Body Language

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Body Language

Post by Rosiewolf »

For wolves, body language is very important and I was wondering, would body language be just as important to werewolves as it is for wolves, since humans generally don't use body language as a way to communicate?
(I hope no one has posted a topic like this already, I searched for it, but couldn't find anything).
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Body Language

Post by Berserker »

Actually, body language is integral to human communication, since we are a visual species. Our faces alone are the most expressive in the animal kingdom, and we portray an incredible range of emotions with them, both consciously and involuntarily.

So yes, I'd say body language is as important to werewolves as it is to wolves, and humans.

Did you know that we humans can communicate with wolves, too? Using only body language. In fact, wolves respond far better to gestures and facial cues than to verbal commands; that's how we are able to teach them things.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Actually, body language would be more important to a Wulf when fuzzy than to him/her when Passing in Smooth.
Wulf and Wolf faces are not as well muscled for facial display as human faces, so subtle communication would have to default to the whole body, rather than just the face.

Since a Wulf has both Human and Wolf "feelings" inside, body language is probably more important to them than to either source species.

Thus, my take is that a Werewolf would be more physically expressive than either Wolf or Human, since there is more "information" to convey.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

@Berserker: This is very, very true.

I convey ideas to my canine companion, a Samoyed, via visual gestures. And people wonder how I can 'talk' to him, they frequently ignore the body language and gestures I use in order to convey an idea to him. They hear a sentence or a couple of words, and they think that's how it's done... the end result is that he doesn't 'listen' to anyone but me.

This is because I don't command him, whenever I need him to do something, I do my best to convey it with visual gestures which I find he responds better to. It's also a very effective way of ensuring that not just anyone can try to order him around, which I don't think I'd like.