Poll: Werewolves and Clothing: Yay or nay

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Should werewolves in Gestalt form be dressed?

Yes; formal attire including coat and tie for men and a dress for women
1%
Yes; clothing can be retained, but doesn't need to be
33%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
8%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
58%

Total votes: 79

Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Poll: Werewolves and Clothing: Yay or nay

Post by Scott Gardener »

OK, we've talked it enough, but I haven't seen a poll. I just fixed that. Though Freeborn werewolves will be shifted in the nude, here's your opportunity to say whether skyclad is the way to do it, or if no shirt, no shoes equates to no shifting.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I chose that clothing can be retained, out of my principle of conservation of mass. A skilled shapeshifter who doesn't go all the way to wolf form should be able to retain enough human dimensions to keep room for clothing.

However, I'm more describing what could be done, not what should be done. I prefer my werewolves in the buff--except for the fur.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I voted for that they could wear clothing if they wanted to, and that its' rather possible, as the dimensions from huamn to Gestalt shouldn't change that much. Of course, theres also the ability to go without clothes, which probablly look better at least in most causes. :P
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

I voted that they could if they wanted to. Though I doubt it would be a very common occurance since having the fur coat and the clothes would probably make things unconfortably warm. Perosnally I'd keep the clothes, because I'm weird and wear pants even in the most absurd situations.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I chose that they could but don't have to as well, though more or less because I think it would depend on the kind of clothing in question.

Button-down shirts, shorts and sandals? Yes.
T-shirts, baggy pants, sneakers and/or loafers? Maybe.
Turtlenecks, skin-tight jeans and/or work boots? Definitely not.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Assuming we're talking intelligent werewolves here, then of course they could wear clothes. But would they?

First of all, they would probably not wear anything that hinders movement. Secondly, shirts, pants and the like are probably out. Those seem like they would be really uncomfortable given a healthy coat of fur -- or at best awkward. Shoes and socks are most definitely out. Hats and such would probably not be shaped correctly, and would likely be inconvenient at best. Bras seem downright silly. Underwear might not work well unless specially made. Jewelry and other accessories would probably depend entirely on convenience. Something that's going to fall off probably won't be around for very long.

So that pretty much leaves shorts/loincloth. Depending on the exact structure of the leg and the situation with the tail, shorts may or may not work well. Now, whether one chooses to wear one of these will probably depend on the situation and the individual.

If the werewolf is a loner, then it would depend entirely on them. Personally, I would choose to go without, since that would be the easiest way, and I would not plan on being seen in the first place. If I am seen, then I have much bigger concerns than my modesty.

Now, if the werewolf were in a group, however, it would likely depend mostly on what the others did -- peer pressure. If one was modest and chose to wear a loincloth, or whatever, when everyone else did not, they would probably be made fun of or otherwise humiliated, and would probably not do so again. If, on the otherhand, they chose to go without clothes when the rest wore them, then they would likely get some odd looks indeed.

I think most would probably choose to go without. It's easier, more convenient, and more comfortable.

-- Vilkacis
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Mmm... they could, if they wanted to.... but it'd have to be less ornate, less complicated clothing.

A T-shirt for example would work just fine for most werewolves, especially a V-neck type. Shorts would probably work okay as well, a skirt or a buisness suit though, are too specific to one size/form for it to work well on a werewolf.
DarkWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Go My Tediz Go To Ze Trenchez

Post by DarkWolf »

Just like some guy once said but cant get remember the twats name: Lets get naked NO CLothes thank u
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Actually, pants could be a possibility since the tail extends out above the backside as opposed to out of it. The only problem is that, for a werewolf to maintain that sense of decensy while still leaving room for his tail, pants would need to be worn rapper style.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Terastas wrote:Actually, pants could be a possibility since the tail extends out above the backside as opposed to out of it. The only problem is that, for a werewolf to maintain that sense of decensy while still leaving room for his tail, pants would need to be worn rapper style.
I was thinking more along the lines of problems with the digitigrade structure of the legs than the tail. I think pants would be very awkward at best, and would probably restrict movement. The angles are not at all what pants are designed for, nor the possible range of motion. They are only designed to handle one joint. It might work, but I imagine that they would catch at the heel, especially when jumping or performing any action which would require collapsing (as in bending) the leg structure, and then extending it again.

-- Vilkacis
Lycanthrop55
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Lycanthrop55 »

like sweatpants rapers wear them .
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Vilkacis wrote:The angles are not at all what pants are designed for, nor the possible range of motion. They are only designed to handle one joint. It might work, but I imagine that they would catch at the heel, especially when jumping or performing any action which would require collapsing (as in bending) the leg structure, and then extending it again.
Pants are just a tube; they're really not designed to handle any angles. The only way I can tell where the knee is on my bluejeans when I'm not wearing them is to look for the faded spot on the front. A werewolf should be able to wear a pair of jeans just fine, but it would probably wouldn't cover as much of the leg.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Lupin wrote:Pants are just a tube; they're really not designed to handle any angles. The only way I can tell where the knee is on my bluejeans when I'm not wearing them is to look for the faded spot on the front. A werewolf should be able to wear a pair of jeans just fine, but it would probably wouldn't cover as much of the leg.
This is what I would have said. Pants aren't designed with knees, but they become indented (for lack of a better word) after constantly being bent in that area. Also, the heel would only be a problem if would also catch in human form. If they wore them normally, the werewolf's digitgrade posture would only make his pants look smaller.

Of course, that's assuming they wore them normally, but as I already mentioned, they might have to wear them rapper-style to account for the tail, in which case you're right: it could get caught on their heels. With that in mind, shorts might be the recommendation of pack members.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I think I like the no clothing option for WWs(in gestalt and wolf form of course :wink: )
Clothing would be too restrictive, it would already be smaller on them after they tf anyways. And they just look plain cool when 'in the fur' 8) If the WW really really wanted to wear something though, I'm sure they could find something. It would be funny to see a newbie gestalt WW try and put on their human clothing after tf. Proably get made fun of by their pack though :lol:
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Kilts, loincloths, and togas would be the best things to wear short of custom made things. Yeah I said togas. If you think about it they're just a wrapped piece of cloth. While prone to snagging if you had a really shy werewolf that would be the ideal thing for them.

They can wear clothes if they want to. It depends on the werewolf.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

oh I forgot about that. I don't know.

Masybe the question is fourty two and the answer is duckies
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

well since the bodie grows dramaticly then im pretty sure the clothes would be ripped
WereDog
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hell-hound From outer regions of pluto

Post by WereDog »

it all depends on how much the werewolf increases in size, if they dont, like the wolfman, then why not keep the clothing. but if it gets huge like in van helsing, then offcource it cant keep it on.

i prefer em as god created them..... or satan 8) lol
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

I have two minds on this business of clothes ripping during the transformation.

If you're going to be realistic about things, clothing has a certain give to it and even shifting to eight feet tall or some such probably wouldn't rip anything (it might be uncomfortable and look like it really shrunk in the wash, but that's about it).

On the other hand, I think it looks cool from a dramatic perspective. Personally, I'd go with clothes ripping off dramatically, but then I liked the werewolves in Van Helsing and (god help me) Cursed, and the general trend among the Pack is that Freeborn should not touch either of those movies with a stick. So, anyway, my two cents.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I don't really like the "Hulk" look with frayed cuffs and stretched seams. I voted "can have clothes if they want to." There are plenty of clothes that would fit a shifting body, like caftans, ponchos, leinnes, skirts, waistcoats, djeballahs, et alia.
ImageImageImageImage
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Well, I would rather see a werewolf in just his fur as long as it is dense enough to sufficiently cover areas within reasonable decency- For example, I have no problem seeing nude male werewolf that has as much fur as a real wolf. That wouldn't show much more than if he was a human male wearing sweatpants. A slight suggestion of shape is ok, I just don't want to get a full view of his equiptment. @_@ yuck
I went with the loincloth option because I don't really want to see a fully clothed werewolf in a movie, but I don't want to leave the place blushing either, so if he doesn't have dense enough fur to sufficiently cover things then I would rather see a loincloth than regular human clothes.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

hmm.. i figure that part of lycanthropy is being able to run around in nothing but fur. Suit and tie would look kind of silly. However, clothing could be retained, and, if werewolves became public like in Scott's stories, clothing might even be designed for werewolves and similar shapeshifters. Afterall, not everyone would like being neked, fur or no fur.
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

Like what PariahPoet said, I would go with the loincloth look. It makes them look more natural and it would probably feel more natural. With a loincloth, there's no worry about clothes ripping or size issues.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

clothing defenately for the vital areas that need to be covered but other than that fur would work just fine.. :D
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Don't forget the dreaded tighty-whities! While it might actually work out that those stretchy underclothes would stay on...the situation would LOSE all seriousness.
You wouldn't be able to run from an attacking Werewolf in T.W.'s--you'd be too busy laughing. (while the W.W. sneaks off in embarassment)
:lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...