More moderators needed?

The place to discuss things relating specifically to The Pack

Would it be reasonable to find a few more moderators?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 22

takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

More moderators needed?

Post by takyoji »

Personally I think we need a few more moderators. We have less than half the moderators/administrators than we used to have. Figarou used to be an administrator about a year or so ago, but stepped down from the position after becoming very busy. LoboLEO disappeared and I'm not sure how active he was in administrating the forum. Shadow Wulf moved to a new location where he can't get reasonable internet service and has been very busy. Anthony hasn't logged on for over a month. And the rest of us (moderators and admins) are getting rather busy as well.

Tasks we would require new moderators for would include:
  • Moderating the forum and checking over posts
  • Verifying new users' posts (moderation queue)
  • Taking part in private discussions regarding what actions to take in debatable situations
  • Faster reaction time (as a whole) in regards of finding topics/posts that should be warned/locked/deleted
  • Creating a more stable and inviting social environment (such as getting rid of members that are irritating everyone
So. This leads me to the question: Do you think it would be reasonable to find more moderators?
And if so, what do you think should be the approach in regards of choosing who gets to be a moderator?
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Warrior Hero
Additional Details: Email: werewolfwarrior@ymail.com

http://myspace.com/werewolfwarrior

Main Grid Second Life Name: Alexie Borgin.
Mood: Excited

Re: More moderators needed?

Post by Werewolf Warrior »

I would have to agree.
Werewolf Nation Leader

If any of you wish to join us in Second Life please do, and if you want to you can join our site at http://www.werewolfnation.webs.com/index.htm
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I say yes.

You/we should nominate members that have been here a while/still visit and post regulary and/or if they show maturity and are good with dealing with those types of situations.
Then see what nominees would be willing to actually do it and what not :D
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

You're right, given that quite a few moderators here are gone, we need replacements. Choose people who don't make posts that should be warned/locked/deleted in the first place, and who browse the forums every day looking for new posts anyway.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Didn't know we had a shortage. If ya need help a few more people wouldn't hurt.
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

I say yes. As for how to choose these new moderators, I think a nomination method should suffice, followed by a (anonymous?) vote.
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Well it depends if the people nominated for it would be EXTREAMLY active or not. However with me I would at least try if I didn't have computer problems.
Werewolf Nation Leader

If any of you wish to join us in Second Life please do, and if you want to you can join our site at http://www.werewolfnation.webs.com/index.htm
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

I vote yes. Change is good and needed and some frsh blood in the staff ranks will do the forum a world of good.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I'd like to see less nominating (I'm DONE with elections now, thankyouverymuch) and more volunteering.

Any member who exibits maturity and is willing to put in the time to check everysinglepost everysingleday is a viable option for becoming a moderator. The more, the merrier.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Last edited by Midnight on Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

Well either way we should set up a list of names for people who want to have a go at this. They should have over 150, been on for 6 months and at least have been semi active as said. I would be willing if you want me to but I will just see how we do this first.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

Midnight wrote:I'd prefer that one was phrased "encouraging members who are irritating everyone to start contributing usefully".
I bought that up on the chat, the original wording may have too many meanings, what is annoying? All depends.

The above would work.
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Re:

Post by Spongy »

Xiroteus wrote:
Midnight wrote:I'd prefer that one was phrased "encouraging members who are irritating everyone to start contributing usefully".
I bought that up on the chat, the original wording may have too many meanings, what is annoying? All depends.

The above would work.
Second. The members dont have to be removed, just told to contribute in a better way.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Hmm. On this I'd sway towards moderators being chosen by the existing admins, based upon mutual trust. It's how we've done it in the past, and it's worked rather well, if I don't say so myself.

(I'm lazy, and will dodge most attempts to make me moderate)..
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary

I guess we have to vote.
Werewolf Nation Leader

Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Werewolf Warrior wrote:I guess we have to vote.

That would be one way of roping me in...
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary

:)
Werewolf Nation Leader

Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!

Post by Gevaudan »

I vote yes. We should first compile a list of everyone who wants to take time to contribute and be a moderator, and then get the existing admins (or possibly the forum members) to vote based on maturity, time spent and amount of posts on the forums, past effort, and current schedules.
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

Midnight wrote:
takyoji wrote:[*]Creating a more stable and inviting social environment (such as getting rid of members that are irritating everyone
I'd prefer that one was phrased "encouraging members who are irritating everyone to start contributing usefully".

Otherwise I've already got a couple of suggestions of people who might be able to help: PariahPoet and Howlitzer. (I know Howlz is a bit busy at the moment though.)
Thanks for the nomination, Midnight. :)

I am a bit busy at this time, but I'd try to put in whatever time I can.

In terms of this whole moderator choice thing...I agree. We need more moderators who are willing to do the job (or at least have a good idea as to what needs to be done), and we need to "encourage members who are irritating everyone to start contributing usefully" as Midnight re-phrased there.

Flat-out trying to get rid of irritating members might satisfy some people in the short term, but it's not going to make any friends in the long term...and it probably will make things worse in the long term. Like enemies...which are bad when they have minions.

Personally though, I'm fed up with the result of influxes of irritating members (and I shall name no names, this is a general complaint for any forum I'm at)....particularly those who are oblivious (or seemingly so) to how irritating they actually are. This makes things awkward for more other serious members, particularly ones who have been here longer....and it makes them want to leave. Making other serious members want to leave is exactly the OPPOSITE of contributing usefully. It makes serious members leave, and leaves irritating, immature members behind. Eventually the forum only has a minor semblance of order and stability, and most of the serious members aren't there anymore....just the ones who spew randomness. That kills forums.

This is not the way it should work.

The worst part about it is, these types of people don't necessarily directly attack or insult members, and thus it's dubious at best as to what people should actually DO about their level of disruption in the forum, since they aren't always really breaking any serious rules. But the fact remains that they DO cause problems.

If you, for example:
- Cannot distinguish between an RPG thread and a thread for serious conversation, and insert RPG randomness into a serious conversation.
- Show no regard for the actual topic at hand... as in, you didn't even read any posts in the thread before posting.
- Show little or no effort in the grammatical accuracy of your post.
- Show little or no effort in how much sense your post ACTUALLY MAKES.
- Can't post above the quality and intelligence level of the average YouTube video comment.
- Derail serious threads with needless levels of angst....particularly pre-adolescent angst.
- Post anything in the category "ZOMG I'M A REAL WEREWOLF WHAT SHOULD I DOOOO?!?!?!?!1!shift+one!!"
- Have pointless myspace conversations in random areas of the forum...seriously guys, IM, Email, and Myspace are for this...not this forum.

It makes serious members do this:
- O.o
- *headpalms*
- *sighs*
- Erm...ok then.
- *awkwardly stares at random post, then doesn't reply*

And thus these members impede the likelihood that a serious member will continue to contribute usefully. Over time, people just leave if it's too annoying or awkward.

If you do this...you should learn to NOT do this if you want to stay here. If you don't, then there should be consequences.

If you are the type to cite free-speech as an excuse as to why we "can't tell you what to do"....then you quite certainly shouldn't be here. People who cite free speech as a mere excuse to be annoying without any consequences to themselves are, by definition, assholes.

Free speech is a good thing....people who take advantage of it for pointlessly irritating purposes make free speech look like a bad thing though. If you fall into this category you need to do some thinking and solve some personal problems before you post here.

I'm not for just kicking people out simply because they've been annoying and I don't like them, but I am for getting rid of people who over time show a complete unwillingness to NOT be like the types of disruptive members I've described above. I'd like it to be brutally clear what level of respect and consideration (beyond the usual written rules) people should learn to have in order to be here. Respect and consideration is not a bad thing, nor should it be an enormous inconvenience for anybody to learn to utilize.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

I think Howlitzer just wrote a new set of forum guidelines.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Yeah, sometimes I'm thankful this forum is the way it is, compared to other forums where they have nothing but the "I'm a real werewolf" garbage.
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary

lol XD I nominate myself.
Werewolf Nation Leader

Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

If I nominate Howlitzer, will it make me safe from being nominated by somebody else?
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

Baphnedia wrote:If I nominate Howlitzer, will it make me safe from being nominated by somebody else?
Nominating the Wolf icons will also allow you to be safe. :D
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I nominate Howlitzer as well :D
:howl:  :oo