How tall should they be?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

How tall, relatively speaking, should the male and female werewolves be?

6 feet
23%
7 feet
48%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
19%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
9%

Total votes: 64

Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:
Trinity wrote:So, I am along the lines of taller is not cooler. That is indeed my opinion. :) *smiles*
Ummm..you know that everyone has a different way of saying something, right?

Someone could be use to the word "taller." He may say that instead of "bigger." "Taller" doesn't always mean "skinnier." The english language can be confusing at times. :wink:
I have been assuming that "Taller" was meaning BIGGER overall, and not just longer legs and arms.
Lupin wrote:That entire post was an opnion. I thought I made that clear by saying "I want" and "I think.

"Edit: Not to mention that calling sometthing 'cool' tends to be a statement of opnion, and not one of fact.
I appologize for overreacting to your choice of words Lupin.

I think I just need to accept that I am in a minority opinion in not prefering werewolves to look like hulking beasts.

*sigh*
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Trinity wrote: *tosses a dukie at Figarou*

*hits it back with the tail*

Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

the foot would strecth thus adding almost a foot in length.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

Meh. The foot may strech, but the thigh and calf would have to shorten to compensate. Otherwise you'd get a long legged werewolf. o.o
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I voted 8 feet but that's because I think 7.5' would be a good workable tallness factor. More importantly...what are the proportions? Where's the height? Is it leggy? Long body, shortish legs with the thighs being shorter than the cannon/metatarsal? Short thighs contributes to speediness. If you had a werewolf with long legs, it'd look like a giraffe running, deceptively slow, whereas if the legs were as long or slightly shorter than the torso it'd have a more scrabbly, energetic look to it.

Either would be scary. Wolves have incredible stamina. A leggy werewolf launches itself in pursuit after a target, the target runs away pellmell and outpaces the werewolf — at first. He'd escape long enough to think he got away — and then the leggy werewolf hits his stride and comes pelting round the corner at full tilt and is all over the target like a juggernaut.

Maybe earlier in their history werewolves might have been taller, particularly if they came from country stock and spent a lot of time outdoors; then I could see a nine-footer. Werewolves that were born and raised in urban environments would probably be shorter, around seven feet tall. 'Twould be rather anticlimactic if you go through a transformation, head for the door, and bang your head on the lintel...

For god's sake, though, make the frame wolfish! Wolves aren't really massive, they're rangy and vigourous. Some of the illustrations in Werewolf:the Apocalypse looked like bears (excusing the Gurahl).
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

Vrikasatma wrote:
Either would be scary. Wolves have incredible stamina. A leggy werewolf launches itself in pursuit after a target, the target runs away pellmell and outpaces the werewolf — at first. He'd escape long enough to think he got away — and then the leggy werewolf hits his stride and comes pelting round the corner at full tilt and is all over the target like a juggernaut.
Dude that gave me chills. o.o *giggles* Nice.
Vrikasatma wrote:I voted 8 feet but that's because I think 7.5' would be a good workable tallness factor. More importantly...what are the proportions? Where's the height? Is it leggy? Long body, shortish legs with the thighs being shorter than the cannon/metatarsal? Short thighs contributes to speediness. If you had a werewolf with long legs, it'd look like a giraffe running, deceptively slow, whereas if the legs were as long or slightly shorter than the torso it'd have a more scrabbly, energetic look to it.
But then is the height -all in teh legs ( like Dog Soldiers ) or in teh legs and torso both?
Vrikasatma wrote:
Maybe earlier in their history werewolves might have been taller, particularly if they came from country stock and spent a lot of time outdoors; then I could see a nine-footer. Werewolves that were born and raised in urban environments would probably be shorter, around seven feet tall. 'Twould be rather anticlimactic if you go through a transformation, head for the door, and bang your head on the lintel...
*thud* hahahaha! sorry. :) But keeping to a more "realistic" and "naturalistic" process, where would the extra come from? How much is changed? Does the mass stay the same? the weight?

what streaches to give teh added height besides the legs?

I know humans have different body types as well. My one exbf had an exceedingly short torso compared to my own, but our legs were the same height. So I am at least an inch taller then he. I've had other firends of mine who had the same torso length, but were long-limbed.

Could we add various heights to the different werewolves? i think that would look nice. :)

What percentage of the human form's height is that of the werewolf final height? Would there be one, or would there be a height cap on all werewolves?
Vrikasatma wrote: For god's sake, though, make the frame wolfish! Wolves aren't really massive, they're rangy and vigourous. Some of the illustrations in Werewolf:the Apocalypse looked like bears (excusing the Gurahl).

Here here!!
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

I'll have to mess around on the sketchpad tomorrow (it's almost time for this wolf to hit the sack and the feline symbiont is howling at me), but I've had this visual of a gestalt form with equi-proportioned legs and torso, with the femurs being the shortest leg bone aside from the fetlocks.
:read2:

Personally, though, I like the look of leggy werewolves. The Silent Striders were my favourite W:tA tribe. The build-up-speed-slowly-to-an-inexorable-crescendo scenario sounds better the more I think about it :)

Where does the mass come from? Gods, that's a whole other discussion right there. Have you ever seen wolves after they've eaten? They can do nothing except lie on their backs with these hugely-distended bellies full of meat. Personally I thought that lycanthropy might be somewhat related to cancer in that it's anabolism running riot and the body of the werewolf just speeds up the anabolic process. It might explain the "ravening predator" tendency: they need to feast on flesh to transform it into their wereforms; when they shift back, the extra flesh is lost and they can't shift again until after they gorge.
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

Vrikasatma wrote:I'll have to mess around on the sketchpad tomorrow (it's almost time for this wolf to hit the sack and the feline symbiont is howling at me), but I've had this visual of a gestalt form with equi-proportioned legs and torso, with the femurs being the shortest leg bone aside from the fetlocks.
:read2:

Personally, though, I like the look of leggy werewolves. The Silent Striders were my favourite W:tA tribe. The build-up-speed-slowly-to-an-inexorable-crescendo scenario sounds better the more I think about it :)

Where does the mass come from? Gods, that's a whole other discussion right there. Have you ever seen wolves after they've eaten? They can do nothing except lie on their backs with these hugely-distended bellies full of meat. Personally I thought that lycanthropy might be somewhat related to cancer in that it's anabolism running riot and the body of the werewolf just speeds up the anabolic process. It might explain the "ravening predator" tendency: they need to feast on flesh to transform it into their wereforms; when they shift back, the extra flesh is lost and they can't shift again until after they gorge.
*chuckles*

I'm a Fianna/Get/BoneGnawer fan myself. ;)

But I too am in favor of the build up of speed. Then again it reminds me of how tractor-trailers work. Once they hit speed, its hard for them to stop. If somethign gets in their way, its demolished.

Its also much like any of teh big predators, they build up speed and use that, plus their momentum to take down prey. With the rage and passion in the instinct for the hunt, I can see that as being terribly devestating. In fact..,

I can see two werewolve going at each other in a simialr fashion. The "Clash of teh titans" if you will. You see this in sever domiance displays where the wolves take all of their effort and body mass and -salm- into each other. Lions are better at it, and look far more impressive.

*shivers* Gives me chills, its so creepy. I'm loving it!

Wolves in summer coats do tend to look legger then in winter coats. But having them the "leggy" style of Dog Soldiers made my brain bleed. >.<

I'd be glad to see your version, and woul dlove to see the internal work up of it too. :D

Have a good night. :)
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I voted for 8 b/c 9 is too tall and 7 is too short, IMO. Most ceilings are 8 or 9 feet, so having them 8 feet would be perfect I think. But as long as they're at least 7 I'll be ok :wink:
Sheyenne
Custom Title: Mmm... Coca Cola...

Post by Sheyenne »

I voted for 7 feet (no, I didn't copy everyone else, I didn't look) also, as it's not too short yet not too tall. I don't think the werewolf has to be liekomgreallytallomgwtfbbq and all. As said, the average human is referred to as 6 feet tall, so perhaps the werewolf would be at least a foot taller than that, with the digitigrade legs and all.

(Woo, first post xD)
::Shey::
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Sheyenne wrote:I voted for 7 feet (no, I didn't copy everyone else, I didn't look) also, as it's not too short yet not too tall. I don't think the werewolf has to be liekomgreallytallomgwtfbbq and all. As said, the average human is referred to as 6 feet tall, so perhaps the werewolf would be at least a foot taller than that, with the digitigrade legs and all.

(Woo, first post xD)

:welcome:

I like my werewolves to be at least 9 feet tall. Any taller and they are to big.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Figarou wrote:
Sheyenne wrote:I voted for 7 feet (no, I didn't copy everyone else, I didn't look) also, as it's not too short yet not too tall. I don't think the werewolf has to be liekomgreallytallomgwtfbbq and all. As said, the average human is referred to as 6 feet tall, so perhaps the werewolf would be at least a foot taller than that, with the digitigrade legs and all.

(Woo, first post xD)

:welcome:

I like my werewolves to be at least 9 feet tall. Any taller and they are to big.
Then why did you say "at least" making it sound like they needed to be taller ??
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Fenrir wrote: Then why did you say "at least" making it sound like they needed to be taller ??

I said "my" werewolves. As in "my character."

Comprende?

:ducktoss3:
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

My personal werewolves are roughly 7-8 feet. 8 feet being the tallest. Because... think about it. Wouldn't something being 8 feet tall be more than enough to make some one piss their pants? Especially when that something has claws and teeth ready to tear you apart?

But than again that's my opinion.... *retreats back into her corner*
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Wolfhanyou wrote:My personal werewolves are roughly 7-8 feet. 8 feet being the tallest. Because... think about it. Wouldn't something being 8 feet tall be more than enough to make some one piss their pants? Especially when that something has claws and teeth ready to tear you apart?

Everyone has thier opinion, likes, and dislikes. I'm not forcing anyone to like a werewolf thats nine feet tall. I just happen to like them very big. But not Gigantic. (As in 100 feet tall.)
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Wait a minute...100 feet tall? That would be cool :o

Wolf-zilla stomping through downtown Portland, fording the Willamette River and looking for a nice geodesic dome to bat around! Just keep him going east, keep him away from Tillamook or we won't have any cheese and yoghurt next year!! :lol:

Wulfdan Bends-the-Mighty-Trees looks up from his hut and snarls, "Dammit. I liked being the biggest wolf in town!"
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Wolfhanyou wrote:My personal werewolves are roughly 7-8 feet. 8 feet being the tallest. Because... think about it. Wouldn't something being 8 feet tall be more than enough to make some one piss their pants? Especially when that something has claws and teeth ready to tear you apart?
Yep. I figure anything that's 'taller than you' is just going to add to the scarynees.
Figarou wrote:Everyone has thier opinion, likes, and dislikes. I'm not forcing anyone to like a werewolf thats nine feet tall. I just happen to like them very big. But not Gigantic. (As in 100 feet tall.)
Giant fighting robots should be 100 fett tall. Not werewolves.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

Figarou wrote:

Everyone has thier opinion, likes, and dislikes. I'm not forcing anyone to like a werewolf thats nine feet tall. I just happen to like them very big. But not Gigantic. (As in 100 feet tall.)
Aye aye. I apologize if I sounded like I was complaining/ being close minded. I don't think before I type at times.
Lupin wrote: Giant fighting robots should be 100 fett tall. Not werewolves.
What about that one giant gorilla in "Super Monkey Team Force Go" (whatever it's called)? :lol:
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I agree, hamburgers are most certainly not a viable substitute for steak.

Also, I am not in favor of 7 because I figure a werewolf should be taller than the tallest human, and there was one guy who was eight feet tall one time. So actually, I might be leaning toward nine now...
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Figarou wrote:
Fenrir wrote: Then why did you say "at least" making it sound like they needed to be taller ??

Comprende?

Nope not really if your werewolves should atleast be 9 feet tall why don't you want them bigger ?? :P
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Fenrir wrote:Nope not really if your werewolves should atleast be 9 feet tall why don't you want them bigger ?? :P

He'll have to get his ceiling raised?
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Fenrir wrote:
Figarou wrote:

Comprende?

Nope not really if your werewolves should atleast be 9 feet tall why don't you want them bigger ?? :P

I don't want the werewolf to be 100 feet tall. If the werewolf is 10 feet tall, then thats ok. 13 feet is also fine. 20 feet is going to far.

Now do you understand?

:knockedout:
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Sorta ya, but the at least part was confusing :(

-Satyricon
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Average human height/weight:

Male - 5'9" = 121-163
Female - 5'4" = 108-144
Where the hell did you get those numbers from? 108 is tiny, and most women aren't little twig people. I myself am 5"3' and nearly 200 pounds. I'm not a whale but I am by no means even close to being a twig. My mother is about 5"8', and taller than nearly all of the men around here. Sorry, but that average just doesn't seem realistic to me.

7, 8, 9 foot tall werewolves... Gah! Do you have any idea how HUGE 7 feet is? Especially to a little short woman like me? 6 feet is really tall. More than that for someone who wasn't that tall to begin with is just rediculous. Things don't need to be big to be scary or intimidating. Take the wolverine for example. Nothing messes with a wolverine. It's small, but fierce. Even the mountain lions stay away from them.
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

Reiluna wrote:
Average human height/weight:

Male - 5'9" = 121-163
Female - 5'4" = 108-144
Where the hell did you get those numbers from? 108 is tiny, and most women aren't little twig people. I myself am 5"3' and nearly 200 pounds. I'm not a whale but I am by no means even close to being a twig. My mother is about 5"8', and taller than nearly all of the men around here. Sorry, but that average just doesn't seem realistic to me.

7, 8, 9 foot tall werewolves... Gah! Do you have any idea how HUGE 7 feet is? Especially to a little short woman like me? 6 feet is really tall. More than that for someone who wasn't that tall to begin with is just rediculous. Things don't need to be big to be scary or intimidating. Take the wolverine for example. Nothing messes with a wolverine. It's small, but fierce. Even the mountain lions stay away from them.
No 5'3 and 96 lbs is tiny. My roomie at college was just that, a stick.
Unless you are mostly fit and full of muscle, which the -average- person is not, being between 110 and 115 isn't unheard of fo rsome one 5'3"

I got that off a Medical site of all things.

I am 5'9" and well over weight. I've been down to 140 and had been far to thin for my height and body configuration. I know for a fact that I should be no more then 150, when fit and in th ebest shape I've ever been in. I'm not overly thin, I have muscle ( meat ) on my bones, and I don't have an excess of body fat either. I can fit inot size 14 jeans tightly, adn size 16 easily.

That's what My proper heigth weight should be. As fo now I'm well over weight and I know it because its hard to get up off couches and move around or walk up steep inclines. I'm currently at 225lbs and sick at myself for letting myself get this way. :P