How tall should they be?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

How tall, relatively speaking, should the male and female werewolves be?

6 feet
23%
7 feet
48%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
19%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
9%

Total votes: 64

NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

How tall should they be?

Post by NightmareHero »

This depends I think on the Plot and design also of the werewolf. If they are digigrade Bipedals, and their spine and bone structure are widend and enlarged by the transformation, then they could be of a vastly size. However there is such a thing as too much.

So I'm going to make this a poll If you have any further comments or reasons why they should be a particular height while standing up, post them here....
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

I'm going for around 8 feet. The foot itself off the ground could add another foot onto the werewolf. That with the added body mass could easilly push it up there between 8-9 feet in height. Also, its more intimidating/majestic when you portray tall subjects.

Also, that and coupled with that fact that I don't think anyone would really take a small werewolf (sub 6') seriously.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I think they would on average be about 7 ft tall. After transformed, the werewolf would be taller because of digigrade feet and other factors. They should grow about another foot taller. So a 6 ft human would be a 7 ft werewolf. a 5 something ft human would be a little less than 7 ft.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I don't think werewolves need to be giganticly tall. Some hight increase would be good, (5'7"-6'5"...6'2"-7'0"), but not 9 feet tall.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

6 ft. is what we typically attribute to be the average human height, so a werewolf would have to be at least a foot taller in order to meet some of the strength and anatomy requirements that have already been determined. Ultimately though, I'd say height wouldn't be that big an issue since it's not only unlikely that a werewolf would be able to stand perfectly straight, but it would also look a little on the corny side if they could. They'd likely be between six to eight feet in length from nose to their footpads, but their anatomy would prevent them from standing at that full height.
Sporty Fox
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Sporty Fox »

Hight should depend on the initial size of the affected person. In changing the skeletal structure to a more lupine build there would be no need for an increase in hight. Even in a digi/biped with an elongated angle reach, the upper leg bone in a canid is shorter for it's body length versus the human equivalant, so where some bones grows others will shorten. If the person only grows larger and hairier, then it's not a werewolf, it's a linebacker with fur IMHO.
akujiwolf

Post by akujiwolf »

interesting. I don't really know what the size is. That's going to be factored in later. :) All depends on what the director wants really. But keep throwin it out cause I haven't even thought of height. Though that is an issue...
~Request Entertainment Member~ (we get T-Shirts!) Also if there is a problem that you feel needs to be addressed please contact me immediately.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

9 feet tall, definitly too big, except for maybe movies that're supposed to be a bit rediculess.

Anyhow, unless this person is already pushing 7 feet in human form, I would say that 7 feet is about the realistic maximum. Go much taller then that and I think it'd start getting a bit silly.

Though, the idea of a werewolf barely making 5 feet and one 7 feet tall standing next to eachother, does have a certain charm. Especially if the little one's making all sorts of noise and stuff, trying to compensate for his small stature.
Treads Lightly
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Treads Lightly »

In wolf society the largest wolf isn’t “always” the alpha. Being alpha is more about attitude.

I would like to see some variance, but I agree that 9 foot is too big. I would think that since a wolf standing on two legs and a human are roughly the same size, it wouldn't make much sense for a combination to be much bigger than either one. 7ft. max in my opinion. An 8 footer would be a basketball player for sure. :)
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightmareHero »

Hmm, an intimadating woman. Imagine some tall guy trying to rape/mug a girl in some alley, the guy is six feet tall, but when the girl transforms, she's seven feet tall, and she puts her hands on her hips, wags her tail, and bears her teeth slightly without grinning..... 8)
Goldenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Yes, -that- Goldenwolf

Post by Goldenwolf »

I think it depends on the gender. Females would be somewhere around 7 feet, and males would be around 8 feet. Nothing scarier than a monster who is also taller and bigger than you ;)
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Goldenwolf wrote:I think it depends on the gender. Females would be somewhere around 7 feet, and males would be around 8 feet. Nothing scarier than a monster who is also taller and bigger than you ;)
What about that 6 inch long scorpion with a deadly sting, and that talks just like Jane Fonda?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Goldenwolf wrote:I think it depends on the gender. Females would be somewhere around 7 feet, and males would be around 8 feet. Nothing scarier than a monster who is also taller and bigger than you ;)
What about that 6 inch long scorpion with a deadly sting, and that talks just like Jane Fonda?
Oh man. Now thats scary!!! :lol:

I know one thing, these werewolves seem quite small compared to White-Wolf. I read the specs of "Golgol Fangs-First" in one of thier sourcebooks. Says he is 13 feet tall in Crions form. :shock:

And that anime, Vampire hunter D, the werewolf was so big, it could carry a horse off in its mouth. :shock:

The strangest size of all was in one of the Howling movies. I think its called The Howling: marsupials. They over did it on the size of one werewolf. Talk about stupid.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

I firmly have an issue in regards to a fifteen foot tall werewolf. It takes away the realism for me. I want to see 'what IF werewolves REALLY existed".. at that point, even the most moonstruck folks would have to start wondering if all their previous theories are correct, or weather or not to run.

Werewolves should be slightly taller than the person they transform from I think.. and YES, if a midget was bitten, they would be maybe a few inches taller.. and oh so cute.

Anthony Brownrigg
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

ABrownrigg wrote:I firmly have an issue in regards to a fifteen foot tall werewolf. It takes away the realism for me. I want to see 'what IF werewolves REALLY existed".. at that point, even the most moonstruck folks would have to start wondering if all their previous theories are correct, or weather or not to run.

Werewolves should be slightly taller than the person they transform from I think.. and YES, if a midget was bitten, they would be maybe a few inches taller.. and oh so cute.

Anthony Brownrigg
awwww...a puppy!!! :P
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

ABrownrigg wrote:I firmly have an issue in regards to a fifteen foot tall werewolf. It takes away the realism for me. I want to see 'what IF werewolves REALLY existed".. at that point, even the most moonstruck folks would have to start wondering if all their previous theories are correct, or weather or not to run.

Anthony Brownrigg
The talk of midgets and werewolves suddenly gave me a flashback concerning Howling 2, where "Stephan" was attacked by the zombie midget.
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

I think to make things more simple,verey werewolf is around 2 feet taller than the human form,that should balance things out.
"The Wolf in Me...desires the Sheep in you."
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

2 Feet?

That's a REALLY drastic increase in hieght.

And what if the Werewolf is already 7+ feet tall as a human? Then you get a 9+ foot tall werewolf.

I don't think many people actually REALIZE how big 7 feet tall is. It's IMMENSE, I'm 6.2 myself and I feel like a little kid when standing next to somebody 7 feet tall.

So unless there's a werewolf basketball player out there, I would say that, on the most drastic end, somebody 6.2 like me, would end up roughly 7 feet tall. A max increase of about 10 inches sounds about right to me.
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

yeah but what are the chances of having a 7 feet tall actor playing in the movie,they most probably all will be 5 to 6 feet tall average.
so it ll be a max of 8 feet for a 6 feet tall human.
If it's too much then i tink at least 1 foot would reasonable enough.
"The Wolf in Me...desires the Sheep in you."
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

I've hear somewhere that the average hieght for adult human males is roughly in the 5.8 to 5.10 range. I rarely meet people that're dramatically smaller then that.

So.... if a 5.8 foot human, gained 10 inches, they'd end up at 6.6, whereas a 5.10 human would end up at a whopping 6.8.

That's PLENTY tall when compared to most human males. Plus it has to be kept in mind that this is a realistic depiction of werewolves, based on what the director thinks real werewolves would look like. Reguler wolves arn't hulking bahemoths, so unless the human half of the equation is, it doesn't make sense to make werewolves into ones.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

WolvenOne wrote:2 Feet?

That's a REALLY drastic increase in hieght.

And what if the Werewolf is already 7+ feet tall as a human? Then you get a 9+ foot tall werewolf.

I don't think many people actually REALIZE how big 7 feet tall is. It's IMMENSE, I'm 6.2 myself and I feel like a little kid when standing next to somebody 7 feet tall.

So unless there's a werewolf basketball player out there, I would say that, on the most drastic end, somebody 6.2 like me, would end up roughly 7 feet tall. A max increase of about 10 inches sounds about right to me.
A) I would be tempted to pull out a tooth if it would with getting a chance to have Yao Ming star as a werewolf
B) What about the lengthing of the werewolf's feet as he shifts from human to wolfman form?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Apokryltaros wrote:...B) What about the lengthing of the werewolf's feet as he shifts from human to wolfman form?
The change of the foot goes hand in hand with a shift in standing posture as well. With Digitgrade feet, a werewolf can not stand with it's legs straight like a human can without falling over backwards, so I think it would gain very little in standing height from that, if any at all.

I still don't think the werewolves should get considerably taller. 7 feet IS quite gigantic. 9 feet would simply be rediculous.
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

I can see it now...

Midget: "Oh, man, now you're really ticked me off, buddy..." :shift:

Human: "WTF? What is this thing, a were-chihuahua?!"

Midget: :x *yap yap yap yap!!*
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+