WAR OF THE WORLD

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

WAR OF THE WORLD

Post by Shadow Wulf »

oh my god you guys have got to see this movie, its the best thing to hit in theathers this year(cmon, can you really expect any less from steven spillberg), ooooh iloved it. i would go see it 3 more times if i had the money. :D
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: WAR OF THE WORLD

Post by Figarou »

Shadow Wulf wrote:oh my god you guys have got to see this movie, its the best thing to hit in theathers this year(cmon, can you really expect any less from steven spillberg), ooooh iloved it. i would go see it 3 more times if i had the money. :D
I plan on seeing it. When it hits DVD. :D

I'm a DVD freak.
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

im seeing it tommorow with some friends, hurray for birthdays :D
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

I'm gonna go see it with my dear ol' mother later today. :D
Maybe I'll put my review up here afterwards...

Edit: Okay, I just saw it, and let me say, it was AWESOME. Now I really want to read the book. The movie was sad in some parts though... it made me cry. :(

Heheh... the way the aliens died make me chuckle
Last edited by Wolfhanyou on Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Wolfhanyou wrote:I'm gonna go see it with my dear ol' mother later today. :D
Maybe I'll put my review up here afterwards...

Edit: Okay, I just saw it, and let me say, it was AWESOME. Now I really want to read the book. The movie was sad in some parts though... it made me cry. :(

Heheh... the way the aliens died make me chuckle. Death by micro-organisms. W00t
dont give away the ending, take that off now!! :evil:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Yup, was a good movie... but they got rid of the original beaked onion aliens :cry:
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

dont give away the ending, take that off now!!
Dude, have you ever read the book, heard the radio version, or seen the 1950s movie?... it's not exactly a new story... I don't mean to upset you.. I'm just saying... don't bite Wolfhanyou's head off...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Oolah!!!

Post by Scott Gardener »

Let's not forget the 1979 Jeff Wayne album, the musical version. Surprisingly, it's actually one of the best. It's my wife's favorite, and she introduced me to the album. I've gotten to know it more this year, in part as inspiration for my novel Lycanthrope II: Revelations. (All alien invasion sagas are but footnotes to H.G. Wells. So, I listened to the music as I generated story ideas. Not that I stole from it, mind you.) Of the various versions, it's the most faithful to the original book. (The others aren't even about the same characters! They just use the same premise--that humanity is getting roasted.)

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, they say...
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Howling Fan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Howling Fan »

I just saw it for free last night (my friend works at a theater), and I wasn't as impressed as everyone else. The special effects, of course, were top notch, but the story was just "run, run, run, watch people die, run some more, then there's more destruction, etc." Plus, I found the kids VERY annoying. I almost wanted them to die. And, without giving anything away, the ending regarding the son Robbie (?) didn't make any sense whatsoever. I think people who saw the movie know what I'm talking about. It's on a bootleg DVD for five bucks down the block from me, but I'm not gonna bother getting it.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Howling Fan wrote:I just saw it for free last night (my friend works at a theater), and I wasn't as impressed as everyone else. The special effects, of course, were top notch, but the story was just "run, run, run, watch people die, run some more, then there's more destruction, etc." Plus, I found the kids VERY annoying. I almost wanted them to die. And, without giving anything away, the ending regarding the son Robbie (?) didn't make any sense whatsoever. I think people who saw the movie know what I'm talking about. It's on a bootleg DVD for five bucks down the block from me, but I'm not gonna bother getting it.
Thats another reason why I don't like going to the theater. Annoying kids.
One had to bring a small squirt gun into the theater. He shot water into the air and it landed on a few people. Including me!!

As for bootleg DVDs, I never touch them. I wait for the real deal.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Howling Fan wrote:Plus, I found the kids VERY annoying. I almost wanted them to die.
This is why I go in the middle of the day, when they're in school.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Howling Fan wrote:Plus, I found the kids VERY annoying. I almost wanted them to die.
Thats during the school year. You'll have to put up with them during the summer.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:
Lupin wrote:
Thats during the school year. You'll have to put up with them during the summer.
During the summer they're usually in daycare.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Lupin wrote:
During the summer they're usually in daycare.
Daycare? oh, you're talking about little itty bitty wee type kids. :pupmale: :pupfemale: :pupmale:
Howling Fan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Howling Fan »

Maybe my message confused people, but I was referring to the annoying kids in the actual movie, not the movie theater, though I've been to many showings when the kids in the audience ruined it. A group of young teens during a showing of "The Village" were kicked out; they were so loud, you couldn't hear the movie at all. And when I was a kid and saw "Lady in the Tramp," after the old dog is run over by the car at the end, a kid screamed, "He's not dead!" Apparently, he saw the movie before.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:Daycare? oh, you're talking about little itty bitty wee type kids. :pupmale: :pupfemale: :pupmale:
Yeah. I've never had much of a problem with teenagers. Other than incessantly checking my watch during the film, I was pretty good in the theater. (I still check it, I've just learned how to use the glow from the projector to do it.)
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

I personally liked the movie, but I just inwardly groaned at how many stupid moves people were pulling in this film.

Okay people, quick rundown time.... If you ever find yourself in which the country is being invaded and the government has mostly collapsed, keep the following in mind.

do NOT seek out large population centers, heck, stay away from population centers period. As much danger as invaders are going to present, other human beings whom are panicking and FAR more likely to be a danger to you in the near term. People tend to panic more easily in large crowds, so try to stay in groups of 12 or less people during any one period of time.

Remember kids, there's stupidity in numbers. 8)

If you're in the country-side, find the deepest hole you can and STAY THERE, until you have a good reason to move. If you don't live in the country-side, then get out of dodge, but do it smoothly. Get as far from people as you can in a short period of time, find a hole, and stay there until it's either dark out or until things have died down. Continue this proccess until you're far enough away from civilization as to avoid being an instant target.

Grabing some food before leaving is a smart idea, but you'd be even smarter to grab a water-purification pump. Humans can go weeks with little to no food but can only go a few days without water. If you have a gun, take it with you. If you have multiple guns, grab one that's light wieght, reliable, and which you have plenty of ammo for. Even if you avoid people you'll still need a gun to hunt-down food or as insurence. This gun will also have to last you for awhile unless you're really lucky so I can't emphasize how many bullets you'll need.

Form groups cautiously. Don't just team up with anybody, ideally you want to go through such an ordeal with friends and family. However if that's out of the question, then my best advice would be to approach people cautiously and to only form a group with them if you can connect with eachother quickly. This may seem trivial, but you will HAVE to trust any partners you have or any cooperation you have will fall apart once things really get rough.

Okay, for now that's probably enough.
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Figarou wrote:
Lupin wrote:
just go at a time thats past their bed time, or sit in the front :P
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Who the crap would take little kids to go see War of the Worlds? It's PG-13, meaning it could be a bit much for someone young enough to need daycare or to bring a squirt gun to the theater and fidget with it randomly. You don't take a four-year-old to see this kind of thing, unless you want them to grow up to be neurotic astronomers who watch Mars obsessively, have nightmares about red foliage and tentacles, and listen to Jeff Wayne backwards to hear messages from space.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Sadly people have a tendency to use previous bad behavior to justify current bad behavior.... for example....

I saw many parents, bringing thier 2-3 year old kids to see both Spiderman and Spiderman 2 despite the fact that both films were rated PG-13, same with the latest Batman and the same with many films ranging from X-men to Daredevil.

Now, useually when I asked, say, my aunt about this *whom is guilty of doing this,* she would respond that "Spiderman, Batman, etc etc etc, are childrens characters, it doesn't matter if it's rated PG-13 or not because it's not serious, it's just childrens characters."

I won't go into the fallecy of that logic. However I theorize that every-time a parent rationalizes bringing thier children to see something PG-13 or greater, they're more likely to bring them in for other similer rated films, even if the topic is highly inappropriot for children. After all, "they were just fine that last time, why not again?"

Seriously though, there are a lot of irresponsible parents out there and the rating system we have doesn't really help matters much.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

WolvenOne wrote:Now, useually when I asked, say, my aunt about this *whom is guilty of doing this,* she would respond that "Spiderman, Batman, etc etc etc, are childrens characters, it doesn't matter if it's rated PG-13 or not because it's not serious, it's just childrens characters."

I won't go into the fallecy of that logic.
How about the fact that there is a complete lack of logic there?
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Because so many super-hero properties have been marketed at children so heavily over the years with lunchboxes and toys and whatever, parents can no longer approach these characters without pre-judging them as "childrens characters." It's completly illogical and the lack of logic would be seen with even a little bit of thought, but parents are often conditioned to think this way and refuse to do the minimal amount of thinking neccesery to realize thier error.

*sigh*

Alas thinking is not the most common of past-times anymore.
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Scott Gardener wrote:Who the crap would take little kids to go see War of the Worlds? It's PG-13, meaning it could be a bit much for someone young enough to need daycare or to bring a squirt gun to the theater and fidget with it randomly. You don't take a four-year-old to see this kind of thing, unless you want them to grow up to be neurotic astronomers who watch Mars obsessively, have nightmares about red foliage and tentacles, and listen to Jeff Wayne backwards to hear messages from space.
no its A-14 :D
Howling Fan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Howling Fan »

Scott Gardener wrote:Who the crap would take little kids to go see War of the Worlds? It's PG-13, meaning it could be a bit much for someone young enough to need daycare or to bring a squirt gun to the theater and fidget with it randomly.
That's nothing. I've seen 8-year-olds at "R"-rated movies. People don't care here on the Island.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Howling Fan wrote:
Scott Gardener wrote:Who the crap would take little kids to go see War of the Worlds? It's PG-13, meaning it could be a bit much for someone young enough to need daycare or to bring a squirt gun to the theater and fidget with it randomly.
That's nothing. I've seen 8-year-olds at "R"-rated movies. People don't care here on the Island.
As a conservative Mormon, the concept of taking an 8 year old to at R-rated film is not only near-unfathomable to me but also repugnent. No wonder the nations youth is so screwed up so often.