Proportions

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Proportions

Post by Silverclaw »

So, any ideas about the proportions of a werewolf? I think the arms should be slightly longer in their werewolf form; easier for running on all fours. The spine would proably have to be attached higher up on the skull so when on all fours, they faces are not facing towards the ground like humans. I think they should have normal wolf muzzles, none of those half muzzles seen in lots of movies.
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

The chest would be deeper. Not neccesarily broader, but the ribs would press out in the front more, like an animal.
hydrocarbon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Random passerby

Tail?

Post by hydrocarbon »

I'm wondering how long the tail should be, which would depend on how the werewolf walks, I guess. It'd be necessary for balance especially because of the digitigrade legs structure, but how long is too long? I think it should hang past the knees, maybe to the hocks ('upraised heel').
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

Tails usually seem to at least be thigh-length, for balance.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

arm length may be a problem. After all, even if they're using some CGI, they do have to use prostetics and people in suites at least some of the time.....

So unless you find an actor whose arms are longer... *shrugs*
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

WolvenOne wrote:arm length may be a problem. After all, even if they're using some CGI, they do have to use prostetics and people in suites at least some of the time.....

So unless you find an actor whose arms are longer... *shrugs*
not really. All you need is arm extentions.
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightmareHero »

Ok I'm going to post two Gif images here, They are not werewolves, but rather cat girls, the reason I am posting them is because they have digigrade legs, and the gifs are animated, to see how they would move on two and four. It also shows that they can have arms of normal length, but then again take into account this is a GIF

Here they are:

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Whoa!!

I don't like that illustration at all. Sorry, bad example.

me no likey.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I'm sorry...I know that those pictures were intended to show how a form could move naturally given the described proportions, and I know that you asked that I take into account that they are just gif s, but... That looks totally unnatural. I don't see how that is a good example of anything. :?
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightmareHero »

Yes now that you mention it, the movement is stiff, but the positions that they take in both stances seem to LOOK porportionally correct, all that is needed is to make a fluid and realistic movement of the body.
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

Legs are too scrunched. It'd never work.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Think-Harder wrote:... all that is needed is to make a fluid and realistic movement of the body.
Right... find an example of that and then show it to us, because I'm not covinced by that image.
Lasthowl wrote:Legs are too scrunched. It'd never work.
I agree.
I do believe that dual posture is possible...but not like that. What's with the walking on the knuckles?
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Yeah that picture is vastly unproportional. The foot should NEVER be longer than the leg itself. Because of this, the animation on all fours looks horribly bunched together.
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

Well, that and it's animating by moving the hips/shoulders, and that's not really how anything moves.
Werewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Werewolf »

Lasthowl wrote:Legs are too scrunched. It'd never work.
I agree, plus running would make it even worse with those proportions. The arms should be a bit longer though, sure you can walk on all fours with normal length arms but it is much to awkward and they wouldn't be able to run very well in my opinion like a wolf should be able to.

The proportions of the legs to the arms should be closer to each other, maybe not exact like a wolves but close enough to allow them to move quick on all fours... if the legs are too much longer then the arms it throws the whole balance off and instead of getting a running stride you get something like a hopping motion due to the fact the legs have to be brought in and scrunched as mentioned, werewolves should be able to run swift on all fours much closer to like a real wolf but maybe not as swift.

A wolf running full stride is beautiful to see ^..^
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Personally the best thing I've seen so far that has proportions that I lean towards is the werewolf designed by Rowsby. It seems a good balance to me, and is already in line with some of the things we've designed already.

I'm giving it a shot to get Rowsby involved in this, he's quite busy, but we'll see if anything can be worked out.

http://www.rowsby.com
Werewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Werewolf »

ABrownrigg wrote:Personally the best thing I've seen so far that has proportions that I lean towards is the werewolf designed by Rowsby. It seems a good balance to me, and is already in line with some of the things we've designed already.

I'm giving it a shot to get Rowsby involved in this, he's quite busy, but we'll see if anything can be worked out.

Yeah Ive seen his site before, he does some nice work; his werewolf looks pretty good too ^..^
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Oh, he's very good, though his werewolves heads look a little too wolfish to me.

Er, to clarify, thier skulls look a little too small to house a human sized brain.

Minor gripe though I know.
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightmareHero »

ABrownrigg wrote:Personally the best thing I've seen so far that has proportions that I lean towards is the werewolf designed by Rowsby. It seems a good balance to me, and is already in line with some of the things we've designed already.

Go for it, I whole heartedly agree that he could do the design of the males and females justice, and maybe even implement a TF for both models, based on what I saw him do with the werebear animation.

Though I must admit, the face looked feral, and not like a real wolf, which if your intention is to have them be personified as people and not all as monsters, that may not work, but other than that the body was superbly designed.

And if you need our help in convinceing him, just say the word and I'm sure we could send countless email messages asking him to do it :-P
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Mmm... yeah... they did end up looking a bit inherently angry didn't they.

Oh well, those Werewolf animations look to be fairly quick models created for a 5 second long commercial. I'm fairly sure this fellow would hadle things differently for a movie.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

I've been to Rowsby's site before. The animation looks great. I think he'll be happy to do some animation work for you guys.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I really like his designs, though I think the tails should be a bit longer :)
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

I like his work,the werewolf looks great,i especially like its head,the body should look a little more ferocious though it doens;t seem to suit the head very much(love the head).
"The Wolf in Me...desires the Sheep in you."
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Realism is more important then ferociousness methinks.

Real werewolves faces, don't look inherently mean, so I don't think werewolves would look inherently monsterous or mean either.
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightmareHero »

Think-Harder wrote:

Go for it, I whole heartedly agree that he could do the design of the males and females justice, and maybe even implement a TF for both models, based on what I saw him do with the werebear animation.

Though I must admit, the face looked feral, and not like a real wolf, which if your intention is to have them be personified as people and not all as monsters, that may not work, but other than that the body was superbly designed.

And if you need our help in convinceing him, just say the word and I'm sure we could send countless email messages asking him to do it :-P
Never mind, I stand corrected, I just watched the facial animations AGAIN....hmm, maybe it was the fangs sticking out....... :?: