as well as a wounded.

Part of me still doesn't get why they even bothered with the house though. Given that they DID have regen they could've screwed the house plan and chased them through the woods, trusting on higher endurance and nigh-invulnerability to catch up.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Okay, true. They didn't show the werewolves getting hit, but especially in the first scene when they're getting chased through the woods, you could hear them getting hit. Without regeneration, the handful of werewolves up against a squad of British infantry armed with MP-5 submachine guns wouldn't stand a chance. The only reason that the werewolves posed a significant threat was that no matter how many bullets they could rip into the weres with, it would only slow them down. The werewolves would heal it off in minutes and be right back at it.
licantroleon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: the pondering werewolf
Mood: RAR!

Post by licantroleon »

i would say that injuries in human form would carry to werewolf from. Wouldnt it be wierd if like while shifting a arm just pops out of that armless shoulder. HMMMM. itd be more like. NIGHT OF THE REGENERATING WEREWOLF! Wierd for me. SO anyways that wat i tink
Now playing: Okamiden
licantroleon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: the pondering werewolf
Mood: RAR!

Post by licantroleon »

[quote="Dreamer"]Dear god, please stop pretending to be a werewolf. It comes off with you looking like a little kid play-acting on teh interwebz. If you're going to do it, at least try to do it well like Werewolf_Keeper.

And that goes for the rest of you too.

:EDIT: Please delete this double post.

Redeye: I did. You can, too; use the delete in the edit function.[/quote]
what dreamer just said is prettty true too. I guess. I mean if youre gonna act like one then do it more i dont know. say realisticly? I mean come on. :(
Now playing: Okamiden
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

licantroleon wrote:i would say that injuries in human form would carry to werewolf from. Wouldnt it be wierd if like while shifting a arm just pops out of that armless shoulder. HMMMM. itd be more like. NIGHT OF THE REGENERATING WEREWOLF! Wierd for me. SO anyways that wat i tink
While re-growing a whole arm is silly, regenerating wounds and such actually makes a good deal of sense.

A shift already is going to a lot of cellular activity - growth, division, etc. It'd not only make sense but also be advantageous to the whole shifting process if the werewolf's body utilized this period of intense growth and activity to close up any holes it's prey has been putting in it's hide.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

The way it works in most stories is like this:
Something that is injured... recently... is healed in the process. This excludes things like amputations and suchlike, because they are healed, not new and stingy.

One can see a Werewolf deliberately shifting to do a fast heal on things like bruises and cracked bones if they are "fresh", and broken bones would be at least semi-healed in the process because of the mitosis and general re-mapping going on.

Old stuff and things that have started making scar tissue won't heal, largely because the Were's body has given up on healing them and started the "patch-over" of scarification.
And all the re-mapping in the world won't fix dead...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Now I tend to still think of werewolves in the "traditional" role of the hollywood monster antagonist, so I might be drifting off topic a bit, but... The werewolf as the bad guy is a signature character that is frightening for (among other things) the twin abilities of great power (speed, physical strength, etc.) and near invulnerability. The werewolf just doesn't represent much of a threat to a protagonist without regeneration. The lead character simply pulls out:
A. A gun.
B. A knife.
C. A crowbar.
Or:
E. Other.
... and then proceeds to undertake conflict resolution (AKA: beating the ever-living-sh** out the bad guy).
That's assuming the bad guy actually puts him in a position to be beaten the ever-living-sh** out of.

I'm personally more partial to werewolves with the human element: the capacity to fill either the hero or monster role, but when antagonists, I think of them as more rational, cunning antagonists; something that would know better than to charge a guy with a gun head on, that could effectively spar one on one against a guy with a knife/crowbar, or could just avoid a head-on conflict altogether by sneaking up on him or setting up a trap or an ambush (like the werewolf in Dog Soldiers that waited in the back seat of the car for one of the soldiers to try and hotwire it).

A werewolf doesn't need to regenerate a bullet wound if it can avoid being shot altogether.

Something else you might want to consider: just because something may not regenerate from a wound does not mean it cannot tolerate it. Remember the or chief from LotR: Fellowship of the Ring (click here), or that monster-guy that fought with the Immortals in 300 (click here)? In spite of everything that was done to those two, and of the fact that all of their wounds were 100% permanent, they pressed the attack right up until Aragon and Leonidas finally sent their heads rolling. If your only aim is to make a werewolf that's absolutely scary as hell, it doesn't need to regenerate. Just being relentless is scary enough.

Me personally, however, I do buy into the regeneration thing, including the regrowing of missing limbs. . . Within reason. A shift from man to wolf would require some restructuring of the bones just like the rest of the body, so I figure there would be some room for regeneration. I agree with Outward's evaluation that a paw can't shift out of a hand that isn't there, so I think an instantaneous regrowing of a severed limb (like the kind Quinn in Blade demonstrates) would be too big of a stretch. What I think would heal, however, is the breaking point; everything in the body is connected to something else, so just because it's been severed doesn't mean it's gone and forgotten. If a werewolf were severed at, say, the elbow, first the elbow would repair itself which would leave the werewolf with an incomplete lower arm, then the lower arm would repair and leave the werewolf with an incomplete wrist, and so on and so forth until everything patches itself back up.

This is, of course, a long process. Like five to ten years probably; much longer than a crippled werewolf under normal circumstances would be expected to last for. That's how it is in my writing anyway; the werewolves think lost limbs will regenerate because they've observed some progress, but since crippled werewolves are typically either hunted down or outed shortly after being injured so, nobody's ever survived long enough to see if it really will fully heal or not.

As for cuts and bleeding, I usually assume those would heal naturally as a result of the lycanthropic regeneration in either form, but that depending on where they were cut, a werewolf may not be able to shift in or out until it heals. What I figure is that shifting would involve the stretching and condensing of certain body parts, so if a werewolf is cut in a certain place, it may either tear further or close shut during shifting. ABrownrigg mentioned that his werewolves typically have bloody cuticles on account of their nails growing, for example, so if a werewolf had cut his finger in human form right before shifting, it might bleed even more than usual. However, if he were shifting into full wolf form, the wound may close altogether as his fingers shrink and condense into a paw.

Not really a major concern for a werewolf. Just something it should keep in mind.