The Term "Lycan".

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Silveera-Ice
Legendary
Legendary

The Term "Lycan".

Post by Silveera-Ice »

I have always been confused with the term Lycans and Lycanthropy referring to werewolves.
It seems like the technical term for it, but, its also a real diesease.
Clinical lycanthropy is defined as a rare psychiatric syndrome which involves a delusion that the affected person can or has transformed into an animal, or that he or she is an animal
Now, also, I cant find the topic, but, on another forum (not werewolf related), a person posted up about how they knew someone with Lycanthropy. Whoever this person was, she supposedly always walked on tip toes, and hid it by wearing high heels. At night she would go into her "wolf" stage and she would walk on the floor and try ripping things up. She also said that she would change into a wolf. Her parents had to keep her in her room at those stages. Ok, I know this is one of those things that are like "I know a guy and his brothers sisters cousin who had this friend said..." but still. If its a real disease, then where did the word come from?

I guess what im asking is the origin of the word Lycan, being used as a term for a real disease and also what werewolves are called...
Avatar used is a work from Khaos dog. http://khaosdog.deviantart.com/
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Undead Mutant Dinosaur
Mood: Indifferent

Re: The Term "Lycan".

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

Probably an oversimplification, but Lycanthrope is basically the Greek word for werewolf, when Clinical Lycanthropy was first identified and diagnosed the Doctor who discovered/named it probably wanted to sound cute or ironic and named the disease for the legend.

Slightly OT: As of Rise of the Lycans, in the Underworld canon the term Lycan refers to a human/werewolf hybrid, hopefully this revelation will take some steam out of the "erroneously calling werewolves Lycans" fad.

Does anyone here remember when everyone started calling werewolves Garou after WTA was released?
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching."
-Jack Handey
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I always just thought of "lycan" as being short for "lycanthrope." Like saying "white" instead of "Anglo-Saxon," if you will. :P
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Clinical lycanthropy is a very very rare disease with only a small number of cases in the history of clinical psychology. Furthermore, the disorder is categorized by a delusion of acting like many different animals, and not just wolves, who are actually a minority.

There are more lottery winners than lycanthropes.
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

I consider Lycanthropy as animals' spirits possessing humans for a long time, so those animal spirits can be half-human.

As scientists called it a strange disorder...
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Lycos is the Greek word for wolf, hence the name connections.

My problem (which I've stated before) is that "Lycan" sounds exactly like "Lichen".
A Lycan is a Werewolf-thingie.
A Lichen is a combination of plant and animal and grows under wet rocks.

In Underworld, there is a rather strong similarity between the two... :lol:

In Second Life, I may color my Lycan avatar that color as a bit of a joke...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Post by Gevaudan »

RedEye wrote:Lycos is the Greek word for wolf, hence the name connections.

My problem (which I've stated before) is that "Lycan" sounds exactly like "Lichen".

I may like Lycans, but I don't like lichen. I've taken a lichen to this Lycan thread though, cause I'm a fungi to have around. :lol:
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Thunderclaw
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Lycan Lord of Thunder
Mood: RAR!

Post by Thunderclaw »

The term I believe does come from a greek myth. If I remember correctly :read2: Then it's based on an old king who sacrificed two children to the god Zeus. Zeus, in rage at what the king had done, turned him into a wolf to wander around wild. The name of that greek king was
"King Lycaon."

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurgeAquos

Thunderclaw:
One wolf, One purpose, One life

Surge Aquos:
True power, no emotion

Dusten Aquos:
Impatient, unlucky, or is he?
heartlessfang
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: I'm a manga artist/comic artist/writer. I've taken martial arts for about 11 years. Never played any of the Werewolf card games.

Post by heartlessfang »

The version of that story that I read is that Zeus was on one of his jaunts where he randomly got human women pregnant( as a wolf no less....) and one of them was the wife of King Lycaon. Now the child that she had from Zeus was treated pretty badly by the king (sort of like Cinderella.) and Zeus found out.

So Zeus decided to pay a visit to the king disguised as another king and Lycaon offered Zeus a meal( forget whether Lycaon knew that it was Zeus or not.). King Lycaon decided to kill his son and serve him up to Zeus; Which Zeus knew right away what the king had done. The King was turned into a wolf as punishment.

There were slight variations in this version of the story.
one I read said that the kings descendants were cursed to become wolves for a certain number of years ( like 7 or something) and they had to go back to a certain spot to become human again......
Thunderclaw
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Lycan Lord of Thunder

Post by Thunderclaw »

At least we can agree on the fact that zeus was involved in both the stories we heard.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurgeAquos

Thunderclaw:
One wolf, One purpose, One life

Surge Aquos:
True power, no emotion

Dusten Aquos:
Impatient, unlucky, or is he?
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Oh dear sweet jesus I hate that term.

Lycan is a word that only the werewolf weaboos on here use, those people with distractingly bad grammar and spelling and the annoying tendency to think they're actually werewolves (Not talking about the therians though) when in reality they are just stupid teenagers who's only frame of reference is Van Helsing or Underworld and wouldn't know a good werewolf story if it bit them on the rear end.

Of course, I can't really say that much, being a stupid teenager myself and having loved Van Helsing when I was younger (Although I now know how wrong I was).
XIV
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Now look, if a kid comes on here and Underworld is his only frame of reference for werewolves, and he calls them "Lycans," he just needs some education is all. It's our job to show him new and different werewolf stories, and if he's claiming to be a werewolf, gently suggest that we have a roleplaying forum. These tactics have worked, recently too.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Gevaudan wrote:
RedEye wrote:Lycos is the Greek word for wolf, hence the name connections.

I may like Lycans, but I don't like lichen. I've taken a lichen to this Lycan thread though, cause I'm a fungi to have around. :lol:
There's not mushroom for Fig in this thread, is there? :D
({facepaw} Oy... that was a crappy joke...)
Like your reference to the fact they grow mushrooms in manure?
(Yeah... oh boy... someone needs to stop us. This pun thing is starting to grow on me.)
Mmmph... they do... these jokes are getting rotten...
(Okay... time out... done...)
Must not say another pun...
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

I always assumed that Lycan was a short slang for Lycanthropy/Lycanthrope.

Didn't know there was so many different versions of King Lycaon story. The closest one that I heard of was the one heartlessfang posted. (Minus the first part.)
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot

Silverclaw wrote:I always assumed that Lycan was a short slang for Lycanthropy/Lycanthrope.

Didn't know there was so many different versions of King Lycaon story. The closest one that I heard of was the one heartlessfang posted. (Minus the first part.)
Same here actually, on both...
As for the lycan... i was confused when i first heard that... i'm like "The stuff that grows on trees?"
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

[quote="WerewolfKeeper3" Same here actually, on both...
As for the lycan... i was confused when i first heard that... i'm like "The stuff that grows on trees?"[/quote]

Oh my goodness! Werewolves are growing on trees now? Is that why the bark is so ruff? :P
:lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

To expand slightly:
Lycos is the greek for wolf.
Anthropos is the greek for human.
I would have to go looking it up, but I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that "lycanthrope" was never originally a word in greek, and that it was invented much later (perhaps as late as the 19th century), by Europeans. Why they didn't go to Latin instead of Greek, I don't know (they did so with practically everything else, after all). My understanding is that the earliest word in any language (that we know of) for a werewolf was from the Saxon words "were" for "man", and "wulf" for (you guessed it) wolf. Yeah, that's right, the first iteration for werewolf was... "werewolf". It supposedly predates the French "Loup-Garou" by a bit, even.
I also seem to remember hearing that the original usage of "lycanthrope" was to refer to the "disease" that we now suspect was actually psychotropic effects of Ergot poisoning, and that Clinical Lycanthropy as a psychological disorder wasn't recognized until well into the 20th century. Until Underworld came out, I don't think I'd ever heard anyone use the term "Lycan".
As always, I eagerly await Scott Gardener (our resident expert on all things medical) to weigh in and explain everything I just got embarassingly wrong.
:P
Leonca~
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Cat who walks by Herself
Mood: Stressed

Post by Leonca~ »

The version of that story that I read is that Zeus was on one of his jaunts where he randomly got human women pregnant( as a wolf no less....) and one of them was the wife of King Lycaon. Now the child that she had from Zeus was treated pretty badly by the king (sort of like Cinderella.) and Zeus found out.

So Zeus decided to pay a visit to the king disguised as another king and Lycaon offered Zeus a meal( forget whether Lycaon knew that it was Zeus or not.). King Lycaon decided to kill his son and serve him up to Zeus; Which Zeus knew right away what the king had done. The King was turned into a wolf as punishment.
Hmm, I’ve never heard that version of the story. Though knowing Zeus I wouldn’t put it past him. Better a wolf than a swan at any rate. :lol:
Sombra avatar by Leopreston at deviantart.com
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

RedEye wrote:
WerewolfKeeper3 wrote: Same here actually, on both...
As for the lycan... i was confused when i first heard that... i'm like "The stuff that grows on trees?"
Oh my goodness! Werewolves are growing on trees now? Is that why the bark is so ruff? :P
(THe puns have it... :lol: )
V, from V for Vendetta.

Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Undead Mutant Dinosaur
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

RedEye wrote:[quote="WerewolfKeeper3" Same here actually, on both...
:lol:[/quote]

Bean there... done that. Took my truck, made like a banana, and peeled out.

Of course, if you want to Squash the competition, it's no good comparing Apples to Oranges... Otherwise you'll have a bunch of smartasses Sprouting right up on you. And all they do is give you the Rasberry. Keep it up and soon you'll realize you're working for Peanuts. And the only thing left to do is Beet them senseless with bad puns.

I've Plum forgotten... what are we talking about again?
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching."
-Jack Handey
Moss27
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Moon Hunter
Mood: Bored

Post by Moss27 »

Dreamer wrote:Of course, I can't really say that much, being a stupid teenager myself and having loved Van Helsing when I was younger (Although I now know how wrong I was).
Now I'm freaking out, 'cause I still love that movie. What's wrong with the movie? I don't want to be a weaboo! D= Educate me, please.

--

Anyways, I've seen many people use "Lycan" a lot, though I would never use it myself. I like the french word, "loup-garou," that I read from a book.

... dang, now I feel like I'm going to say something that will make me sound stupid.
"I didn't do my homework, so why am I in trouble for something I didn't do?"
Van Helsing

Post by Van Helsing »

Hi, I'm new to this site-go ahead and laugh at the name I chose, and figured you all would get a good laugh out of it. I'm not a weaboo who saw the movie and decided....so that's the real story of werewolves. I have been a werewolf fanatic since I can remember. I would give anything to be one. ANYWAY....the term lycan, obviously taken from lycanthrope to mean wolf. The only time I have heard it used recently was from the underworld movies. I hope because of the films we don't use this term for them from now on. I have been reading the comments back and forth about differant things and I just want to be part of that. Not many people are as obsessed about werewolves as me. Accept for my wife however, since she too is a huge fan. Both of us are looking for answers to many questions, and I can answer many questions any of you might have. Also....if anyone here is from Maine please write me. My wife use to live there and has questions needing to be answered.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:
(Yeah... oh boy... someone needs to stop us. This pun thing is starting to grow on me.)

That's what you think!!!

:jester:
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

Figarou wrote:
WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:

That's what you think!!!

:jester:
(It worked... i knew he couldn't keep away. :lol: )
Yep... ha ha... :D
V, from V for Vendetta.