Helloo

Welcome to "The Pack" forum! Come tell us about yourself!!
FormicHiveQueen
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: I'd put something clever here, but you'd expect that.

Helloo

Post by FormicHiveQueen »

Hey, y'all. I hope you'll forgive my lack of a proper werewulf avatar, for I haven't managed to find one that suits my tastes just yet.

Anyway, I've always had a fascination with mythology, which includes a casual interest in werewulves (if you're wondering why I spell it with a "u", it's to stick with the whole "old English" theme of the name). For the last several weeks I've been getting ready to write a series of stories involving multiple mythological creatures, my own version of werewulves included. After looking at several relatively useless sources, at least for my purposes, of info that would fit with what my wulves are, I ran across this forum. I must say, a lot of the ideas I've read here have heavily influenced what I'll include in my writing.

As for details, I'm a resident of the United States' Pacific Northwest. I write as a hobby, love to read more than anything, and occasionally get lost in a computer game or two. I play the piano and keyboard by ear and like to try and imitate songs I hear when I'm not inventing my own. And funnily enough, unless you count Van Helsing, I have never actually seen a werewulf movie nor read a novel that involves them. :lol:

Oh yeah, as for being called FormicHiveQueen yet being a guy... about three years ago I was reading all the Ender's Game books and I got extremely obsessed with the Formics. Problem was that FormicHiveKing would sound weird, and back then most forums didn't allow spaces in usernames. It's like a second name to me now, so here I am, and here it is.

But enough about me, how about y'all?
Give a man some fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for life.
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Re: Helloo

Post by Gevaudan »

:welcome:

I'm sure you'll like it here very much! I too like to play the keyboard, but I'm on the opposite side the country: New York. Even so, we've got people here who are halfway across the world. Enjoy your stay here, and good luck with your stories.

I'm forgetting something...oh yeah! DUCKIE ATTACK!

:ducktoss3: :duckbomb: :toxicduckie: :Duckietoss: :explode2: :dizzy: :lol:
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Fallenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf Of the Blood Moon
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Fallenwolf »

well its nice to meet ya mate :welcome:
mess with the best die like the rest
Pet's name: Sèitheach
Adopt your own!
http://s4.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=152051 werewolf game come i got a clan to!
FormicHiveQueen
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Well I appreciate the warm welcome........ not entirely sure if I understand the ducky attack. ??
Give a man some fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for life.
Nightmane
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Well that depends good sir...

Post by Nightmane »

Its kinda of a forum game kinda thing... ^,.,^
and welcome to the pack, im a writer too soooooo HI! hwlwnk
"for if you stare long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss stares also into you."
— Friedrich Nietzsche,

"I am Ragnar and I defy you!" -THE SPACE WOLF OMNIBUS

CLICK IT!!!http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/66795671.html

Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Welcome to the pack, and excellent Haruhi avatar.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Cyberwatt
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Packmate of Sabbatis
Mood: Happy

Post by Cyberwatt »

Welcome, Formic. Nice to meet a fellow writer. I look forward to seeing how you develop your mythology; do keep us up to date on that!
http://thevindicad.blogspot.com/ - The new apocalyptic serial novel. With werewolves!
FormicHiveQueen
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Cyberwatt wrote:Welcome, Formic. Nice to meet a fellow writer. I look forward to seeing how you develop your mythology; do keep us up to date on that!
Well I'll certainly try! Actually I've got my werewolves all planned out at this point, it's just some of my other critters I'm having trouble with. There aren't that many sites, for example, that really help much with inspiration for vampires that aren't the undead but also are not aliens. :roll:
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

I have posted a biological variant on this site, though it does also function as a combination vampire and werewolf(via Mutations), here. It's a virus-based one, though it does contain some nWoD mechanics in there, though you're more than welcome to pilfer it for ideas and inspiration.

It's a bit lengthy, as I got a little carried away. One of the main things I was aiming for was the ability to incorporate just about any ability up to spellcasting, from "mind reading" to hypnotism, to the ability to rip a car door off and toss a grown man across a street. Though, it's a rather modular approach, with a fair degree of individually.

The main points with it are that they're not undead, they are alive, they eat, sleep, breath, and their blood keeps on pumping; they are infectious, just as with pretty much any other blood borne pathogen; they can be up and about during the day, but they are UV sensitive, or rather the virus is, and when the virus dies it becomes toxic, so on the whole sunlight=bad, though depending on the person they can walk about at high noon for an hour or two before starting to sizzle, though it would be rather uncomfortable; they do require nutrients found primarily within blood/meat, mostly raw meat or fresh blood, and if they don't get it they will starve to death in a very unpleasant manner. However, multiple vampires can feed off one another, though this does "weaken" their vampirism, and has certain other effects. I've also tried to integrate a half-breed/dhampir mechanic, which are basically those who have been infected but not yet succumbed. The time until they become a full vampire varies depending on several factors, though it can last days, or decades in some cases.

The post does go into a lot more detail, check it out.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
FormicHiveQueen
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Wingman wrote:I have posted a biological variant on this site, though it does also function as a combination vampire and werewolf(via Mutations), here. It's a virus-based one, though it does contain some nWoD mechanics in there, though you're more than welcome to pilfer it for ideas and inspiration.

It's a bit lengthy, as I got a little carried away. One of the main things I was aiming for was the ability to incorporate just about any ability up to spellcasting, from "mind reading" to hypnotism, to the ability to rip a car door off and toss a grown man across a street. Though, it's a rather modular approach, with a fair degree of individually.

The main points with it are that they're not undead, they are alive, they eat, sleep, breath, and their blood keeps on pumping; they are infectious, just as with pretty much any other blood borne pathogen; they can be up and about during the day, but they are UV sensitive, or rather the virus is, and when the virus dies it becomes toxic, so on the whole sunlight=bad, though depending on the person they can walk about at high noon for an hour or two before starting to sizzle, though it would be rather uncomfortable; they do require nutrients found primarily within blood/meat, mostly raw meat or fresh blood, and if they don't get it they will starve to death in a very unpleasant manner. However, multiple vampires can feed off one another, though this does "weaken" their vampirism, and has certain other effects. I've also tried to integrate a half-breed/dhampir mechanic, which are basically those who have been infected but not yet succumbed. The time until they become a full vampire varies depending on several factors, though it can last days, or decades in some cases.

The post does go into a lot more detail, check it out.
Haven't read it yet, but it sounds interesting. What I've been going off of so far are two things: that vampires are somewhat as they are in Oblivion in that they don't need to feed, but they can get around places a heck of a lot easier if they do, and that they and gargoyles are the same thing. Given enough time without feeding, my version slowly starts to become a gargoyle, wings and all. This was partly inspired by the transformations of Dracula and his brides in the movie Van Helsing, but it also gives a reason for vampires to stay out of the sun other than avoiding death. The more fargone they are, the faster they turn to stone, and the faster they break free once they're out of the sun.

The main thing is getting them to fit in with werewulves, harpies, humans, and drakes (dragon-people for my purposes) all in the same universe, not to mention that we've got some magical beings like liches, undead, yadda yadda. So many things just have to fit together and my vampires/gargoyles are kind of the oddballs in that they are the only ones that transform more than once (my werewulves don't morph after being transformed), and that they almost have to be too powerful in order to make several hundred year's worth of transforming actually be worth the effort.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

Hmm, can't say I've ever seen someone connect vampires and gargoyles before, aside from a Vampire the Requiem fan splatbook, which was just an excuse to stack plusses and abilities onto their favorite character.

The Van Helsing movie, along with Blood and Blood+ were primary sources behind my Inhuman Form mutation, which gives several effects other than just transforming. Of course, on a low scale Buffyverse vampires fit it too.
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

History Hit:

Gargoyles are used as covers for rain spouts on most buildings that have them. They also are used to decorate beam-ends and other sticky-out bits of structure.
Think of them as the 16th Century's form of the Happy Face... :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Wingman »

That was brought to you by the Family Learning Channel. Now, back to our regular scheduled program.

I'm reasonably sure that I recall hearing about how some gargoyles have more occult uses, like warding off evil spirits and whatnot.

Ahh, just remembered something I used to say that concerned gargoyles.
"This has potential, much like a precariously balanced gargoyle above a group of nuns."
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.