Why more males than females?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Why more males than females?

Post by Rosiewolf »

In most werewolves novels and/or movies, there seems to be a vast number of male werewolves, but females werewolves are highly uncommon. I was wondering if this had something to do with the fact that the werewolf gene could be sex linked and that sex linked diseases are much more common in males than in females--this is from the fact that males only have one X chromosome. Just want to hear what your opinions are! :D
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
RongYao
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Believe in everything .

Re: Why more males than females?

Post by RongYao »

I've think that males going to hunt and females just watching the puppies .
:)
I really think that there have something in the dark , Im gonna check this out ... Ill be right back and dont panic if something going wrong or just dont go after me !
p.s. You dont need to know what happens .
My deviantart page
My furaffinity page
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

Hm... lycanthropy posed as an STD? Well, I can't see why not. In some stories it could simply be another transmission method, perhaps in a tale where the Werewolves weren't violent, they use sex primarily (except for rare cases) to transmit the virus, and that could be why it's easier for males. Females might have to undergo a blood transfusion or endure a bite, which they may be less inclined to.

It's certainly an interesting thought, thanks for sharing, it'll be interesting to see what takes people have on that.
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Undead Mutant Dinosaur

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

Well I think it's safe to assume that in most novels and movies a bite is the main method of transmission. I think it's also safe to assume that the bite happens during an attack. And to be perfectly frank it can be inferred that in most cases a man is more likely to survive a werewolf attack than a woman by right of the fact that women, for the most part, are portrayed as having less strength and fortitude males.

Please PM me all hate mail and death threats rather than post them directly in the thread.
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching."
-Jack Handey
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

I actually see nothing wrong with that, BRB. The only negative thing is that it has a sexist undercurrent, but a lot of old media that had Werewolves biting people was that way.

We've come a long way in equality since then, but in the World of the old, Hollywood silver screen Werewolf, I could see that plot playing out. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's just my individual stance because of the sexist nature of it, as I believe that a woman can be just as capable as any man, but I could see why you'd think of it that way. It certainly fits with the type of Werewolf.

So I don't see anything to pick you up on, really... the only way that could be turned bad is if you were to imply that all real World females would be unable to sustain themselves after a Werewolf bite. But I don't think that's what you were getting at.
Malignant-Librarian
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Howlin' at the Full Moon!

Post by Malignant-Librarian »

Well, being a creator of a very strong female werewolf character myself (see 'Sylvie' on my deviantART and in my avatar and siggy), I've definitely noticed the ratio of men to women-weres being pretty unbalanced (in favor of the men).

@Rosiewolf: Ah, that's a really interesting thought, Rosiewolf. (Btw, love your Tsume avatar!) If lycanthropy were to be transmitted through sex, though, and males are the predominant carriers of most STDs for whatever strange biological reason, wouldn't that mean that female werewolves would be more common?

That is to say, the majority of men are heterosexual -- in order to sexually transmit their lycanthropy to another man, they'd have to be gay (or perhaps just caught in the heat of the moment. ... or experimenting. o-O) Thusly, wouldn't it make more sense for there to be a surplus of female lycanthropes?

I might be missing some integral part of this theory here.

@Vagrant: I noticed the hint of sexism, too, but sometimes, looking at nature, we see this sexism. Male lions run the pride (doing little work for it, really), and female spiders live longer and are predators. In theory, this could apply to werewolves, too, although it's important, I think, that we try to keep in the back of our minds that, despite the fact they turn hairy for three nights a month at least, werewolves were once, and still are, human. (Daaa-yyuum, what a run-on sentence!) I mean to say; they probably have better control over their instincts than we sometimes give them credit for.

What do you think?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I think it's simply because men are presumed to make for better antagonists. The classic image of the werewolf is it running through the forest chasing after a woman in lingerie and high heels; having the werewolf in that situation be a woman too kind of softens the imagery some.

As for modern-day werewolf movies, well, a lot of them are more action flicks than true horror movies, and whenever a hot vampire chick or a Wesley Snipes wannabe squares off against twenty generic henchmen/monsters, they always make them male.

It's one of the stereotypes I'm trying to address in my own writing. I've only written in detail about five werewolves thus far, but I've got a big list of future weres to be revealed and the gender ratio is about 60/40 (not 50/50 exact because I didn't want it to look intentional).

I could only think of three exceptions to the rule. The first two were (*shudder*) Cursed and (*shudder-shudder*) Darkwolf, both of which had only two werewolves, one male and one female. The other was Dog Soldiers, where they only showed the werewolf family in human form in a family photo, and if you count the one they turned and don't count the guy that blew himself up before he could turn, they too were 50/50. Otherwise they were 3/5 with the females the majority.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I think it's assumptions and ingrained thinking. It goes back to 19th and 20th century thinking, in which characters and personas are male by default and being female is seen as noteworthy and unusual. (Ironically, biology has it the other way around, with early embryos by default being "female" in development until a particular hormone either does or does not show up to cause male development instead.) As more and more people are acknowledging both genders as being equal, we should see more female werewolves in newer works. Indeed, that is starting to be the case.

Still, wolves in older literature are seen as symbols of male sexuality. (Little Red Riding Hood ultimately is a female coming of age story, warning about how sex-craved we men are. I'd find the notion offensive if it weren't so bloody true.) And thus, the symbol of a man turning into a wolf is ripe substance for metaphors.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Wselfwulf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wselfwulf »

Scotts right. The idea of the wolf symbol ranges from an expression of vir to to a personification of agression, brutality and warmongery, all most comfortable represented by the gender they are associated with. Obviously gender and violence is a little more complex than that, which is why I found Ginger Snaps so interesting.
Real humanity presents a mixture of all that is most sublime and beautiful with all that is vilest and most monstrous in the world - Mikhail Bakunin, God and The State

Nothing in life is certain except negative patient care outcomes and revenue enhancement - William Lutz
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

@Jingles: That's a fair point, and I do see what you're getting at. Even subconsciously my desire for the egalitarian treatment of all tends to impair my thoughts on issues like this.

I've got nothing else to add other than I agree completely with Scott and Terastas, they've hit the nail on the head with the issue, I think. Actually, this would have been an interesting issue to deal with in Freeborn, were it to ever come about.

In fact, I dare say I'm looking forward to the first tale that really breaks down the stale stereotypes by having a female Werewolf lead a pack, that might do a lot to get rid of the stigma there.

I don't think it would be entirely unimaginable either, because as far as Wolves are concerned, they can be quite equal. I've seen almost as many packs in documentaries lead by female Wolves as I have by males, and this was even the case in my favourite documentary (one about arctic Wolves).

It's just a matter of looking at the Wolf in this case as well.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Well, part of it could be the fact that in most cases guys look better as werewolves than hairy females. But, really, the reason likely changes from case to case. Unless I'm mistaken, there used to be(and probably still is) more male actors then female actresses, thus there are going to be a surplus of guys.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Malignant-Librarian
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Howlin' at the Full Moon!

Post by Malignant-Librarian »

@Vagrie: 'In fact, I dare say I'm looking forward to the first tale that really breaks down the stale stereotypes by having a female Werewolf lead a pack, that might do a lot to get rid of the stigma there.'

I think you might be tickled by 'Lunar Pulse', then. hwlwnk
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

Malignant-Librarian wrote:I think you might be tickled by 'Lunar Pulse', then. hwlwnk
Oh, I'm sure I would have anyway. I have a long standing history of geekdom when it comes to comics, as I was introduced to them at a very young age and got into them in a big way.

I have my own little collection now, and there's still the occasional title that catches my interest (currently that'd be Invincible and The Astounding Wolf-man). Those who love Werewolves would find a lot to love in that collection, I'd think.

And no, no, no one can steal it! It's ours! Our precious! :lol:

So for me, it's another wonderful comic series, and that alone makes me happy. That it's going to have a female leading the pack in that tale? That's the icing on the cake.
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf Wannabe
Mood: Ruthless

Post by lycanthropeful »

I think having a male werewolf makes the whole idea of lycanthropy more... appealing in a way. Unless society somehow changes the ideal of feminine beauty, it's probably more farfetched to appreciate some woman who gets all buff and hairy and such. Men are already usually more muscular and more hairy, so it kinda of works... Not that a werewolf of either sex is "beautiful," but if you had to pick one or the other, I'd guess that's why there are more males.

Now, I am completely unfamiliar with werewolf films. Never seen a single one. So I'm probably completely uneducated as far as rebutting points and things like that go, but I assume that it's a Hollywood stigma to have a male werewolf because of traditional views of patriarchal roles and things like that.

As a creator of a female werewolf character, I can understand that, I think. Versa, my female were, is certainly no beauty model. I've added those traits to her in such a way that she inherently already looks a little bit more masculine (tall, very muscular, long chin/sharp jawline, broad shoulders, widow's peak, etc.). She's supposed to stand out because of her animalistic nature. It makes more sense for someone like her to get all fuzzy and ugly on a full moon night.

Though I wonder, since I've heard lycanthropy can be passed on by sexual intercourse, why there are less females. Women would literally be the "carriers" of the affliction, since if they were bitten by a male werewolf, no matter who they conceived a child with, wouldn't the affliction be passed on to the child? You'd think if werewolves chase after so many women in movies, like Terastas said, the women would eventually get bitten/impregnated and therefore pass on the trait?
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Art commissions are currently OPEN! Click HERE!
Vengeance, my werewolf novel: ON SALE NOW!
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Guys, I think you misunderstood the usuage of sex in the OP's post. I believe "Sex" was meant as in what pair is between your legs, as the reason for males having it more often was the chromosomes - which is a factor in hereditary diseases, as STDs don't care about which chromosomes you have but hereditary diseases that are sex-linked do
Bloodyredbaron wrote:Well I think it's safe to assume that in most novels and movies a bite is the main method of transmission. I think it's also safe to assume that the bite happens during an attack. And to be perfectly frank it can be inferred that in most cases a man is more likely to survive a werewolf attack than a woman by right of the fact that women, for the most part, are portrayed as having less strength and fortitude males.

Please PM me all hate mail and death threats rather than post them directly in the thread.
I don't see how that makes any sort of sense, really.

Being male doesn't afford you more "HP" life is not an RPG. A male frame has less in the way of the arms (lack of boobs) and the ability to build muscle better, but that's about it - there's nothing about it that lets either sex better survive horrendous damage due to their body. Flesh and bone for both sexes fails just the same ways.

Surviving a werewolf attack would be a function of:
A) Ability to kill said attacker, convince it that continuing it's assault WILL result in it's death or debilitating injury, or ability to escape the werewolf
B) Ability to keep conscious and mobile long enough to acquire aid

Neither of these require "strength", and "fortitude" is a mental attribute - meaning either sex is capable of having or not having it. Strength would be useful but I imagine most people would survive a werewolf attack by being able to outwit or outrun the wolf, while someone who is neither fast, particularly clever, or strong might still survive by virtue of having a firearm on hand - which will kill any werewolf who isn't protected by the silver-bullet myth pretty swiftly. "I bludgeoned that werewolf to death" would be a pretty rare occurance - it's rare a werewolf myth doesn't have them as being exceedingly speedy or insanely strong.

All of which is to say is that men are by no means more likely to survive - exceptional individuals, however, are. Even if their only exceptional trait is the possession of a firearm and the skill/guts necessary to remain calm and hit a fast moving and terrifying target.
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

Aki wrote: I don't see how that makes any sort of sense, really.

Being male doesn't afford you more "HP" life is not an RPG. A male frame has less in the way of the arms (lack of boobs) and the ability to build muscle better, but that's about it - there's nothing about it that lets either sex better survive horrendous damage due to their body. Flesh and bone for both sexes fails just the same ways.

Surviving a werewolf attack would be a function of:
A) Ability to kill said attacker, convince it that continuing it's assault WILL result in it's death or debilitating injury, or ability to escape the werewolf
B) Ability to keep conscious and mobile long enough to acquire aid

Neither of these require "strength", and "fortitude" is a mental attribute - meaning either sex is capable of having or not having it. Strength would be useful but I imagine most people would survive a werewolf attack by being able to outwit or outrun the wolf, while someone who is neither fast, particularly clever, or strong might still survive by virtue of having a firearm on hand - which will kill any werewolf who isn't protected by the silver-bullet myth pretty swiftly. "I bludgeoned that werewolf to death" would be a pretty rare occurance - it's rare a werewolf myth doesn't have them as being exceedingly speedy or insanely strong.

All of which is to say is that men are by no means more likely to survive - exceptional individuals, however, are. Even if their only exceptional trait is the possession of a firearm and the skill/guts necessary to remain calm and hit a fast moving and terrifying target.
What I said was:
Bloodyredbaron wrote:Well I think it's safe to assume that in most novels and movies a bite is the main method of transmission. I think it's also safe to assume that the bite happens during an attack. And to be perfectly frank it can be inferred that in most cases a man is more likely to survive a werewolf attack than a woman by right of the fact that women, for the most part, are portrayed as having less strength and fortitude males.

Portrayed as in that's how females are viewed in most fiction. Note that the stereotype is not completely without some merit, typically males are physically larger than females.

That said, realistically speaking, strength probably wouldn't be very useful in a fight with a werewolf, speed, cunning, and knowledge of your enemy would probably benefit. I can't see anyone surviving hand to hand combat with a werewolf without some kind of enhancement.
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching."
-Jack Handey
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Portrayal doesn't have much to do with reality though. We may be dealing with fiction here, but having a werewolf in the story doesn't mean the characters in the story need conform to stereotypes because that's how they're typically portrayed because that's silly and it's a portrayal that's really lessening in popularity. There's all kinds of female badasses or at least females who can handle themselves in fiction now. Ellen Ripley (or hell, Vasquez) from the Aliens movies, Alyx Vance from the Half-Life games, etc.
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

Aki wrote:Portrayal doesn't have much to do with reality though. We may be dealing with fiction here, but having a werewolf in the story doesn't mean the characters in the story need conform to stereotypes because that's how they're typically portrayed because that's silly and it's a portrayal that's really lessening in popularity. There's all kinds of female badasses or at least females who can handle themselves in fiction now. Ellen Ripley (or hell, Vasquez) from the Aliens movies, Alyx Vance from the Half-Life games, etc.
My original post was a comment on to why there might be more male werewolves then females. I never, ever supported this view of women in fiction, I never even stated my position on the matter, I was merely making an observation.
-Jack Handey
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

Well, that aside... (I accept that it was an observation, BRB, I just want to comment on what Aki said, that's all.)

I'm inclined to agree with you, Aki, as I'm not a fan of negative stereotypes. The more time goes on, the more we see egalitarianism in the media, it's never a revolution, but it is an ongoing evolution. There are some absolutely fantastic examples of this out there, and there'll only be more in the future.

My favourite example is actually Jade, from Beyond Good & Evil. There are some strong females that I really admire in media, but some of them I think come over as very masculine. I really admired the character of Jade, because while she was strong, and independent, she never lost her feminine side. She was one character whom I found to be an ideal, and it was one of the many elements that made that game a joy to play.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Bloodyredbaron wrote: My original post was a comment on to why there might be more male werewolves then females. I never, ever supported this view of women in fiction, I never even stated my position on the matter, I was merely making an observation.
I realized that after you first replied to me. I was merely making an observation that because that trend you mentioned is changing (Women as weak is becoming uncommon now) it might not be as good a reason for why there are more male than female than as the reasons posited by Scott (male is assumed as default until it's made clear the character is female) or as Terastas (generic mooks for the hero to wail on tend to be male - be they werewolves, zombies, evil henchmen, aliens, or what-have-you). Those to me, sound more plausible than a portrayal of females that is rapidly being phased out as a reasoning for the abundance of male werewolves and the paucity of female ones.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

This thread is drifting like the Marie Celeste...

Well, I could suppose that one reason for there being more male Werewolves than females is simply that males are more likely to be out in the "Cursed Forest of (fill-in-the blank); where they can encounter and be bitten by a Werewolf.
Females, as a rule, are smart enough to not go where the signs say "Danger", while males see that warning as a sort of challenge to their testicular fortitude, and go charging in to get chomped.

That's why...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

RedEye wrote:This thread is drifting like the Marie Celeste...
I learned something new today.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Noir-Okami
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Troper
Mood: Excited

Post by Noir-Okami »

That, and the idea of a female werewolf brings up an important question. What about their period (if they transformed at that time)? :?

In an irony, one of the few things that SMeyer averted was the ability of a female werewolf to have children. Heads up, they aren't supposed to in that series... But that, I guess, could be an attempt to dodge that important issue... :roll:
I'm working on a werewolf novel, while liking to stay up late at night and going to college. I'm going to be sleep-deprived when this is all said and done. :sleepy:

Anthony Brownrigg, I hope you have the best of luck with Freeborn. RedEye, I also wish you the best of luck with Wulfen Blood. And for a bit of luck for both of you... :ducktoss3:
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

In the Wulfen series, from the start of "things" to about age 60, a female werewolf has two "Heats" a year when in her Wulf body. In Smooth, she has no fertile periods; but when it's Heat time, if she gets Fuzzy, she gets...interested.

The Wulfen use readily available herbs to control fertility, although human "pee-sticks" work as a pre-motherhood warning for them.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Leonca~
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Cat who walks by Herself
Mood: Stressed

Post by Leonca~ »

I agree, it’s probably due more to old stereotypes than anything else. Men are simply more likely to be monsters in most stories. To me I think they are usually more interesting because I can see them embracing their wolf side more and being more vicious with it (especially when put in the role of villain), but I am still glad to see this trend changing with newer stories.
I’ve actually had to remind myself a few times to create more female characters for my werewolf story, since I usually have more fun with male ones. A while back I gave my main pack its first female alpha, who is good at the job that was given to her but finds it very stressful. :( I also recently created one of my first female villain characters, though like many real life dangerous women she was paired up with a male partner in crime.
In short I would love to see this trend continue changing. The psychology of a female werewolf character is bound to be a lot different from that of a male, so I can see people going in all sorts of interesting directions with it. :)
Sombra avatar by Leopreston at deviantart.com