And can I get that without ice?

The place for anything at all...
The Lord Wolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: The Lord of Wolves

And can I get that without ice?

Post by The Lord Wolf »

This was a lot more controversial than I thought it would be on other forums, it's time to test it here.

I dislike putting ice in my drinks, unless it is water or lemonade. No, it isn't because that recent study says that the water restaurants use to make ice is 80% more germ infested thatntoilet water. I just think it quickly ruins the taste by watering it down. If it's :P hot outside and you just don't care, I can see that. But if you are at a restaurant and you buy a drink that is already cold, is there really a point to putting ice in it?
I AM the Lord of Wolves. Is that a problem?
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Re: And can I get that without ice?

Post by takyoji »

The Lord Wolf wrote:I just think it quickly ruins the taste by watering it down. If it's :P hot outside and you just don't care, I can see that. But if you are at a restaurant and you buy a drink that is already cold, is there really a point to putting ice in it?
I completely agree. I find it a bit senseless when it's filled with ice to the point where it's practically 50% of it is just ice rather than the beverage itself. xP
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

I like lots of ice.
Moss27
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Moon Hunter
Mood: Bored

Post by Moss27 »

I agree that filling cups all the way with ice is just another way of giving you less of the drink you want, but I like to eat the cubes, too. XD It's a way to grab the waiter's attention for a refill.
"I didn't do my homework, so why am I in trouble for something I didn't do?"
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I'm only annoyed by excessive ice when I can't get a free refill.

(Especially at zoos or amusement parks, when they charge a limb for a drink, I ALWAYS ask for no ice.)

Otherwise, the whole "toilet water study" doesn't stop me at all from drinking water at restaurants.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I like cold drinks. If they can be cold without ice then I'll drink them without ice. If not, bring on the cubes. I hate it when something's nothing but ice though. With the exception of maybe...water.
The Lord Wolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by The Lord Wolf »

I usualy drink mine slowly when I am busy, so having it without ice is quite useful. The drink, if left inside, will stay cold for hours and the taste lasts much longer than it would with ice.
cjkrythos
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Full Moon Librarian

Post by cjkrythos »

I get my own ice with good old ice trays and several levels to a water filtration system.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Personally ... though I understand your argument, and agree that not being given the choice to NOT have your cup filled with Ice if you don't want it would be very irritating ... there are very, very few drinks that I do not think actually taste far MORE refreshing when they are considerably watered down.

When you are thirsty, your body is asking for WATER (pure water that is not already saturated with something else), and when you drink Water instead of Soda or Lemonade or Energy Drinks or whatever, you feel much more refreshed and satisfied when you reach the bottom of the cup. ( ... at least I do ... )

Over the years, I actually found myself asking for More and MORE ice at restaurants until finally, whenever I have the option, I stopped ordering flavored drinks entirely and just drink ICE WATER.
(With the exception of meals that go well With Fruit Juice or Milk, and I enjoy RootBeer with Picnic food Like Hot-Dogs and Hamburgers ... with lot's of cool, refreshing ICE in my Sarsaparilla)

Otherwise, flavored drinks of most any kind I consider and treat as DESSERT (like Fruity/Citrus Sodas, Fruit Punch, Lemonade, Tang, etc.), and almost never drink with a meal, but only between meals as glasses of liquid candy...with LOT'S of Ice.

(I normally drink those kinds of beverages so fast that It's all gone before the ice melts, or if it isn't then it would have been warm by then if the ice was not there, and then I will suck on the remaining ice cubes for a while to wash out the sugary, syrupy, chocolaty, whatever-y flavor out of my mouth, which turns into an unpleasant aftertaste if left to linger too long. ... which is why I HATE all Cola's)

I sympathize with your argument and position ... but am personally quite content with being served a glass that is 75% frozen water (ice), and 25% flavored drink
Last edited by Vuldari on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
OukaHowls
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Howling all the time...
Mood: Happy
Location: In my dog's pen. Playing and feeding them. ( lot's of dog food, believe me. I have 20 dogs...)

Post by OukaHowls »

I hate ice in my 'Dr Pepper'. ( I am known in my town as the DP Queen!! I even have a shirt, hat, and pillow with the DP Insignia on it.)
It always waters it down. I don't mind having ice in any other drink, even milk and coffee( iced ).
( Weird though, I am called Ouka Moka by may friends and family.. :D I have to have a White Chocolate Moka( Iced ) every morning. Otherwise I can't get up. :D )
" May the darkness never scare you, but calm you through the night..."
The Lord Wolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by The Lord Wolf »

Regular coffee with Marshmallow Mocha cream and a little sugar. It keeps me going, but the idea of coffee being anything other than 3rd degree burn hot is a concept I do not grasp. I never liked iced coffee or cold coffee because it reminds me of hot coffee that has lingered too long and gone cold. And I can't imagine anything that would taste worse when watered down with ice than coffee or Milk.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I'm not a big ice fan myself. I hate it when you order a drink and they put in a big pile of ice. I paid for the soda, not big ice cubes that take up all the space. Watered down drinks(besides water ;)) are nasty. If its already cold or cool, I prefer maybe three cubes of ice or nothing at all. The only time I'll put more ice in a glass is if the soda or whatever is warm.