Underworld copycat?

The place for anything at all...
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Underworld copycat?

Post by Alpha »

Can these people be sued for concept infringement? Anyways, here's an online game that you guys might find interesting.

http://www.bitefight.us/?kid=a-00245-02 ... 4-a07071ab
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: Underworld copycat?

Post by Figarou »

Alpha wrote:Can these people be sued for concept infringement? Anyways, here's an online game that you guys might find interesting.

Don't cha remember what White-Wolf tried to do when Underworld 1st came out? They tried to sue the makers of Underworld. But nothing happened. So, I don't think Sony pictures would do anything since anyone can use werewolves and vampires in their stories or games. But they can't use specific names.
Ceekur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ceekur »

I used to "play" Bitefight (wouldn't really call it playing in the usual meaning). I think there may still be a topic on this in the VG sub-forum in fact. Anyway, it just seems like a typical werewolf vs. vampire game to me. They've always been pitted against each other since the early movie productions.
' They have come to take my life...
Let us settle this 300 year-old war once and for all...
Who shall live...? Who shall die...? ' ~ Moonlight Symphony - Vampire Night

WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Yeah... it's the same old vamp vs. were fighting thing. Plus, the game {which i just started to play, before i lost interest and quit} has a few features the movie doesn't have, like guard dogs... or something that resembles a cross between dog and dragon...
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Ceekur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ceekur »

Well I quit (simply stopped coming back) about half a year ago. I remember the player market area, the graphical changes (rather, just updated and more detailed static images), and the addition of quests.
' They have come to take my life...
Let us settle this 300 year-old war once and for all...
Who shall live...? Who shall die...? ' ~ Moonlight Symphony - Vampire Night

WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Honestly, i only visited once, set a few things up and... never went back... it really wasn't that interesting...
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I'm reminded of the people who make The Simpsons pissing and moaning that Seth MacFarlane plagiarized them when he made Family Guy, when in reality, the only two things the two shows have in common is that they are sitcoms and that they are animated.

The makers of Underworld can copyright their characters by name and the time line they created for it, but they can't copyright broad concepts like vampires or werewolves. That would be like if the makers of the Godzilla movies tried to sue the makers of Cloverfield for infringing in their "giant monster" trademark. WW or UW would have just as good a chance of copyrighting vampires and werewolves as, say, George Lucas would have of copyrighting long ago in a galaxy far far away.

The concept of "monster vs. monster" is far from original either (Dark Stalkers, Hellsing, Blade, Twilight, Danny Phantom, etc.). The very concept WW and UW began with is borrowed.

So no, neither this nor anything else could ever be considered a copyright infringement simply for being vampire/werewolf related.
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Alpha »

Figarou wrote:
Alpha wrote:Can these people be sued for concept infringement? Anyways, here's an online game that you guys might find interesting.

Don't cha remember what White-Wolf tried to do when Underworld 1st came out? They tried to sue the makers of Underworld. But nothing happened. So, I don't think Sony pictures would do anything since anyone can use werewolves and vampires in their stories or games. But they can't use specific names.

Yeah, I kinda remember it. But as I recall, didn't that lawsuit fail because it was based on the Romeo/Juliet romance aspect of the 1st film? To me, that's more of a vague public domain kind of thing... whereas the opening header on this game's site about how the the fight between Vamps and Weres has been "raging for centuries" seems to be a much more blatant ripoff. It's the the same exact line that Selene used in the first movie.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

And wasn't it the same Person (I won't use the word Director) who also made Blood and Chocolate into a Romeo and Juliette - ish sort of movie, even though the book was nothing like that.

And as for the "War" between Vampires and Werewolves; that started one day when there weren't enough Hair Stylists to go around.

In the original WolfMan meets Dracula, the Werewolf actually fought Dracula to a standoff, since HE was only cursed, while the Vamp was just plain Evil.
Imagine, shades of gray in a black and white movie! :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...