Restructure The Pack forums?

Here is where you can find whats happening on the website, and current, and future updates.

Consense the forum into fewer sections?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:39 pm

Yes. At this moment we have too many.
69%
No. Things are fine the way they are.
31%

Total votes: 26

outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Re: Restructure The Pack forums?

Post by outwarddoodles »

FINALLY.

And I LOVE it! Including the changes. Save that maybe the creative den isn't condensed enough, but honestly, I'm not complaining.

:heart:

An idea others might discuss: In my opinion, some of the Topics in the "General" section have the potential to be allocated into a "The PACK" section, such as "Pack: General Business," "Introductions," and "Website Updates." I really don't mind either way, but it can be considered.

Let the disorientation commence...

:grinp:
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

i like the intro section out in the open, makes it easy for new members to find, but feel that the website updates and pack general biz could be moved as outwarddoodles suggested.
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Post by Gevaudan »

I like it so far, although it doesn't feel like much has changed. At least we're not using the Facebook method of radically changing something every couple of months for no apparent reason when everyone was just getting used to the old version.
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

I just got back from taking a shower and have had a chance to explore the forums a bit more:

I am none too pleased with the "Entertainment" and the "Werewolf Film, Comics, Novels, Etc." sub forum layouts. Ew. I just can't stand all of the sub forums. Can't we just make them all ONE forum? Or split them all up to make more primary forums? (Also, werewolf MEDIA would be more appropriate, otherwise you're not including music, games, flash videos, short stories, etc etc.)

I want all of my important forums to be accessible from the 'front page' so to say. Otherwise, it's too much navigation.
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Post by takyoji »

You can access the subforums by clicking the link to any individual one under the listing of their patent forum; in otherwords, where it says "Subforums" and lists the links to them on the board index. I hate how they're listed with comma separation, whereas I'd prefer it would be one subforum per line, rather than all on one line.

If having those subforums is a bit of an issue, they can be all merged to the one. Perhaps the way the different forms of topics could be indicated by topic icons (which isn't currently set to be allowed yet) once all the subforums are merged.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

i kinda like the sub forums links, make little things or most frequented topics easily accessible.
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

My two cents.

It feels squashed together. It's a bit ugly-looking when it lists the subforums at the time (maybe it the layout had rounded corners it wouldn't look so.. jagged/knifey/bad).

Mm... I can't really describe or explain why, I just don't like it.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

I like the updated layout that I'm seeing this morning, with the werewolf forums at the top, followed by general stuff. (Yesterday the werewolf forums were below general, which didn't make sense to me.) The current layout is about as close to perfect as I can imagine for The Pack's forum structure. If I can think of any other suggestions, I'll post them.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

outwarddoodles wrote:I just got back from taking a shower and have had a chance to explore the forums a bit more:

I am none too pleased with the "Entertainment" and the "Werewolf Film, Comics, Novels, Etc." sub forum layouts. Ew. I just can't stand all of the sub forums. Can't we just make them all ONE forum? Or split them all up to make more primary forums? (Also, werewolf MEDIA would be more appropriate, otherwise you're not including music, games, flash videos, short stories, etc etc.)

I want all of my important forums to be accessible from the 'front page' so to say. Otherwise, it's too much navigation.
Well I think it may take some getting use to, For about a minute I wondered if "The Entertainment" should have a separate section of it's own away from General Discussion so that it wouldn't have any subforum, but it just seemed to fit well under it. So I think it's fine with the way it is for now.
spongypants23 wrote:My two cents.

It feels squashed together. It's a bit ugly-looking when it lists the subforums at the time (maybe it the layout had rounded corners it wouldn't look so.. jagged/knifey/bad).

Mm... I can't really describe or explain why, I just don't like it.
Huh, I don't think it looks squashed at all, and jagged and knifey? Hmm not all forums have to have rounded corners. I seen a lot of them that don't, but I am just stating my second opinion on your comment.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Two forums for Werewolf Media: Werewolves on Screen, and Werewolves in Print. Problem solved.

I also think Website Updates and Technical Support should be under The Pack General Business. Furthermore, having an "Improvements" sub-forum under Website Updates is confusing; there should only be one forum for all website-related topics.
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Berserker wrote:Furthermore, having an "Improvements" sub-forum under Website Updates is confusing; there should only be one forum for all website-related topics.
I thought so myself.

I can easily find all of the active "Improvement" posts in the website section. And there's simply not enough posts concerning that topic to warrant a sub forum anyway.

I still think Website Updates and Pack General Business can go in their own section. Otherwise, I don't think either Website Updates or Tech Support should be made into sub forums -- at the very least, Tech Support shouldn't.
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spongy »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Hmm not all forums have to have rounded corners. I seen a lot of them that don't, but I am just stating my second opinion on your comment.
Uh, yeah? I never said all forums had to have rounded corners.
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

Agree with Spony here. Too many sub-forums can make a forum look cluttered as a whole. The amount of forums we still have probably also helps contribute to this effect.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

takyoji wrote:Perhaps the way the different forms of topics could be indicated by topic icons (which isn't currently set to be allowed yet) once all the subforums are merged.
You could always put up a sticky telling people to add "tags" to their posts if the pack would prefer not using topic icons. (I, personally, find them annoying.) By tag I mean a little bit of text in the title with something like [Art] or [Music]. For example:

[Art] Really cool werewolf drawing
[Art] Sculpture of a werewolf
[Music] Song about a wolf eating a duckie
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Set wrote:
takyoji wrote:Perhaps the way the different forms of topics could be indicated by topic icons (which isn't currently set to be allowed yet) once all the subforums are merged.
You could always put up a sticky telling people to add "tags" to their posts if the pack would prefer not using topic icons. (I, personally, find them annoying.) By tag I mean a little bit of text in the title with something like [Art] or [Music]. For example:

[Art] Really cool werewolf drawing
[Art] Sculpture of a werewolf
[Music] Song about a wolf eating a duckie
^ I like this.
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spongy »

I'd like to keep the seperate forums... More organised that way, and it's not all mashed together. Easier to find stuff.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Yikes, I was away about a week or so, and when I got back, the forum was upside down!

I kind of like having the intros up top, although I must admit putting the werewolf-specific stuff above and the general discussion below makes sense. It might make more sense to carry the same logic a step further and put our werewolf-related creativity above the general discussion as well, turning the forum main page completely on its head.

One slight complaint, though; in having sub-forums, it takes a lot longer to sort through all the individual topics, as I'm now going through several layers. It does, however, de-clutter the main page.

OK, now to figure out where my avatar went.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...